• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Any bands you want for the new page banner? I was going to have my favorite album genre to genre but having all you contribute too sounds more fun.
I think Maiden and Priest are mandatory (I'd pick Powerslave and Sad Wings of Destiny), 'cause, you know. But I trust your picks (not so much the rest of the community... no offense xD).
By genre representation I'd go with classic albums that also have cool and/or iconic covers, since it's a banner and all. Some suggestions:

- Black/thrash: Deströyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
- Black: Samael - Blood Ritual (or Ceremony of Opposites for the more iconic cover), or Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
- Death: Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness, or Bolt Thrower - Honour Valour Pride
- Death/thrash: Sepultura - Arise (not my favourite but the cover art is cooler... :3)
- Doom: Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
- Thrash: Vektor - Black Future, or Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
- Power: Blind Guardian - Imaginations, or Jag Panzer - Thane to the Throne
- Heavy/trad: Manilla Road - The Deluge (or Crystal Logic, it's ugly but kinda iconic),
- Gothic: Moonspell - Irreligious, Stillborn - Necrospirituals, or Type O Negative - World Coming Down, or Tiamat - Wildhoney
- Pagan/folk/viking: Einherjer - Dragons of the North, Bathory - Nordland I or II, Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Dying Fetus and Whitechapel are coming to the Starland Ballroom! I missed Dying Fetus when they were in Asbury Park.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
In a somewhat related story: I have a friend who I tried introducing Mastodon to back in 2006 via Leviathan and Remission. He didn't really like them, but then started taking to them when I had him later listen to Crack the Skye and especially The Hunter. We recently went on a pretty long road trip, and I was in charge of the music. Since his tastes had "grown" quite a bit over time (in no small part thanks to my influence), I decided to play some previous albums he wasn't too keen on. When we were halfway through Leviathan, he asked me who the band was, because he thought it sounded like Mastodon. I told him that's because it was, and he said that it was "fucking awesome" and asked me why I had not played it for him before...

Also, I just discovered Voivod's The Wake. It sounds a bit like Anacrusis (or just Ken Nardi) mixed with High on Fire and a bit of the earlier Mastodon stuff and maybe even some later Agent Steel to me.

Last edited:

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
With bands getting announced for Metaldays, I think that this year I will spend more time at second stage and not at the main one.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
1349 put out a new single apparently, doesn't even sound like the same band. More like modern Gorgoroth, weird

Apparently it's for some museum curation project or some shit

I thought Massive Cauldron Of Chaos was a really cool album, ironically less chaotic than their most well-regarded material but some really riffy/thrashy black metal with Frost blasting. Hope this isn't a sign of their next direction

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
The choruses in these two power metal songs are blowing my mind. Something about the hooks, they're just too good. I'm scouring the genre for songs that are on this level. Unholy Warcry from Rhapsody is close. Edenbridge, Fairyland and Falconer have a few that are up there. Anyone have any suggestions for songs that have catchy, epic hooks in the chorus like these?

I don't know which of these two I like better, they are both owning me right now.

Dragony - Wolves of the North

Kamelot - Soul Society

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone here listens to Yossi Sassi (former Orphaned Land guitarist)? I'm not sure if the music he creates now is considered metal but I'm looking for recommendations

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Departure Chandelier (INT)

these guys are about to release their first LP through NWN! and I'm pretty excited for it. Been waiting for this basically since their first demo. Nothing is quite like old school raw black metal with synths for me. Between the demo, split w/ Blood Tyrant, and sample off the new record, you can hear a little bit of Vlad Tepes, Satanic Warmaster, and Graveland AKA they know what's up. Members of Akitsa and Ash Pool.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day:

Insanity Alert - All Mosh / No Brain

Time to celebrate the visceral glorious stupidity that is commitment to the Thrash

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017

these guys are about to release their first LP through NWN! and I'm pretty excited for it. Been waiting for this basically since their first demo. Nothing is quite like old school raw black metal with synths for me. Between the demo, split w/ Blood Tyrant, and sample off the new record, you can hear a little bit of Vlad Tepes, Satanic Warmaster, and Graveland AKA they know what's up. Members of Akitsa and Ash Pool.
I just listened to the tracks without reading what you wrote, but "members of Akitsa" is utterly unsurprising now, lol. They have a quite distinct style. I like it though, looking forward to the release. Seems to be still a month out, though, according to the Metal Archives.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

Hell yeah. This is my shit right here.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Just a reminder that this photo shoot happened, and that Gloryhammer 'Goblin King of the Darkstorm Galaxy' owns.

The juxtaposition of these characters, man. The spectral guy on the right is the best

d9882fa206eb9794f8259645eba2ffcee2099bd7_hq.jpg

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
New Fallujah is disappointing 🙁

Nomadic/The Flesh Prevails/Dreamless are among my favorite releases of all time and while I don't think the new vocalist is particularly bad, I'm hoping he has more range on the rest of the album.

The bigger issue for me is that their previous vocalist was responsible for atmospheric electronic elements which really gave their music an impact. This newest song just sounds flat in comparison, and the fact that their saying this album is 'Fallujah stripped down' has me very worried. At least Rivers of Nihil are rocking it, and Black Crown Initiate is on the comeback.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
New Fallujah is disappointing 🙁

Nomadic/The Flesh Prevails/Dreamless are among my favorite releases of all time and while I don't think the new vocalist is particularly bad, I'm hoping he has more range on the rest of the album.

The bigger issue for me is that their previous vocalist was responsible for atmospheric electronic elements which really gave their music an impact. This newest song just sounds flat in comparison, and the fact that their saying this album is 'Fallujah stripped down' has me very worried. At least Rivers of Nihil are rocking it, and Black Crown Initiate is on the comeback.

Agree with this for the most part. I mean the song isn't bad, it's just not mind-blowing like Dreamless was for me. That came out of nowhere and blew me away.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with this for the most part. I mean the song isn't bad, it's just not mind-blowing like Dreamless was for me. That came out of nowhere and blew me away.
I'll always be partial to The Flesh Prevails as it was my introduction to their music, but Dreamless still slays and Nomadic is a super tight package. I still remember randomly stumbling across The Night Reveals and being amazed (and the ending to Sapphire, omg).

Even though their last vocalist didn't utilize his range much (only really did his highs on the Nomadic EP and The Void Alone), I thought his deeper grows fit the music more-so than this new vocalist. Again, it's not bad but it just sounds off and if he's able to demonstrate a little more range the vocals won't really bother me at all-- the lack of atmosphere will, though.

kinjx11

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
shout out to all Summoning fans , the best underrated band in Metal's history

also listen to Summoning - Flammifer then listen to Lady Gaga - Poker face , i think GAGA was inspired by the composition of Summoning and took a 1 or 2 melodies to use them in that chorus part !!!

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/warbeast-and-rigor-mortis-singer-bruce-corbitt-dead-at-56/

I've been updating the page here and neogaf past couple years about Bruce, just very sad to hear he's finally gone. he fought incredibly hard.

Super huge influence for underground thrash, one of my favorite vocalists, he brought a real distinctive atmosphere to pair with Mike's brilliant guitar, and to pass away a few years apart.

Texas metal scene just lost a huge presence.