• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
The newest Killswitch Engage has come out, and it sounds like a proper rager. I'm so glad that they didn't disappear after Howard Jones left. In that spirit, here is my favourite from their last album.

Song of the Day:

Killswitch Engage - Hate by Design

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Killswitch and other of their ilk just never do it for me, always give them a chance but it has never stuck.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Some great songs on Atonement, some forgettable. Still worth a listen most def. Good album for the commute to work.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017

I'm not going to lie, this initially got my attention because it's an all-female black metal band which is probably one of the rarest things ever; but I gotta say, these gals are not fucking around. This shit absolutely rips.

This new album isn't out until September, but their previous album Potestas Magicum Diaboli is probably one of my favourite metal discoveries of this year.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
Preface: there is going to be a good deal of genre (mis)labeling in the following post. Please forgive me.

Recommend me some melodic death metal, MetalERA.

Lately I have found myself waiting to listen to some metal. A friend of mine I'm not really in touch with was foaming about Wintersun in FB and I gave it a listen. Turns out I liked it.

I started my music listening with 90's punk (NOFX etc.). Back in the day I did listen to metal too, but only with clean singing (power, NWOBHM etc.) but I didn't care for growls and screams. Then, later in life I got into (post)hardcore, and post metal (bands like Callisto, Isis etc.) and developed a taste for scream vocals. Delved into metalcore and came back.

What I'm saying, I kinda skipped most of the side of metal that didn't have it's roots firmly in hardcore punk.

Now, back to Wintersun and the song in question, Sons of Winter and Stars. I love how the guys growl in unison. I think this has to do with my roots in listening to punk, but I looooove when the chorus is sung together in unison. I think the genre here is melodic death metal, but feel free to correct me.

So this brings us to me asking for recommendations. Bands, or more preferably songs.

I'm looking for:

- Songs with emphasis on the melodic side.
- Good growl vocals, huge plus if they do it in unison.
- Quality live or studio recordings, not looking for genre roots right now. Give me that ear honey please!
- Singing about some nerd shit is a huge plus.

Hook me up, MetalERA!
You have to listen to Amon Amarth then, if you haven't already. Not a deep cut by any means but it seems right up your alley.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I continue to give it chances, just I'm not drawn to it at all. This forum leans black metal heavy too, which is fine as I like to hear new shit, but I'm not the biggest black metal fan.

ever check this LS album out? Still has thrash roots, but it definitely got me to look into metalcore.

I don't really listen to much metalcore overall even after all this time but I can't deny how much I love those first few Botch and Dillinger Escape Plan albums. Converge is pretty cool, too.

Last edited:

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
I continue to give it chances, just I'm not drawn to it at all. This forum leans black metal heavy too, which is fine as I like to hear new shit, but I'm not the biggest black metal fan.

I don't agree with you, i think it leans more to the Death side, but i've seen many people, not just you :) saying the same, that is part of the reason why i refrain from posting more. I just listened to BM my whole life, but this year im just changing that and discovering Death Metal so i can say it's a 10% / 90% split between BM and DM.

IM a Death Metal Pro now LOL

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Valkyr

I summon thee for a black metal rec.

but yeah I don't feel the black metal presence is a majority. At the very least, traditional/straight black metal doesn't get mentioned too much.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Most forums I've been on lean extremely towards funeral doom / doom / shoegaze. It's nice to see so much variety in the thread and people eager to try out new stuff even if it's not in their preferred genre.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Valkyr

I summon thee for a black metal rec.

but yeah I don't feel the black metal presence is a majority. At the very least, traditional/straight black metal doesn't get mentioned too much.

Yo! I do need to blacken this thread up a little more but to be honest, I tend to listen to a lot less black metal during the summer months. I've been slacking on new music in general lately too.

I did however listen to the new Black Cilice track that dropped and it sounds very good. Looking forward to that release a lot. They are still one of the best raw bm bands going.

Those 2 Sanguine Eagle albums are still 2 of my favs as well this year.

Lastly, for something old, I get into the first 2 Forgotten Woods albums in a big way earlier this summer. Man, they are just so good. Almost like if Burzum were a prog band.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Yo! I do need to blacken this thread up a little more but to be honest, I tend to listen to a lot less black metal during the summer months. I've been slacking on new music in general lately too.

I did however listen to the new Black Cilice track that dropped and it sounds very good. Looking forward to that release a lot. They are still one of the best raw bm bands going.

Those 2 Sanguine Eagle albums are still 2 of my favs as well this year.

Lastly, for something old, I get into the first 2 Forgotten Woods albums in a big way earlier this summer. Man, they are just so good. Almost like if Burzum were a prog band.

ay yooo, new BC. It's funny cause I remember at the old place when you rec'd Mysteries and it was during the summer lol.

yep, vouch for Forgotten Woods. Some distros have been getting in No Colours stock and I've been meaning to grab some FW.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with you, i think it leans more to the Death side, but i've seen many people, not just you :) saying the same, that is part of the reason why i refrain from posting more. I just listened to BM my whole life, but this year im just changing that and discovering Death Metal so i can say it's a 10% / 90% split between BM and DM.

IM a Death Metal Pro now LOL

Coming from Gaf, the metal thread presence there after I joined in 2014 had a lot more power metal than here. Cannot deny a strong black metal presence in this thread, which again is fine, I might like some theme days though to spruce up the variety.

ever check this LS album out? Still has thrash roots, but it definitely got me to look into metalcore.

I don't really listen to much metalcore overall even after all this time but I can't deny how much I love those first few Botch and Dillinger Escape Plan albums. Converge is pretty cool, too.

Living Sacrifice were always an interesting band, not my favorite Christian thrash band, but good enough to recommend.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
ay yooo, new BC. It's funny cause I remember at the old place when you rec'd Mysteries and it was during the summer lol.

yep, vouch for Forgotten Woods. Some distros have been getting in No Colours stock and I've been meaning to grab some FW.

Haha yeah might have been. I'll definitely listen to the new album when it comes out in September but I'm sure I'll give it the most rotations during some dark and cold winter nights. My tastes generally do follow the seasons. Winter is all about black metal. Summer time is generally more death metal.

Fall is just Drudkh and Type O Negative...
Kidding
but kinda true though

Shane

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not going to lie, this initially got my attention because it's an all-female black metal band which is probably one of the rarest things ever; but I gotta say, these gals are not fucking around. This shit absolutely rips.

This new album isn't out until September, but their previous album Potestas Magicum Diaboli is probably one of my favourite metal discoveries of this year.

Enjoying this, and black metal usually isn't my thing. Thanks for sharing!

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine listening to or taking black metal seriously, especially in 2019. To each their own though.

Oct 27, 2017
not metal... more folk/post rock/etc, but the guitarist from falls of rauros has another project that he plays guitar/sings/composes that just released an album yesterday and it's pretty interesting. apparently they played fire in the mountains this year with wolves in the throne room, saor, etc
reminds me of when I kept seeing murder by death on tours in the early 2000s with bands like every time I die and from autumn to ashes

excited to get the vinyl along with mike patton/jean-claude vannier's corpse flower this year

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Listening to the new Shadow of Intent album and i feel like I like it but don't love it. There's a certain spark to their second album that this one seems to lack, though I could not tell you what that is.

I'm sure it'll grow on me though.
Preface: there is going to be a good deal of genre (mis)labeling in the following post. Please forgive me.
Recommend me some melodic death metal, MetalERA.
Check Ne Obliviscaris. My favorite album from them is their second, Citadel, but their other two are pretty fantastic. I'd also recommend Cypecore and Amon Amarth, though both have less "orchestral" bits in favor of some really catchy guitar.

Cypecore's The Alliance is a fabulous album.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Personal opinion: it's a genre of music that was only interesting in the context of its time and place (and even then, was mostly awful). We're decades past that at this point. If someone gets enjoyment out of it though, then whatever, cool for them.
you say this as if black metal as a whole is defined by its novelty. Why would this apply to black metal exclusively, rather than any other genre of extreme metal that came about? If this is about black metal being lo-fi, that is a path of the old guard that bands today are free to follow but also is nowhere near as prominent. Not every black metal album sounds like Nattens Madrigal.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
you say this as if black metal as a whole is defined by its novelty. Why would this apply to black metal exclusively, rather than any other genre of extreme metal that came about?
I don't think it's necessarily exclusive. There are genres that are defined more by time/place/mindset/aesthetic/etc., the early powerviolence scene for example. I'd make a similar argument about most punk being infinitely less interesting removed from the context of its incarnation as well.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's necessarily exclusive. There are genres that are defined more by time/place/mindset/aesthetic/etc., the early powerviolence scene for example. I'd make a similar argument about most punk being infinitely less interesting removed from the context of its incarnation as well.

Its funny because I see black metal as an increasingly popular genre, so many bands using it as a base ingredient for their sound.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I see what you're saying, and context can always make something more captivating, but from my perspective it is mostly trivia. Regardless of what birthed black metal in the first place, for me it has always been one of the most interesting and versatile genres in metal. When it comes to melodic expression, frankly it is untouchable.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019

I absolutely cannot wait for this album. Their last one was just phenomenal. I just love the evolution of his vocal delivery. its so unique and powerful. I'm a little scared though with the lineup change, but I'm totally willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt and just buy it day one.

Tangent, I just fell down the epic/atmospheric black metal hole and found that I really really like the new Grima album Will of the Primordial and the newest Can Bardd album The Last Rain. But I am having trouble finding other bands in this vein as they mostly seem to get way too "screaming from the depths of hell" black metal and not enough "epic and grad" black metal. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was not aware of any lineup changes. Though they have only gotten better every album imo so I'm not worried.

And yeah Travis' range has gotten more impressive over the years.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Finally saw Metallica on Friday and it was awesome. We got pretty lucky with set list, sound was fantastic in front of the stage.

Next gig (if they do not switch my shifts) : Mgla

Last edited:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Tangent, I just fell down the epic/atmospheric black metal hole and found that I really really like the new Grima album Will of the Primordial and the newest Can Bardd album The Last Rain. But I am having trouble finding other bands in this vein as they mostly seem to get way too "screaming from the depths of hell" black metal and not enough "epic and grad" black metal. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh there's plenty of stuff out there like this.

Try these:
Sojourner

Eldamar

Saor

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Personal opinion: it's a genre of music that was only interesting in the context of its time and place (and even then, was mostly awful). We're decades past that at this point. If someone gets enjoyment out of it though, then whatever, cool for them.
I thought this was going in a completely different direction, but that doesn't mean I won't heavily disagree with this one as well 😉 (All in good humour, of course)

I'll start a bit nitpicky about its "time and place". Do you mean the mid-80s to late-80s or the early 90s (i.e., first wave or second wave)? I'm not asking this because my next sentence will be "Hah, you don't even know what you're talking about!", but because to me, there even being different waves signifies that there's certainly more than one time and place for Black Metal. Meaning, Black Metal wasn't just a fluke and evolved (or de-evolved maybe, w.r.t. the second wave's lo-fi quality?) over time.

Sure, that doesn't necessarily mean it's still relevant today, but then I'd argue you should look at whether current Black Metal is just treading on very familiar ground and doing things that have been done for years and years or not, i.e., if it's still evolving. I'd say that's definitely the case. I personally don't like everything that's being done and labelled as "Black Metal", but no one can deny the genre is very much alive and trying new things.

There are definitely other sub-genres of metal you could accuse of the things I wrote in the prior paragraph, though 😉

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The newest Killswitch Engage has come out, and it sounds like a proper rager.
The thing with KSE albums, especially the output since their last with Howard (which is their only bad album, afaic), is that they somehow keep getting better after each time I listen through it. They very much grow on me more and more every time until I'm absolutely in love with them.

Hearing Howard and Jesse together brings a huge smile on my face though. I hope they do more stuff together in the future.