• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also, I wish black metal wasn't so infested with neo-Nazi fucks, because a lot of the music they make is really good. For example, I really enjoy Inquisition's debut, and a lot of the Norwegian bands, but if Varg is to be trusted in his videos, Euronymous seems to have been like the only non-white supremacist in the scene (judging by the anecdote of him wearing a communist badge while everyone else supported "white power" instead, man what on Earth was Euronymous thinking being around those guys, that was a disaster waiting to happen).

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I trust hm when he says that the scene was full of white supremacists.
Varg Vikernes always was and still is full of shit. Why exactly would you want to believe something that paints him as just another one of the boys instead of being a racist idiot on top of a murderer?

(On the note of whether that affects my listening experience: the weather outside is perfect for some "Det som engang var"... So no, not really.)

OmegaDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Song of the Day

Coming in at the last minute with my selection is Burning Worlds of Excrement from Svartidauði off of their new album Revelations of the Red Sword
This album is a good reason why people should not make their best of the year lists final before December :)

This is pretty good, thanks for posting!

Some 2018 releases I really enjoy:

Kriegsmaschine - Apocalypticists
https://ksmpl.bandcamp.com/album/apocalypticists
Black Metal with members of Mgla. Ritualistic, the highlight is the drumming. Probably my favourite of this year

Entropia - Vaccuum
https://entropia.bandcamp.com/
Psychedelic extreme metal, mostly instrumental. Sound is both punchy and manages to carry you away.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Well, I trust hm when he says that the scene was full of white supremacists.
And why on Earth would you trust him when he says something self-serving that would attempt to normalize his extreme, fringe, abhorrent views instead of, you know, thinking he's a nutcase?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And why on Earth would you trust him when he says something self-serving that would attempt to normalize his extreme, fringe, abhorrent views instead of, you know, thinking he's a nutcase?

Because of Transilvanian Hunger's Aryan black metal and calling critics of that Jews, Hellhammer saying he doesn't like black metal, Faust's murder of a gay man, etc.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
it doesn't matter if Varg said it, NSBM is a thing because many people in the scene think this way. That's why events like Asgardsrei are possible. Most of the explicit stuff is Eastern European, I would say. I honestly don't think of Norway much when it comes to actual NSBM.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like overtly NS stuff is super easy to avoid but I'm not gonna argue that there aren't people in pretty popular bands that maybe have some questionable beliefs/affiliations, even if the bands lyrics/themes are not explicitly NS/racist. Drudkh is a good example.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like overtly NS stuff is super easy to avoid but I'm not gonna argue that there aren't people in pretty popular bands that maybe have some questionable beliefs/affiliations, even if the bands lyrics/themes are not explicitly NS/racist. Drudkh is a good example.
I mean, Burzum is a pretty good example for exactly that (though I don't know if that changed with newer albums).

As for NSBM, yeah, sure it's a thing. But as Valkyr said, it's really easy to avoid. Though Spotify did recommend me Nokturnal Mortum once (and no, I don't even listen to Burzum on Spotify, let alone actual NSBM bands. They won't get my money, measley amounts as they may be). But the original discussion was about whether (Black) Metal was "infested" with Nazi stuff and whether Varg is to be trusted regarded his fellow Norwegian Black Metal scene of the early 1990s. And I really don't think he is.

I also don't really thing (Black) Metal is "infested" with NSBM. Yes, less would always be better, but these discussions sometimes read like you'd basically stumble over NSBM bands constantly. Most of them sound like crap anyway (the bad kind of crap, that is), and for the few that don't, well, those names are usually well-known if you're just a little bit into Black Metal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In any case I still listen to Burzum and even Nokturnal Mortum, Goat Horns is one of my favourite black metal albums. However, while it may not stop me from listening to them I still think that it's an interesting topic to discuss and I do not believe that Varg lived in a vacuum; even if what he says is full of shit he must have had influences or influenced people especially considering that he was friends with Fenriz and even wrote lyrics for Transilvanian Hunger. There is also the fact that he was originally named Kristian and I think he used that name for part of his time in Old Funeral? So he must have decided at some point during that era to stop using that name and I wonder what it was exactly.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Which makes no sense since Hitler hated Slavs.
people who are open to getting hyped up on hatred and looking down on other groups as inferior tend to lack the self-awareness to realize that the previous generation of hate-junkies would've viewed them as the punching bags and not as brothers. it'd be funny if it weren't so fucking dangerous.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Сварга (Svarga) (UKR) - Символ Волі

just felt like sharing this album because of this topic. One of my favorite Stellar Winter albums.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
anti-communism and anti-Semitism were also rife in these regions without any help from Hitler. Many people in Nazi-occupied territories had their own reasons to collaborate with Germany.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
In any case I still listen to Burzum and even Nokturnal Mortum, Goat Horns is one of my favourite black metal albums. However, while it may not stop me from listening to them I still think that it's an interesting topic to discuss and I do not believe that Varg lived in a vacuum; even if what he says is full of shit he must have had influences or influenced people especially considering that he was friends with Fenriz and even wrote lyrics for Transilvanian Hunger. There is also the fact that he was originally named Kristian and I think he used that name for part of his time in Old Funeral? So he must have decided at some point during that era to stop using that name and I wonder what it was exactly.
I think he changed his name from Kristian to Varg because he hates Christianity and Abrahmic religions (I mean he burned down churches after all), so he hated having that name.

Regarding listening to music with band members having bad histories or beliefs, I agree with what you say. Particularly extreme music genres do not exist in vacuums. If I remember correctly, there were witnesses that said Euronymous was planning to kill Varg as well (it came from other people in the scene), - I think Varg's defense wanted to use this but it was was thrown out of court as it was irrelevant to Varg's murder of Euronymous, because Varg did not know about this before his act of murdering Euronymous.

I've always felt that if one is a mature adult, separating art from the artist is not an issue, and if you feel you don't want to support them financially, don't, but it doesn't mean you don't have to stop listening, just educate oneself on what one listens to, reads, etc. It's like if university literature/philosophy faculties stopped having Heidegger's work as part of the curriculum, it doesn't make sense, Heidegger was affiliated with Nazism, but his body of work cannot just be ignored and there is important work there that is unrelated to his affiliation, it doesn't mean one sympathises with him, it's important to educate oneself about the person behind the work if they have explicit beliefs, but if you are an educated and mature adult, this should not be an issue.

And regarding subgenres of metal, or any music, extreme music can attract all sorts of people with contrarian beliefs or ideas, that's kind of a given, many of us here listen but that hasn't made us sympathetic or adopted such beliefs.

For example the lead singer of Deströyer 666 is obsessed with masculinity in a damaging way, is a misogynist, a racist, and possibly a Nazi, but that hasn't made those of us here that listen to the band become like him or sympathise with him - the band has a very good output, and the output doesn't contain fascist content and the like, I feel like people should be able to know these things, and not be influenced by it, and that other people should not assume that because others that do listen to it that must be like that too - that really annoys me when people make assumptions about others regarding things like that. Usually becoming a Nazi for example comes from hanging around places that attract those sort of crowds, like particular bars/venues for gigs, that's how you can get influenced/peer pressured, not listening to music that doesn't have content pertaining to those ideas and maybe some of the members having questionable beliefs. A big problem also with extreme music genres in general, very little is known about band members to begin with.

Metal of course is not the only genre with issues, hip hop has issues with homophobia, and again it doesn't necessarily make people who listen to homophobic artists particularly homophobes themselves, especially if the music doesn't contain homophobic content.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the middle of my capstone for college, graduating in a couple weeks, so I've missed my song of the day again for Wednesday.

Was just going to post more Motörhead, need to have more love for them here

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I found the band Vanishing Kids yesterday and this album blew me the fuck away.

Angry Metal Guy says this about it:

The thing is, they're not really doom at all. In fact, they're one of those rare bands that openly defies easy classification. Every time you think you have them pigeonholed, they sprout 4 new musical tendrils with which to crush the ducks you'd lined up so nicely in a row. The core of the Wisconsin-based outfit's sound is undeniably the heavy, psychedelic rock of the 70s, but that's merely the jump off point for a weird exploration of metal, shoegaze, indie rock and a host of off-kilter ideas purloined from emo, alternative music and Krautrock. The music is very heavy in mood, even if it's not actually heavy metal as we know it. It's also intensely captivating, and maybe, just maybe, a work of real genius.

Definitely agree.

Also cool that they're pretty local here in Wisconsin.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
glad to hear lol. If I'm honest, I owe my initial metal discoveries to GTA: Vice City. V-Rock thrash just blew my mind.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
whoops lol. It's been a long week!

Also Conception's new EP is out today and Roy Khan sounds as amazing as ever:

Oh wow. I had no idea that they finally released an album. I had heard the news of Khan rejoining when it first happened, and waited, and waited, and waited for them to actually release new material and then just kind of forgot about them. Kamelot might have made him more money and given him more exposure, but Conception was the much more interesting band.

edit: Weird. I knew he quit music for a while due to an illness, but I swore there were plenty of articles floating around a few years ago about how he was back with Conception, and they weren't just fantasy articles either. I even have an email to a friend, telling him how I was glad that Khan was back with his original band.

Last edited: