• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
lmao why

game story was forgettable at best

maybe they can turn it into something good tho idk

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
I just started a play through of this on PS5, going for the platinum. I enjoyed it enough at launch on Series X that I grabbed it on sale on PS5 and stashed it for Halloween time. Far from a perfect or even great game but I dig the vibes and the gameplay when it comes to controlling Marianne in two realms at once.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
lmao why

game story was forgettable at best

maybe they can turn it into something good tho idk

Depends on how they approach it. The story of the game itself isn't anything special, and is laced with a lot of problematic stuff around mental health. But if you just strip down the basic premise of a woman who can talk to ghosts and goes around solving mysteries while going back and forth between the living and dead world without really directly adapting the story, then you can get something out of it. The basic concept has been done a lot already (see both the TV show named Medium and the Asian film named The Medium already lol). Just depends on what they want to do.

Did it do that well to warrant a TV series?!

I think Bloober has said it's their most successful project iirc, so yeah.

Jul 2, 2021
this feel nothing like the game, like at all....
dude-whitekid.gif

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Are they gonna have a splash screen at the end of the last episode with a plea to viewers to write them in for an Emmy after ending the series with a message about how "Trauma begets Trauma no matter how hard you try not to, the cycle is only as long as your unwillingness to kill yourself for suffering to stop it from happening to another"?

Because that shit should have caused a bigger uproar and for some reason the level of media illiteracy in games these days (in everything honestly) has kept this from being even KNOWN by people who literally played and beaten the game.

This sucks and I hope it doesn't actually leave pre-production, this is the worst company and game to have gotten their "big break"

I guess there are a lot of people producing this who tacitly support the message of the game, in which case they can go to heck for entertaining this nonsense.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I hope on the last episode the main character looks into the camera and says if you have trauma you should just kill yourself because they're a no fixing you. Be true to the spirit of the game.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Are they gonna have a splash screen at the end of the last episode with a plea to viewers to write them in for an Emmy after ending the series with a message about how "Trauma begets Trauma no matter how hard you try not to, the cycle is only as long as your unwillingness to kill yourself for suffering to stop it from happening to another"?

Because that shit should have caused a bigger uproar and for some reason the level of media illiteracy in games these days (in everything honestly) has kept this from being even KNOWN by people who literally played and beaten the game.
I feel like that kind of falls in line with the trend of people elevating things that include 'mental health related topics', without thinking/caring much about HOW those topics are handled. It's as if the presence of certain subject matter is just a checkbox, which really shortsighted and often dangerous.

The scariest thing about The Medium is how people walked away from finishing it, and just thought 'Haha, love a good spooky game'.

Last edited:

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
Are streaming sites so desperate for content that they'll just throw money at any remotely known IP?

That is grim.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know the story was hated, would explain why teh game had a big debut then not talked about much afterwards

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I like horror content. So even if it turns out to be mediocre, I'll give it a chance.
(just don't make something offensive)

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Are streaming sites so desperate for content that they'll just throw money at any remotely known IP?

That is grim.

I mean, yeah - that's exactly it. The content engine must be fed, always, and the mad scramble for IP has found its way to games. Expect anything that's not nailed down to at least get optioned over the next few years.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I didn't know the story was hated, would explain why teh game had a big debut then not talked about much afterwards
Mishandling stories about victims of trauma or abuse is kind of a running theme across all of the Bloober Team games, which is also why a lot of folks are upset by the thought of them remaking Silent Hill 2.

Vega

Oct 28, 2017
I cannot undestand how Bloober keeps geting all this contracts. They are good at tech, but the rest of their output is mediocre at best, with Observer being maybe the only "good" exception. They must be selling the rights really cheap.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
But there was already a show called Medium. That's gonna be confusing.

Also I really hope they change the story, cause man does it go places (bad ones).

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot undestand how Bloober keeps geting all this contracts. They are good at tech, but the rest of their output is mediocre at best, with Observer being maybe the only "good" exception. They must be selling the rights really cheap.

Or maybe the bar for viewership/engagement is just that low WRT horror media, just look at all the garbage that gets straight to VOD/streaming in the genre, especially on Hulu. The barometer for quality has been set low for awhile now.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Yikes, considering some of the stuff they did with the story I don't know how they can salvage it for a show

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, yeah - that's exactly it. The content engine must be fed, always, and the mad scramble for IP has found its way to games. Expect anything that's not nailed down to at least get optioned over the next few years.

That is grim.

Eh, you guys would be correct like a year or two ago, but that isn't really the case now at least to the point that it once was . Streaming services are still spending for content, but between Netflix's stock dropping and them canceling mass amounts of projects and HBO essentially gutting their streaming-only Max division, it's not the crazy free-for-all it once was. So I don't think it's a 'desperate attempt to get any IP with notoriety.' They probably think there is potential for something there, and the game apparently was successful.

Their projects sell well. That's basically all their is to it lol.

Also I really hope they change the story, cause man does it go places (bad ones).

That show has been off the air for over a decade. It's funny to think about, since it even has a similar premise, but there's zero chance there will be any confusion unless NBC decides to randomly reboot Medium out of nowhere. Which, nowadays, could happen I guess lol, but no word of that happening.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Eh, you guys would be correct like a year or two ago, but that isn't really the case now at least to the point that it once was . Streaming services are still spending for content, but between Netflix's stock dropping and them canceling mass amounts of projects and HBO essentially gutting their streaming-only Max division, it's not the crazy free-for-all it once was. So I don't think it's a 'desperate attempt to get any IP with notoriety.' They probably think there is potential for something there, and the game apparently was successful.

Their projects sell well. That's basically all their is to it lol.

That show has been off the air for over a decade. It's funny to think about, since it even has a similar premise, but there's zero chance there will be any confusion unless NBC decides to randomly reboot Medium out of nowhere. Which, nowadays, could happen I guess lol, but no word of that happening.

Hey, never say never, especially now.

Fun aside though; my mom loves Patricia Arquette and was a huge fan of Medium, so when she saw me playing The Medium, she thought it was based on the show.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Hey, never say never, especially now.

Fun aside though; my mom loves Patricia Arquette and was a huge fan of Medium, so when she saw me playing The Medium, she thought it was based on the show.

It would be funny if they did decide to bring that show back when/if this project gets off the ground lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Those questioning why Bloober continue to get (presumably) great contracts - I'd say that Bloober have carved out a space that most don't. They've specified in a genre and they have become known for it. There aren't a line of other horror specific devs who have been trusted to work on major horror IP (Blair Witch, Silent Hill) waiting to take their spot.

And, yeah, it's easy to point at The Medium as a 71% MC scored game but, actually, if you're pitching this to studios you're probably highlighting the 9/10 from Gamespot or the 92% from PC Gamer or the 8/10 from IGN. I feel like it'd be super easy to PR The Medium as a well recieved (by big sites) new IP in horror with a narrative that could be easily transferred to other media.

Kinda feels like a no brainer to me, and I didn't even particularly love the game.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
But the story is the worst thing about most Bloober team games. It's why people don't want them touching Silent Hill. Observer is the one game of there's that has some interesting narrative elements but even that game super doesn't stick the landing.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Are they gonna have a splash screen at the end of the last episode with a plea to viewers to write them in for an Emmy after ending the series
🤭
That begging capped off the entire shitshow quite aptly. They got a very high opinion of themselves.

They could call the show The Middling instead, although that'd be over-selling it.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
It's a Netflix show so flip a coin as far as that goes. That said, even the base premise of The Medium is kind of… 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's not a Netflix show. The impression I got from the article is that both companies are working on a pitch to see if it's picked up by someone before starting full production.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
is Bloober team one of the greatest failing upwards developer stories in gaming?

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I think it'll work better as a TV series than it did a game, honestly, and I even liked the game somewhat.