• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So a long-standing complaint of the Matrix bluray was that all of the scenes inside The Matrix got an awful, overbearing green tint that was not in the theatrical release. This was done to supposedly match the color grading of the sequels. In its recent UHD release, supervised by the original director of photography, Bill Pope, this change has been rectified.

The Wachowskis have entrusted the creation of the HDR mastering with the original Director of Photography Bill Pope, ASC. Working with Bill I have come to realize that he has a full understanding and appreciation for the dynamics of the HDR format. The Matrix is created in two worlds: the "real" world in cool blue tones; and the "data" world in ever present green. Now with HDR, this film can be viewed in its futuristic and data centric realm more accurately than previous formats would allow. HDR with its huge dynamic range of luminance and color gamut allows for a true film gamma replication while adding additional dynamic range for accurate highlights and deep detailed blacks. DP Bill Pope has taken advantage of this to create a version with color timing as it was originally intended, crafting a high resolution digital master that is more accurate than the original theatrical release.

Old
thematrix_0024a.jpg

mYS6d9Od.jpg

thematrix_0045a.jpg

New:
VNrs004.jpg

xzZMHho.jpg

UUhl4hE.jpg

So anyone that couldn't stand the green tint (like me), can now watch this movie in a decent fashion. The UHD also comes with a regular blu-ray that has the remastered picture, thankfully.

p.s.

There's still green in this remaster.

16986_33.jpg

16986_32.jpg

16986_25.jpg

16986_9.jpg

16986_7.jpg

16986_11.jpg

It's just no longer this distracting, horrendously homogeneous, overbearing shade of green that made every scene look the same.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Well that's a bummer. The green tint maybe the world of the Matrix feel offputting. Like something was consistently not right.

Edit: Wait, was the green tint not in the theatrical release? I remember seeing it there and on its original DVD release. Was this a recent addition and my brain is Berenstein-Bearing it?

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Do they have screens of the scenes outside of the Matrix? Those scenes were color balanced without the green.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a bummer. The green tint maybe the world of the Matrix feel offputting. Like something was consistently not right.
You get that feeling anyway thanks to the eerie lighting and camera movement in the opening scenes, not from color grading that looks like a mistake.

Good riddance to the green tint.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, not really sure how I feel about this. I'm so used to the green tint by now that those new short kinda mess with the atmosphere a bit.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Nice don't own it on this format.

I have vhs, dvd (1st release ,dvd with revelations doc, 10 disc dvd Set) Blu-ray , UMD

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Man they always find a way to get you, was gonna get it for the HDR anyways so this is extra, hyped.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are real good for this release. Going to watch Braveheart in 4K tonight, and plan on getting the Matrix once it is less than 30 goddamn dollars. 4K movies are fucking amazing.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I sort of dont like the in-Matrix shots not having the green tint.

That being said, Reloaded and Revolutions went way too far with it

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't planning to buy this (having had the DVD box set with Neo bust, the HD DVD trilogy, and the Blu-ray trilogy... I now only have the latter), but this is an awesome step in terms of preserving the original film as it was originally presented. I'll pick it up this weekend. (edit: err.. NEXT week guess)

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who absolutely loathed the color timing changes- and thinks The Matrix is one of the best films made- I am so fucking ecstatic they decided to release this as is. THANK CHRIST FINALLY!!!!!

https%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fgallery%2Ftriumph%2Fbrad-pitt.gif

I'll take a little desaturated green if I can't get the real thing.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
It was exactly what I was expecting when the Matrix 2 ended with Keanu displaying super powers in the "real world"

Would have made the entire franchise a million times better.
The "Matrix within a Matrix" theory was always really stupid and it would have been the stupidest story decision possible

Oct 29, 2017
The "Matrix within a Matrix" theory was always really stupid and it would have been the stupidest story decision possible

Stupider than their explanation that people were the ideal batteries?

The humans being studied in various simulations to better understand human nature and the ideal human society makes far more sense. The "real world" was just yet another simulated world.

All the idiocies in the movies plot go away with this explanation.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Stupider than their explanation that people were the ideal batteries?

The humans being studied in various simulations to better understand human nature and the ideal human society makes far more sense. The "real world" was just yet another simulated world.
Taking the entire world and rules established for the characters and the audience and promptly throwing all of that out the window after 2 movies would have been a monumental mistake.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was exactly what I was expecting when the Matrix 2 ended with Keanu displaying super powers in the "real world"

Would have made the entire franchise a million times better.
I think that's the assumption a lot of people made at the time. Neo's connection to the source simply extends to the real world as well. I think people forget the synthetically grown humans aren't really all that human, they're basically cyborgs.

unplug-matrix.jpg

He's just tapping into the source wirelessly.