• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Animal Crossing Castaways

Votes: 1,027 54.1%
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Midgar

Votes: 870 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Most Nintendo games don't do over 16 million.
?
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Their bigger IP are indeed doing 16 and most of that is at a higher price. Those games arent going to stop selling either.
AC is now where near UC right now which has done over 17 million plus in a shorter time.
In fact even most of Nintendo IP not reach that number yet on switch but i expect some will of course ( not that i think FFVIIR part 1 will sell that much).
See the link and post above.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Not sure where some people confidence come from on FFVII Remake. Don't get me wrong there's a good chance it will be the best selling FF ever and outsell Animal Crossing.

But FF VII alone among other FF games only managed to reach this comparable sales with portable Animal Crossing entries after multiple releases. Add to that Switch games just keeps breaking record for Nintendo ip

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Different fanbases, so I doubt they'll eat into each other's sales, but I expect Animal Crossing to outsell FF7 in the long term.

FF7 is going to be front loaded in sales and drop off after a few months (with it resurging for a PS5 port or prior to the next part's release).

Animal Crossing is an evergreen title for Nintendo. It'll keep selling over time gradually.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Let's look at the PS4 conference of dreams.

The Last Guardian probably sold less than 2M.
Shenmue 3 was a total wet fart
Based on this trend, I project FFVIIR to sell negative 2M copies.

Meanwhile Animal Crossing was revealed in the same direct as Luigi's Mansion 3. This last game sold 140% of its predecessor, which, if we extend the trend to AC, would mean total sales of 17M games. So AC will outsell FFVIIR by at least 19 million copies.

This is simple mathematical truth.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Being ignorant here but is FF still a big contender? Remember FF15 tanking in price pretty quickly in the UK.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a fair comparison
One is a full fledged game and the other is the first episode of a remake.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Yeah, I am sure many PS4 users will buy Animal Crossing and many Switch users will buy FF7R. /s

wtf is this thread ?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
FF will sell more in march but AC will sell more lifetime

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing has the broadest appeal so will more than likely say more, which is common sense really. That begs the question, what is the point of this thread?

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I suspect FF7 will have more front-loaded sales, and come out on top in the opening month. That's a game you can market to demographics that will be there on day one, and given its pedigree, it partially markets itself. Animal Crossing on the other hand is one of those titles that comes out and doesn't stop selling, even when the generation's fading. It's likely to Turtle ✕ Hare this race.

FF7 also had the issue that it's a cut-up game, with more parts on the way. I'd also suspect that a next gen version of it is inevitable as well. Those are the types of factors that might make people hold off, and wait for a later re-release or compilation.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Let's look at the PS4 conference of dreams.

The Last Guardian probably sold less than 2M.
Shenmue 3 was a total wet fart
Based on this trend, I project FFVIIR to sell negative 2M copies.

Meanwhile Animal Crossing was revealed in the same direct as Luigi's Mansion 3. This last game sold 140% of its predecessor, which, if we extend the trend to AC, would mean total sales of 17M games. So AC will outsell FFVIIR by at least 19 million copies.

This is simple mathematical truth.

This all completely makes sense, solid maths.

Just in case people think this is a real post, /s

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention the X1 and successor ports down the line as well.

To think that a massive selling title on just one console will be able to outsell the multiplatform juggernaut is definitely a bit uhh... strange.
That's not really how this works though

Like a multi platform release will help, but you can't take one systems sales and multiply it.

for instance it'll probably sell a lot less on Xbox and PC than PS4. Maybe only a couple million total.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a fair comparison
One is a full fledged game and the other is the first episode of a remake.
it's a bit reductive to call it a first episode. it's a whole full priced game with a longer development cycle than most AAA games. the fact that there are sequels planned doesn't make it a non-complete game.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Most Nintendo games don't do over 16 million.
MK8D is already at 17 million

last numbers for Odyssey, Smash and BotW put them over 15m. After Black Friday now and as we get into the holidays they all will probably go well over 16m. Honestly BotW may already be over 16m counting the Wii U version I'm just playing it safe.

But yeah, AC and Pokemon will definitely reach that threshold too

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
If we are to make comparisons, AC will take this, no contest. FF7R will probably be a relatively short game (compared to other FF titles) since it's only a small part of the whole and once people realize that, demand will fall as I think a lot of people will wait for the whole game, like me for example.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Pretending FF7R would be day and date on PC so I'd have access to it, I would still get Animal Crossing.
Those games do something for me that no other series can. Peak relaxation.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
MK8D is already at 17 million

last numbers for Odyssey, Smash and BotW put them over 15m. After Black Friday now and as we get into the holidays they all will probably go well over 16m. Honestly BotW may already be over 16m counting the Wii U version I'm just playing it safe.

But yeah, AC and Pokemon will definitely reach that threshold too
This doesn't go against what I said though.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
FF7 is likely to eventually release on multiple platforms, including PC, and next gen consoles. It will be that.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
FF7 is likely to eventually release on multiple platforms, including PC, and next gen consoles. It will be that.
I don't follow sales too much, but how much do later ports end up adding to totals? I was under the impression the bulk of sales are done at or around release and that while ports can do well, they're rarely comparable numbers to the game's first run.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
AC is very likely going to be an evergreen title. FF7R will sell more out of the gate (and get a boost from the inevitable PS5 up-port) but AC will be a bigger seller in the long run.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Another Sony v Nintendo thread with a different mask on...aren't you guys getting tired of it ? lol

As to the question - it's likely gonna be AC unless Nintendo screws it up. 7R will have sold most of it's copies by end of March ....while AC will sell through the summer and have another big surge during the Holidays 2020.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Animal crossing will sell more over time because it is a bigger Nintendo title and by the time FFVII remake launches the new consoles should be unveiled, which could cut the legs for any game coming out as people start saving for PS5

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Animal crossing will sell more over time because it is a bigger Nintendo title and by the time FFVII remake launches the new consoles should be unveiled, which could cut the legs for any game coming out as people start saving for PS5
PS5 isn't a factor and the game will run on it as well. It's a single player JRPG remake....it won't chart for years and the legs aren't gonna get cut short because of the PS5, because these kind of games don't have massive legs to begin with.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The poll being this close is peak Era bubble.

The kind of people that flock to AC en masse are not the kind of people to be on a gamer forum like this, let alone vote in this poll. That's where AC gets its big bucks from, and that's why it wins hands-down, especially over lifetime.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
People really, really love Animal Crossing so I voted that. I'm not even going to think about the game a week after it's release personally, but I respect it's popularity.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I think people in this thread are really underestimating the overlap in Final Fantasy and Animal Crossing audience. Final Fantasy has a more diverse audience than a lot of other AAA series, and Animal Crossing... well, Nintendo is for everyone.

My FFXIV free company discord talks mostly about Pokemon these days lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.