• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Animal Crossing Castaways

Votes: 1,027 54.1%
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Midgar

Votes: 870 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Then we really don't know. It could be doing really well, far above 80k/quarter on Switch alone. They were surprised by PC sales back in the day and Switch has taken everyone by surprise.
Certainly that's possible, but it's not in keeping with the data we have access to. In any case it's not possible to claim positively that FF7 outsold New Leaf.

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
That's an artificial limitation that shouldn't be in place for this topic than. Animal crossing will probably have more sales because of that but if it's lifetime of both than final fantasy vii by a wide margin.
It's mentioned in the OP and the poll itself that this is about FF7R Part 1, because it's being framed as a full game and it's probably going to be the best-selling of all the FF7R games by a decent margin

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The multiple releases for FFVII is going to hurt in both long and short term. It's still going to be successful and sell multiple millions but I suspect a lot of people are going to take a wait and see approach for at least a little while.

People are crazy thirsty for a new Animal Crossing and the Switch bump is not to be underestimated. AC may lose out lifetime because VIIR will likely be on multiple platforms at the end, but I think AC gets an early lead and continues for sometime.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
FFVII will do pretty well for a PS4 game in Japan (probably a little better than DQXI) but AC will probably be one of the best selling Switch games in the territory. I think that is going to be the big factor that pushes it over globally.
There's almost no chance that it won't be the best selling piece of switch software in Japan, it's likely going to do record breaking numbers just there alone.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
FFVII will do pretty well for a PS4 game in Japan (probably a little better than DQXI) but AC will probably be one of the best selling Switch games in the territory. I think that is going to be the big factor that pushes it over globally.
There is literally no possible way it'll outsell DQ XI in Japan.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Apr 21, 2018
I'm very curious to know the answer because it will be close, I'm sure, with both games having giant worldwide appeal. I also think it's a fun comparison because both games have wildly different art styles. I also picture cloud and villager fighting in Smash Bros, and it makes me chuckle.

Both will easily cruise to the 10million line if you ask me.

My feeling is FF7R might edge it out in the long run with Xbox, PC, PS5, and maybe Switch Pro ports. But in the short term, especially due to Japan and those evergreen legs, Animal Crossing will probably do better. It's very hard to tell.

What do you think? Please share your thoughts.

Edit - I find these comparisons fun and it's a neat way to spurn conversation about the sales potential of two juggernauts. I hope you guys enjoy it too. I feel like ERA is mature enough to avoid console wars.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

The Massacre in March: Animal Crossing vs Final Fantasy 7 Remake

The face of chaos. The harbingers of all doom. So come March there's going to be a bunch of games coming out. Doom Eternal's coming, that game's gonna be real cool. Bloodlines 2 is coming, I think? That's wild. Wild that that's being made. Half-Life Alyx is tentatively slated for that month...

I still assume animal crossing will eke it out.

Apr 21, 2018
www.resetera.com

The Massacre in March: Animal Crossing vs Final Fantasy 7 Remake

The face of chaos. The harbingers of all doom. So come March there's going to be a bunch of games coming out. Doom Eternal's coming, that game's gonna be real cool. Bloodlines 2 is coming, I think? That's wild. Wild that that's being made. Half-Life Alyx is tentatively slated for that month...

I still assume animal crossing will eke it out.
We already had a thread like this.

oops, my bad. Mods feel free to lock.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing is a 10 million range game. It could go higher than that because the new entry looks really good and could grow in the west (where it's relatively weak). FF7R seems like a big production but I don't think it will pass 10m just because its a remake and only is like 1/3 of the full game.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Depends, are we talking about Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1 or the entirely of Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
If they don't f... it up with microtransactions AC will sell more during its life. FF VII might sell more if you add the inevitable PS5 version and the countless people who'll double dip.
If you add all platforms FF7 is going to come to...
It might go far.

And still, lifetime sales might be bigger for AC in the end.

Now if you add all FF7 parts, ok, FF7 can probably win.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Depends, are we talking about Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1 or the entirely of Final Fantasy VII Remake?
[

That's an artificial limitation that shouldn't be in place for this topic than. Animal crossing will probably have more sales because of that but if it's lifetime of both than final fantasy vii by a wide margin.
Why would we compare three+ games to one? That makes no sense. Obviously OP is talking about the FF7 remake coming out in March that's being branded as a full game and sold at the same price as animal crossing.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's no advantage to FF7R to compare all of its games to Animal Crossing. The number of people who buy every episode will be significantly fewer than those who just bought the first game.

Unless you're combining the individual sales of each part of FF7R, which would just be silly.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Animal Crossing will sell like crazy. People have been expecting it for ages.

Final Fantasy will sell very well, too, but I think some people may be reluctant because it's a remake and it's not the full game.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I had never seen that puppy character until I got Smash Ultimate, having skipped a few Nintendo generations. I am surprised it's such a popular franchise, I had hardly ever heard of it while FF7 seems ubiquitous.

Hopefully they both do well. Anything that knocks Call of Duty, GTA and their ilk off the flag post for a month is good news to me!

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Which one will sell more? Animal Crossing - broader appeal.

Which one will I be buying? Both!

Which one will get a last-minute delay into April or May? My money is on FFVII for that one. There are so many big hitters lined up for March, no way they all actually release during that month.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Which one will sell more? Animal Crossing - broader appeal.

Which one will I be buying? Both!

Which one will get a last-minute delay into April or May? My money is on FFVII for that one. There are so many big hitters lined up for March, no way they all actually release during that month.
I think it's a case of everyone else should be moving away from FF7 rather than it move itself. Saying that though there are 3 GOTY contenders one month after the next.. FF7 in March, Cyberpunk in April and Last of Us in May. There's nowhere to go haha.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I dont like any of those 2 but is going to be AC.
Its sad becuase in enjoy somewhat the concept of animal crossing but it seems it will never evolve much so im probably will never get it again.
FF7 im not one of its fans, but I can see how good the remake looks and how much work is was put into it. Its going to sell gangbusters. But more than Animal *selling monster* Crossing? On a system like the Switch? lol

Wait, people a tually think ita gonna be AC? Wut
I wonder why sony avatars in this thread that you never see in any other threads are so surprised about that mmmm lol

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I had never seen that puppy character until I got Smash Ultimate, having skipped a few Nintendo generations. I am surprised it's such a popular franchise, I had hardly ever heard of it while FF7 seems ubiquitous.

Hopefully they both do well. Anything that knocks Call of Duty, GTA and their ilk off the flag post for a month is good news to me!
This post made me laugh hard because yeah you wouldn't expect a puppy character to be that huge. It's amazing how Nintendo can create hit games for the weirdest concepts.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, people a tually think ita gonna be AC? Wut
It's really not that far-fetched if you look at Animal Crossing sales numbers and Final Fantasy sales numbers. FFXV, the most recent mainline entry in the Final Fantasy franchise, has done about 8-9 million. Animal Crossing's most recent entry was at 12 million, and the Switch is on fire right now.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Animal crossing is going to crush it because that game doesn't have leaky pipes plus the co-op involved in AC always makes it's very satisfying experience certificate for me. (The grading and visiting other people's towns and who knows what else is planned)

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a case of everyone else should be moving away from FF7 rather than it move itself. Saying that though there are 3 GOTY contenders one month after the next.. FF7 in March, Cyberpunk in April and Last of Us in May. There's nowhere to go haha.

I don't think any of these games would move because of the other games releasing. It would all be about what needs a bit more time in development to be ready for launch.

Especially in the case of Final Fantasy and Animal Crossing, they're different enough that I don't think either Square nor Nintendo would be too worried about this. Cyberpunk/Last of Us would get a firm maybe for FFVII but I don't suspect Nintendo would care about either. Still, I just don't think publishers think like this for the most part.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Animal crossing will outsell it considerable, FF7 maybe more front loaded..but when all is said and done I think Animal crossing will have it pretty handily beat by Xmas 2020

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Oh did someone post a new thread of this kind? Cool.

1776 votes in and we're still nearly tied for this comparison! That's interesting to me. People's expectations for these two games are illuminating! I wonder how things will shake out in the next year.

I also expect FF7 to have a better launch month, but the thread is very much about lifetime sales

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm guess at some point it will be FF7. It's gonna go multi-plat and be available over multiple generations, so it should eventually sell a lot of units. In terms of money made, Animal crossing will probably make more because it's a Nintendo exclusive and it'll keep its high price point longer.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Square caved

C2nK7Jr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.