• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Bought ticket for Winter days of metal. Due to financial constrains, I will only visit the first day, when Skalmold, Alestorm and Igorrr plays.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we'll get a new album from them in 2019, it's been too long! That said i'd settle for some new Abominable Putridity...
I don't know if Abominable Putridity even exists anymore

There was a lot of drama around LVDF last year. Matti Way had a cover band called "AP" and from what I could gather in Facebook comments the real band wasn't paying him or something

I love Matti but he didn't write those slams, getting a jobber crew to play em ain't it

7 H Target has their OG drummer back so I hope they can get back on track, didn't dig the 2 song sampler at all. His style was so key to the band, like a slam Ken Owen. Without him they sounded more like modern Wormed or something

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
7 H Target has their OG drummer back so I hope they can get back on track, didn't dig the 2 song sampler at all. His style was so key to the band, like a slam Ken Owen. Without him they sounded more like modern Wormed or something

The lyrics/aesthetic really suffered too with his absence. I want song titles that are on that Psy Slam Damage level.

Sucks that AP have seem to gone dark but i still have hope. Anomalies is still one of my favorite slam albums.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Typically don't care to bother with best of year lists, there's just too much great stuff to bother ranking anything. Usually just pick the standouts that I've listened to more than anything else, and I think that comes down to Tyranny of Hours - Darkling, Omnium Gatherum - The Burning Cold, and Kalmah - Palo. Think that is pretty set in stone, three awesome albums.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Cosmic Church - Täyttymys

That's the only 2018 that I can think of right now that made enough of an impression that comes to mind. That one and the new Haken.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
new Yellow Eyes LP going to press in January. The EP compilation is still forthcoming, and a split with Vilkacis also seems to be in the works.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Anyone here follow the VinAnd Sori youtube channel? It's two christians who listen to and react to extreme metal. Don't let the "christians react to" fool you though, what's fun and interesting is that they actually seem to like the music they listen to. And do really well and deep analysees of the lyrics used. Here's two of my favourite videos: them listening to Watain and Darkthrone:

Last edited:

Doomshine

Oct 30, 2017
^I watch them occasionally. The video where they talk about the Behemoth concert they went to is pretty funny. Nergal mentioned them on stage and said he liked them.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
Cosmic Church - Täyttymys

That's the only 2018 that I can think of right now that made enough of an impression that comes to mind. That one and the new Haken.

It's on my 2018 list. Too bad they split-up, but at least they ended with a great album.

new Yellow Eyes LP going to press in January. The EP compilation is still forthcoming, and a split with Vilkacis also seems to be in the works.

Yellow Eyes and Vilkacis split? Two great bands together, should be something quite special :)

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
That said i'd settle for some new Abominable Putridity...
welp

46888787_2063015747070297_757709110928998400_n.jpg

i'm expecting a single but if these dudes drop an album....whew

I really hope it's the real Abominable Putridity but all I've seen so far is Matti posting it so there's a good chance it's just his guys he got to do it. Which sucks

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As a fan of Necros Christos since Black Mass Desecration, not sure how I feel about Domedon Doxomedon and even Nine Graves, really. They are good, but kinda dreg too.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Song of the Day

Day is getting away from me. I tossed this new Sigh on and remembered that I'm on Sunday. Four day weekends make me lose track... So were doing the first track off this new album, Aletheia. The video is as weird as this bands sounds and that is a good thing. I got into them when Graveward came out and I haven't really explored the rest of their discography, but I love what I've heard so far. Check them out if you've never heard them. Their definitely something else.

Yeah, new album is pretty great... maybe? Much like with anything Sigh I'll need to let it settle for a while before I know what I really think of it. The weird thing about this album is I've been reading some reviews where they call it Sigh's most "straightforward and accessible album in years". Um... am I listening to the same record? It sounds to me more like it hearkens back to the Imaginary Sonicscape era in terms of experimentalism and 85% of the lyrics are in Japanese.

As an aside, I've been listening to Sigh for 10+ years, and I just now figured out that the first letters of all of their album titles spell out "Sigh" in 4 album blocks. I only realized this when I was flipping through the albums on my iPhone and noticed they were all grouped under "S", "I", "G", or "H". Good old Sigh.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My favourite Sigh album by far is Ghastly Funeral Theatre, in fact I'd say that is my favourite black metal album of all time. If anyone hasn't yet listened to it I highly recommend it!

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, new album is pretty great... maybe? Much like with anything Sigh I'll need to let it settle for a while before I know what I really think of it. The weird thing about this album is I've been reading some reviews where they call it Sigh's most "straightforward and accessible album in years". Um... am I listening to the same record? It sounds to me more like it hearkens back to the Imaginary Sonicscape era in terms of experimentalism and 85% of the lyrics are in Japanese.

As an aside, I've been listening to Sigh for 10+ years, and I just now figured out that the first letters of all of their album titles spell out "Sigh" in 4 album blocks. I only realized this when I was flipping through the albums on my iPhone and noticed they were all grouped under "S", "I", "G", or "H". Good old Sigh.

lol, they do spell out their own name an awful lot and no, I would not call this new one accessible. I got to the latter tracks and there was some weird stuff towards the end. Not sure which track it was because I was working out, but there was some weird moaning noisy type thing and I was like what da fuq is dis. I'm with you though. Their material has to be digested. The first few songs had me on board but as the album wore on....

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
lol, they do spell out their own name an awful lot and no, I would not call this new one accessible. I got to the latter tracks and there was some weird stuff towards the end. Not sure which track it was because I was working out, but there was some weird moaning noisy type thing and I was like what da fuq is dis. I'm with you though. Their material has to be digested. The first few songs had me on board but as the album wore on....

Haha, yup. There's a 3 part "song" on the back end that's exactly what you described. It picks up and gets back on track after that one for one song, then there's a 14 minute epic which takes some odd turns.

My favourite Sigh album by far is Ghastly Funeral Theatre, in fact I'd say that is my favourite black metal album of all time. If anyone hasn't yet listened to it I highly recommend it!

Ghastly Funeral Theatre is absolutely great, but I wouldn't really call it black metal. I've always thought Sigh gets that title more by early association than musical content. Even Scorn Defeat is pretty far from traditional black metal. I love black metal too, but if I'm in that type of mood I'm not generally going to throw on Sigh (except for maybe Scenes from Hell). The vocals are definitely black metal (except when they're not), but I don't really know how to define Sigh. Probably blackened something? Blackened avant garde?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haha, yup. There's a 3 part "song" on the back end that's exactly what you described. It picks up and gets back on track after that one for one song, then there's a 14 minute epic which takes some odd turns.

Ghastly Funeral Theatre is absolutely great, but I wouldn't really call it black metal. I've always thought Sigh gets that title more by early association than musical content. Even Scorn Defeat is pretty far from traditional black metal. I love black metal too, but if I'm in that type of mood I'm not generally going to throw on Sigh (except for maybe Scenes from Hell). The vocals are definitely black metal (except when they're not), but I don't really know how to define Sigh. Probably blackened something? Blackened avant garde?

Ghastly Funeral Theatre does deviate from traditional black metal, but I would say that it still falls into that realm at least. I definitely would consider Sigh Scorn and Infidel Art as black metal though, I don't think a band needs to sound exactly like Bathory, Burzum or Darkthrone to be considered black metal.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Ghastly Funeral Theatre does deviate from traditional black metal, but I would say that it still falls into that realm at least. I definitely would consider Sigh Scorn and Infidel Art as black metal though, I don't think a band needs to sound exactly like Bathory, Burzum or Darkthrone to be considered black metal.

Agreed in theory, just that Sigh was just so unlike everything else that was going on in the genre, especially at that time. I mean the only things that really tied them in were the corpse paint (which they dropped early on), the vocals, and the fact that they were signed to Deathlike Silence. I mean, I might use the term black metal if someone really pushed me to categorize them, but they'd be pretty far down the list of bands I'd recommend if I had a friend that was heavy into Gorgoroth, Horna and Sargeist or something.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Deafheaven's new album finally clicked with me. Dunno what it was about it because logically I feel like it should be my favorite of theirs, but it wasn't quite getting me as excited as it should, but over the weekend it really started stirring things for me. I fucking love it now and I'm almost ready to call it my favorite of theirs.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mi...rth-of-material-written-for-next-opeth-album/

Nice. I'm pretty excited to see what direction Opeth go on their next album.

I'm pretty stoked, too. Opeth was a massively formative band for me and I do like their old sound better, but their new stuff still excites me a pretty great deal. Heritage sounds really unique, and honestly my favorite time seeing them live was on the Heritage tour so that helped things more. Pale Communion is a masterpiece, and Sorceress grew on me quite a bit. Wondering where they go now. Especially wondering if there will be any growls at all. Akerfeldt was shying away for a while but now he's doing them at concerts so I kind of wonder if we'll see maybe one or two on the album.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Another one? I'm like 2 albums behind... I dig this recent Overkill sound, but they make too many samey albums... :\

That defines their past two albums, Electric Age and Ironbound are two distinct albums that shred, White Devil Armory and Mean Green Killing Machine were a few steps down. I really do not mind either way

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
I will attend Winter days of Metal day one tomorrow. Skalmold, Alestorm and Igorrr are on my radar, dunno about two other bands if I will be there (20 km from my house) in time.