• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Animal Crossing Castaways

Votes: 1,027 54.1%
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Midgar

Votes: 870 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
FFVII will sell more at launch. Big AAA releases and JRPGs are extremely front loaded. Animal Crossing will sell more in the long run. It's one of those ever green Nintendo titles that will keep selling until the next series entry or system releases.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This thread will be fun to revisit. Animal Crossing will outsell FF7R by about 7 million.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The
That data on the switch user base is over two years old now so is pretty out if date. They've since released the Lite to entice in the non-core market.

I also think you're overestimating the popularity of JRPGs. FFXV got its sales from the hype - reviews weren't stellar but the money had already been spent by most weird fans at that point.Yes, FFVII is a big name but I don't think it's big enough to beat out a Nintendo tentpole.

This is actually something I left out of my initial analysis, but the base Switch has consistently beat out the Lite since release in Japan, arguably AC's strongest market. There could be numerous factors why, but the biggest factor I think AC:NH won't beat out NL in Japan is partially related these figures.

The adult women demo was HUGE for NL. Without them I don't see NH outselling NL in Japan. And I don't see AC:NH outselling NL worldwide. This is arguably the bigger take of my position.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
This is actually something I left out of my initial analysis, but the base Switch has consistently beat out the Lite since release in Japan, arguably AC's strongest market. There could be numerous factors why, but the biggest factor I think AC:NH won't beat out NL in Japan is partially related these figures.

The adult women demo was HUGE for NL. Without them I don't see NH outselling NL in Japan. And I don't see AC:NH outselling NL worldwide.
Brave prediction. I think you're wrong but at least you have conviction about it.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

The adult women demo was HUGE for NL. Without them I don't see NH outselling NL in Japan. And I don't see AC:NH outselling NL worldwide. This is arguably the bigger take of my position.
Assuming that lower Lite sales correlate with lower engagement by women may not line up with reality, necessarily

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if you ask me, Doom Eternal is way bigger than Animal Crossing. But ive never been an Animal Crossing fan. I suppose there have been a lot of fans for it in the last 8-10 years. I just do not see it on a level any where near Pokemon, Mario or Zelda.
For March, I agree. Doom is multi plat and on PC, and FFVIIR is highly awaited. I do not see a Switch only game selling more than the other two. I wouldnt be surprised if AC sells close to what Persona 5 Royal sells.
We have sales figures, that speak for themselves. You should do a bit of research (don't even have to go far, this thread has the info) because you're coming across as woefully misinformed. The idea that Doom will sell anything like Animal Crossing, is beyond ridiculous. AC in Japan alone will be a close match for Doom Eternal worldwide sales across all platforms.

Mzril

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assuming that lower Lite sales correlate with lower engagement by women may not line up with reality, necessarily

I'm aware of this, but in japan it's probably a stronger connection than that of other territories.

Lite specific commercials in Japan tend to be more focused towards women than most other switch trailers, although I don't quite have the TV air time slots to back this up with hard data. The women characters do tend to linger longer on screen though.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Animal Crossing is a full game that lasts for years.
Final Fantasy VII Remake is not even half a full release you pay full price for.

azXnORm_460s.jpg

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
While I think both games can and will stand up fine on their own and will do well regardless, I do think that they somewhat will be competing with one another. They're very different in style, but at a core level they are both Japanese role playing games.

I personally want both and can afford to buy both Day 1. I know however not everyone can afford to buy both at the same time and yes there will be gamers that pick up one or the other, at least near launch, so they will affect sales of one another, perhaps not dramatically, but somewhat. Its not as direct of a competition as say CoD and Battlefield releasing in the same month, but they will affect one another's sales.

We do this for movies every week. Talk about what movies are coming out the same week and how sales will be effected, even if the movies are pretty different types of movies. Not sure why this isn't something to consider with games.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing is a full game that lasts for years.
Final Fantasy VII Remake is not even half a full release you pay full price for.

azXnORm_460s.jpg

Is there an estimated length of FFVII remake? I can't remember how long the Midgar section lasted and I'm not sure how expanded it supposed to be. Like did they add 2-5 hours of extra content or 10-20+ hours of extra content?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Historically, Animal Crossing titles sell considerably more on handhelds than on home consoles. It's unclear how that will translate to a hybrid.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That's a spin off with far less appeal, not a mainline title like Let's Go or Sword and Shield.
City Folk was an upgraded port of Wild World effectively. New Horizons is built from the ground up for the Switch. Animal Crossing has been mostly successful as a handheld game -- it's not a 1:1 comparison to compare an older Wii game to a brand new release on a handheld system. There is no scenario where AC sells less than 12m and it will almost assuredly be in the 15-20m range based on the success of other first party titles for the Switch and the historical success of handheld AC games.

Historically, Animal Crossing titles sell considerably more on handhelds than on home consoles. It's unclear how that will translate to a hybrid.
The Switch is a handheld system that can connect to a TV. Just like Pokemon has shown, AC will sell as if it were a handheld game. Any "home console" sales will effectively just be bonus sales

I can't fathom them not putting out a custom AC Switch Lite as well -- the 3DSXL was so incredibly cute. Hopefully it's a little more detailed than the Pokemon edition.

Nov 11, 2017
I have been soured on AC by the mobile game (I know different teams, but still). Leaning towards spending my money on FF7 though I doubt I will buy it on release, not in any rush even though it does look incredible.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
FF VII R will sell more initially, but after several years (and maybe another expansion ala Welcome Amiibo) no doubt Animal Crossing will surprass it.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
We have sales figures, that speak for themselves. You should do a bit of research (don't even have to go far, this thread has the info) because you're coming across as woefully misinformed. The idea that Doom will sell anything like Animal Crossing, is beyond ridiculous. AC in Japan alone will be a close match for Doom Eternal worldwide sales across all platforms.
Folks out here acting like the last Animal Crossing sold 12 million in a month. It did it on the widely popular 3ds , over a few years. We get it, the series sells well.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Bloodlines 2 was pushed back, but you have fucking Doom and Nioh 2 coming that month as well. Those games are massive as well and all those games will cut into each others sales.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I admit that I didn't include Doom in the conversation because I assumed it wouldn't be as successful, numbers-wise, as Animal Crossing or FF7R. On reflection, though, I don't know how well Doom 2016 sold! I have no point of comparison there.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Is there an estimated length of FFVII remake? I can't remember how long the Midgar section lasted and I'm not sure how expanded it supposed to be. Like did they add 2-5 hours of extra content or 10-20+ hours of extra content?
My guess is it's gonna be full of MMO styled fetch quests and a few actually added sequences so a 50 hour game becomes a 150 game in total. So I imagine we get 30 hours of content in "Final Fantasy VII-1"

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I admit that I didn't include Doom in the conversation because I assumed it wouldn't be as successful, numbers-wise, as Animal Crossing or FF7R. On reflection, though, I don't know how well Doom 2016 sold! I have no point of comparison there.

It did not do final fantasy or animal crossing numbers.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Getting Final Fantasy VII, Animal Crossing, and Persona 5 Royal. Gonna be a good month.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Folks out here acting like the last Animal Crossing sold 12 million in a month. It did it on the widely popular 3ds , over a few years. We get it, the series sells well.
Aren't there more Switch units out there than there were 3DS consoles at the time?

The question is not about March, it's about lifetime sales.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Probably FFVII R by the end but starting I see AC taking it. FFVII R will make up for it when it launches on PC/Xbone later down the line.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they aren't. Yes the switch is selling well but the 3Ds was selling like hot cakes.
See here:

Since the game released at different times in Japan and overseas:

Japan
7.94m 3DS shipped 1 month before New Leaf -> 10.88m 2 months after New Leaf
2.73m ACNL shipped in 2 months -> 5.79m as of December 2018

Overseas
19.55m 3DS shipped 2 months before New Leaf -> 20.31m 1 month after New Leaf
1.19m ACNL shipped in 1 month (+0.06m from Asia where it launched during the previous fiscal year) -> 6.31m as of December 2018

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
FF7R will be rereleased so many times and in so many platforms that it just might outsell Animal Crossing.

But if it's a PS4 FF7R vs SWI AC, then it would be an easy win for AC.

By the way what sold more? Luigi's Mansion or Death Standing?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
FF7 easily if we're counting PS4 edition + PS5 port + eventual double pack + complete edition on PS6

Thread is about Part 1, ports included

Complete editions should be off the table though, that is something else entirely

AKA I don't know jack about sales and vote with my emotions the thread.

HOWEVER, even acknowledging this, I'm still going to give this one to FFVII. Here are the reasons.

1. The casual 3DS crowd I think will not be moving to the switch soon. My belief is that the success in Zelda and Mario Odyssey is largely attributed to the Male 18-35 demographic in the EU and NA regions. Gender skews in NA reports further this correlation. https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-shares-gender-and-age-breakdown-of-us-switch-buyers.2852/ Due to this, as well as an increase in price ($40 to $60 at least in NA) NH will not reach the same heights as NL in sales.

2. FFXV hit 9 million while being let's face it, fairly poorly received in comparison to other FF titles. Unless FFVIIR reviews somehow worse, I believe it'll line up somewhere around this territory. Yes the scope is reduced from a full remake but I don't think that should impact the game tremendously unless it reviews bad. The advantage of multiplatform cannot be overstated.

So as much as other titles received the 'switch bump', continuing middling sales numbers of titles such as Labo, 1-2 switch seems to indicate that the switch is STILL mostly composed a demographic that I feel isn't as receptive of an AC title. I don't see this changing in the future either judging by sales performance of switch lite in japan (AC's strongest region) and other data.

Thus, in this instance, I give my vote to FFVIIR.

Interesting analysis but I'm gonna save this post when New Horizons blows past New Leaf sales.
I think you underestimate the amount of people who are waiting to buy a Switch/Switch Lite just for that game and I think Pokemon SwSh sales show the casual audience is ready to buy in.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that Ring Fit Adventure is selling wildly better than anyone expected, I'd say that's a pretty good sign the audience for Animal Crossing will be on Switch come March.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

I wonder if the mobile game has absorbed this demo. No need to buy hardware for that one game if you can get it on your phone.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Considering that Ring Fit Adventure is selling wildly better than anyone expected, I'd say that's a pretty good sign the audience for Animal Crossing will be on Switch come March.
The Wii Fit sales didn't seem to help the Wii Animal Crossing game sales though? Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is a primary reason the Lite exists. More so than Pokemon IMO. My wife will be getting one and AC when it comes out -- she probably would have been willing to buy a full Switch, but doesn't really see the value in us both having systems that can connect to the TV and it saves $100. It's not at all a hot take to suggest that AC will sell millions of new systems.

Mzril

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting analysis but I'm gonna save this post when New Horizons blows past New Leaf sales.
I think you underestimate the amount of people who are waiting to buy a Switch/Switch Lite just for that game and I think Pokemon SwSh sales show the casual audience is ready to buy in.

Once again I cannot understate the importance of Japan, and strictly Japan when it comes to performance of AC globally. Pokemon Sales of Sw/Sh are lower in Japan weeks aligned in comparison to the 3DS games.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii Fit sales didn't seem to help the Wii Animal Crossing game sales though? Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Someone was making the point earlier in the thread that Switch had a primarily young adult male demographic. I'd suspect the success of Ring Fit was due to a more diverse audience than that. That's all.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hot take: Animal Crossing will outsell Pokemon Sword/Shield
That's very possible, especially if there are another set of Pokemon games in 2020

Once again I cannot understate the importance of Japan, and strictly Japan when it comes to performance of AC globally. Pokemon Sales of Sw/Sh are lower in Japan weeks aligned in comparison to the 3DS games.

It will be nearly impossible to match New Leaf sales in Japan (that was monstrously successful) but I believe it will be up significantly everywhere else. Especially in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.