• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Animal Crossing Castaways

Votes: 1,027 54.1%
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Midgar

Votes: 870 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Ranger

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chile/France
Well this is an interesting one at least.

If we are talking lifetime, no RPG will ever top Animal Crossing which will likely end up close to 20 millions

If you consider FF VII fir the PS4 only it will struggle to reach 10M, in the case it gets ported to PC/xbox/Ps5 (that will most likely) we are looking at a real challenger for animal crossing.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
i think AC gonna beat FF7 in Japan
Assuming that New Horizons doesn't fall off a cliff compared to New Leaf and Wild World, I don't think it's going to be much of a fight in Japan. Those two games did over 5 million units apiece, bigger than any Pokémon games since Red/Green, and are somewhere in the top 10 best-selling games of all time in Japan.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Animal Crossing a juggernaut, even if people are unaware of its status as one. There's also plenty of Final Fantasy fans (like me) that are passing on FF7R. It's not a guaranteed home run title for global sales. The sales for both will be closer than many people would expect.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol no, I just meant games that come out in March 2020. FF VII Remake have the most lifetime sales from that group. OwO sowwy for accidentally structuring my sentence wrong.
it's ok :)
we'll see, but i think you're underestimating the legs of an animal crossing game. JRPGs of any kind (that aren't called pokemon) have famously short legs. they sell most of what they'll ever sell in the first year. even pokemon has considerably shorter legs compared to other nintendo series. animal crossing is going to sell a good amount of copies every quarter until 2025, probably later.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow poll is neck to neck. People really love their Animal Crossing.

Wish I had a Switch to see whats all the fuzz is about.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is the poll so close? To me it's pretty obvious that AC is going to sell more, just look at the sales of past games, and with the jump to Switch that's just going to be too much for FF to match.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
tumblr_pkokwoicNF1u438yjo1_400.gifv
Lmao.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
The real question of the thread is what people see as the upper bounds of these two franchises, and if these games will hit those points for both

Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, and it's on a growth trajectory; it's very quiet about that, but that's also unavoidable and true. The series saw massive growth on handhelds compared to the console iterations, and New Leaf is one of the very few 3DS games to outsell its DS equivalent. If New Horizons receives a Switch Boost (tm) comparable to 3D Mario, it could push north of 15 million units; if it receives a Switch Boost (tm) comparable to 3D Zelda or Smash, it could end up closer to 20 million. But then, it might not receive a boost at all; it's hard to guess.

Final Fantasy 7's first part is harder to get a ballpark for. The PS1 version was the best-selling single SKU in franchise history, and the tails on Square Enix games are often hard to measure. The original FF7 is a bit of an odd duck in that it's come to over forty-five thousand different platforms, and after all those platforms and 22 years on the market it's sold slightly less than New Leaf has. But is this fact representative of the ultimate sales potential of its remake ('s first part)? Could FF7R break the mold for the series? If so, what is the upper boundary of what we expect it to sell?

I haven't mentioned if I mean FF7R on one platform or many because I'm more curious about the decision-making processes that inform these conclusion. It seems that a lot of people in here expect FF7R to outsell the original, which is pretty interesting: in video game remakes, that's exceedingly rare.

All by which I mean to say:

Does anyone have actual ballparks they expect these games to sell at? Does someone expect, for instance, that ACNH will sell 15 million copies while FF7R will sell 18 million? Granted any of these would be blind shots in the dark, but I'm curious

Last edited:

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
As someone who completed FFVII back in the day on his PS1 and owns the port on all 3 consoles, it boggles my mind that some people think it will outsell Animal Crossing. FFVIIR will be stronger out of the gate, but by the end of the year AC will rule the roost.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
FFVII simply doesn't have the legs to beat AC. The fact that this is even a remotely close poll is laughable

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R will sell more day 1, and possibly more through the end of 2020, but Animal Crossing will sell more by the end of its lifetime.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people not know how huge Animal Crossing is and how great the legs will be? Also, most Nintendo first party games are selling their best on switch.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think both will hit franchise highs, but the upper bound for AC is much higher than FF as an IP. I don't think FF7 getting possible ports to PS5 and Scarlett will impact it as much either when AC will have among the best legs of any Switch game whereas JRPGs are extremely frontloaded.

The only Switch games that will be on AC's level are Mario Kart, Smash, and Pokemon. 15 to 20 million is the current range I'm guessing for the game.

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
AC has the chance blow beyond the previous series high that eclipse the highest FF. This is easy, AC wins. Japan alone is a huge swing for it. I could see AC outnumbering FF7r by 4:1 domestically.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Japan sales for the last entries in the series:

NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 335.425 5.241.655 Nintendo 23/11/2005
3DS Animal Crossing: New Leaf [All Versions] 721.786 5.120.920 Nintendo 08/11/2012
3DS Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer 516.381 1.544.983 Nintendo 30/07/2015
WII Animal Crossing: City Folk 303.204 1.221.459 Nintendo 20/11/2008

PS4 Final Fantasy XV [All Versions] 716.649 1.135.340 Square Enix 29/11/2016

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I think both will hit franchise highs, but the upper bound for AC is much higher than FF as an IP. I don't think FF7 getting possible ports to PS5 and Scarlett will impact it as much either when AC will have among the best legs of any Switch game whereas JRPGs are extremely frontloaded.

The only Switch games that will be on AC's level are Mario Kart, Smash, and Pokemon. 15 to 20 million is the current range I'm guessing for the game.
Interestingly, I think there's a non-zero chance that Breath of the Wild could be at (more or less) sales parity with Smash over a long enough timeframe.

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 7's first part is harder to get a ballpark for. The PS1 version was the best-selling single SKU in franchise history, and the tails on Square Enix games are often hard to measure. The original FF7 is a bit of an odd duck in that it's come to over forty-five thousand different platforms, and after all those platforms and 22 years on the market it's sold slightly less than New Leaf has. But is this fact representative of the ultimate sales potential of its remake ('s first part)? Could FF7R break the mold for the series? If so, what is the upper boundary of what we expect it to sell?

I haven't mentioned if I mean FF7R on one platform or many because I'm more curious about the decision-making processes that inform these conclusion. It seems that a lot of people in here expect FF7R to outsell the original, which is pretty interesting: in video game remakes, that's exceedingly rare.

All by which I mean to say:

Does anyone have actual ballparks they expect these games to sell at? Does someone expect, for instance, that ACNH will sell 15 million copies while FF7R will sell 18 million? Granted any of these would be blind shots in the dark, but I'm curious

I think RE:2R can give us some reference to speculate on this matter.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/resident-evil-2/resident-evil-2-sales

Another thing, Final Fantasy 7 will be divided in multiple games, will we count them apart? Even if the answer is positive, with each release of the next episode/game, the sales of the first one will be boosted, at the moment the game is also exclusive on PS4, but it is possible that after a certain time it will be put on PC and Xbox too. I think you can expect it to sell more than the original one at least.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I think RE:2R can give us some reference to speculate on this matter.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/resident-evil-2/resident-evil-2-sales

Another thing, Final Fantasy 7 will be divided in multiple games, will we count them apart? Even if the answer is positive, with each release of the next episode/game, the sales of the first one will be boosted, at the moment the game is also exclusive on PS4, but it is possible that after a certain time it will be put on PC and Xbox too. I think you can expect it to sell more than the original one at least.
This is an interesting comparison, thank you.

Since you bring up multiplatform possibilities for the FF7 Remake, I feel it salient to point out that, due to how Capcom tracks SKUs for their older titles, their listing for the original RE2 doesn't give a good picture of how much the game sold. Other versions of it—Windows, Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, to say nothing of purely digital versions—sold less than a million units individually, but in aggregate place the game a fair bit higher than the listing on Capcom's site indicates. RE2's remake has done very well, but I don't think it's goign to end up outselling the original across the different releases that got.

To clarify: this question and comparison is very strictly about the first part of the FF7 remake

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
AC might sell more lifetime, but I think people are grossly underestimating how big a release FFVIIR will be.

Don't treat it like it's just another JRPG. Don't even treat it like any other Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy VII is beloved by a wide segment of society that have otherwise lapsed out of gaming, and is very likely to bring a lot of people who haven't played a game in years.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I'm sure Nintendo will print money with the latest AC but I'm exponentially more excited about FFVII. Sure, it's fun building a home and making friends, but Midgar will be so much more fun for me to explore.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AC will sell big, lifetime, sure.

But we're not only talking about the FF7 remake ep1 that'll get a TON of marketing from both Square and Sony here, on top of nostalgia factor.
We're talking about a multiplatform title that will at the very least end up being both PS4 and PC, if not XB1 as well, and will then probably go through another surge when getting a Next Gen patch.

People answering AC are letting their bias talk imo.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think AC will be one to keep an eye on for sure. People have been waiting a long time for a new AC game. We've still not seen much of it so I'll reserve judgement for now but I'm really glad that there is a new Animal Crossing game coming out soon as there isn't much quite like it.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

But we're not only talking about the FF7 remake ep1 that'll get a TON of marketing from both Square and Sony here, on top of nostalgia factor.
We're talking about a multiplatform title that will at the very least end up being both PS4 and PC, if not XB1 as well, and will then probably go through another surge when getting a Next Gen patch.

Or are people that know that Animal Crossing as a series has historically sold much better than Final Fantasy and Nintendo titles on Switch are seeing growth over previous titles.

So even if Final Fantasy 7 sells more than a typical entry in the Final Fantasy series, New Horizons probably will too, which would put it above. The Japan difference will be immense too, as I put in my post above. Wild World and New Leaf are both in the Top 10 best selling games of all time in Japan.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think FF7 is going to sell nearly as well as some ITT think it will lol. I think the audience for that game is going to be a part of the fanbase of the original game (while the other part won't buy it because it's not traditional enough in the gameplay department) and a part of the audience who bought FFXV - but I don't think they'll equate to huge numbers.

I also wonder how much the sales will be effected once the casual audience realizes this is only "part 1" of the entire game..

Meanwhile, not only is Animal Crossing on the up and up in terms of popularity in sales (New Leaf did HUGE numbers) - that game is a system seller, for sure.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

How much do you think each will sell over time?

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Lifetime and with multiple platforms, including deep discounts when more episodes drop, and at the end a "full" version?

I see FF7ep1 as a COD-like, 15m-20m+, whereas AC will do AC at 10m+.
That's intense! You're expecting FF7 Part 1 to do 50-100% more than the original SKU—so you see it as a more appealing product than the original game, then?

I suppose it's a bit doofy but I think 10m would actually be a pretty disappointing lifetime result for Animal Crossing. It would establish that the game is read as a console title on the Switch, rather than a handheld one

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lifetime and with multiple platforms, including deep discounts when more episodes drop, and at the end a "full" version?

Really? That's some serious wishful thinking IMO.

I also think Animal Crossing is quickly becoming one of Nintendo's top-tier franchises. It'll do big-ass numbers.

Nov 8, 2017
Gotta go with Animal Crossing, but I do hope FF7R gets a big boost from all the younger gamers out there that never played the original. Maybe it will do what it did in 1997 and introduce the mainstream to JRPGs.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's intense! You're expecting FF7 Part 1 to do 50-100% more than the original SKU—so you see it as a more appealing product than the original game, then?

I suppose it's a bit doofy but I think 10m would actually be a pretty disappointing lifetime result for Animal Crossing. It would establish that the game is read as a console title on the Switch, rather than a handheld one
Well, at 11m we are looking at a title that was way past its prime when it opened to more platforms, and a tech (PS1 level 3D) that was actively working against it.
Not only is nostalgia going to work full time on PS4 (and then 5), it'll rapidly be expanded to multiple platforms and will be a quasi evergreen with its episodic release and then a "special" complete edition I bet.
We are also looking at a potential (eventual) port to Switch 2, if not a downgraded one on Switch.

Yeah... Not seeing it (AC over FF7Rep1 lifetime).

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hmm, there needs to be some qualifiers here op

Jimmy Joe would it count if FFVII is ported a bunch of times to PC and next gen consoles? Or are we just talking the first SKU on PS4 vs the new Animal Crossing, cause I think AC wins that battle clearly. Once you start getting PC and next gen involved, it gets muddy

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019

What makes you think that AC will sell worse on Switch than it did on DS/3DS, when the majority of series have performed better with their releases on the new console?

Status
Not open for further replies.