• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Any Demilich fans here?

I just did a cover of my favourite song of theirs, appreciate any feedback!

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
That Slayer show was definitely worth it! Smooth ride down. Got there in time to buy shit, store shit in car, and pull up some grass out on the lawn. Was a gorgeous 90 degree day but not too sunny that I got burnt. Napalm Death was pretty much what I expected and that is a wall of noise lol. They were good though. Testament was Testament. I enjoy their technical playing, but they just don't have the catchy tunes man. I saw them at the same venue way back in like 1993 with Maiden and they sure haven't changed. One or two new songs, but I tuned those out when a friend of mine showed up and we started chatting. Anthrax was really good. I expected more new tunes from them, but I think their entire set was old school thrash classics with like one song I didn't recognize. Lamb of God...should not have been on this tour. Their music just did not fit. I'd have much rather seen Exodus or some other band from back in the day. The sound was really good, but their music continues to be hit or miss for me. Then there is Slayer. I mean they just killed it. The set list was really varied and they played a few b side songs I wasn't expecting. Their stage show was killer. I hadn't watched anything from other shows. Wanted to go in blind and I was happy I did. Got a shirt and poster for way too much, but who cares. Had a great night!

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Oh yeah, got probably one of the last tickets for Slayer (at the end of November!). I will be on the stand, but screw it, this was a really really close call.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
So my band premiered a new video last night and I wanted to share it with you all. Pretty proud of this one. We got permission to record on the roof of the Palladium in Worcester, MA, who host the New England Metal Fest every year, which is pretty awesome in itself. It was a royal pain in the ass to lug our gear to the top of a building (No elevator!!!!) but the end result made it well worth it. Enjoy. Give us a like on stupid bookface if you're into it. :P \m/

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
In anticipation of a new High on Fire album, and to ward off the summer heat, let's get some Frost Hammer up in this.

Song of the Day:

High on Fire - Frost Hammer

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of uncultured savages up in here... Just spun Souls again and it's still a master class in thrash.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Needs more BPMs! Love the album in your avatar BTW. I love early motorhead/venom influenced thrash.

Just enough advancement from their speed debut whilst having the grit and attitude that made ealry thrash so great, a perfect culmination, a definitive masterpiece.

Blackened speed bands now try to capture that venom sound, some do it well, other just end up sounding the same.

Urn is one of my favorites

Witchtrap too

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

This band continues to be on point. I think they're my strongest contender for AotY so far along with Untamed Land's debut, though of course we'll have to see what the full album is like.

Eh, no thanks. Those album titles and lyrics are comedy gold, but the music is, sadly, irredeemable garbage. :(

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Just enough advancement from their speed debut whilst having the grit and attitude that made ealry thrash so great, a perfect culmination, a definitive masterpiece
Yup huge improvement over the debut, love Violent Restitution too. Album is savage especially for the time, only Sadus's Illusions exceeds it in terms of intensity imo.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Yup huge improvement over the debut, love Violent Restitution too. Album is savage especially for the time, only Sadus's Illusions exceeds it in terms of intensity imo.

Violent Restitution ends up sounding similar far too often for my liking, still brilliant and I have it third in my favorite Razor albums. In terms of intensity, it is up there for sure though I'd rank quite a few over it.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Violent Restitution ends up sounding similar far too often for my liking, still brilliant and I have it third in my favorite Razor albums. In terms of intensity, it is up there for sure though I'd rank quite a few over it.
Poor wording on my part, I meant for 1988. For the most intense thrash overall I don't think anyone has ever topped Demolition Hammer's Epidemic of Violence. I break out in sweats everytime I put that puppy on haha.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Poor wording on my part, I meant for 1988. For the most intense thrash overall I don't think anyone has ever topped Demolition Hammer's Epidemic of Violence. I break out in sweats everytime I put that puppy on haha.

Yeah I misread what you said haha. Even for 88 you have full lengths examples like:

Protector - Golem
Armoros - Pieces
Explicit Hate - A View from Another Side
Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum
Num Skull - Ritually Abused

and some insane demos I can share, 87 had some demons as well

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah I misread what you said haha. Even for 88 you have full lengths examples like:

Protector - Golem
Armoros - Pieces
Explicit Hate - A View from Another Side
Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum
Num Skull - Ritually Abused

and some insane demos I can share, 87 had some demons as well
Ahh Malleus Maleficarum, I have a t shirt of that one! I do prefer Consuming Impulse though which is of course more DM. Deathrow's Deception ignored is another banger from that year, though the vocals take away from the intensity a little bit.

Protector are savage! I'll have to check out Armoros.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh Malleus Maleficarum, I have a t shirt of that one! I do prefer Consuming Impulse though which is of course more DM. Deathrow's Deception ignored is another banger from that year, though the vocals take away from the intensity a little bit.

Protector are savage! I'll have to check out Armoros.

Deception Ignored is a masterpiece of prog/thrash.

Explicit Hate is possibly the most underrated band from Brazil during the classic era, that album is everything you want from a death/thrash release, fucking brilliant.

Armoros have a Comp available, though the cd quality is not very good. One of the unheralded hard ot find thrash of the 80s-90s that collectors and maniacs like me discuss for years and finally get a re-release.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Deception Ignored is a masterpiece of prog/thrash.

Explicit Hate is possibly the most underrated band from Brazil during the classic era, that album is everything you want from a death/thrash release, fucking brilliant.

Armoros have a Comp available, though the cd quality is not very good. One of the unheralded hard ot find thrash of the 80s-90s that collectors and maniacs like me discuss for years and finally get a re-release.

Wow that was very good! Reminds me a lot of early Dark Angel, will purchase that comp.

Speaking of prog/thrash, are you a fan of Victims of Deception by Heathen?

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that was very good! Reminds me a lot of early Dark Angel, will purchase that comp.

Speaking of prog/thrash, are you a fan of Victims of Deception by Heathen?

Prog/thrash is my favorite form of thrash metal, wore my Victims of Deception shirt to the Hatchet/Exmortus show last month haha.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Prog/thrash is my favorite form of thrash metal, wore my Victims of Deception shirt to the Hatchet/Exmortus show last month haha.
Haha mine too! I also have that shirt :D I'm also a big fan of Believer, they're Christian thrash metal which put me off a little at first haha but they have some of the weirdest thrash riffs ever. Tourniquet are another sick Christian thrash band.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Haha mine too! I also have that shirt :D I'm also a big fan of Believer, they're Christian thrash metal which put me off a little at first haha but they have some of the weirdest thrash riffs ever. Tourniquet are another sick Christian thrash band.

Christian thrash is funny as there really is not much christian about them haha, if you like Tourniquet check out Detritus from the UK, some good examples of Christian thrash there worth looking into

What do you think of Anacrusis?

You know what I think about them without me even having to say it (only people who dont like them have never heard them), think we had a discussion about them on Gaf when discussing early prog metal. Kenn Nardi is one of the most amazing musicians thrash has been graced with.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You know what I think about them without me even having to say it (only people who dont like them have never heard them), think we had a discussion about them on Gaf when discussing early prog metal. Kenn Nardi is one of the most amazing musicians thrash has been graced with.
Haha to be honest I just forgot all about that. Cheers.

Manic Impressions is one of the best thrash records ever!
Personally I find it weaker than Suffering Hour and Screams and Whispers, but it's still decent.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

Personally I find it weaker than Suffering Hour and Screams and Whispers, but it's still decent.
I know Screams is their most revered, but manic has an atmosphere to it that I've not heard anywhere else, the guitars sound like absolute shit but I just love the mood of the record, especially the slower tracks like What You Became and Explained Away.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

Going to agree with you here on Suffering Hour, is up there with the best debuts. It is really a toss up for me between Screams and Whispers vs Manic Impressions, have not listened to them back to back in a while, like them both equally

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day
Here's an easy tune to pick. This is arguably the best song on this album. There are some good face melting solos to be had and just a cool groove over all. Put your hate aside my friends and thrust those horns up for some Testament. Off Souls of Black, were jamming the Face in the Sky today!

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Song of the Day
Here's an easy tune to pick. This is arguably the best song on this album. There are some good face melting solos to be had and just a cool groove over all. Put your hate aside my friends and thrust those horns up for some Testament. Off Souls of Black, were jamming the Face in the Sky today!

tenor.gif

Does have a nice solo

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Malpractice solo is one of my favorites from Skolnick. Honestly this album as a whole grew on me a lot after initially being off put mostly by the production.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Song of the Day

The problem with Testament was that they always sounded like a b-version of Metallica/Megadeth.

I gave then repeated chances, but nothing they did ever impressed me until Low. I think having John Tempesta and James Murphy on board just made their sound appeal to me much more.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I know some people who only like The Gathering by Testament. *shrugs*

Song of the Day

Forbidden (CA) - Infinite

moving into bay area thrash generally speaking, in some ways it's fair to say everyone was chasing Metallica, but that scene definitely developed this subtly progressive riff writing style that's just amazing. This album in particular was maybe the first album I heard in the thrash realm that made me think hey there's something kinda different going on here. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it, especially after the self-titled, but nowadays I think I'd take Twisted into Form. It's well thought out yet isn't explicitly technical without sacrificing any sort of intensity.

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Did not know Bostaph came from Forbidden. Guess I never really looked at his career. Also see he's on Shovel Headed Kill Machine which is one of my favorite Exodus albums. Listening to Twisted into Form now and I can see why he ended up in Slayer.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I know some people who only like The Gathering by Testament. *shrugs*

Song of the Day

Forbidden (CA) - Infinite

moving into bay area thrash generally speaking, in some ways it's fair to say everyone was chasing Metallica, but that scene definitely developed this subtly progressive riff writing style that's just amazing. This album in particular was maybe the first album I heard in the thrash realm that made me think hey there's something kinda different going on here. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it, especially after the self-titled, but nowadays I think I'd take Twisted into Form. It's well thought out yet isn't explicitly technical without sacrificing any sort of intensity.

RIP Tim Calvert. One hell of a talent.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I like the early Testament albums, but yeah my favorite is The Gathering and Low. Those two don't sound like Metallica and Megadeth to me.

And Testament is putting out better albums than those two

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I like the early Testament albums, but yeah my favorite is The Gathering and Low. Those two don't sound like Metallica and Megadeth to me.

And Testament is putting out better albums than those two

Low trails off towards the end but those first five tracks are so fucking good, should have been 8 tracks instead of 12

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
All this talk about Souls of Black...Face in the Sky and Malpractice are the only good songs on that album. Malpractice having the crazy Skolnick solo. That album, like The New Order, has a weird recording with almost no low end.
As with all Testament albums, the best part is always Louie Clemente's hair.

tumblr_okoq696Sy01trefjio1_500.jpg