• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I love how the one mental health professional who actually posted in this thread said it would be very irresponsible to try to assist someone in crisis through an active thread is completely ignored.

Of course Era moderators continue to give some vague reasoning for their actions without citing a single piece of evidence or professional testimony on how these matters should be handled. Apparently mods on this site are experts in every single field, no need to follow professional guidelines anyone we're in good hands.
They said earlier they've consulted professionals with regard to this. Which post are you referencing, there was a member who was a practicing psychologist posting earlier but I don't think it's the same as the one you're referring to.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
One thing to bear in mind though is that something that might seem like good fun to one group, might be alienating to another. For example, we've gotten feedback from female members that certain kinds of threads and posts make the forum seem like a 'boys club', i.e., there's an assumption that there are no women around / locker room talk.
Another example is how "why can't you all just be normal" threads can swiftly dive into "don't post in here if you aren't a well-adjusted person or we'll mock you"

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imo incentivizing positive threads would help a lot.
I don't want etcetera to become a "stepford smiler" kind of place like r/upliftingnews or something, but the feedback loop of depressive news and really no chill place outside of dedicated OT is imo a big problem.

the moderation has been way to harsh toward banning silly thread in etcetera in my opinion tbh.
non-serious threads are basically banned, so you could start there

but I don't think it's fair to suggest that users are suicidal because of the site, even if the rampant suicidal threads are

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I love how the one mental health professional who actually posted in this thread said it would be very irresponsible to try to assist someone in crisis through an active thread is completely ignored.

Of course Era moderators continue to give some vague reasoning for their actions without citing a single piece of evidence or professional testimony on how these matters should be handled. Apparently mods on this site are experts in every single field, no need to follow professional guidelines anyone we're in good hands.
you should bury your war axe cause:

When a thread is created expressing suicidal ideation, that poster is often looking for validation regarding their current emotional state. In crisis, a suicidal person isn't looking for problem-solvers as much as they're looking for someone that they feel is legitimately listening. I do think pointing a poster in the direction of a suicide prevention hotline should be step 1 all the time. Those working the lines are trained in how to communicate with a suicidal person in terms of empathizing, normalizing negative feelings, and offering legitimate resources, including helping the person get in contact with a local emergency department or law enforcement.

So then the question of keeping a thread open comes into play. There is an argument to be made that keeping a thread open will only deter the person from contacting actual help and that the suicidal person may even feel pressure to keep users posted about their current status--which risks the suicidal person feeling even more like a burden to others. Alternatively, the person in crisis may feel that talking with others that they feel some sort of kinship with is more helpful than a suicide hotline. Even then, once a person is expressing suicidal thoughts, a forum is not going to be sufficient enough to dig that person out of the hole they're in and could make the person abstain from reaching actual help.

he was being way more nuanced.

I agree that there are some people in those threads that only exacerbate suicidal thoughts.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I guess the issue as I see it is, what's the most effective solution to get that person to turn to a mental health professional. I don't think anyone here is arguing that ERA should be an alternative to professional help...

As a person who has struggled with suicidal thoughts and mental health in the past, I know that seeing a flood of support and concern from community members would be far more convincing than having my thread closed and reached out to by a mod. Mentally unstable me would see that as further reinforcement that I'm not worth the trouble more than convince me to seek professional help.

... and I think I'm on board with the idea of splitting political/current affairs into a different board.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
People have a lot to feel sorrow over. Honestly, I'm surprised we don't see this stuff more frequently.

That said, a forum like this should also be a place of solidarity. If we're all on this rock ball together, we have to find ways to begin to see, realize, and understand that at the depths of our being. In many respects, the suffering of who reads this is also my suffering, as is mine in relation to the other.

Our goal as humans, if we're to be so arrogant as to suggest a goal, is to understand and alleviate suffering.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
After thinking on it for a while, I think I have to side with the "lock ideation threads" line of thought. At the end of the day, Era can't guarantee any measure of support for people and the visibility of a constantly bumped thread has several negative side effects that other posters have already pointed out.

Another example is how "why can't you all just be normal" threads can swiftly dive into "don't post in here if you aren't a well-adjusted person or we'll mock you"
I think the meme generally gets used in appropriate, less-serious situations, but I can definitely see it being a contributing factor. Dating and self-esteem threads in particular can be pretty off-putting a lot of the time.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything we can do to help besides a hotline number? Is there a go to thread to help others?

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
This forum is really negative and has a lot of mentally ill people, including me. I can only speculate how this came to be. I was already ill before entering this forum, but people here (and on Twitter) have made me feel really self-conscious in ways no other places in the internet have done.

I think we should all try to be less agressive with each other. And maybe less name calling.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about this a lot. I don't know what the right response is, and I feel like we need to consult a professional about what the right approach is to do here. I'd think there are professionals who can consult with something like this, who normally consult with workplaces or other groups where there's a rise in mental health challenges, particularly around suicide.

I have a lot of thoughts about it, the rise of it, what contributes to them, how to help, what to do, but I'm not a health professional and most of us aren't, and even those of us who are would probably agree that a single mental health professional is not qualified to give solid advice on what can be done here, but rather, a quorum is usually best.

I think the site leadership needs to explore reaching out to a consultant in this area. The cost is probably going to be difficult to cover, so it's tough.

I still think splitting EtcetEra into multiple boards would be the best idea, including a full board dedicated to mental health.

While the motives might be good, I don't know if this is the right approach. Most of us here aren't mental health professionals and even with good, genuine intentions, sometimes people with good intentions who are trying to help someone can inadvertantly lead them into a worse place. If we break off a "mental health" subforum, then I think it sends the sort of message that "This is a place you can go to to get mental health support," but I don't know if we're really qualified to offer that as a suggestion to someone who is in a place that most of us aren't equipped to deal with.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the issue as I see it is, what's the most effective solution to get that person to turn to a mental health professional. I don't think anyone here is arguing that ERA should be an alternative to professional help...

As a person who has struggled with suicidal thoughts and mental health in the past, I know that seeing a flood of support and concern from community members would be far more convincing than having my thread closed and reached out to by a mod. Mentally unstable me would see that as further reinforcement that I'm not worth the trouble more than convince me to seek professional help.

... and I think I'm on board with the idea of splitting political/current affairs into a different board.
Well said overall. That said, I think the overall culture and level of discourse here is ultimately needs to be addressed. Splitting those topics isn't going to really help when they've failed to avoid them or ignore them using the tools currently present. Politics really isn't the specific issue. For a lot of posters everything is either crimson or clovers or complete shit with no nuance or context in between and that just isn't a good way to go about life. News articles are presented regularly with half the info and even the thread titles have too much artistic license given the info presented at times. I feel it makes folks here needlessly aggressive.

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
They said earlier they've consulted professionals with regard to this. Which post are you referencing, there was a member who was a practicing psychologist posting earlier but I don't think it's the same as the one you're referring to.

That's the one I'm referring to, he clearly said that these threads are not appropriate venues to handle crisis situations.

There is without a doubt far more suicide threads on era than I've seen anywhere else and like many others have mentioned I don't think it's a coincidence. These threads impact the era community as a whole. Others have mentioned moving the op from these threads into a stickied mental health thread. That is far more appropriate than exposing the community to these now constant threads. You're causing damage to your community with no concrete evidence that leaving these threads open is actually doing any good for the individual in the long run, it's all anecdotal. I need to see professional guidelines before I believe some moderators that this is the correct course of action.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I've thought about this a lot. I don't know what the right response is, and I feel like we need to consult a professional about what the right approach is to do here. I'd think there are professionals who can consult with something like this, who normally consult with workplaces or other groups where there's a rise in mental health challenges, particularly around suicide.
Just to note that The Woods mentioned this earlier in the thread:
Yes, we've spoken to people with experience in the field and continue to seek their advice and consultation.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I think its the world in general, not so much any forum in particular. Im really not ok either but I know nobody wants to hear about it any more, whether its friends or strangers on the internet so just have to try and keep going.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm concerned about the suggestions of locking threads.

To be more in depth to my first reply, when I had a crisis of mental health last year, I made a thread that was me in reality begging for help. I just wanted to discuss how I felt and it was so much easier to do it on here as it felt like I wasn't a burden. Probably because I'm just posting on a forum rather than trying to speak to a human face to face.

The kind messages of support and encouragement that I received, plus a personal DM of support from a mod really did push me away from killing myself. I knew I had to beat my depression and I wasn't alone. I'll be honest that I didn't reply to the messages and I never did reply to the Mod. Not because I was being a dick, but because I felt ashamed that I was thinking of killing myself. Embarrassed that I just posted my deepest and darkest feelings to a bunch of strangers. I stopped using Era for a while during my recovery because I couldn't face coming back, which I know now was wrong.

We're all different and people will have a crisis of mental health for a number of different reasons. Some will get a great deal of support from seeing kind messages of encouragement where for others it may not make a difference.

The important thing is that we listen when somebody starts thread saying they are thinking of killing themselves. We cannot lock the thread when they are crying out to be heard. If my thread had been locked last August I would have felt like more of a burden than I already did. It might have pushed me over the edge.

Now I am recovering, although depression is a beast that is not beaten easily. However, I feel a lot better now and am becoming the old me again.

In fact, my experience has made me become a mental health rep in my office where I talk to people who are also having mental health issues. I do not give medical advice, but I do sit and listen and offer support channels for the individual to get the help they need. From my experience, people who suffer from depression, like myself, need and want to be heard, but struggle because they feel like a burden and don't want to be judged.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I feel like the show of support shown by the community in those kinds of threads speaks of what kind of community this is. There are a lot of people on this site who care about others and want to help. The site works as a news aggregate and the gloomy tone will reflect that since most news these days is gloomy and depressing. Having your views challenged is hard. Especially when you are in the minority with a certain viewpoint. Such is life. Walk into a thread about dogs and go off about how you hate dogs and you got to expect backlash. Same goes for threads dealing with political and social issues. People need to learn how to read a room. This transfers well into real life as well.

Starshaped

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
While the motives might be good, I don't know if this is the right approach. Most of us here aren't mental health professionals and even with good, genuine intentions, sometimes people with good intentions who are trying to help someone can inadvertantly lead them into a worse place. If we break off a "mental health" subforum, then I think it sends the sort of message that "This is a place you can go to to get mental health support," but I don't know if we're really qualified to offer that as a suggestion to someone who is in a place that most of us aren't equipped to deal with.

Instead of Mental Health then maybe just health and lifestyle? Just trying to workshop a way for posts like these to not end up sandwiched between a Trump thread and a thread about how cilantro is bad, and a way for people who might be having a shitty time who are coming on here and getting bombarded with 40 new topics on why the world is garbage today. Some way to just lighten the overall mood around here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's the one I'm referring to, he clearly said that these threads are not appropriate venues to handle crisis situations.

There is without a doubt far more suicide threads on era than I've seen anywhere else and like many others have mentioned I don't think it's a coincidence. These threads impact the era community as a whole. Others have mentioned moving the op from these threads into a stickied mental health thread. That is far more appropriate than exposing the community to these now constant threads. You're causing damage to your community with no concrete evidence that leaving these threads open is actually doing any good for the individual in the long run, it's all anecdotal. I need to see professional guidelines before I believe some moderators that this is the correct course of action.
I do disagree that having the mental health topic pinned to the top of the forum is more appropriate when people share a lot of very intimate details about their life and situation in it. Having those details permanently stuck atop the page might make some err when considering contributing. The suggestion from staff to instead have a resources thread stuck, with hotline numbers, information and links to resources both external and internal (including the MH thread) would be better imo to avoid that while also giving support.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I think the meme generally gets used in appropriate, less-serious situations, but I can definitely see it being a contributing factor. Dating and self-esteem threads in particular can be pretty off-putting a lot of the time.
Yeah, the term is a bit broad for what I meant. My bad. I was thinking mostly of dating/self-esteem and hygiene threads (I know some people's habits are weird but depression can do a lot to self-care and some folks weren't taught how to practice it so it seems unnecessary when those threads reach a certain level).

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably because people feel comfortable here and know era (despite it's faults) is going to be filled with people looking out for their well being.

I have my beef with some ways this site is ran but mental health threads and the way people respond to the threat of suicide isn't one of them.

I like to think the people actually respond caring and correctly in those moments

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
This is far easier said than done, and I don't even really know where to begin but I think people rely far, far too much on this board and it kind of becomes a substitute for actual meaningful personal interaction day in and day out and that should be discouraged. If someone is obviously having a hard time and posts a thread about it, they need to be directed to someone that can actually help, as 300+ replies of people just pasting the hotline isn't going to help. You also have people who legitimately want to troll and push people on here that can come into the thread and make things 10x worse under the veil of trying to "help". The site and its staff need to consider how comfortable they are with the liability that comes with being willing to host those threads and keep them open.

The nature of a message board, of course, is to post on and contribute to. The site has been around roughly between 850-900 days going back to October of 2017, and we have users that have post counts up in the 40,000+ range. That's about 50 posts a day. It's impossible to limit peoples' time on here, of course, but there should be some sort of encouragement to live your life outside of the board or to direct people to the proper resources if they feel this is where they need to bring their personal or mental issues due to lack of other options. I can count on one hand the time I've seen actual good advice in any "looking for advice" thread that is actually paid attention to, whereas people are far too quick to tell people to cut their entire families off or otherwise react in unhealthy ways to situations that could be easily resolved with a little bit of tact.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda miss the levity that Xia's fast food threads would provide to the board with the Josh Freeman pics, the dayum.gif, and arguments over the best fried chicken. I see them pop up on occasion but they don't stick around long.

That thread with the dog failing out of obedience school was great. I'm not sure how to make threads like that more visible because you're never going to get 10 pages of responses for something like that. Maybe if we could just upvote (not downvote) threads themselves?

I'm also in favor of moving world news and politics into it's own thing. I also suspect a lot of the less depressing stuff being posted on this board is found in the community sections under various topics so maybe shame on me for not hardly ever visiting those places?

There's not really a good answer regarding the suicidal or even the very heavy personal advice threads. Maybe that too should be in its own subsection that maybe only members can see? Throw in the dating threads as well. Really anything where someone might be wanting to discuss personal matters.

Oct 25, 2017

More mod whining under the guise of mental health concerns. Nice.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
When I say that I dislike almost everyone in here, I don't mean to be edgy or controversial. This community is negative, horrible and I won't deny that I end up thinking you're right about the world being awful.

It's just that I can't help but feeling overly depressed or angry when I venture off gaming side to read other stuff. And I have been trying to visit less and less because of that.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yes we should definitely start asking questions as to why this keeps happening in this quantity, never seen this happen so often on other forums. This is not normal for forums.

I myself have been part of this community for years, since way back on NeoGaf. It's definitely not the same anymore.

The admin/mod team should try and do something about it.

I think it would help just to chill out with the negativity in OT especially, no we're not going to die in a few years because of climate change, we're not facing a Nazi problem that is in any way shape or form similar to what it was in WW2. The mods should start doing something about hyperboles because they are affecting the mental health of members here obviously.
The idea that mods need to police people for posting and talking about the news -- of which there are many serious things happening in the world at any given time -- because it's bumming some people and driving others to the brink of suicide (something that is in no way supported by any evidence, because you provided none) is so ridiculous. You say we're not facing a Nazi problem, others will look at children being locked up in camps because of their race and country of origin and think, you know, that's close enough to still be concerned about. Hyperbole is subjective; what you think of the state of the world is not necessarily what it actually is, which, ironically enough, is exactly why we have threads to talk about the state of the world!

There is something to be said about people looking at the news and defaulting to a "Everything sucks, we're doomed, why bother trying" mindset. But that's not solved by restricting what people post, both as threads or replies to threads. I know next to nothing about mental health treatment or the root causes of suicidal ideation. But in my amateur, uninformed opinion based solely on reading the content of the threads in question, it seems to me that what drives someone to consider suicide probably runs deeper than a handful of Trump threads in OT. And if someone is starting a thread about it, it might be because they feel more comfortable here than elsewhere to ask for help, maybe.

Caleb187

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
The separation between GBS and Debate&Discussion on Something Awful worked really well for a long time, and I think it would work really well here too.

I agree. Too much negative real-world news and political discussions in Etcetera I think is stifling more creative, positive, and humor-based posting.

It grows tiring to see a negative thread, first page filled with "fuck that guy/situation" and the last page filled with heated arguments.

We still need those threads, but a separate section I think would help the overall mental well-being of this community.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
As others have said, I would say sticky the MH OT, make a sidebar for it, or create a sticky for resources and the like are all good ideas to start

Split the site into three boards:

Gaming
General Discussion
Current Affairs and Politics

This is not a good idea because the last time that happened, it didn't work out well, communities are concerned enough with drive-by posters, and it would only fragment the communities even further.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Too many people are operating on and making suggestions for changes based on the assumption that it's the content of this message board is what is driving people to these dark mental places, as opposed to the idea that this message board community is acting as a place people feel comfortable crying out for help to. It could be any number of personal, private things that can drive people to feel this way. Assuming it's because "the front page threads are depressing"'without any actual evidence of this seems reductive.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
thats fine, i think you're incorrect as well. it should be handled by professionals, and people should be directed to them. this aint that.
People ARE directed to professionals. But people also offer sympathy, encouragement and possible relatable stories of what they've gone through that might've been similar and how they pulled through

Oct 25, 2017
ERA is not a suicide hotline.

Asking for support from the place that is assisting in driving depression, anxiety, hopelessness is not a solution to those issues.

ERA, is not remotely equipped to handle these things. The responsible thing to do is to direct people to crisis hotlines and have people who are at lease reasonable trained to handle these situations... handle them.

The margin of error for something going wrong with just letting random internet people talk to a person who is suicidal is fucking wide enough that it makes me furious such an option is being practiced.

If what people here are calling "cries for help" can be handled by ERA members... it can be handled by someone who is trained in literally dealing with cries for help without opening up the massive margin of error that soliciting responses from random people online brings.

And if that's the case, then why are we exposing suicide threads to the wider population of ERA and not considering what that does to people?
I agree with you completely.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me, it's challenging to find positive news to post here on ERA because all the news I've seen and I think would be good for others to know about has been related to what would be considered negative when dealing with mental health issues.

The news sites I monitor has very little, if any, positive news but does have predominantly negative news and yes, reading the news has affected my mental health.

Pivoting away from negative forum threads, to me, the people who post suicide threads here on ERA are doing it because they feel comfortable enough to post to say to others on here that they need help and may not feel fully comfortable to call up the posted hotlines but do feel comfortable enough to talk to one of us.

I fully agree that immediately locking a suicide thread with a staff post giving the suicide hotline numbers and other professional resources is not a good idea to me.

I also agree that professional help is certainly needed to help a person deal with the problems they are facing that have caused them to have suicidal feelings.

It's challenging for internet forums such as ERA to deal with mental health so I fully appreciate everything the staff and mods do to try to help with mental health and would like to personally say "Thank you" to all the staff and mods here on ERA for fully recognizing that mental health is important and to personally say "Thank you" to everyone who goes into a suicide thread to try to help as best as they can to stop the person from actually going through with suicide.

Ideation threads need to be reported and locked. Resetera is a gaming forum filled with random people, the vast majority of us are ill-equipped to deal with talking someone out of suicide, even if we mean well. Last night an off-collar comment (made by someone offsite, granted) was enough to agitate a thread starter here that was asking for help, so this really isn't a risk we should be taking.

Mods providing support links and information for flagged users seems to be the most responsible thing to do going forward.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
This is a fair point, and something I'll raise with the team. One thing to bear in mind though is that something that might seem like good fun to one group, might be alienating to another. For example, we've gotten feedback from female members that certain kinds of threads and posts make the forum seem like a 'boys club', i.e., there's an assumption that there are no women around / locker room talk. That's not to see that there aren't other silly threads that can be left open. I'm not aware of exactly how many of these threads are being locked, but it's something I'll raise with the team.

We are however brainstorming ideas on how to uplift the mood on the forum, including hosting more fun events. We'll hopefully have more to say on that in the coming weeks.

Oh man, more things like the avengers tag thread! It felt like the entire community was participating.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suicide has been on a constant rise in USA for over a decade now, and in the U.K. it's risen to its highest in 16 years.

There's a Reddit where someone posts about feeling suicidal every 5 minutes.

There are also very toxic sites like 4chan or incel communities that encourage these suicidal tendencies.

All this to say, it's not unique to this forum, and while it's good people feel they can open up about feelings of self-harm we really aren't equipped to cope with it, at all.

Folk need to stop being so catastrophic about everything regarding politics/climate/economy etc too because it's usually always hyperbolic.

The world will keep spinning, there's so much to enjoy and appreciate and the best revenge against those you dislike is to live a happy life.

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Too many people are operating on and making suggestions for changes based on the assumption that it's the content of this message board is what is driving people to these dark mental places, as opposed to the idea that this message board community is acting as a place people feel comfortable crying out for help to. It could be any number of personal, private things that can drive people to feel this way. Assuming it's because "the front page threads are depressing"'without any actual evidence of this seems reductive.

I think it's worth navel gazing about because "you are what you eat".

It's worth asking if you spend several hours a day reading ResetERA, do you feel better, the same, or worse? And what impact, if any, that would have on people that have a predisposition to being depressed or suicidal?

Then is it the board's responsibility to then segregate some of the heavier conversations into its own section if it means that more people can log off of ResetERA feeling better?

Plus there's an existential argument for membership intertwined here where if people genuinely feel worse after participating in discussion then what does that do for member retention? If it's true that there are so few safe spaces for discussion on the internet like ResetERA, then don't we kinda owe it to everyone to at least have the option to make their stay more pleasant instead of taking the stance of "well go post somewhere else"?

I guess at some point personal responsibility meets curation and I'm still not sure where that point lies. It's at least worth discussing in context to the mental well being to everyone on the board.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Start a separate forum for Mental Health/ChillingOut/Relaxation/Philosophy. Move the suicide threats to that forum where there's a community of listeners and concerned folks. I don't think it does much good to have that stuff on the front page of OT all day long.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.

Sure there are some making that leap in logic, but even not taking the increasing threats of suicide into account, it's no secret that a not so insignificant amount of members find the atmosphere on general discussion to be depressing and crushingly cynical. Mods have already acknowledged this in a side bar, so any progress made on that forefront will definitely be welcome.

In other words, I don't expect there to be changes for the worse, regardless of correlation.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I have to say I'm kind of shocked at the intense cynicism and negativity in some of these posts. This is the first online community I've ever been a part of and it's been nothing but positive for me. I've learned so much about so many different people, discovered so many new things (Especially when it comes to hip-hop, s/o hip-hop era). The only things that ever get me down are my personal self reflections when I'm stupid/childish and argue over a movie,sport,etc. in a manner that I wouldn't do in a real life conversation. Then it's time for me to step away and go walk my dog or something.

My Facebook feed is nothing but people trying to one up each other about their lives,posting about politics, or the 50yo+ Members of my family posting about every little thing because they don't really know how to not over share. My Instagram used to be the same before I started a new one and just followed positive accounts. I really honestly don't think there's anywhere where you can escape negativity and cynicism, life is really hard for so many people.

Heck, just go out on a weekend and see how people treat each other or behave. People can be shitty/condescending/ smug/ pompous/prick's etc. etc. to each other everywhere, online and off. No need to paint everyone here with a scarlet letter.

Your best bet is to try as much as you can to find a group of people who always have your back, or a hobby/interest you deeply , deeply love that can occupy your mind when the darkness starts to set In.I'm lucky I have a lot of extended family, a dog, and a deep love of music they can always lift me.

Of course there are going to be plenty of negative topics/sentiments day today, just look at the state of the world. Yet, I am honestly very grateful that I have this community as a way to unwind and just vent about things or to occupy my mind with dozens of new topics after a long day.

I am not even going to begin to touch the mental health issue but if anyone reading this ever gets down, I am a complete night owl and my job requires me to constantly be glued to my phone during the day so send me a message and let's have a chat.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
I deleted my post for fear of a ban.

Glanced at your post history. It was a bunch of Bernie = Trump, and when people asked you to show your work it was just "Bernie will divide the country which hurts my family."
I can see how that got swept into the trolling category. But this is 100% not the place for airing your grievances about a ban. Why are people treating a topic about suicide as a place to vent about moderation? Geez.

Edit: Ha I clicked reply without refreshing and turns out you edited your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.