• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Song of the day

Diabolos Rising - Satanas lead us through

After last week's Necromantia song, I promised some more 90s Greek black metal, so this week I present to you some more genius from Magus Wampyr Daoloth - DIABOLOS RISING!!!

For Diabolos Rising, our intrepid lord of evil enlisted Impaled Nazarene vocalist/madman Mika Luttinen and dived head first into a kind of strange electronic/industrial black metal weirdness.

They made two albums under the name Diabolos Rising and then changed their name to RAISM and released a third. The first two are excellent, the third not so much.

Other standout tracks include:
Hope you all enjoy it!

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Please don't shoot me for this question but...

is thrascore a thing? I just youtubed it. Going to see what there is to see, but if anyone has any recs, I'm all ears.

I like saying thrashcore. It sounds cool.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Please don't shoot me for this question but...

is thrascore a thing? I just youtubed it. Going to see what there is to see, but if anyone has any recs, I'm all ears.

I like saying thrashcore. It sounds cool.

thrashcore should not be confused with crossover thrash, nor thrash derivatives. Just another hardcore variant that evolved by bands into more crossover and thrash like Cryptic Slaughter and Leeway, DRI, ect..

thrash in name only.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day:

Illdisposed - Dark

Here is a little ditty from some local boys. This was pretty much the very first death metal I heard.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to get into Voivod (both older and newer stuff) so many times and it just ain't happening. I should give up.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Do you like other prog thrash bands?

I love prog. I like most thrash. The combination seems like it'd be awesome, but I'm not sure I know many other prog thrash bands or albums. Closest I would consider something like that would be Metallica's And Justice for All.

Voivod has been described as prog thrash to me over and over and that's why I keep trying but it does not sound anything like I'd ever describe as prog thrash. It's so monotonous.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I love prog. I like most thrash. The combination seems like it'd be awesome, but I'm not sure I know many other prog thrash bands or albums. Closest I would consider something like that would be Metallica's And Justice for All.

Voivod has been described as prog thrash to me over and over and that's why I keep trying but it does not sound anything like I'd ever describe as prog thrash. It's so monotonous.

Give "Deathrow - Deception Ignored" a shot

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so hype for this new Architects album.

Holy Hell out November 9th.

After hearing Hereafter and Doomsday, I think they way forward is looking great for them after the untimely death of Tom.

It's still heart-wrenching to go back and listen to the previous album. Tom wrote about his forthcoming demise and the acceptance of his fate. It's crazy that he kept pushing forward to write music even with death knocking at his door. Doomsday and Hereafter seem to be the band's way of telling their story of moving forward with what happened.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
I'd never heard of Brainstorm before today, but I very much appreciate their heavy-metal-ass-metal:

Brainstorm - Ravenous Minds

And I had all but forgotten about Walking Corpse Syndrome since their album in 2015, but they are releasing new stuff, which I'm happy about.

Walking Corpse Syndrome - Wolf in the Nursery

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I just bought my countries edition of Metal Hammer for September, and I remembered how I first started learning about new bands. Call me an old fogey for 25yo, but there is something easier, concise and comfier about reading reviews for a select amount of albums every month that may catch your interest instead of combing the vast wealth of info that is the net to hear new shit. Not to mention the interviews. I need to get back into this habit.

Oh good god fucking yes, this is my jam. Cirith Ungol is one of the few bands I have the entire discography ripped and uploaded onto my phone. Gonna have a listen and come back with impressions.

Song of the Day:

I know you guys probably don't like the more romantic ballad stuff, but I ran into an Ex the other day, this song came up on my shuffle list, and I after 24H I am still feeling it. A perfect musical representation of how I felt for her.

Edit:
Okay, I need a new Cirith Ungol Album like yesterday. The track was amazing. Their drum game is still on point, I also held them as the highest standard of drum playing and some of their cymbal usage is insane, the vocalist has a much more mature voice that has evolved their iconic sound into an entirely different beast, and the second half just rips into a high octane free for all. This is like W.A.S.P Golgotha if we hadn't gotten new albums since the 80s.

Last edited:

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
New Pig Destroyer and Aborted albums are fucking sick! Hidious Divinity's bassist is playing on the new Aborted album and his bass sounds great. Pig Destroyer also has a fulltime bassist for their new album and it really helps fill out their sound. Great albums even if you aren't a bassist like me!

Hot damn this is sick. NSE is pretty much my favorite label right now.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day

Mithras (GBR) - Dreaming in Splendour

this is still one of the coolest death metal bands in existence, and they deserve more recognition. Taking Morbid Angel fundamentals and making their own uniquely twisted brand of death metal. Honestly everything they've done is tight, but the first LP in particular has a lot of nostalgic value for me. I was simply blown away by the over the top execution and the dynamics created by the more low key and ambient sections.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Song of the Day

Mithras (GBR) - Dreaming in Splendour

this is still one of the coolest death metal bands in existence, and they deserve more recognition. Taking Morbid Angel fundamentals and making their own uniquely twisted brand of death metal. Honestly everything they've done is tight, but the first LP in particular has a lot of nostalgic value for me. I was simply blown away by the over the top execution and the dynamics created by the more low key and ambient sections.

Mithras is good metal, but always just makes me want to listen to Morbid Angel's Covenant.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Mithras is good metal, but always just makes me want to listen to Morbid Angel's Covenant.
I personally feel Mithras draws more specifically from the Gateways and Heretic sounds, but your point still stands, they got the patents lol. Still, I feel that in the discussion of bands who are coming from the school of Morbid Angel, Mithras are certainly one of the best and I enjoy them on their own merits.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I personally feel Mithras draws more specifically from the Gateways and Heretic sounds, but your point still stands, they got the patents lol. Still, I feel that in the discussion of bands who are coming from the school of Morbid Angel, Mithras are certainly one of the best and I enjoy them on their own merits.
I pretty much tuned out of Morbid after Domination. Formulas and Gateways just didn't do much for me.

Mithras on the other hand sort of came into prominence as I was moving away from straight death metal in general, so my exposure to them was never too deep.

I think that means I need to do a Mithras listen-through.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I pretty much tuned out of Morbid after Domination. Formulas and Gateways just didn't do much for me.

Mithras on the other hand sort of came into prominence as I was moving away from straight death metal in general, so my exposure to them was never too deep.

I think that means I need to do a Mithras listen-through.
Domination actually soured me on Morbid Angel a little bit, and I never got into Tucker MA until like the late '00s. It's definitely a shift, but I love F through H. Mithras has a lot in common with this era of MA generally speaking but they do a lot of little things to stand on their own as I mentioned. If you weren't too fond of F and G then maybe you can try Mithras in reverse order. On Strange Loops was one of my most anticipated albums for a long time and it didn't disappoint at all.

https://mithrasuk.bandcamp.com/music

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Time to cancel your plans for the next 45 minutes. Horrendous has just made their newest album "Idol" available for streaming here:

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never heard of Brainstorm before today, but I very much appreciate their heavy-metal-ass-metal:

Brainstorm - Ravenous Minds

I'm sure I checked out Brainstorm ages ago, but I can't remember so I guess something didn't click, but I dig this track. Guess I'll have to check out the new album this friday, and dig into the older albums again. If you haven't heard, check out Dynazty as well, since they have a new album coming out this friday too, similar sounding heavy metal that really rips.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Mithras fucking rules. Newest album is a little too sterile sounding, but still awesome.

Also looking forward to the new Horrendous album. The songs they've been sampling the past few weeks have been killer.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I'm trying to find a band I heard a year or so ago but I can't remember their name. I've tried searching youtube and bandcamp.

I think their name is something like Neven or Nevin, they're an instrumental prog metal band with a sound similar to GCD era Katatonia. Anyone remember a band like that with a name similar to that?

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Song of the day

Septic Flesh - Return to Carthage

Some more Greek metal for you all today.

I am sure most of you are familiar with the mighty Septic Flesh, but I just wanted to share the song that got me into them way back in 1994.

This song appeared on Death...is just the Beginning III, which is probably the second best death metal compilation ever (just behind Death...is just the Beginning IV), and it blew me away.

The way it combines absolutely brutal death metal with the esoteric doomy stuff was just awesome and quite unique at the time. I actually think they lost something when they went full symphonic death metal, but their first four albums before they had their break are just pure gold to me.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Energetic Dissemblance or Control and Resistance?

I think the latter has been instrumentation, but the vocals on the first album are much better and much less noticeable.

I'm kind of hoping that the next Watchtower album eliminates vocals. Vocals for both albums are simply too distracting.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Control and Resistance by far. Alan Techio's vocals are love it or hate it, similar to Sean Killian of Vio-Lence. Personally I love it.
If you want Watchtower without vocals, then Spastic Ink's first album might be the closest thing.