• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
You know who really doesn't get the run that they deserve- Nokturnal Mortum. Their stuff over the past 10-15 years has been unreal. Peerless stuff. Progressive, pagan, black, symphonic... they weave in and out of and incorporate various styles like very few bands can, and maybe none in this particular overall style. They're unique.
That set of albums right there are just too good. Voice of Steel and Verity being on another level than their previous stuff, but all of the things that make new Nokturnal Mortum so incredible today are still there all the way back in 2004, even earlier in some cases. Essential band, and if you haven't gotten into them yet and like progressive black metal or folk metal, this is about the best new music you could find.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
It's been too long since I listened to Hammers of Misfortune, so let's fix that.

Song of the Day:

Hammers of Misfortune - Dead Revolution

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Damn, this is tragic.

I have issues with my mental health, but fortunately I can keep them in bay without medication (for now). And seeing how widespread this issues / illnesses are, it is pretty damned weird that is still considered a stigma to talk openly about it. Probably due to a reason that mental health services are still stuck in 80s around here...

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
You know who really doesn't get the run that they deserve- Nokturnal Mortum. Their stuff over the past 10-15 years has been unreal. Peerless stuff. Progressive, pagan, black, symphonic... they weave in and out of and incorporate various styles like very few bands can, and maybe none in this particular overall style. They're unique.
That set of albums right there are just too good. Voice of Steel and Verity being on another level than their previous stuff, but all of the things that make new Nokturnal Mortum so incredible today are still there all the way back in 2004, even earlier in some cases. Essential band, and if you haven't gotten into them yet and like progressive black metal or folk metal, this is about the best new music you could find.

I listened to Nokturnal Mortum until 1999, it was mostly crap back then with some interesting songs in the midle i'll admit.
Are you saying they are a legit band worth listening now?
Im listening to new Chaos Invocation and it's pretty good, im gonna check this records you recommended and i'll pissed if they suck cause i still have some 2018 releases to catch up! :P

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I listened to Nokturnal Mortum until 1999, it was mostly crap back then with some interesting songs in the midle i'll admit.
Im listening to new Chaos Invocation and it's pretty good, im gonna check this records you recommended and i'll pissed if they suck cause i still have some 2018 releases to catch up! :P

I like them quite a bit musically (not lyrically at all), and honestly they only had one album that was really bad and that was the one released in 1999. Looking at reviews on metallum all of their albums are above an 80% other than the 1999 one.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land

The Voice of Steel and Verity are as legit as it gets. I am constantly looking for new music and listening to new albums, and when I go back to Voice of Steel and more recently Verity it's like everything else I've listened to since is not as good.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, Michael Amott was apparently a co-writer in both of these songs, and I'd say that it shows. These two songs both have a very similar riff =D

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Song on the day

Some old Helloween for you fine folk. The lyrics are pure gold, hence the lyrics video. Great song though, just beware the dwarves of falseness.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
2018 albums I love so far:

- Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology
- Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name
- Sleep - The Sciences
- Tribulation - Down Below
- YOB - Our Raw Heart

What else would you guys recommend? I'm mostly into doom/stoner/thrash but I'm open to anything. I've never listened to much Judas Priest but I hear their new album is really good so I'm going to give that a shot.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017

- Sleep - The Sciences
- YOB - Our Raw Heart

What else would you guys recommend? I'm mostly into doom/stoner/thrash but I'm open to anything. I've never listened to much Judas Priest but I hear their new album is really good so I'm going to give that a shot.
If you haven't heard it yet, you might wanna check out the new Bongripper:

There's also that new split between Slomatics and Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard:

Slomatics' previous album (Future Echo returns) still is one of my favourites in recent years.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Kill Everything's debut full length is out

https://comatosemusic.bandcamp.com/album/scorched-earth

OG Devourment guitars Brian Wynn and bassist turned vocalist Mike Majewski on vocals

I didn't like his vocals in Devourment and I don't like them here but whatever. The clear delivery of profoundly dumb lyrics is a turnoff. If you like slam maybe you'll dig it

Let's see if Actual Devourment can get their album out and compare....

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day
Today's tune is from Exalter out of Bangladesh. This is World Under Curfew from their Persecution Automated album which I thought was a 2018 release, but looking back, it was from last year. I guess I'm just thinking about when I got it. Anyway, this is some fast and angry music which is my jam. Enjoy!

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Kill Everything's debut full length is out

https://comatosemusic.bandcamp.com/album/scorched-earth

OG Devourment guitars Brian Wynn and bassist turned vocalist Mike Majewski on vocals

I didn't like his vocals in Devourment and I don't like them here but whatever. The clear delivery of profoundly dumb lyrics is a turnoff. If you like slam maybe you'll dig it

Let's see if Actual Devourment can get their album out and compare....
this literally sounds like Ross Dolan lol. Talk about a slam sermon.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day

Devangelic (ITA) - Plagued by Obscurity

some of the most on point Disgorge worship you will ever hear. Absolutely meticulous. Both albums are killer and among the best things ever released by Comatose.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Discovered Violent Cold today, a one man group from Azerbaijan. Post-black metal with a heavy lean on the post-rock elements. Loving it. There's some very "spacey" vibes there that straight up reminds me of 65secondsofstatic at times.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

- Sleep - The Sciences
- YOB - Our Raw Heart

Have you heard the new Deströyer 666 EP? Call of the Wild, out since February.
Satan - Cruel Magic isn't out yet, but what we heard so far was solid, I expect it to make my AOTY list.

Maybe not your style, but Untamed Land - Between the Winds is stellar and probably my AOTY so far. Possibly better than Summoning's new album too, as sacrilegious as this may seem. (I forgot who here recommended it, but thank you again!) There's also the new Master Boot Record, not sure how I feel about it though.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
So, Michael Amott was apparently a co-writer in both of these songs, and I'd say that it shows. These two songs both have a very similar riff =D

Yea no surprise there. I always felt Amott was just an average guitarist and contributor to Carcass, his technique shows. Dark Recollections will forever be a Swedish death metal classic.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Satan - Cruel Magic isn't out yet, but what we heard so far was solid, I expect it to make my AOTY list.

Maybe not your style, but Untamed Land - Between the Winds is stellar and probably my AOTY so far. Possibly better than Summoning's new album too, as sacrilegious as this may seem. (I forgot who here recommended it, but thank you again!) There's also the new Master Boot Record, not sure how I feel about it though.

I'm going to listen more at work tomorrow, but I like Deströyer immediately, thanks for that. From listening to Untamed Land for a while that may be bit too... busy for my tastes but I have only listened to one song.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

- Sleep - The Sciences
- YOB - Our Raw Heart

That Slugdge album is so good. Goddamn.

Another one I like a lot: Skeletonwitch - Devouring Radiant Light.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017

- Sleep - The Sciences
- YOB - Our Raw Heart

Rivers of Nihil is so good. Love that album.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day

Rebel Wizard - The Prophecy Came and it was Soaked with the Common Fools Forboding

I posted some stuff from Rebel Wizard a few pages back but wanted to post them again since their new album is out and it is killer. Psychadelic Black Metal with a NWOBHM flair. It just scratches an itch for me and I love it. The production is a bit more listenable on this one than some of their older stuff which is hit or miss.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017

- Sleep - The Sciences
- YOB - Our Raw Heart

I am real begin behind in metal these days but I heard that Tribulation album and thought it was pretty cool.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day

Rebel Wizard - The Prophecy Came and it was Soaked with the Common Fools Forboding

I posted some stuff from Rebel Wizard a few pages back but wanted to post them again since their new album is out and it is killer. Psychadelic Black Metal with a NWOBHM flair. It just scratches an itch for me and I love it. The production is a bit more listenable on this one than some of their older stuff which is hit or miss.

vocals I gotta say are pushing it slightly, even as a mutual Leviathan fan, but the music is excellent.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
New Benighted coming in hot:

Sounds excellent as always.

Some 2018 albums I'm loving:
Michael Romeo - War of the Worlds / Pt. 1
Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins
Barren Earth - A Complex of Cages
Amorphis - Queen of Time
Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy
Thy Catafalque - Geometria
Ihsahn - Àmr
Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods

a lot going on in that list but I think the real "must listens" are Barren Earth (nice and doomy), Alkaloid (catchy tech-death), and Ihsahn (prog metal with an edge)

Last edited:

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
New pickups this week

Innumerable Forms - Punishment In Flesh said:
a4285624708_10.jpg
https://innumerableforms.bandcamp.com/album/punishment-in-flesh

Convulsing - Grievous said:
https://convulsing.bandcamp.com/album/grievous

Mylingar - Döda Drömmar said:

https://mylingar.bandcamp.com/album/d-da-dr-mmar

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
New band Automb, Scott Fuller from current Morbid Angel on drums and Serge Streltsov from Necrophagia on guitars. Danielle Evans as vocalist/bass/keyboard.

No entry yet on M-A.

http://satanath.com/news/item/automb

American AUTOMB (ah-tomb) formed in 2018. Automb is female-fronted black metal band that blends death metal elements seamlessly with classic black metal and atmospheric tones. Debut album 'Esoterica' features Serge Streltsov from NECROPHAGIA, Scott Fuller from MORBID ANGEL and beautiful lady-vocalist Danielle Evans. It features bone-crushing blast beats, soul wrenching growls, punishing rhythms, and epic atmospheric leads. Dedicated to Frank «Killjoy» Pucci (R.I.P.) from Necrophagia. For fans of BEHEMOTH, WATAIN, EMPEROR, DRUDKH, VADER, MORBID ANGEL, MAYHEM. Artwork by Vojtech Doubek from Moonroot Art.

I like what I have heard so far.

Last edited:

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Who doesn't like dogs, and what dog doesn't like socks?

Song of the Dog:

Psychostick - Dogs Like Socks

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If you haven't heard it yet, you might wanna check out the new Bongripper:

There's also that new split between Slomatics and Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard:

Slomatics' previous album (Future Echo returns) still is one of my favourites in recent years.

The former didn't do that much for me, but the latter (Slomatics) I felt was great. Thanks for the tip. Appreciate the list Zelenogorsk

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day
Sunday again already? The week flew by. I was jamming some Entombed the other day during my workout and this song caught my ear. So today is Rotten Soil from Wolverine Blues. There are some good riffs here and a kind of jam session in the middle that I particularly liked. Plus it gets catchy towards the end.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

dunno if its your msuic but damn i wish warpath was still around, there solos and guitars are crazy cxool

the solo is so fucking sesual

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Guys, if you haven't already, check Alien Weaponry from New Zealand. Metal meets Maori language.

I saw them live at Metaldays and they were amazing (especially if you check their age) and probably had the biggest crowd on 2nd stage. As I heard, they will return next year and they will get a spot on a main stage.

Last edited: