• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nomura said FFVII Remake's materia system is basically the same as the original's, and that since the battle system has been revamped there will be new materia to match it and some materia will disappear. This is to a question Famitsu added to the online interview.

Personally I'm thinking you will have (and need) less materia slots than in the original, if only because the late-game weapons would look ridiculous with the visible slots on them.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well at least that is one thing we don't need to worry about anymore.

A pity that the game splitting means materia you own can't carry over to the next instalment... or can they?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I've always had faith about the materia system. What I need faith in is how does all of the stuff you earn and collect carry between games?

What's the point of getting materia when it's going to reset two or three times again?

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A pity that the game splitting means materia you own can't carry over to the next instalment... or can they?
Maybe they'll use relevant plot points to just scrap your inventory. For example maybe you lose your materia during the bike chase at the end of Part I (or during the jail part of the Shinra HQ).

The point when the WEAPON awaken, Cloud becomes comatose, and Tifa and co. are caught by Shinra later on can also serve as another inventory reset for another Part.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool!

Looking forward to it since that system is what elevated the combat and build potential for the game

Experimenting with materia combos was part of the fun!

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Maybe they'll use relevant plot points to just scrap your inventory. For example maybe you lose your materia during the bike chase at the end of Part I (or during the jail part of the Shinra HQ).

The point when the WEAPON awaken, Cloud becomes comatose, and Tifa and co. are caught by Shinra later on can also serve as another inventory reset for another Part.

Or Yuffie keeps stealing it :P

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017

I don't see why materia won't carry over. They're already planning on splitting the game because it's too big. So I imagine that they'll code in a way to carry over items from the previous game's save file since technically it's all one big story.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My point is not how inventry reset could be justified; my point is that I will feel bad if my materia has no continuity between games.

There is already an example of a jrpg where inventory transfer over to the next game; the .hack franchise. I know it is unlikely, but I still want to hope it is possible.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I've always had faith about the materia system. What I need faith in is how does all of the stuff you earn and collect carry between games?

What's the point of getting materia when it's going to reset two or three times again?
I dont get it your arguement. Why wouldnt they allow save transfer?

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't they allow a save game import to the next part?
Because each game is a full game with its own gameplay progression. If I recall correctly I'm pretty sure FFIV: The After Years doesn't let you carry over your saves from FFIV.

Also, having your characters at Level 7358 in the final Part would be ridiculous.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
They don't even know how many games they're making, and have given no comment about content carryover yet.
Save transfer is the basic of the basics so i am 99 percent sure you will get to keep your materia in between all the games. I am far more concerned that there will be no overmap

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Because each game is a full game with its own gameplay progression. If I recall correctly I'm pretty sure FFIV: The After Years doesn't let you carry over your saves from FFIV.

Also, having your characters at Level 7358 in the final Part would be ridiculous.
Yeah I hope they don't do save transfer. I'm going to max out the characters in part 1, I hope they don't put an annoying power cap on us or make the following games too easy because of carry over.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

.hack handles this by having level caps at each installment. Fitting since .hack is imitating an mmo and mmos have level caps.
I rather get levelcapped than lose my progression and continuity.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Yeah I hope they don't do save transfer. I'm going to max out the characters in part 1, I hope they don't put an annoying power cap on us or make the following games too easy because of carry over.
I am sure items will carry over but not the levels, etc. Or the enemies will dynamically adjust to the carryover data so that you would be trampled even at lvl99 or as said above cap lvls for each episode

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am sure items will carry over but not the levels, etc. Or the enemies will dynamically adjust to the carryover data so that you would be trampled even at lvl99 or as said above cap lvls for each episode
Don't you dare bring up dynamic level scaling! I get nightmares about that kind of thing. I mod them out of Skyrim for a reason. The player should get to decide what level difficulty they should be at, not the programmer.

People are free to max level or do low level speedruns. That is one of the charms I hope the game retains. The only level adjustment in classic ff7 was the last boss, who had more hp if you are at 99lvl, and/or you collected the kotr summon.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing some of the command materia will be removed.

Don't touch my Enemy Skill materia please.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Level caps are easy to implement. Moreover, they can always increase the level threshold. 99 doesn't need to be end.

This is a non problem. You're thinking about this like it's a SNES JRPG.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. If anyone wonder how materia could work in real time, check out Path of Exile. If done right, it'll be amazing.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

After years is kind of a different beast and came years later than the original. This is multiple parts of the same game.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I was kind of hoping they would expand it a little bit, like adding some bonuses to go along with the action. Still, this is a good thing to hear.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif