• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at your avatar, are going to see Steven Wilson at the Starland Ballroom in December?

Oh sorry I didn't mean that particular venue was close to me, just that the tour hits a venue that's actually close to me on February 21. Milwaukee!

I've seen Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree too many times to even count at this point.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Jelly. I really want to see them :(

I've been there for two DVD fillmings. I was there both nights in Chicago for Arriving Somewhere and then for Octane Twisted. Saw them quite a bit.

Steven Wilson is arguably just as good if not better live. The venues he's in are bigger now, so it's a bit less intimate. When I saw him with PT there were a few times I could literally reach out and slap the dude. With SW I've seen him in a few seated venues further back. Still good shit, though. Last time I saw him he played a few PT tunes so it felt like a throwback in a way.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Classy. Probably my favorite song from them too. I was already heavily into Iron Maiden when I first heard Helloween, but Kiske always just "did it for me" in ways that Dickinson never could. I'm not sure I would claim that he's better either though, since they are both equally outstanding to me. Add Geoff Tate in there as well and you have the triumvirate. The most amazing thing about Kiske and Dickinson too is that neither had any formal training.

edit: What's up with Youtube blocking many songs from being viewed directly from the forum?

New Ashes of Ares is coming out soon. I didn't particularly care for the debut album for various reasons, but this song at least gives hope that the songwriting and production has vastly improved. Also, I know it's likely just because it's Matt, but this song in particular makes me think a whole lot of The Dark Saga.

Last edited:

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Classy. Probably my favorite song from them too. I was already heavily into Iron Maiden when I first heard Helloween, but Kiske always just "did it for me" in ways that Dickinson never could. I'm not sure I would claim that he's better either though, since they are both equally outstanding to me. Add Geoff Tate in there as well and you have the triumvirate. The most amazing thing about Kiske and Dickinson too is that neither had any formal training.

edit: What's up with Youtube blocking many songs from being viewed directly from the forum?

New Ashes of Ares is coming out soon. I didn't particularly care for the debut album for various reasons, but this song at least gives hope that the songwriting and production has vastly improved. Also, I know it's likely just because it's Matt, but this song in particular makes me think a whole lot of The Dark Saga.

Ohh hey cool, I was just wondering the other day what happened to them.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Ok, so not sure if anyone remembers, but ages ago I asked everyone to recommend to me a non-metal album that they liked.

The idea was that I would listen to them and give feedback about what I thought. It was fun and I leaned to appreciate a few new artists.

Anyway, I'm keen to do something like that again, but I think this year I would like people to just recommend one song. That way I can give feedback much quicker.

So, go ahead, recommend a non-metal song to me that you think I might appreciate or you would like to share. Any genre is good and the further away from metal the better.

I'll start things off with John Mayer's Neon.

I love this song. It has a brilliant atmosphere and a mournful vibe that sits well with my love of doomy and atmospheric metal.

The main riff is great and shows off Mayer's chops as a guitarist. The man might be a class 1 wanker, but he can play guitar with the best.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Song of the day

Misery - Torn

Warning: This film clip is probably NSFW. Features real blood and guts...no, really, it does.

Today's serve of 90s Aussie death metal comes courtesy of a band from my hometown - Brisbane.

Misery were one of the first bands from Australia to actually get signed and put out decent music. This song is from their 1994 EP Insidious and it was good fun to see this live. I used to occasionally hang out in their practice room as a teenager. My friends and I would play at the same practice studios. It was a pretty small scene and everyone kinda knew everyone else.

The video is apparently directed by Neil Johnson who has directed videos for Manowar, Blind Guardian and U2.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So, did a bit of digging around my old 2TB hard drive and came across X-Japan's catalogue. Damn, these dudes have cranked out some fucking great tunes throughout their career. Shame that their streak of albums kinda stopped 22 years ago with just a small smattering of singles dotted around here and there.

I.V - "Literally the only good thing to come out of Saw 4" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyoxuhX-dQ
Jade - "Main chorus is infectious as fuck, some great drumming in there too!" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e10d5x8RxsI
Art Of Life - "30 Minutes long and easily my favourite track by them!" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eqmkgSeYjI

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
So, did a bit of digging around my old 2TB hard drive and came across X-Japan's catalogue. Damn, these dudes have cranked out some fucking great tunes throughout their career. Shame that their streak of albums kinda stopped 22 years ago with just a small smattering of singles dotted around here and there.

I.V - "Literally the only good thing to come out of Saw 4" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyoxuhX-dQ
Jade - "Main chorus is infectious as fuck, some great drumming in there too!" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e10d5x8RxsI
Art Of Life - "30 Minutes long and easily my favourite track by them!" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eqmkgSeYjI
I love Art of Life. It was my jam during my college days.

Recently got into a band called Black Peaks. Their vocalist is in a league of his own and terrible lyrics aside, ALL THAT DIVIDES is a pretty great album.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so not sure if anyone remembers, but ages ago I asked everyone to recommend to me a non-metal album that they liked.

The idea was that I would listen to them and give feedback about what I thought. It was fun and I leaned to appreciate a few new artists.

Anyway, I'm keen to do something like that again, but I think this year I would like people to just recommend one song. That way I can give feedback much quicker.

So, go ahead, recommend a non-metal song to me that you think I might appreciate or you would like to share. Any genre is good and the further away from metal the better.

I'll start things off with John Mayer's Neon.

I love this song. It has a brilliant atmosphere and a mournful vibe that sits well with my love of doomy and atmospheric metal.

The main riff is great and shows off Mayer's chops as a guitarist. The man might be a class 1 wanker, but he can play guitar with the best.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017

Probably cheating. I don't really know. Good memories.
I once set a coffee shop on fire and watched it burn. This song always makes me remember that moment.
Don't worry, the owner was a fucker who had it coming and messed with the wrong guy...
...haaaa good times....

EDIT: also remembered this one.

Please keep it more metal tomorrow :)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember if I recommended anything last time, but... here goes:

dave-mustaine-jeff-young-e1516177673564.jpg

Nice song too.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Great chorus. Really liked it, but it needed a tempo change.

Damn! That was awesome. Definitely checking these guys out some more. If I could play guitar, I'd do a death/doom version of this song.

I probably post my most in the synthwave thread. This is from what will likely be my EP of the year.

Moonrunner83

That's good too. Can you post a link to this thread. Definitely want to check some more of this style out.

I can't remember if I recommended anything last time, but... here goes:
Loreena McKennitt
Pretty sure it was Sisters of Mercy you recommended last time. It got some playtime for a while.

Not the biggest fan of this one though. I like the dark mood and atmosphere, but I don't think the soprano vocals do much for me.

It's funny, Loreena McKennitt is a musician who I have probably known about my whole life, yet I've never heard her music. Thanks for sharing.

Nate Hall

Probably cheating. I don't really know. Good memories.
I once set a coffee shop on fire and watched it burn. This song always makes me remember that moment.
Don't worry, the owner was a fucker who had it coming and messed with the wrong guy...
...haaaa good times....

EDIT: also remembered this one.

Pinkyshinyultrablast

Please keep it more metal tomorrow :)

First song was fantastic, but WTF at that story? Like, you literally burned a coffee shop down?

Second song was...not good. Sorry.

If anyone else has something they want to suggest, please post it and I'll get to it today.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Pretty sure it was Sisters of Mercy you recommended last time. It got some playtime for a while.

Not the biggest fan of this one though. I like the dark mood and atmosphere, but I don't think the soprano vocals do much for me.

It's funny, Loreena McKennitt is a musician who I have probably known about my whole life, yet I've never heard her music. Thanks for sharing.
Ah, too bad, I loooove her voice. Best female vocalist in the world for me.

Since you liked Sisters, allow me to recommend what is possibly my favourite goth rock band: Star Industry. This is their most recognizable song, but they have plenty of great ones:

Yaaaas, great thread.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Ah, too bad, I loooove her voice. Best female vocalist in the world for me.

Since you liked Sisters, allow me to recommend what is possibly my favourite goth rock band: Star Industry. This is their most recognizable song, but they have plenty of great ones:

Now we're talking, this is great. Love the drumming, gives it a real urgency.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Ultha release isn't even one of my favourites from this year :p

I'm sure you've seen posts about Mare - Ebony Tower, it's a solid ritualistic piece of black metal.
And Craft - White Noise and Black Metal, I was really surprised by this return, 7 years since their last release that left a sour taste in my mouth, but this is a great return to form.
Anyway want i haven't seen recommended here is in fact one of my personal favourites of 2018.

Slidhr - The Futiles Fires of Man

And next is my son 2018 favourite too, who is 4 but loves this, it's a bit in the vein of Wolves in The Throne Room
(Illunis / ST)

Getting back to you a bit late but I really dig these too and appreciate the reccomendations!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
New live Opeth is interesting. I didn't get to watch it yet (since it's not delivered) but I listened on Spotify late last night. Mike's growls aren't what they used to be. I don't think they're bad, they just make the songs sound pretty different.

That said, I would have appreciated a setlist more dedicated to their last three albums. Partially because of the vocals and because that doesn't exist. We already have great live recordings of Deliverance and Demon of the Fall. Opeth actually somehow kicked the most ass on their Heritage tour and I fucking loved Pale Communion so I would have wanted more from those.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Goddamn, this new Daughters album is something else. I'm getting a ton Industrial-ish Deathspell Omega vibes from this thing, at least musically. I'm blown away by this album tbh

This fuckin song man...so good

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I definitely think this album's gonna be a bit of a grower for most people. We Are Nothing and especially Vintage have me gobsmacked right now.

Yeah, just finished listening. It's hard to classify, there's a bit of everything. Vocals remind of this mix of Ripper/Barlow (mainly Ripper), so there's a Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings thing going on. but with the heavy prog sound, with some Death vibes as well.

A grower, I think Vintage does go on just a little bit too long. My favourite track on first listen was Communion of the Wicked.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just finished listening. It's hard to classify, there's a bit of everything. Vocals remind of this mix of Ripper/Barlow (mainly Ripper), so there's a Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings thing going on. but with the heavy prog sound, with some Death vibes as well.

A grower, I think Vintage does go on just a little bit too long. My favourite track on first listen was Communion of the Wicked.

Yeah, Jake Dreyer definitely has a ton of Chuck Schuldiner in his guitar riffs. Vocally, I definitely hear the Ripper similarities, but I feel like Joseph typically sounds a bit more like Midnight from Crimson Glory. Funny enough, I also compared their first album, Nocturnes & Requiems, to Burnt Offerings-era Iced Earth. Definitely applicable here too, I think. I also think it feels like a cousin of sorts to Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black.

Communion of the Wicked is sick. LOVE the chorus on that one and one of the riffs sounds like it was made by Focus-era Cynic. I also really love the outro to Shadows too. But, proghead that I am, I think my two faves on the album are We Are Nothing and Vintage.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Jake Dreyer definitely has a ton of Chuck Schuldiner in his guitar riffs. Vocally, I definitely hear the Ripper similarities, but I feel like Joseph typically sounds a bit more like Midnight from Crimson Glory. Funny enough, I also compared their first album, Nocturnes & Requiems, to Burnt Offerings-era Iced Earth. Definitely applicable here too, I think. I also think it feels like a cousin of sorts to Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black.

Communion of the Wicked is sick. LOVE the chorus on that one and one of the riffs sounds like it was made by Focus-era Cynic. I also really love the outro to Shadows too. But, proghead that I am, I think my two faves on the album are We Are Nothing and Vintage.

Heh, yeah, I came close to dropping a Nevermore comparison. Good call on Midnight as well. Album will make a good winter listen, so will be something that really settles in over a long while I think.

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, yeah, I came close to dropping a Nevermore comparison. Good call on Midnight as well. Album will make a good winter listen, so will be something that really settles in over a long while I think.

I mean, Nevermore is basically the closest comparison to Witherfall I can think of for most metalheads. It's kind of inevitable to compare them. There's plenty of differences between them musically already, but Jake and Joseph seem like they fill the void that's been missing for a ton of Nevermore fans since the big split happened back in 2011. Makes sense seeing as how Joseph is now the lead singer for Sanctuary after Warrel died last year.

Midnight was such an underrated metal singer. One of the finest and there's not nearly enough material out there of his incredible voice.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Goddamn, this new Daughters album is something else. I'm getting a ton Industrial-ish Deathspell Omega vibes from this thing, at least musically. I'm blown away by this album tbh

The whole album is nuts, and I'm not usually one for noise rock. Flammable Man, The Reason They Hate Me and Guest House are kicking my ass in a good way.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

I heard good things about this and tried to listen to it but honestly it's one of the worst albums I've listened to all year. I'm not sure if it was the mood I was in when I tried to get through it (twice) or what, but it grinded my gears on a different level than most things. The guy's vocals are atrociously bad.

Oct 27, 2017
maybe you had to have heard the progression of his vocals from as the sun sets > daughters pre hell songs > daughters post hell songs to understand it, but I really like Alexis vocal style. With hell songs he started trying to match his vocals to the evolving style of the band and his persona. I know it's not an admirable feature, but during their hell songs tour he was kind of a scary drunken preacher kind of dude that would love interacting with the crowd and making them feel uncomfortable. It really fit the frantic style of the music itself.

as I mentioned before, hell songs was my absolute favorite era of the band. two guitarists using loop stations continually looping and layering their riffs, a great bassist that added a lot of character to the layering, and of course an aggressive drummer. It's refreshing to see them continually evolve with each release.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Got a nice surprise this morning from Amazon.

30747200797_1630b40a38_c.jpg

Mother North is truly the best black metal album of all time and I am the Bloody Earth is the best doom/death song ever written.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this looks fucking sick. I've seen some of his more recent live performances on Youtube, and he sounded great, but the only live footage that I personally owned was some crappy 90s VHS that looks almost bootleg. Probably going to get this.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
hi guys.
was wondering if anyone knew of any bands that had a sound similar to these two mastadon tracks -

they're definitely a bit more sludgy, maybe even doom-y, than mastadon's usual stuff, right?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
they're definitely a bit more sludgy, maybe even doom-y, than mastadon's usual stuff, right?

Yes, on top of being relatively radio friendly in catchiness and "simplicity". You could also toss "Dry Bone Valley" in there too.

Can't really think of any bands that have a style of those particular songs as their main sound, but there are plenty of bands that have similarities with Mastodon in general. High on Fire, Elder, New Keepers of the Water Towers and even Anciients to name a few.

Last edited: