• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Animal Crossing Castaways

Votes: 1,027 54.1%
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Midgar

Votes: 870 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII is running a sprint. Animal Crossing is running a marathon.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why shouldn't it be?

Final Fantasy is among the biggest JRPG franchises out there, and FFVII is arguably one of the best, if not the best ever releases within that franchise. Even social media and view metrics for FFVIIR dwarf Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting AC to still do really well, but I'm still very surprised its topping a Remake to an all time great titan like FFVII on here.

AC is selling 15 million minimum. It could pass 20 million though. This is going by past series performance and current Switch game performance. If BotW is over 15 million (WiiU and Switch) then it's hard to imagine AC doing less. SSBU is already over 15. MK8D is probably over 20 million.

FF7 is more of a wild card. It has built in fanaticism with people loving FF and the nostalgia bomb, but none of the individual games are over 15 million I think. I'd say the range is 12-18 million going on FF series performance. I think it'll be close.

To my knowledge, the best selling AC console game to date is AC: City Folk (Wii) with 4.32m sales. Are you and others really expecting AC Switch to sell quadruple that?

I know Switch games are selling gang busters, but is that sort of a difference really a possibility? Twilight Princess (Wii/U) still sold 10m.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just looking this up and it seems that New Leaf sold almost 12 million units. Dang. That's impressive.The Switch has a smaller base than the 3DS though. I do think VII Remake outsells it in 2019 for sure. Long term, you may be right. It took the original FF VII to sell that many units in 20-ish years.
The Switch base being smaller than previous systems base mean jack. Video gaming is bigger than then. Mario Odyssey is the best selling 3D Mario game even though the Switch hasn't even sold half of the Wii.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't they just use the same PS4 disc & just have the PS5 run the game at a higher resolution &/or frame rate (see PS4 -> PS4 Pro)?

With that said, there's enough of a time gap between the two games to where I can reasonably get both.

They'll just lock upgrades to the new version + add a "preview chapter" or something similar for the next installment and get another $60

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy is among the biggest JRPG franchises out there, and FFVII is arguably one of the best, if not the best ever releases within that franchise. Even social media and view metrics for FFVIIR dwarf Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting AC to still do really well, but I'm still very surprised its topping a Remake to an all time great titan like FFVII on here.

To my knowledge, the best selling AC console game to date is AC: City Folk (Wii) with 4.32m sales. Are you and others really expecting AC Switch to sell quadruple that?

I know Switch games are selling gang busters, but is that sort of a difference really a possibility? Twilight Princess (Wii/U) still sold 10m.
The best selling Animal Crossing is New Leaf which is 12 million. That's the baseline not whatever AC Wii game you're trying to use.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
IF both games turn out good then Animal Crossing, no question. FF7R1 might lead to new franchise heights, it might outsell the original, but it won't sell as much as AC. Guess 12m for FF7 and 14-16 for AC.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

And it's still, ultimately, a JRPG.

Stop thinking of Switch as purely a home console. It's clearly not and there's also the Lite out there. Or are you expecting Pokemon to sell like those GameCube games?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You're basing the ceiling of New Horizons on a game released in 2008? By that logic, Pokémon SwSh should be selling like Pokémon Battle Revolution.

Aug 12, 2019
New Leaf has outsold every Final Fantasy except for VII, and we're only getting a partial version of VII at best in the remake. I'd say Animal Crossing is the right call, especially since this "remake" will undoubtedly just get rebranded in the future and people will want to wait for the full experience... particularly if this title ends up being a glorified Midgar proof of concept.

AC has the momentum from New Leaf and is on Switch, it's poised to become one of Nintendo's best selling titles if they don't mess up the game itself.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy VI sold a few million on the SNES so FFVIIR will probably sell like 5 million or so.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

The Switch Lite, a dedicated handheld Switch exists alongside the original hybrid version. Therefore AC is both a console and handheld game - comparisons should be made to the last handheld entry in the series.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Animal Crossing will also be the last big and probably biggest hardware seller and audience expander that the Switch will get. It's so popular with different demographics that aren't usually into console gaming.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're basing the ceiling of New Horizons on a game released in 2008? By that logic, Pokémon SwSh should be selling like Pokémon Battle Revolution.

That's a spin off with far less appeal, not a mainline title like Let's Go or Sword and Shield.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I will go with FF7 purely because i expect the Sony marketing machine to completely blanket the general public in the lead up.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a spin off with far less appeal, not a mainline title like Let's Go or Sword and Shield.
Let's Go ended up selling in line with most Pokémon remakes while SwSh is selling gangbusters and poised to unseat both XY and SuMo's LTD, so using City Folk as a point of comparison for New Horizons is still really disingenuous.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

Oh it sold 4.3 on on Wii? In that case the bottom for AC on Switch is 16.32 (12+4.32) because Switch is the successor to console and handheld. Game sales performance will reflect that. Animal Crossing as a franchise is trending higher, and other Nintendo franchises are huge. For instance SSBU compared to its 3DS and WiiU counterpart. SSBU has almost passed their combined sales, and its only been a year.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to begin to look for the global install base at the end of 2012 or beginning of 2013
Since the game released at different times in Japan and overseas:

Japan
7.94m 3DS shipped 1 month before New Leaf -> 10.88m 2 months after New Leaf
2.73m ACNL shipped in 2 months -> 5.79m as of December 2018

Overseas
19.55m 3DS shipped 2 months before New Leaf -> 20.31m 1 month after New Leaf
1.19m ACNL shipped in 1 month (+0.06m from Asia where it launched during the previous fiscal year) -> 6.31m as of December 2018

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VIIR is going to get ported to half a dozen platforms, so I expect it to sell the most.

Just the PS4 SKU versus AC? New Horizons, easily.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Since the game released at different times in Japan and overseas:

Japan
7.94m 3DS shipped 1 month before New Leaf -> 10.88m 2 months after New Leaf

Overseas
19.55m 3DS shipped 2 months before New Leaf -> 20.31m 1 month after New Leaf

Interesting! Very interesting. New Leaf had a pretty modest debut in the West, and really seems to have legged it out from there.

It seems like the game kept selling to new owners of the 3DS for nearly the entire life of the system

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Obviously Fairy Tail will take it all with the power of friendship

No seriously though, Animal Crossing will not only do more it'll also move an inane amount of hardware too

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think the other factor that will be hard to gauge, while it wasn't Pokemon Go, the Animal Crossing mobile game seems to have been doing decent for itself. Pokemon saw a pretty decent boost after a successful mobile app.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
For shits and giggles why not. Lifetime? Not even a close call, Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Honestly if you ask me, Doom Eternal is way bigger than Animal Crossing. But ive never been an Animal Crossing fan. I suppose there have been a lot of fans for it in the last 8-10 years. I just do not see it on a level any where near Pokemon, Mario or Zelda.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly if you ask me, Doom Eternal is way bigger than Animal Crossing. But ive never been an Animal Crossing fan. I suppose there have been a lot of fans for it in the last 8-10 years. I just do not see it on a level any where near Pokemon, Mario or Zelda.
We don't really have to ask. The facts are there in the sales.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AKA I don't know jack about sales and vote with my emotions the thread.

HOWEVER, even acknowledging this, I'm still going to give this one to FFVII. Here are the reasons.

1. The casual 3DS crowd I think will not be moving to the switch soon. My belief is that the success in Zelda and Mario Odyssey is largely attributed to the Male 18-35 demographic in the EU and NA regions. Gender skews in NA reports further this correlation. https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-shares-gender-and-age-breakdown-of-us-switch-buyers.2852/ Due to this, as well as an increase in price ($40 to $60 at least in NA) NH will not reach the same heights as NL in sales.

2. FFXV hit 9 million while being let's face it, fairly poorly received in comparison to other FF titles. Unless FFVIIR reviews somehow worse, I believe it'll line up somewhere around this territory. Yes the scope is reduced from a full remake but I don't think that should impact the game tremendously unless it reviews bad. The advantage of multiplatform cannot be overstated.

So as much as other titles received the 'switch bump', continuing middling sales numbers of titles such as Labo, 1-2 switch seems to indicate that the switch is STILL mostly composed a demographic that I feel isn't as receptive of an AC title. I don't see this changing in the future either judging by sales performance of switch lite in japan (AC's strongest region) and other data.

Thus, in this instance, I give my vote to FFVIIR.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

HOWEVER, even acknowledging this, I'm still going to give this one to FFVII. Here are the reasons.

1. The casual 3DS crowd I think will not be moving to the switch soon. My belief is that the success in Zelda and Mario Odyssey is largely attributed to the Male 18-35 demographic in the EU and NA regions. Gender skews in NA reports further this correlation. https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-shares-gender-and-age-breakdown-of-us-switch-buyers.2852/ Due to this, as well as an increase in price ($40 to $60 at least in NA) NH will not reach the same heights as NL in sales.

2. FFXV hit 9 million while being let's face it, fairly poorly received in comparison to other FF titles. Unless FFVIIR reviews somehow worse, I believe it'll line up somewhere around this territory. Yes the scope is reduced from a full remake but I don't think that should impact the game tremendously unless it reviews bad. The advantage of multiplatform cannot be overstated.

So as much as other titles received the 'switch bump', continuing middling sales numbers of titles such as Labo, 1-2 switch seems to indicate that the switch is STILL mostly composed a demographic that I feel isn't as receptive of an AC title. I don't see this changing in the future either judging by sales performance of switch lite in japan (AC's strongest region) and other data.

Interesting analysis! Do you have a ballpark for where you expect these titles to end up?

Though it should be noted, I supposed, that FF7R will not be immediately multiplat

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
FF7 easily if we're counting PS4 edition + PS5 port + eventual double pack + complete edition on PS6

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, it's actually a tough one. AC is the safe bet, I think, and it's also my personal choice as the game I care about more.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lifetime.. probably AC but it will be relatively close. It'll sell over 15m copies and I don't think FF7 will quite get there.. but maybe when they eventually release all the parts in one package it'll get past it. On the plus side for Animal Crossing, there probably won't be another one this gen to affect it's evergreen sales possibilities.

Jan 2, 2018
The casual 3DS crowd I think will not be moving to the switch soon. My belief is that the success in Zelda and Mario Odyssey is largely attributed to the Male 18-35 demographic in the EU and NA regions. Gender skews in NA reports further this correlation. https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-shares-gender-and-age-breakdown-of-us-switch-buyers.2852/ Due to this, as well as an increase in price ($40 to $60 at least in NA) NH will not reach the same heights as NL in sales.

That breakdown is two years old, so pretty outdated and not a good basis for your argument.
You are also mistaken if you think games like Zelda, Mario Kart and Pokémon only attract male gamers. Especially the latter, of which already two games exist on the system probably brought also alot of women to the platform.

Have you forgotten about the sales success of Super Mario Party or the current success of Ring Fit Adventure? What an bad argument, to base it on Labo and 1,2 Switch (which sold well for what it was).

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The

That data on the switch user base is over two years old now so is pretty out if date. They've since released the Lite to entice in the non-core market.

I also think you're overestimating the popularity of JRPGs. FFXV got its sales from the hype - reviews weren't stellar but the money had already been spent by most weird fans at that point.Yes, FFVII is a big name but I don't think it's big enough to beat out a Nintendo tentpole.

Status
Not open for further replies.