• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Tobias, Hansi, AND Jørn? I'm so in.

edit: okay that was great. If the rest of the album is that good i might not be salty about getting more Avantasia before a new Edguy album!

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I just realized my dumbass forgot the T in metal lol.
You mean you weren't preaching at the Church of Eating Holy Foods?

I'll be here all day

late edit: hmm, not feeling it so far... some songs are decent, others are very much "meh"

But I also feel that way about a lot of albums this year that people have gushed over, like the new Immortal and Priest albums... my top 10 of non-metal of 2018 was easier to list than my metal top 10 >_<

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
You mean you weren't preaching at the Church of Eating Holy Foods?

I'll be here all day

late edit: hmm, not feeling it so far... some songs are decent, others are very much "meh"

But I also feel that way about a lot of albums this year that people have gushed over, like the new Immortal and Priest albums... my top 10 of non-metal of 2018 was easier to list than my metal top 10 >_<

I found it much more consistent than their 2016 release, a lot of good classic riffs, coming after the stinkers after masterpeace.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Uruk (TX) - Nihilistic Warfare in Inhuman Realms

it seems like nowadays I only really listen to USBM from the coasts, but ever since these guys dropped their Battle Hymns EP I was following them closely. They released their debut LP recently and it's fucking nice. Highly riff-oriented, semi-technical black metal with a some Tolkien/medieval themes. The melodic guitar lines on both of their releases so far are just killer.

Black Howling (PRT) - Return of Primordial Stillness

new full-length from one of my favorite Portuguese black metal bands. As always, absolutely no nonsense, raw melodic black metal that drives the themes home. Really great, focused, fucking romantic energy here. Beautiful release.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Finally was able to watch the Amon Amarth documentary (shipping was delayed to the US). Really cool to see how they came up, and listen to their songs in surround sound.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
^^ Amon amarth doc? I'll have to see that one day. As a teenager they were one of my gateways into metal beyond, like, metallica, sabbath, maiden, etc. I don't listen to much of them any more but they were a big part in inoculating me to harsh vocals of any kind.

also this xasthur cover of A National Acrobat I just heard was some trippy stuff.

edit: OMG I just noticed the band with the redacted name. Wow. They should just lean into it and write concept albums about top secret intelligence work or something.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I'm certain these people do this to troll me.

How about this one: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/|||_-_|||/3540310159

Since you're one of the staff there, I'm curious about what's the common practise with band pages when they change their names slightly? For example, Mayhem and The True Mayhem are defined as the same band there, whereas our band True Black Dawn is split to two pages with Black Dawn. Eventhough one of the albums was released under both names, it's only mentioned on the BD page.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Hey sure alright

48422443_10155979207504013_5343941868965068800_n.jpg

Aborted and Cryptopsy are hit or miss nowadays but I'll probably go to this

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Since you're one of the staff there, I'm curious about what's the common practise with band pages when they change their names slightly? For example, Mayhem and The True Mayhem are defined as the same band there, whereas our band True Black Dawn is split to two pages with Black Dawn. Eventhough one of the albums was released under both names, it's only mentioned on the BD page.
Normally a slight change like that doesn't warrant its own band page, but I guess Black Dawn had legal issues (according to the information on the page) so maybe it was decided that way? That said, both pages were created in the very early days of the site so... I wonder if they should be merged, actually 🤔
Edit: or wait, I just saw that "The True Mayhem" is not actually the band's name, they never released an album under that name, it's just an alternate name for them.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Normally a slight change like that doesn't warrant its own band page, but I guess Black Dawn had legal issues (according to the information on the page) so maybe it was decided that way? That said, both pages were created in the very early days of the site so... I wonder if they should be merged, actually 🤔
Edit: or wait, I just saw that "The True Mayhem" is not actually the band's name, they never released an album under that name, it's just an alternate name for them.

Yeah, there was a copyright issue, as another band had secured the rights for the name in America. Technically, we could have used the same name in Europe, but it would have required different cover designs for the regions. Despite of the added prefix, the band is the same, so it would be nice to have all the releases, or at least the debut album, on the tBD page.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, there was a copyright issue, as another band had secured the rights for the name in America. Technically, we could have used the same name in Europe, but it would have required different cover designs for the regions. Despite of the added prefix, the band is the same, so it would be nice to have all the releases, or at least the debut album, on the tBD page.
Wait, is this your band?
I can look into merging the band pages, let me see what the rest of the staff thinks.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
If you are into The Blackening, the 2 follow ups Unto the Locust and Bloodstone & Diamonds were pretty good. What I heard of their new one was fucking terrible though. I'm not the biggest fan but I did enjoy those 3 releases when I listened to them.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I really dug the Blackening all the much myself after so many listens, it was pretty good but I never heard a masterpiece it has been hailed as.

*Also if you'd like for me to work on a collage of metal albums for the page banner I'd be more than happy to, I think the current one could use a sprucing up.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
favorite time of the year. been going through invisible oranges (my favorite blog) top 10 lists and while I never listened to old horrendous.... I've listened to their new album Idol all the way through 6 times today.

I'm sure it's been posted, but just in case it hasn't
https://horrendous.bandcamp.com/album/idol

Great release this year. Also check out their older albums, I prefer them even more to the new one. If you are anywhere on the east coast in the northern atlantic area, they will be around and are great to see live.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I just saw this hilarious bit in FB feed. :D

https://roadburn.com/roadburn-essential-sounds-14-12-18/
Necros ChristosTemple VII They and all that belonged to them went alive into Shoel(Sepulchral Voice)

One of my favourite death metal bands of all time. I had to use one of their intros, because they have the best intros in the universe. I think one of the members of Arktau Eos, who also make very ominous intros, had something to do with the intros on this record. As one of the members of Blasphemy once famously said about Arktau Eos, "what could be more evil than making an album of only intros!"

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Details of what the Cannibal Corpse guitarist actually had.
The Tampa Bay Times detailed the arsenal, which included " thousands of rounds of ammunition — stored in boxes, military-style metal cans and even ammunition belts — several other weapons and weapons' parts and three skulls." There was no indication as to what type of skulls were found in the home. Among the weapons were "about 50 shotguns," one of which was sawed off to roughly one inch past the stock, making it the only illegal weapon to possess in a stash that also contained 10 semi-automatic rifles (including AK-47 variants and a pair of Uzi-style rifles) and 20 handguns per a search warrant, noted the Tampa Bay Times.

Yooooo....

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
One doesn't need any guns and ammo, but if you have a hobby and a good paying gig...you may go a tad overboard. I mean if I had the cash I'd probably build an arsenal too, but it sounded like there may be some mental issues. I haven't kept up on the latest so that may have just been speculation.

Oct 27, 2017
Great release this year. Also check out their older albums, I prefer them even more to the new one. If you are anywhere on the east coast in the northern atlantic area, they will be around and are great to see live.
will do!

found another couple releases I've really been digging
bosse-de-nage - further still - https://bosse-de-nage.bandcamp.com/album/further-still
howling sycamore - s/t - https://howlingsycamore.bandcamp.com/ - hannes grossman, davide tiso, and jason mcmaster plus some great guests!?

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
I haven't really kept up on them, but isn't Cannibal Corpse on the lineup for the next NA leg of the Slayer tour? I take it their guitarist is being filled in.
They posted on Instagram that they are going on tour, so looks like they will have a replacement guitarist

As a band and as individuals, we all want nothing but the best for our brother and partner, Pat. While we can offer no further information about the incident, we wanted everyone to know that Pat is getting the help he needs and appreciates the love and support from Cannibal Corpse fans around the world.
Pat is currently with family and friends and looks forward to a healthy return at some point. For anyone wondering, all Cannibal Corpse touring will happen as planned and all shows will be played.

Meanwhile, Metalsucks vs Nergal story is unfolding . Good god what would some people do just to get a few clicks on their site...

Last edited:

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day:
All these year-end-lists reminded me that Slugdge is indeed a very fine band.

Slugdge - The Toxic Salts

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day

Tiz the season. So in the spirit were doing some Twisted Sister - Heavy Metal Christmas. I'm about to go pop in their Christmas DVD and jam my lunch out. Enjoy!