• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
hi guys.
was wondering if anyone knew of any bands that had a sound similar to these two mastadon tracks -

they're definitely a bit more sludgy, maybe even doom-y, than mastadon's usual stuff, right?

You could try Year of the Goat

Not exactly the same sound, but in the same vein.

The Unspeakable is a phenomenal album and definitely worth a listen if you are into this style.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Yes, on top of being relatively radio friendly in catchiness and "simplicity". You could also toss "Dry Bone Valley" in there too.

Can't really think of any bands that have a style of those particular songs as their main sound, but there are plenty of bands that have similarities with Mastodon in general. High on Fire, Elder, New Keepers of the Water Towers and even Anciients to name a few.

You could try Year of the Goat

Not exactly the same sound, but in the same vein.

The Unspeakable is a phenomenal album and definitely worth a listen if you are into this style.

cheers for all these!

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
vrmlyRu.jpg

if this tour comes anywhere near you, consider checking it out. Two of of the strongest in occult black/death today. Will be at the Oakland date which will be supported by Dispirit, killer black metal featuring John Gossard, guitar/vox formerly of Weakling.

Irkallian Oracle (SWE)

Hellvetron (TX)

Dispirit (CA)

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day

Almost forgot to get a song up today. Let's do some Destroyer 666, its been too long since we've jammed something of theirs. So let's Unchain the Wolves.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
17 days till Slayer

I was quite surprised how awesome movie clips can Galaxy S8 do during concerts. Pictures are potato quality normally :P

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I saw Behemoth in Atlanta a couple weeks ago and it was real good.
Missed them last night. I had no tickets 'cause I learned about it at the last minute, and wasn't feeling it due to recent injuries and tiredness (not sure how I feel about their new album yet either). I hope I won't regret it, but I did enjoy them with Slayer last spring.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Missed them last night. I had no tickets 'cause I learned about it at the last minute, and wasn't feeling it due to recent injuries and tiredness (not sure how I feel about their new album yet either). I hope I won't regret it, but I did enjoy them with Slayer last spring.

The new stuff is pretty great live, but they played a set that covered the last few albums. Also Conquer All is amazing live still. They had At the Gates with them and they were great. I loved them so much in the 90's it was fun to see them live.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day

In celebration for their announced reunion (for one show only!) at Maryland Doom Fest in 2019, today's song of the day is Doom's Bride by Warhorse. If you are a fan of heady and heavy stoner doom ala Sleep, Conan, etc. you will probably like.

Warhorse - Doom's Bride

KMxbkei.jpg

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really digging the new ocean album. One of the few releases this year I may end up happy with haha

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
if this tour comes anywhere near you, consider checking it out. Two of of the strongest in occult black/death today. Will be at the Oakland date which will be supported by Dispirit, killer black metal featuring John Gossard, guitar/vox formerly of Weakling.

Dispirit (CA)

This is some sick shit. Love it. Just what I need for today. Had no idea he had a new band.

Edit:

Oh, it's my song of the day today I think. Sorry to all I have been neglecting this a bit. Work has been crazy busy and it has been slipping my mind.

Song of the Day:
Gehenna - A Myth...

Super underrated second wave black metal with GREAT synth usage. I really love this album and feel like it never gets talked about. A Myth is probably the catchiest song on the album. Overall the albums has a great mix of melodies and black metal aggression. Check it out if you like black metal and have never heard it before.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This album is so good. Not sure if I like it as much overall as the previous album yet, but so far the highs seem noticeably higher and the songs more memorable.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
This is some sick shit. Love it. Just what I need for today. Had no idea he had a new band.
absolutely. It was formed not long after the demise of Weakling with no concrete output for a decade, so the fact that it still exists today is amazing. The black metal component I feel has been getting much stronger and more prominent with each release, and at this point I think they are in the same territory as Arizmenda in a lot of ways since their last tape.

as for Gehenna, nice rec! Oddly enough that particular album of theirs was in my rotation pretty frequently when I was getting into black metal. I didn't start with all the classics straight up so to speak, so somehow it found its way to me. I was and still am taken aback to how grounded it is for its time. Great songwriting and general musical sensibility. It was actually a really nice change of pace to the more dense and cold material from the bigger names I was absorbing. Classic album. It was reissued by The Crypt and I really want it.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
You've made a terrible mistake.

Way way better than their set with Slayer.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
:shrug: I need to rest my broken ribs okay ._.
I guess I can't blame ya. But man, all 3 bands were firing on all cylinders. Loved every minute of each set and Behemoth absolutely killed. Wasn't really a huge At The Gates fan but after tonight I just might have to be.

My only regret is spending so much money.

Oct 25, 2017
This album is so good. Not sure if I like it as much overall as the previous album yet, but so far the highs seem noticeably higher and the songs more memorable.

I'd say the first album is definitely an easier listen overall, but all in all I prefer Prelude. Like you said, the highs are higher and the songs are just more memorable overall. Vintage is a modern classic IMO.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
absolutely. It was formed not long after the demise of Weakling with no concrete output for a decade, so the fact that it still exists today is amazing. The black metal component I feel has been getting much stronger and more prominent with each release, and at this point I think they are in the same territory as Arizmenda in a lot of ways since their last tape.

as for Gehenna, nice rec! Oddly enough that particular album of theirs was in my rotation pretty frequently when I was getting into black metal. I didn't start with all the classics straight up so to speak, so somehow it found its way to me. I was and still am taken aback to how grounded it is for its time. Great songwriting and general musical sensibility. It was actually a really nice change of pace to the more dense and cold material from the bigger names I was absorbing. Classic album. It was reissued by The Crypt and I really want it.

Yeah, definitely has a bit of an Arizmenda feel. I picked up the releases on bandcamp and have been going through them. Bummer they only release material every 3 years.

I was pretty lucky to pick up that Crypt reissue of the second spell back in like 2012. It's a great package and definitely worth tracking down.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Song of The Day

Messiah - Hyper Borea

Still the best effort, Extreme Cold Weather a masterpiece. Hard to find a thrash album with more atmosphere, lot of blackened influence, and not anything like what they had before or after.

TehPwnerer

Oct 30, 2017
Oh Happy Day! After 8 years of waiting Seventh Wonder finally got Tiara released. Didn't even realize it released October 13 because I'd pretty much given up checking the status after so many delays. Check it out if you want to get your Prog Concept Album fix.

seventh-wonder-tiara.jpg

Seventh Wonder - "Tiara's Song" (Official Music Video) https://youtu.be/Raz0TKEox6A

Track Listing

1. Arrival
  2. The Everones
  3. Dream Machines
  4. Against The Grain
  5. Victorious
  6. Tiara's Song (Farewell Pt. 1)
  7. Goodnight (Farewell Pt. 2)
  8. Beyond Today (Farewell Pt. 3)
  9. The Truth
  10. By The Light Of The Funeral Pyres
  11. Damnation Below
  12. Procession
  13. Exhale

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Song of the Day

Type O Negative - Black No 1

I was going to write a big long writeup about why I chose this as my song of the day, but it's Type O Negative...I don't need a reason. Peter Steele is enough reason to post Type O Negative.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
I guess I can't blame ya. But man, all 3 bands were firing on all cylinders. Loved every minute of each set and Behemoth absolutely killed. Wasn't really a huge At The Gates fan but after tonight I just might have to be.

My only regret is spending so much money.
Which songs from ILYAYD did they play? Wolves of Siberia, God=Dog, Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica, Bartzabel and We are next 1000 years?

Protip: never regret how much you spend for and on a concert. I have already spend 300 Euro on concerts for 2019.

For this year, only Slayer and one (or maybe two) day of Winter Days of Metal festival are still on the list.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Which songs from ILYAYD did they play? Wolves of Siberia, God=Dog, Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica, Bartzabel and We are next 1000 years?

Protip: never regret how much you spend for and on a concert. I have already spend 300 Euro on concerts for 2019.

For this year, only Slayer and one (or maybe two) day of Winter Days of Metal festival are still on the list.
Yeah thats all they played, plus intro and outro.

I just spent a lot buying merch at the show, but my biggest merch haul so far was Slayer and I still feel like I didnt bring home enough.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day:

Sadhus (The Smoking Community) - Colombian Boat Blues

Just recently discovered these guys, and they play a mighty fine Weedeater-like sludge.

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day

It's cold here. Winter has most certainly arrived, but should this be a black metal day or not? Initially I was reaching for something cold, but the sun is out and its a bit warm inside so maybe we'll do some death metal today. Let's turn up the Incendiary from Ares Kingdom and heat things up a bit shall we?

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Song of the Day

It's cold here. Winter has most certainly arrived, but should this be a black metal day or not? Initially I was reaching for something cold, but the sun is out and its a bit warm inside so maybe we'll do some death metal today. Let's turn up the Incendiary from Ares Kingdom and heat things up a bit shall we?

!

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Got the new Opeth live bluray, it was pretty good.

Ghost of Perdition and Demon of the Fall are still so damn amazing.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Now that the dust has kind of cleared after djent (mostly), the one album that stands apart for me from the rest is Ever Forthright, followed some distance behind by early Monuments (vox for this album is now in that band) and Vildjharta. There's stuff going on here that is similar to the wave of psychedelic avant-garde bands of the '90s that existed on the fringe of Britpop and Shoegaze like Rollerskate Skinny and Mansun (seemingly random styles and parts cleverly spliced together), but firmly rooted in modern metal. It was lightning in a bottle- band members went on to other bands full time and no follow up that I'm aware of. Trendy for it's time yet timeless, an endless well of glimpses into what could be as metal evolves, I can't think of a more potent or exciting album of the last decade or more. They put on a clinic on everything they set out to do in every song on the album, and the songs themselves are breathtaking. And it jams really fucking hard. Grooves, breakdowns, facemelters, interludes, chugs, it doesn't matter what's going on at any given time- it is fresh and amazing. It's one of those rare albums that makes you wonder how the fuck they did it. Probably a big part of there not being any more after this, how would you even go about doing it again- I imagine this music could only happen once, in a particular set of constraints and circumstances for everyone involved. The only artist I can think of that is in this lane that comes up with material on this level is Devin Townsend, but not even Ziltoid or Deconstruction packs as much jaw dropping stuff in one album.

ffo: psychedelic, technical, progressive, djent, deathcore
a2394890436_10.jpg

https://everforthright.bandcamp.com/album/ever-forthright