• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
I know a few of you live in the Bay Area. Do you know what music clubs I should check out if I want to see where bands like Vio-Lence played?

Do you mean current venues or old venues thrash bands used to play at? There only a handful of venues left, but Oakland Metro, DNA Lounge, Slims, and Regency Ballroom are the usuals.

Last time I saw Vio-Lence played was at Slims, Maritime Hall, and The Pound back in the early 2000s.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I was mostly interested in venues Thrash bands used to play in, especially in the 80's. Some may not consider them historic, but for me they are.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Loving this Conjurer album. Totally flew under the radar for Me but I've listened to it a few times now. Definitely one of my favorite metal releases of 2018.

This song fucking rules

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area thrashers VIO-LENCE will reunite for a one-off concert on Saturday, April 13 at the Oakland Metro in Oakland, California. The band will perform its debut album, "Eternal Nightmare", in its entirety at the show, along with "other surprises."

The VIO-LENCE lineup that will appear at the Metro will consist of guitarist Phil Demmel, vocalist Sean Killian, bassist Deen Dell, drummer Perry Strickland and guitarist Ray Vegas.

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

Would rather hear Oppressing but they'll probably do a few tracks. Liquid Courage, I Profit, etc

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area thrashers VIO-LENCE will reunite for a one-off concert on Saturday, April 13 at the Oakland Metro in Oakland, California. The band will perform its debut album, "Eternal Nightmare", in its entirety at the show, along with "other surprises."

The VIO-LENCE lineup that will appear at the Metro will consist of guitarist Phil Demmel, vocalist Sean Killian, bassist Deen Dell, drummer Perry Strickland and guitarist Ray Vegas.

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

Would rather hear Oppressing but they'll probably do a few tracks. Liquid Courage, I Profit, etc

Had David White from Heathen among other giants sing songs in place of Sean for his benefit show last year, it was killer

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

Pretty much the same line up when I saw them for their first reunion at Thrash of the Titans.
They will most likely play the song Paraplegic.

I know we've discussed this at times, but Eternal Nightmare > Torture Tactics > Oppressing The Masses

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Sulfuric doesn't want to have downloads for their stuff but hey at least you can listen to this on youtube now. Absurd drums

Pretty much the same line up when I saw them for their first reunion at Thrash of the Titans.
They will most likely play the song Paraplegic.

I know we've discussed this at times, but Eternal Nightmare > Torture Tactics > Oppressing The Masses
There's always a clear split between fans of Eternal and Oppressing

Two takes on the same style. Eternal is brighter and more classic sounding, Oppressing is heavier and more aggressive to me.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
There's always a clear split between fans of Eternal and Oppressing

Two takes on the same style. Eternal is brighter and more classic sounding, Oppressing is heavier and more aggressive to me.

A lot of songs on Oppressing gets lost in the mix, I've listened to that album too many times to count and it just is not as memorable. What I love about that album though, which is what you probably love about it to is the aggression, it fits very nicely in that early 90s thrash phase I Profit being one of the best examples.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of songs on Oppressing gets lost in the mix, I've listened to that album too many times to count and it just is not as memorable. What I love about that album though, which is what you probably love about it to is the aggression, it fits very nicely in that early 90s thrash phase I Profit being one of the best examples.
It's similar to what Laaz Rockit tried with Nothing$ $acred but I think a lot more successful

I get stuff like Engulfed By Flames isn't exactly a classic but I think the riffs rip hard enough for it to stand next to the hits

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
It's similar to what Laaz Rockit tried with Nothing$ $acred but I think a lot more successful

I get stuff like Engulfed By Flames isn't exactly a classic but I think the riffs rip hard enough for it to stand next to the hits

Yeah I am a big fan of Nothing$ $acred, which to me I'd rate higher than Oppressing the Masses since the songs are more memorable

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am a big fan of Nothing$ $acred, which to me I'd rate higher than Oppressing the Masses since the songs are more memorable
I'm torn on Nothing's Sacred because I think it's good and very consistent, but I still prefer Annihilation Principle (which is one of my favorite albums ever). NS has more interesting songwriting I guess but I think the 90's aggressive thrash kind of makes their sound blend together a bit

Annihilation Principle has a pretty terrible last song but otherwise I think that style suits them better. More traditional riffy stuff that doesn't get overly hard or flashy

I think where I'm coming from with the Vio-Lence comparison is in Laaz Rockit's case it ends up feeling like a bit of a departure while Oppressing is a continuation in the same direction. Hopping to a different sound is LR's bread and butter though. lol

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn on Nothing's Sacred because I think it's good and very consistent, but I still prefer Annihilation Principle (which is one of my favorite albums ever). NS has more interesting songwriting I guess but I think the 90's aggressive thrash kind of makes their sound blend together a bit

Annihilation Principle has a pretty terrible last song but otherwise I think that style suits them better. More traditional riffy stuff that doesn't get overly hard or flashy

I think where I'm coming from with the Vio-Lence comparison is in Laaz Rockit's case it ends up feeling like a bit of a departure while Oppressing is a continuation in the same direction. Hopping to a different sound is LR's bread and butter though. lol

I understand, we had this same back and forth on Neogaf between the two albums haha.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
The new Epicardiectomy is up

we are not worthy

dumbass non release date for this album, started "shipping" from NSE on the 31st and I guess just appeared online. The best album of last year becomes the best album of this year

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day
In Flames - Artifacts of The Black Rain

Love this song, if anyone has any melodeath recs from 2018, I have not dug into much of any released.

Still one of my comfort albums. Still listening constantly after about 20 years.

A quick recommendation from me is The Burning Cold from Omnium Gatherum.

Also, I'm hoping to end up at Wacken 2020, so that is pretty exciting to finally experience that.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely fantastic BM album. Holy shit. "Life only Festers" is amazing.

I like it quite a bit, thanks for the rec.

Is anyone here still waiting for the kovenant's aria Galactica? I've been a fan of their industrial/symphonic metal since one of the cky videos (cky2k, I think).

Oh, and I'm absolutely obsessing about Absu's post-Abzu opus Apsu... I hope they'll name their follow-up obscene obstetrics, or something.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
TIL Discogs now has a "tracks" page where you can see all tracks for an artist. The nerd in me enjoys this feature.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day:

Soilwork - Shadowchild

Soilwork has just released their new album "Verkligheten", and so far it is absolutely brilliant. But all their singles have already been posted here, so how about some classic Soilwork instead.

I'm very much looking forward to see them live on monday. I still remember the first time I saw them live, and they started out playing "Follow the Hollow". Goosebumps aplenty.

Oct 27, 2017
talk about metal injection being a couple days late to the game :P
krallice posted "9:191/9/19" about 4 hours prior to releasing it on bandcamp at 9:19 on 1/9/19

I didn't really post my thoughts yet, but I feel like they are continually maturing. Church is probably the weakest on the album and it's the only new song they played live when I saw them in Portland so I wasn't sure how the rest of the album was going to turn out. Also sucks that Barr doesn't have any vocals on it this time around but surprising that Marston does. Instrumentation is continually pushing new heights and this has to be their most aggressive release since loum with dave edwardson.

really happy gilead media confirmed a physical release in the works since I'll be preordering that as soon as it goes up.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
New Soilwork Album: Really loving it. Hard to rank thus far. It caught me a bit more than The Ride Majestic did at first, though. Really catchy songs. Feels a bit lighter than even most of their new work. Good stuff.

New Dream Theater Song: Not bad, actually. I was never a huge detractor of LaBrie's voice, but I'm starting to dislike him like a lot of people seem to. Song would be much better with someone else.

New In Flames: I've liked every track so far, but "I, Mask" might be the better one. Didn't like the lyrics for (This is Our) House. Not digging the tracks as much as I absolutely loved Battles, though. We'll see how things grow on me.

Also, I know some might bag on me for even listening to it, but I tried out the new Born of Osiris and I liked it enough. I was wondering what's up with the low track time, though, and it seems it's a part 1 of 2 this year. BTBAM did that last year and they're on Sumerian, too. That label also convinced Periphery to release Juggernaut in two parts, too. Is that their thing now? I really don't like it. It really hurt BTBAM's album last year in my opinion.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Anyone here from Schwarzwald/Breisgau region, Stuttgart or Karlsruhe areas? Or just Baden-Württemberg in general? I recently moved to this part of Germany from another and I know there is a big metal scene here but want to know more from locals.

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Any bands you want for the new page banner? I was going to have my favorite album genre to genre but having all you contribute too sounds more fun.

I'll also have my top 100 thrash albums of 2018 out by the end of the week.