• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
First 25 bands announced for next year's Maryland Deathfest. Early bird tickets on sale too.

FB_IMG_15293403849037952.jpg

Bethlehem (Germany)
Blood (Germany) – Exclusive U.S. appearance
Brutality
The Chasm
Cro-Mags
D.R.I.
Frightmare
Full of Hell
Grotesque Organ Defilement (Canada)
Guttural Secrete
Hideous
Immolation
Indian
Mortician
Outre-Tomb (Canada)
Pestilence (Netherlands)
Scour
Skaphe
Squash Bowels (Poland)
Sulaco
Tomb Mold (Canada)
Unanimated (Sweden) – Exclusive U.S. appearance
Vault Dweller
Violator (Brazil) – Exclusive U.S. appearance
Vomitory (Sweden) – Exclusive U.S. appearance

Bought my four day pass already, best first batch announcement in years. This year's fest was the most fun id had at MDF in a while, I don't miss the Edison lot stage at all.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
So since I'll be seeing Ne Obliviscaris later this year, I figured I'd give 'em a look.

Holy shit! Portal of I is a phenomenal album. Blown away by how well it works in that violin.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I caught Primitive Man, Forn, YOB, and Bell Witch live this weekend. Have seen them all live before but Forn and holllllllly shit -- they killed it!
PM was not as good as they were the first time I caught them -- they slowed their tempo down from Caustic and basically stretched 4 songs into 45 minutes.. Was just meh.
Bell Witch and YOB were solid as always -- absolutely amazing, thick, crushing sound.

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
:O noooo not really. It's like the same record over and over again but less and less atmospheric each time. Should have stopped at Salvation and saved himself...

Nah. Salvation, Maranatha and Hekatomb are all very different from each other. I wasn't impressed by Hekatomb at first, but after some listens I'm sure this is the best black metal record I've heard for years.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Salvation, Maranatha and Hekatomb are all very different from each other. I wasn't impressed by Hekatomb at first, but after some listens I'm sure this is the best black metal record I've heard for years.

That's... that's quite the statment, but i can see where you coming from and i respect it. It's a solid album and worth a listen i'll give you that. But not top 10 material for me.
But hey, i look foward to hearing about more records from you!

Bebop242

Oct 28, 2017
So Abigail Williams, Ghost Bath and Wolvhammer just announced a show in my town. I only know a bit of Ghost Bath (like the music, could do without the "vocals")

As someone with very little Black metal experience, is this a good show to check out for someone who is warming up to blacked stuff?

Scottify

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to listening to the new Kataklysm. Such a great record. Remind me a lot of At The Gates. Highly recommended.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
So Abigail Williams, Ghost Bath and Wolvhammer just announced a show in my town. I only know a bit of Ghost Bath (like the music, could do without the "vocals")

As someone with very little Black metal experience, is this a good show to check out for someone who is warming up to blacked stuff?

No. I think you could do better really. You probably better off starting with more mainstream bands, they probably sound alot better live, and can at least keep you invested in hearing more in the future.
And from that lot Wolvhammer are probably the more typical Black Metal band. I got a good chuckle from Ghost Bath, did not know them, even the band name is ridiculous.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
Bought my four day pass already, best first batch announcement in years. This year's fest was the most fun id had at MDF in a while, I don't miss the Edison lot stage at all.

Same here. This years was the most fun I have had at MDF since 2012. I am loving the lineup already and am glad they have some thrash back on the bill. Edison lot was always a pain in the ass for me. I hated it.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, those were a few of my main draws this year. DHG, Ruins of Beverast, and Suffering Hour were the others I couldnt miss and really enjoyed.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
MDF last year was the best experience of going to the fest with friends but it wasn't because of the bands

MDF to me was always this mythical thing full of bands you could only see there. Now it's just a party with a bunch of touring bands

First announcement is a huge step in the right direction to get back on track but they've pulled this shit before where the first announcement is impressive and then the rest are filler

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
would love to see Violator and Cro mags, Problem is spending my entire concert budget to go, lots of other things I'd love to go to also

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Song of the day

So I finally listened to Spiritual Black Dimensions and it's a pretty good album! But this song in particular is pure awesomeness. That intro is something else.

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Now for the hard hitting question you've all been waiting for... Which Severed Survival cover do you like best? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess most people like the original. I however, think the zombie surgeons are a better cover. The original just reminds me of bad Hellraiser art where the zombie surgeons have a bit of scary fun to them. Had a work trip recently and got to spin this with some focus and I have to say, this is a kick ass album. I really got an ear on the solos in the car since I didn't have anything else to focus on for a few hours and they are pretty impressive. I'd add that the bass is nice and prominent on my home stereo. Looking forward to picking up more from these guys.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
Now for the hard hitting question you've all been waiting for... Which Severed Survival cover do you like best? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess most people like the original. I however, think the zombie surgeons are a better cover. The original just reminds me of bad Hellraiser art where the zombie surgeons have a bit of scary fun to them. Had a work trip recently and got to spin this with some focus and I have to say, this is a kick ass album. I really got an ear on the solos in the car since I didn't have anything else to focus on for a few hours and they are pretty impressive. I'd add that the bass is nice and prominent on my home stereo. Looking forward to picking up more from these guys.

I am partial to the original art, but thats not to say I don't like the surgeons art. To me it will always be the album cover :)

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
My first exposure to the album had the surgeons art so I'm partial to that. I love the colors going on in it. Original art is still cool though. That's what my vinyl copy as on it.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

Original for me, it just fits the title better and looks cooler

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I like those two pretty much equally... to my taste, Mental Funeral has their best cover art.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017

Surgeon cover. Better composition, layout, and detail. Original cover is great, but a bit amateurish. The great thing about Autopsy is how they use different logos for almost all their albums.
The harder question is: Severed Survival or Mental Funeral?

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Surgeon cover. Better composition, layout, and detail. Original cover is great, but a bit amateurish. The great thing about Autopsy is how they use different logos for almost all their albums.
The harder question is: Severed Survival or Mental Funeral?

Lol...Severed for now. It's the only Autopsy album I own. MF is on my to buy list. I don't remember why, but SS seemed like the more recommended starting point.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Lol...Severed for now. It's the only Autopsy album I own. MF is on my to buy list. I don't remember why, but SS seemed like the more recommended starting point.

Severed Survival is an absolute classic that helps lay the foundation for death metal. Every single fucking song. Mental Funeral is on a whole other level. It's a putrid, filthy, slimy, dirty hallucination. It just oozes with atmosphere.

Here's a video of them rehearsing Ridden With Disease with a little kid standing next to the drum set haha.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Severed Survival is an absolute classic that helps lay the foundation for death metal. Every single fucking song. Mental Funeral is on a whole other level. It's a putrid, filthy, slimy, dirty hallucination. It just oozes with atmosphere.

Here's a video of them rehearsing Ridden With Disease with a little kid standing next to the drum set haha.

Awesome video. I love these old school rehearsal stuff. This Morbid Angel one is great too.

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017

Lol, that isn't just a kid. I expected maybe a ten year old but that looks more like big bro got stuck babysitting a four year old.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Awesome video. I love these old school rehearsal stuff. This Morbid Angel one is great too.

Yea man, I used to watch these all the time. There's another one of just Pete Sandoval rehearsing at insane speeds. I wish someone would produce a short video of the Tampa storage rehearsal spaces. Nocturnus and Iced Earth used that space, Obituary and Decide might have been too.

Megadeth doing a soundcheck for Five Magics. Friedman plays so damn clean :X

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Song of the day

So I finally listened to Spiritual Black Dimensions and it's a pretty good album! But this song in particular is pure awesomeness. That intro is something else.

Wait... I just realized I totally poached somebody's Song of the Day... Man, starting a vacation trip in the middle of week and being legendarily tired made me think it was saturday. And it only took me a day to realize... I am not a smart man.

Anyway, if I ruined anyone's plans, please take next Saturday. I'll double check the day from now on. :D

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Song of the Day

Black Sabbath - Sins of The Father

Really underrated album, it does not compare to Priest and their 90s masterpiece, but I rather like Dio back in for this performance, not often talked about this album it was one of the very first heavy metal album I remember my dad playing when I was little.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Song of the day

Brutality - Race Defects

I first came across this song on the Nuclear Blast Death is Just the Beginning 3 compilation and it absolutely blew me away with its combination of aggressive and melodic music and the amazing vocals.

It almost epitomises everything that made 90s Florida death metal such a force.

Unfortunately, as much as I tried to get into their music, this was the only song of theirs that I ever liked.

Enjoy

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Song of the day

Brutality - Race Defects

I first came across this song on the Nuclear Blast Death is Just the Beginning 3 compilation and it absolutely blew me away with its combination of aggressive and melodic music and the amazing vocals.

It almost epitomises everything that made 90s Florida death metal such a force.

Unfortunately, as much as I tried to get into their music, this was the only song of theirs that I ever liked.

Enjoy

First two albums were really great. Great technicality with actual melodies, hooks, and songwriting abilities. Very underrated band IMO.
I too first heard them on the Death is Just the Beginning 2 comp. Killer demo song:

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
New Khemmis really jams -- not really much hard doomy riffs anymore but the sweet melodies are still there, in abundance!
Improved clean vocals -- more harsh vocals. Good release... Not sure it will top Hunted but i'm really enjoying it after a couple listens.

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying this new Marduk. Their not a band I'm familiar with aside from name. The drums are pretty interesting.

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
My Nuclear Blast order showed up. Finally own Enki from Melechesh, a bunch of Blind Guardian, some Municipal Waste, and a bunch of other stuff from Amorphis, Immolation, Ghostbath, Destruction, Enforcer, and whatever else caught my eye on that sale. They do the goddamn sticker on the spine though so tearing that off in pieces for each got annoying fast. I absolutely despise those stickers. I wish labels would offer sticker free discs on mail orders. Their a pain in the ass and leave sticky goo on the case more often than not. Ok...I'll quit complaining about it now...

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
My Nuclear Blast order showed up. Finally own Enki from Melechesh, a bunch of Blind Guardian, some Municipal Waste, and a bunch of other stuff from Amorphis, Immolation, Ghostbath, Destruction, Enforcer, and whatever else caught my eye on that sale. They do the goddamn sticker on the spine though so tearing that off in pieces for each got annoying fast. I absolutely despise those stickers. I wish labels would offer sticker free discs on mail orders. Their a pain in the ass and leave sticky goo on the case more often than not. Ok...I'll quit complaining about it now...

Goo Gone bro. Removed many a price tag from my CDs with that stuff.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Khemmis' new album is good but they've done the same thing Pallbearer did with Heartless where both bands really dialed down their heavy doom riffs relative to each's first two great albums.

Both Heartless and Desolation are solid albums, don't get me wrong, just a bit of an observation. I suppose Khemmis didn't dial it as much back as Pallbearer did, but there's definitely a lesser oomph to their riffs with the latest album.

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I got today was Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini. I popped it on to do some dishes and am now laying on the couch just enjoying this. Lol, I can't turn it off. Which I also have Frost and RIITIIR and have the same problem with those as well. Love their style.