• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
grab your wax right away bro. One variant left!
missed out on it but I'm not too worried since I can still own the regular version, and it'll at least match my copy of "hammer of night" since I missed out on that special edition too.

but at this point next sign up period I should just subscribe to the gilead media vinyl club since I've bought at least 8 records from them directly within the last 12 months o_O

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, that Volumes EP is all kinds of mediocre isn't it? Very odd production/mix as well.

]

Their first album was fantastic, No Sleep after that had its highs as well but didn't really grab me as much as their debut effort. The lyrics seem to have gotten especially terrible.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
missed out on it but I'm not too worried since I can still own the regular version, and it'll at least match my copy of "hammer of night" since I missed out on that special edition too.

but at this point next sign up period I should just subscribe to the gilead media vinyl club since I've bought at least 8 records from them directly within the last 12 months o_O
I need to post my updated collection. Haven't since Sick with Bloom.

I was very, very close to doing the sub this year. Admittedly Yellow Eyes is quite far and away the best project on their roster for me and I would have been basically signing up solely for their sub exclusive variants, but I was pretty interested in the Krallice reissues. That, and entrance to the test press set lottery lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I need to post my updated collection. Haven't since Sick with Bloom.

I was very, very close to doing the sub this year. Admittedly Yellow Eyes is quite far and away the best project on their roster for me and I would have been basically signing up solely for their sub exclusive variants, but I was pretty interested in the Krallice reissues. That, and entrance to the test press set lottery lol.
that's mostly me except with a few others thrown in like mutilation rites, bosse-de-nage (flenser), and false

even though I didn't buy the albums and neither would be played very often, I wouldn't be upset with receiving a copy of the new portrayal of guilt or pandiscordian necrogenesis :P

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Ares Kingdom (MO) - Eighteen Degrees Beneath

an advanced track for the upcoming Ares Kingdom has finally been unleashed. Analog deathrash annihilation.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe I've already 'outgrown' TAIM after like... one album.

It's not bad but it's not really doing anything for me either.

Beary

May 23, 2018
I was kind of nostalgic lately and thought about the first metal concert I ever went to back in 2006. It was sold as a metalcore extravaganza with three bands for 12 bucks: Fear My Thoughts, Maroon and Heaven Shall Burn as Headliner. It was one of the sweatiest evenings in my life and is still one of the best concerts I ever went to. So I was listening to these bands again and I thought I should share some of these songs with you in all their cheesy 240p glory.

First up is Fear my Thoughts with Reign. I thought the effects in this video were so cool, but nowadays they seem kind of silly, like the words coming out of the singers mouth with some incredible facial expressions. Still a fun video to watch to this day and the riffs are great too. Not sure if I would consider them a metalcore band though.

Maroon on the other hand definitely is a metalcore band, although I feel they are both more metal and hardcore than modern metalcore bands. They did the most in your face lyric video ever created where it only displays some words but in the biggest possible font. I went to their final concert in 2014 where they played this song and dedicated it to their recently deceased friend. (That dedication was really weird.) But the song is great...

Heaven Shall Burn is great too, but their videos aren't as fun... Saw them again in 2008 at a festival and they were even better then. The circle pit was so big that it felt like a hiking trip.

So what bands did you see at your first metal concert?

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Belzebubs album - Aces. I love it.
Born A New ablum - Not really a fan. It's...kind of boring? Deathcore with raprock/metal elements to it. Almost every riff sounds the same. What I thought was one song was actually like three.
Enforcer album - Never really listened to them before, but I get a very 80s feel. Some very good songs, some pretty good. I really wasn't a fan of some of the ballads though.

Heaven Shall Burn is great too, but their videos aren't as fun... Saw them again in 2008 at a festival and they were even better then. The circle pit was so big that it felt like a hiking trip.

I love HSB, ever since "The Weapon They Fear". It's been an uphill battle trying to get my friends to listen to them. The last two albums have been fantastic and crushing.

For my first band, hm... I think it was Slipknot. I don't remember anything about the show really though.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017

My first concert was the Seattle Metalcore band Himsa, with Splatterhouse which was a carcass / impaled worship band (who were fucking good live), and a couple of local bands that aren't around anymore.

I probably wouldn't listen to Himsa unless something pushed me to as I don't really enjoy their music anymore, but the one Splatterhouse album is still an extremely good listen.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
First concert I went to was Disturbed/Mudvayne in 2001. First few years of going to shows was mostly nu-metal, since that's the stuff my friends would go to. First "real" metal show was maybe Slayer/In Flames in 2002, even though both were well past their prime at that point.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
My first concert was the Seattle Metalcore band Himsa, with Splatterhouse which was a carcass / impaled worship band (who were fucking good live), and a couple of local bands that aren't around anymore.

I probably wouldn't listen to Himsa unless something pushed me to as I don't really enjoy their music anymore, but the one Splatterhouse album is still an extremely good listen.
that Splatterhouse is one of my favorite Razorback LPs for sure.

my first few shows were all local metalcore bands at high school gyms and theaters.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
The early Razorback days were awesome. A lot of criminally underrated bands/releases. Splatterhouse played here in 2006 with Pungent Stench/Machetazo and killed it. Sucks they didn't do much after. Saw them again a few years ago at MDF and were still great live, but seem fairly dormant again.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
that Splatterhouse is one of my favorite Razorback LPs for sure.

my first few shows were all local metalcore bands at high school gyms and theaters.
The early Razorback days were awesome. A lot of criminally underrated bands/releases. Splatterhouse played here in 2006 with Pungent Stench/Machetazo and killed it. Sucks they didn't do much after. Saw them again a few years ago at MDF and were still great live, but seem fairly dormant again.

I agree with both of you!

It's also really interesting that they keep going dormant but then getting back together for touring, the one release was great, I wish they had more coming.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It's also really interesting that they keep going dormant but then getting back together for touring, the one release was great, I wish they had more coming.
I'd guess they were all just busy with different bands. That whole scene there in general seems fairly strange. Hard to keep track of which bands are currently active/doing shows. Lord Gore, Engorged, Frightmare, etc.

Beary

May 23, 2018
I love HSB, ever since "The Weapon They Fear". It's been an uphill battle trying to get my friends to listen to them. The last two albums have been fantastic and crushing.

For my first band, hm... I think it was Slipknot. I don't remember anything about the show really though.

HSB are such an incredible force live. I think from 2006 to 2010 I saw them once a year and it was great every time. The records from those years Antigone, Deaf to Our Prayers and Iconoclast are also my favorites of their discography. I kind of fell off for a while after that, but I think I'm going to get back with the newer albums now.

Interesting that you don't remember all that much about your first shows. For me those were the most memorable. Nowadays I have seen most of the bands I am interested in multiple times already so it all kind of blurs together.

First concert I went to was Disturbed/Mudvayne in 2001. First few years of going to shows was mostly nu-metal, since that's the stuff my friends would go to. First "real" metal show was maybe Slayer/In Flames in 2002, even though both were well past their prime at that point.

I saw In Flames for the first time in 2013. I think I would have rather seen them in 2002...

Cannibal Corpse. Pretty brutal stuff for the first metal concert :D

Same for one of my friends. I think he saw them with his dad, when he was 14 or so. I don't know with whom I'm more impressed with :D

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I saw In Flames for the first time in 2013. I think I would have rather seen them in 2002...
Ha, fair enough. I enjoyed the set, just remember being kinda bummed out by the set list being mostly Reroute to Remain and Clayman stuff, since they only had 30-ish minutes and their older stuff was a major pathway to me getting into more extreme music at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Ozzfest 2001 and 2002

Actual concert would be every time I die, from autumn to ashes, funeral for a friend, and murder by death in 2003 at the metro chicago (barely metal)

followed by every time I die, as I lay dying, the black dahlia murder, and scarlet in 2004 at the fireside bowl bowling alley (more metal)

Last edited:

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. Mine was Linkin Park, Mudvayne and Xhibit, followed by Godsmack and Chevelle.

Amon Amarth or KSE was probably my first actual metal concert

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
I like the new Enforcer quite a bit. Not their best, but still good. I can see why people dislike it though.
They tried a lot of different things with Zenith, but I like most of the songs.
My problem with their first album is it's repetition. Zenith is the exact opposite, for better or worse.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
The first concert I went to by myself was right after I got my license and it was Cauldron and Enforcer. Cannot remember my first metal show, it was in 8th grade though

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
First concert for me was the day after I moved to Toronto. Gigantour 2006.

I like the new Enforcer quite a bit. Not their best, but still good. I can see why people dislike it though.
They tried a lot of different things with Zenith, but I like most of the songs.
My problem with their first album is it's repetition. Zenith is the exact opposite, for better or worse.

This is what I did appreciate, that there was a bit of variety. Like I mentioned, maybe it'll just take a bit more listens for it to sink in.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I had no idea Archons put out a new album! This is a very good morning. I really loved their 2008 album, "The Consequences of Silence". I'm giving their newest album a listen and am quite happy so far.

Here's a couple tracks from the new album.

Archons - Buried Underneath The Lies
Melodic Death Metal

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn. Bleak by Opeth slaps so hard. This might be the greatest song of all time. So catchy, so melodic, such a headbanger. Mmmhmmm

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like mgla is being targeted for associating with mikko aspa and a couple of their shows have been cancelled on their EU tour. They're asking for fans to tske screenshots of "smear" articles for proof in a legal setting

:O

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to point out the double standard for them in this very thread, but I bit my tongue. Most people who worship them have never even heard of Northern Heritage, which should be good exposure for the label, but these fake ass journalists don't give a shit about metal and it was only a matter of time before someone tried to tear it down.

yesterday, Kaldrad, one of Russian black metal's most important contributors passed away as the result of a tragic accident. The underground black metal community is in mourning, but I'm sure that the scene police will catch the news and make a handful of metal detective articles celebrating his death. His musical legacy is undeniable, putting BlazeBirth Hall on the map as a force to be reckoned with right along side Les Légions Noires and The Temple of Fullmoon. This is probably my favorite "clean" black metal song and I recommend it wholeheartedly. I have never been as engrossed by tracks completely lacking distortion as with those written by Kaldrad. Overall this is one of the strongest Russian black metal LPs ever released.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Technically, it was Martyr, with Ghoulunatics and Spelldown as openers. All local bands. My soon-to-be-boyfriend* had just won free tickets from some online contest and I went with him, despite not really knowing the bands. It was all right. Ghoulunatics sucked, though.

The first "real" concert, as in, one I really wanted to see and bought my own tickets for, was literally a week later at the same venue (since I was still underage, that previous concert was a nice "practice run" to see if I'd get into the venue, lol), the lineup was pretty awesome: Amorphis/Moonspell/The Kovenant (in reverse order, Amorphis being headliner). Place was packed, but the show was great, and I still remember it fondly to this day even if I had a stupid cold (for some reason, I remember that, too).

All 3 bands were great, but IMO Moonspell stole the show. Killer performance and great setlist. I think the place was more densely packed for them than for Amorphis, after they finished all the goth peeps left LOL.

Later in the same year I also saw Iron Maiden for the first time (Brave New World tour), too. My first "big arena" concert, I was just shy of turning 18. Entombed and Halford were the opener. Man... those were such killer lineups.

* We started dating literally just a few weeks later and are still together <3

Oct 28, 2017
My first concert was in 2004 when I was 13 years old. Saw Alice Cooper at the Michigan State Fair.

I'm gonna go ahead and classify Alice as metal.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Looks like mgla is being targeted for associating with mikko aspa and a couple of their shows have been cancelled on their EU tour. They're asking for fans to tske screenshots of "smear" articles for proof in a legal setting

:O
Two gigs in Germany have been cancelled.

Been reading now about Aspa and I had no idea that he is a vocalist in Deathspell Omega.