• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Animal Crossing Castaways

Votes: 1,027 54.1%
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Midgar

Votes: 870 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Nintendo would have to do something really wrong with Animal Crossing to not sell over FFVII in its lifetime.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Animal Crossing is going to well well both day 1 and continue to sell a decent amount of copies 2 years after release. I think FF7 is going to do extremely well the first week but in the long run it's not going to sell as many copies. I don't think it's going to be as crazy as when it first launched either i think the episode thing has soured a lot of people and who knows how many are just going to wait until the full experience is out.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Hmm, there needs to be some qualifiers here op

Jimmy Joe would it count if FFVII is ported a bunch of times to PC and next gen consoles? Or are we just talking the first SKU on PS4 vs the new Animal Crossing, cause I think AC wins that battle clearly. Once you start getting PC and next gen involved, it gets muddy
Irresponsible though it may be, I left these qualifiers off specifically because I'm curious to see the reasoning that people end up using; there have been arguments in favor of FF7 coming from the perspective of one SKU as well as from a multiplat

Given that we're counting all the re-releases that the first FF7 got (I think they ended up adding an additional 2 million units over the course of 15 years?) I suppose it would make sense to count eventual ports of Part 1 of the remake? But I might not count ports of a complete collection, myself

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wow poll is neck to neck. People really love their Animal Crossing.

Wish I had a Switch to see whats all the fuzz is about.
It's a cute game that's fun if you have the time to dedicate to it and availability throughout the day, as there are specific date and time events. I enjoyed it several years ago, but it just requires so much of your time and I can't justify dedicating so much of it to a single game anymore. With that said, I'm sure it's still hugely popular among kids and teenagers.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What makes you think that AC will sell worse on Switch than it did on DS/3DS, when the majority of series have performed better with their releases on the new console?
Not necessarily worse, but probably same-ish, say 10-12m when all is said and done.
Unless the game ends up terrible and ladden with mts and other stuff that might leave a bad taste... Then probably less. But then again, no reason to think that would happen.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I like how some people go "FFVII will be the much better game" based on absolutely nothing but action/pg 17 bias. Its just very obvious how people dismiss a game like animal crossing because its a chill game that is not action or "epic" or whatever. There's also nostalgia for it, i understand that, but i am sure deep in my heart hardcore gamer bias is still a huge thing in these discussions.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
FFVII will do pretty well for a PS4 game in Japan (probably a little better than DQXI) but AC will probably be one of the best selling Switch games in the territory. I think that is going to be the big factor that pushes it over globally.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a cute game that's fun if you have the time to dedicate to it and availability throughout the day, as there are specific date and time events. I enjoyed it several years ago, but it just requires so much of your time and I can't justify dedicating so much of it to a single game anymore. With that said, I'm sure it's still hugely popular among kids and teenagers.
I always thought Animal Crossing situation as same as how people joke about Cod and Pokemon fan base.
Marketed towards kids, majority played by adults.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Not necessarily worse, but probably same-ish, say 10-12m when all is said and done.
Unless the game ends up terrible and ladden with mts and other stuff that might leave a bad taste... Then probably less. But then again, no reason to think that would happen.
I just can't see it not getting a Switch boost honestly. I know it hasn't been a case for all games but this is a title that I see *a lot* of people pining for (especially outside of the more hardcore market) and it's been a while since the last main entry. Being an NSO voucher game will help as well I think, I could see this topping 15m lifetime quite easily.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
The Switch is the dominant console and proven evergreen software seller both in Japan and worldwide. As such, Animal Crossing will easily outsell FF.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
To this day i still don't understand what animal crossing is or why it sells so much...

But i don't understand fortnite success too, so it's probably my fault.

Sure thing is that nintendo is the smartest developer ever, they make games like ac or pokemon with small budgets and they sell more than games with 1000x times the budget...

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
To this day i still don't understand what animal crossing is or why it sells so much...

But i don't understand fortnite success too, so it's probably my fault.

Sure thing is that nintendo is the smartest developer ever, they make games like ac or pokemon with small budgets and they sell more than games with 1000x times the budget...
Animal Crossing—to me, a person who will be playing the games for the first time in March—is a series about interest-free mortgages that can be paid at your own pace, and where home ownership is a given rather than a privilege

It's also a series about living a life that isn't predicated on either drudgery or violence

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy due to budget of marketing and multiplatform nature. You get a PS4 huge swansong release. PS5 huge re-release with bonus chapter so plenty of double dippers. Xbox release / PC release..... re-release before chapter 2 possible, Switch 2 port etc etc across everything in 5 years it could easily do 20 million+

Animal Crossing is a juggernaut but is limited to mayb 5 or 6 years on one platform.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Final Fantasy due to budget of marketing and multiplatform nature. You get a PS4 huge swansong release. PS5 huge re-release with bonus chapter so plenty of double dippers. Xbox release / PC release..... re-release before chapter 2 possible, Switch 2 port etc etc across everything in 5 years it could easily do 20 million+

Animal Crossing is a juggernaut but is limited to mayb 5 or 6 years on one platform.
Wouldn't they just use the same PS4 disc & just have the PS5 run the game at a higher resolution &/or frame rate (see PS4 -> PS4 Pro)?

With that said, there's enough of a time gap between the two games to where I can reasonably get both.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is Animal Crossing besting Final Fantasy VII in this poll...

Is Animal Crossing a sales monster? I know the handheld versions did exceptionally well, but to my knowledge the console versions never sold nearly as much as the handheld releases.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I can see 1st month going to FF7 and yearly being AC.
FF7 legs may be cut by a potential rerelease on next gen.
AC will be here for literal years.

Nov 23, 2017
it's ok :)
we'll see, but i think you're underestimating the legs of an animal crossing game. JRPGs of any kind (that aren't called pokemon) have famously short legs. they sell most of what they'll ever sell in the first year. even pokemon has considerably shorter legs compared to other nintendo series. animal crossing is going to sell a good amount of copies every quarter until 2025, probably later.
That's all super fair. I dig it. It's just that this particular game in the FF VII Remake has been anticipated for a loooong time. If Animal Crossing does surpass it, it won't do it for a few years at the least, like you said. Also working against the Remake is the potential for the second game to come out within 2 to 3 years. That might halt sales. I'm just a big believer in these first year sales, though.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing has legs, JRPGs typically don't. I could see FF7R selling more in the launch month, but not lifetime.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
FFVII will have a far stronger debut and have a decent tail, especially for a FF game. So for March, it wins.

Animal Crossing will have an INCREDIBLY strong tail though, comes with the territory, and Nintendo's reluctance to discount it will mean they reap the rewards.

I'll be getting both and it'll be great

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

I'm curious why you're expecting the first part of the FF7 remake to sell as many copies as The Last of Us; that would be more than twice as much as the original PS1 SKU, and about 60% more than all versions of the original game have sold, combined, over the course of 22 years

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That's all super fair. I dig it. It's just that this particular game in the FF VII Remake has been anticipated for a loooong time. If Animal Crossing does surpass it, it won't do it for a few years at the least, like you said. Also working against the Remake is the potential for the second game to come out within 2 to 3 years. That might halt sales. I'm just a big believer in these first year sales, though.
It's been over 6 years that people have been waiting for a new AC.
The anticipation for a new AC is pretty there.
NewLeaf also had a strong opening, trend would tend to show that Switch is likely to harbor even more dedicated customers pushing the early sales even further.
And then there's the legs, go look at the last 2 handheld ACs.
They sell massively.
We're talking Mario Kart level here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
FFVIIR will explode out the gate thanks to a healthy install base, but history tells us that AC games are quite evergreen throughout the life of their platform.
Fully expect the new AC to have them legs, and take the lead over its lifetime.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has been masketing Animal crossing (specially isabelle) in most of their big games.

I think it will destroy New Leaf and it will obviously outsell the first part of the FFVII remake.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

AC is selling 15 million minimum. It could pass 20 million though. This is going by past series performance and current Switch game performance. If BotW is over 15 million (WiiU and Switch) then it's hard to imagine AC doing less. SSBU is already over 15. MK8D is probably over 20 million.

FF7 is more of a wild card. It has built in fanaticism with people loving FF and the nostalgia bomb, but none of the individual games are over 15 million I think. I'd say the range is 12-18 million going on FF series performance. I think it'll be close.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was not aware how beastly Animal Crossing is :o

i think that FF7 will sell more out of the gate, but on the long run it seems that Animal Crossing will overtake it. Using past data as a source of course.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I was eyeing Civ as a chill out game, but then I thought "damn I'd rather play Animal Crossing" and passed.

It's gonna be Animal Crossing.

Edit: FFVIIR will outsell it when it hits PC though.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Final Fantasy VII Remake will sell much better initially. Animal Crossing will have better legs over the years

Apr 21, 2018

Is Animal Crossing a sales monster? I know the handheld versions did exceptionally well, but to my knowledge the console versions never sold nearly as much as the handheld releases.

This was my first thought but:
-Switch being a handheld sort of
-hasn't been a new AC game in 7 years
-hopefully the game is good unlike City Folk (Wii)
-Switch in beast mode

I think it will safely do 10million+
It's really about FF7's sales potential, which is more of an unknown in this circumstance.

It'll be close.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
They will both do very well

But AC beating FF7?

People are taking crazy pills

I think you're right in a sense: you're going to have to buy like 3 or 4 full-priced games to get the entire FF7 experience, so sales-wise FF7 buyers are going to be more-or-less locked in for $180-$240 worth of spend (and that's not including any sort of collectors editions) where AC is a one-time $60 buy. Financially speaking, FF7 will be more profitable (not counting for dev costs). However, I think AC will end up selling more than any one FF7 SKU eventually. As has been stated: AC is evergreen. They sell forever.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think you're right in a sense: you're going to have to buy like 3 or 4 full-priced games to get the entire FF7 experience, so sales-wise FF7 buyers are going to be more-or-less locked in for $180-$240 worth of spend (and that's not including any sort of collectors editions) where AC is a one-time $60 buy. Financially speaking, FF7 will be more profitable. However, I think AC will end up selling more than any one FF7 SKU eventually. As has been stated: AC is evergreen. They sell forever.
Considering the difference in cost, I'd say AC is VASTLY more profitable.
Like it's not even a contest.

Nov 23, 2017
It's been over 6 years that people have been waiting for a new AC.
The anticipation for a new AC is pretty there.
NewLeaf also had a strong opening, trend would tend to show that Switch is likely to harbor even more dedicated customers pushing the early sales even further.
And then there's the legs, go look at the last 2 handheld ACs.
They sell massively.
We're talking Mario Kart level here.
I was just looking this up and it seems that New Leaf sold almost 12 million units. Dang. That's impressive.The Switch has a smaller base than the 3DS though. I do think VII Remake outsells it in 2019 for sure. Long term, you may be right. It took the original FF VII to sell that many units in 20-ish years.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Lifetime? Probably Animal Crossing.
In March? Almost definitely Final Fantasy.
Animal Crossing has always been more of a slow burn.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I should have added "not counting for development costs." I'll edit my post.
Nah, you're right if you're talking about revenue generated.
I was just looking this up and it seems that New Leaf sold almost 12 million units. Dang. That's impressive.The Switch has a smaller base than the 3DS though. I do think VII Remake outsells it in 2019 for sure. Long term, you may be right. It took the original FF VII to sell that many units in 20-ish years.

We would need to look at the difference between 3DS and Switch at time of release.
Switch will be 3 coming March and 3DS was 2 when AC dropped.
I'd say Switch probably has a bigger install base (especially with the 3DS slow start).
You might be right for 2019, I don't really know how AC will start tbh.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
How is the poll so close? AC will easily beat out FF7 in sales, maybe not Day 1 but lifetime it's a guarantee going off of past sales.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious why you're expecting the first part of the FF7 remake to sell as many copies as The Last of Us; that would be more than twice as much as the original PS1 SKU, and about 60% more than all versions of the original game have sold, combined, over the course of 22 years

Because its riding the wave of huge hype, glowing previews and a dinosaur sized amount of nostalgia + is going to be marketed like absolute crazy to an absolutely massive install base. And then will be ported to absolutely everything.

You're question is like asking why Uncharted 4 will sell so well given the low sales of Uncharted 1. This game is going to be an absolute monster compared to all previous Final Fantasy games

Status
Not open for further replies.