• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I am now just being introduced to a grind band that focuses on Troma. Where have they been all my life? lol

Last edited:

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting:
Tulip sounds like metal from the future — more specifically, metal that comes from the cyberpunk future so many movies, games, and books from the 1980s and 1990s envisioned for our time. As this Minneapolis band grinds forth with square-peg-in-round-hole timings and rhythms, they maintain a brute, industrial force like that of Author & Punisher. But Tulip answers another question: what would happen if Meshuggah and The Locust formed a technological cult with music as its form of prayer?

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FUCKING HELL that new Periphery album! I'm not even done with the first track and its already blown my mind. Those vocal melodies that start around the 12min mark are unreal!

Physical copy ordered of course! :)

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I like the new Periphery enough but it doesn't hold a candle to Juggernaut and I think I prefer PIII more, too. The vocal melodies on this one are pretty below par. Maybe that'll change with more listens though.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The mix on Sattelites is sublime. I can almost hear v-neck's facial expressions as he strikes those toms and cymbals.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
This is sweet. Sounds kinda like No Redeeming Social Value but more thrashy.

Sacred Reich - Don't Do It Donnie

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, dumb metalhead elitism.

Having an opinion does not equal elitism. I'll disagree with Andrew as I rather like Load, but in no way was he pounding his chest proclaiming "anybody who likes these is not a 'real' metalhead like me".

Very hard to find real elitism around the metal scene and it is normally used incorrectly as a toss around word people call people whose taste does not align with theirs on forums like this

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Having an opinion does not equal elitism. I'll disagree with Andrew as I rather like Load, but in no way was he pounding his chest proclaiming "anybody who likes these is not a 'real' metalhead like me".

Very hard to find real elitism around the metal scene and it is normally used incorrectly as a toss around word people call people whose taste does not align with theirs on forums like this
Their last two albums were actually good.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

There's a difference between not liking it and saying it shouldn't be "canon."

There's a lot of elitism in metal. People try to define bands/albums out of it all the time or belittle people who like certain bands/albums. They fill up comment sections on bands that have continued on and changed their sound. Too many metal heads have a hard time letting go.

The other thing is that metal heads seem to only define metal as good and if it's not or it ventures it's not good. Metallica's a good example. I don't know how anyone can say the black album is bad. That's just nuts. Maybe it's less metal. That's fine. Maybe you don't like it. Also fine. But it's not bad because it's not metal. Absolutely tons of people got into Metallica with that album or other ones. Not that everything is always good, but metalheads have a hard time judging something by what it's trying to be rather than what they want.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Their last two albums were actually good.

So was St. Anger

There's a difference between not liking it and saying it shouldn't be "canon."

There's a lot of elitism in metal. People try to define bands/albums out of it all the time or belittle people who like certain bands/albums. They fill up comment sections on bands that have continued on and changed their sound. Too many metal heads have a hard time letting go.

He's just taking the piss, again, not something I'd define as elitism.

belittle people who like certain bands/albums.

Again, this is a forum dweller/youtube comment section phenomenon and it rarely will show up at festivals or shows. Ironically, I was called an elitist in a Slipknot thread on here for expressing an opinion and the person who did so said I had shit taste in music, by definition, being an actual metal elitist in the process.

They fill up comment sections on bands that have continued on and changed their sound.

It is okay to enjoy one era of a bands sound and express disappointment in another, this is not being elitist, this is having differing taste. If I say I love Sepultura up to Arise and do not enjoy the rest of their discography, or I say I only enjoy albums with Max and I do not feel the rest of their discography is really Sepultura, that is fine, it is an opinion. Now if I were to say anybody who listens or enjoys album post-max and their opinions are shit, then that is classic forum dweller elitism, which I have rarely seen at shows I've been to.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realize how elitist most metalheads were until I tried posting in certain communities with the username "deftones r cool"

Didn't take long before I was dogpiled on by elitist kvlt metalheads or whatever the fuck

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, doesn't seem any more arbitrary than the site normally is.

Too many metal heads have a hard time letting go.
True, but also too many bands (and not just in metal) have a hard time not trading off their past. At a certain point, whether it's due to lineup changes or changes in sound, more bands should probably just call it quits and start a new project.

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Just to tangent here, but thank you. It's a really solid hard rock album that explores a lot of musical ideas in a surprisingly competent and diverse manner. Hell, I'd probably rank it above the Black Album.

Reload is trash, though.

Load IS better than Black Album, it is rather long in the tooth and could lose 2X4, Mama Said, and Ronnie and it would be a perfect album, James at his most experimental and lyricallydiverse. Reload has two top-shelf songs: Fixxxer, Low Man's Lyric, which both should have been on Load, the rest is only okay, but I can still dig it.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Load IS better than Black Album, it is rather long in the tooth and could lose 2X4, Mama Said, and Ronnie and it would be a perfect album, James at his most experimental and lyricallydiverse. Reload has two top-shelf songs: Fixxxer, Low Man's Lyric, which both should have been on Load, the rest is only okay, but I can still dig it.
Yeah, I'm with you on those, but I just couldn't get into the rest of Reload.

One thing about Mama Said is that I really thought it had a chance of being a beautiful little acoustic break if it didn't have the goddamn excessive country twang to it. I've heard solo renditions of it and they're much better.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm with you on those, but I just couldn't get into the rest of Reload.

One thing about Mama Said is that I really thought it had a chance of being a beautiful little acoustic break if it didn't have the goddamn excessive country twang to it. I've heard solo renditions of it and they're much better.

Also every time I hear Mama Said I'm reminded of when James was trying to look like Iva Davies from Icehouse

tumblr_inline_nct9985dXe1scj4sx.jpg

davies.jpg

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know how anyone can say the black album is bad. That's just nuts. Maybe it's less metal. That's fine. Maybe you don't like it. Also fine. But it's not bad because it's not metal.
This post kinda went places....
The black album is bad. It's a metal album (watered down metal-lite kinda, but still metal). But it's bad. It has like 1 good song, Wherever I May Roam, and 1 OK song, Unforgiven, with the rest being either forgettable, or outright awful. It's level of metalness (lol) is unrelated to its quality.

I guess you can call me "nuts". Since it seems more acceptable to insult people for having different tastes, than calling an album bad. :)
Again, this is a forum dweller/youtube comment section phenomenon and it rarely will show up at festivals or shows. Ironically, I was called an elitist in a Slipknot thread on here for expressing an opinion and the person who did so said I had shit taste in music, by definition, being an actual metal elitist in the process.
Yep that's the greatest irony is it? Call an album or a band "bad" is considered mean and elitist, but insulting people (and their taste) is totally OK because... reasons. It's mind-blowing.

Also I will shamelessly defend (almost) every Rotting Christ album.
Ah... The best joke was that we changed "Greece" (and themes like "Greek mythology") to "South Macedonia", in light of the recent North Macedonia country (formerly FYROM) re-naming. We also renamed North Macedonia to "Macedonia".

...Our Greek members did not find that funny. But I sure did. :D

I mean, doesn't seem any more arbitrary than the site normally is.
...Really now

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Recently stumbled across this album, "dead as dreams" by a black metal band called Weakling

Hot damn.

Weakling were great. Some projects from some of the members worth checking out are The Gault, Dispirit and Asunder.

Dispirit

Asunder

The Gault aren't really metal despite the label that released their album years and years ago, but it is worth giving a listen.

Oct 28, 2017
Weakling were great. Some projects from some of the members worth checking out are The Gault, Dispirit and Asunder.

Dispirit

Asunder

The Gault aren't really metal despite the label that released their album years and years ago, but it is worth giving a listen.

Wow neat! Thanks! Will give these a listen when I'm free later

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
The black album is bad. It's a metal album (watered down metal-lite kinda, but still metal). But it's bad. It has like 1 good song, Wherever I May Roam, and 1 OK song, Unforgiven, with the rest being either forgettable, or outright awful. It's level of metalness (lol) is unrelated to its quality.

I guess you can call me "nuts". Since it seems more acceptable to insult people for having different tastes, than calling an album bad. :)

Yep that's the greatest irony is it? Call an album or a band "bad" is considered mean and elitist, but insulting people (and their taste) is totally OK because... reasons. It's mind-blowing.

You could change "nuts" to "wrong" and his message is still the same and no longer insulting you.

Some of y'all sound like you want free reign to shit on something and not be called out on it.

I remember that Slipknot thread lol.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
100%, the handling of sub-genres and which bands are included has always been arbitrary non-sense.

Not sure I can agree with you there as I find sub-genres are important in metal. Though I will fight tooth and nail for Praying Mantis to get their due and be included, at least up to their first album, which is none more inoffensive than Rainbow or Def Leppard both of who are included

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AtB released a new song yesterday btw. No idea what's going on with this mix lol.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
You could change "nuts" to "wrong" and his message is still the same and no longer insulting you.
Yes, if you change a word for a non insulting one, it's no longer insulting. Who knew? ;)

I'm not freaking out over calling someone "nuts", mind you, that's really mild. But come on now, this is a really weak argument.

Some of y'all sound like you want free reign to shit on something and not be called out on it.

I remember that Slipknot thread lol.
So do I. Bitanator commented on bands, then a guy made it personal and attacked him.

"Free reign to shit on something", I mean... yes? Why not? Define "called out" here. Opinions on music can be disagreed with without resorting to personal attacks and name-calling.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure I can agree with you there as I find sub-genres are important in metal.
I meant how certain sub-genres on the site are handled/regulated. It's probably getting a little too into the weeds for a thread like this, but for example:

1-man goregrind project Gruesome Bodyparts Autopsy is included on the site. The band that he is clearly emulating, Last Days of Humanity, isn't. Or even better yet, the dude's other 1-man goregrind project, Infant Myiasis, where he's still emulating LDoH, also isn't on the site. How only one of his LDoH-worship bands is "metal" enough to be included is rather confusing.

In some instances, I'd assume it comes down to moderation issues. Or the blurring of lines between genres confusing things. It's probably way more systemic than that though. Why bother including a sub-genre like goregrind to begin with, yet not allow one of the most popular and influential bands in the genre (LDoH)? Is someone really making arbitrary distinctions about how Lymphatic Phlegm is acceptable, but LDoH isn't? Given the fact Cock and Ball Torture aren't listed, even though they basically transitioned to being a death metal band, it's way more likely (to me at least) that it's just weird elitist gatekeeping.

Whatever though. It's a decent enough resource, even with the weird omissions.

Bonus band that isn't metal enough, but everyone should listen to:

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It sucks when you're a 28 year old man, and still enjoy your favorite bands from high school, like Cannibal Corpse, yet listening to The Bleeding in your car on your way to Walgreen's, you can't help but feel uncomfortable during tracks like Stripped, Raped, and Strangled; and She Was Asking For It. Something which just seemed so absurd and ridiculous (like a horror movie) to me as a teen is now just the cringiest edge-lord shit.

Nice to know I've grown as a person, I guess.

Don't even get me started on like Anal Cunt or GG Allin.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, if you change a word for a non insulting one, it's no longer insulting. Who knew? ;)

I'm not freaking out over calling someone "nuts", mind you, that's really mild. But come on now, this is a really weak argument.

So do I. Bitanator commented on bands, then a guy made it personal and attacked him.

"Free reign to shit on something", I mean... yes? Why not? Define "called out" here. Opinions on music can be disagreed with without resorting to personal attacks and name-calling.

Someone that does not like Slipknot decides to click on a Slipknot thread and proceeds to dunk on an entire era of metal. You back him up. All of that is fine. But where my problem lies, and what I mean by you not wanting to be called out, is calling other people elitist and not accepting any elitism yourself. Unless I'm wrong about that last part.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks when you're a 28 year old man, and still enjoy your favorite bands from high school, like Cannibal Corpse, yet listening to The Bleeding in your car on your way to Walgreen's, you can't help but feel uncomfortable during tracks like Stripped, Raped, and Strangled; and She Was Asking For It. Something which just seemed so absurd and ridiculous (like a horror movie) to me as a teen is now just the cringiest edge-lord shit.

Nice to know I've grown as a person, I guess.

Don't even get me started on like Anal Cunt or GG Allin.
On sort of that note. Its hard for me to listen to Pantera anymore since Phil is such an awful person.

Oct 28, 2017
^ I feel the metal scene could benefit from cleansing a lot of the toxicity within it

I'm so sick of metal 'tough guys' who don't know how to wash their elbows or trim their finger nails properly.

Most metal shows smell worse than a Smash Bros tourney at a Disc Replay

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
^ I feel the metal scene could benefit from cleansing a lot of the toxicity within it

I'm so sick of metal 'tough guys' who don't know how to wash their elbows or trim their finger nails properly.

Most metal shows smell worse than a Smash Bros tourney at a Disc Replay

You kinda just described nearly all places where people gather, hard pressed not to be inundated by the stench of skunk weed and anal grease as even one bad apple there poisons the bunch.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

To me there's a giant difference between "I don't like thing" and "thing is bad." Something like the black album is ridiculously critically and fan lauded alike. It makes top all time album lists from publications far and wide. It's objectively not bad. I personally wouldn't put it that high in Metallica's discography but I can't call it bad. It just feels like one of those edgy things where someone tries to say The Beatles were bad. Like, no, they weren't. It's ok if you don't like them but don't try to prescribe that as a quality to something like that.

And maybe your opinion isn't actively swayed by it being metal or not, lighter or not, but I really don't get how you can deny that's an active issue in the metal community with a lot of bands. Bands get accusations of selling out, not being heavy enough, not sounding like their old days, etc. People cry that bands should change their name or even lament them still existing.

Look this all started with a comment that saying albums should be "non-canon," which to me just touches on that mentality that "oh this stuff isn't metal enough so it's not 'real.'"

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
To me there's a giant difference between "I don't like thing" and "thing is bad." Something like the black album is ridiculously critically and fan lauded alike. It makes top all time album lists from publications far and wide. It's objectively not bad. I personally wouldn't put it that high in Metallica's discography but I can't call it bad. It just feels like one of those edgy things where someone tries to say The Beatles were bad. Like, no, they weren't. It's ok if you don't like them but don't try to prescribe that as a quality to something like that.

And maybe your opinion isn't actively swayed by it being metal or not, lighter or not, but I really don't get how you can deny that's an active issue in the metal community with a lot of bands. Bands get accusations of selling out, not being heavy enough, not sounding like their old days, etc. People cry that bands should change their name or even lament them still existing.

Look this all started with a comment that saying albums should be "non-canon," which to me just touches on that mentality that "oh this stuff isn't metal enough so it's not 'real.'"
Yeah that's what drives me up the wall about the internet is the hyperbole. Like people saying Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight is a terrible movie. Like no sorry you may not like it but clearly it's not a terrible movie. Just say "I'm not a fan" and move on.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Sorry but I don't agree at all. "Objectively not bad" is... not a thing. All tastes are subjective. And something being popular is not remotely an indicator of quality. You will not ever convince me with an argument of popularity.

You take this far too seriously IMO. When I read Andrew's comment I just chuckled because it's obvious what he meant; that he intensely dislikes post-AJFA albums and considers them wildly inferior, so he used hyperbolic rhetoric to say so. That's fine. Even if I didn't agree, I can't imagine someone getting upset over an amusing quip about albums being canon or not. I obviously do agree about those Metallica albums in this case, but not always, take Therion for example. Some might say "everything after Symphony Masses is non-canon!", and though I wildly disagree, I'd just laugh and say "sure" because it's not that serious. They don't like symphonic metal (I do, Theli is my favourite) and only like the death metal era and that's what they mean by such a jab. That's it. Who cares?

I mean sure, there are trve kvlt warriors out there who say things like that without a shred of irony or tongue-in-cheek, and take themselves far too seriously and will actively sneer on you for liking the Metallica S/T, and by all means laugh at them, but Andrew's comment was totally innocuous to me and knowing him I'm very certain that he doesn't care if you like the S/T. :)

Bitanator and I disagree on albums all the time and we just rib each other (like when I say "you are dead to me" if he praises an album I hate or trashes an album I like, I'm sure you realize I am not being literal).