• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Bands get accusations of selling out, not being heavy enough, not sounding like their old days, etc. People cry that bands should change their name or even lament them still existing.
The discourse needs to be way less hyperbolic and reactionary and shitty, but also sometimes....

Morbidart-IDI.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I can agree with you there as I find sub-genres are important in metal. Though I will fight tooth and nail for Praying Mantis to get their due and be included, at least up to their first album, which is none more inoffensive than Rainbow or Def Leppard both of who are included

I like Praying Mantis and I presume Rainbow was only included due to the Dio connection, but this song is undoubtedly heavier than all three of those songs put together:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I like Praying Mantis and I presume Rainbow was only included due to the Dio connection, but this song is undoubtedly heavier than all three of those songs put together:

They are still a very edge case regardless and I love Rainbow Dio/Post-Dio and I fight with their metal classification too. I get the arguments against Praying Mantis, but I always thought if a band released at least one metal album or demo/single, ect.. they can get added. That riff in "Praying Mantis - Praying Matis" is pure NWOBHM, and yet we have Marseille with an entry, who are just as suspect as Praying Mantis.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but I don't agree at all. "Objectively not bad" is... not a thing. All tastes are subjective. And something being popular is not remotely an indicator of quality. You will not ever convince me with an argument of popularity.

You take this far too seriously IMO. When I read Andrew's comment I just chuckled because it's obvious what he meant; that he intensely dislikes post-AJFA albums and considers them wildly inferior, so he used hyperbolic rhetoric to say so. That's fine. Even if I didn't agree, I can't imagine someone getting upset over an amusing quip about albums being canon or not. I obviously do agree about those Metallica albums in this case, but not always, take Therion for example. Some might say "everything after Symphony Masses is non-canon!", and though I wildly disagree, I'd just laugh and say "sure" because it's not that serious. They don't like symphonic metal (I do, Theli is my favourite) and only like the death metal era and that's what they mean by such a jab. That's it. Who cares?

I mean sure, there are trve kvlt warriors out there who say things like that without a shred of irony or tongue-in-cheek, and take themselves far too seriously and will actively sneer on you for liking the Metallica S/T, and by all means laugh at them, but Andrew's comment was totally innocuous to me and knowing him I'm very certain that he doesn't care if you like the S/T. :)

Pretty much. Truth to be told I pop in that album quite a few times, but I find it forgettable. It's not an abomination of music by any means, but like you said, it's pretty forgettable Pop Metal. That's pretty much it.

Don't take it too seriously RDreamer, I was being tongue in cheek like Morrigan explained. Though, I do believe Metallica's albums past Justice are just blah, it's canon and I consider it as such (as do most people).

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I've found it, the most "tru metal" Douchebag attire.

71lzd6CH47L._AC_UY700_.jpg

A screen printed denim longsleeve with pre-ripped jeans and Pit Bull rings

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
So, I was taking a break from jamming the new Devin Townsend record and browsing a music site I've been a member of for more than a decade now and saw a review for this little known band called Brutus. Out of curiosity, I listened to one of the tracks and now I can't stop listening to these guys and gal. The fact that the vocalist is also the drummer and performs both live, is kinda blowing my god-damn mind. Now, I'm gonna have to put Devy on the backburner for a few days/weeks.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Tomorrow is Baroness, Deafheaven, and Zeal & Ardor at the Starland Ballroom. Excited!

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
So, I was taking a break from jamming the new Devin Townsend record and browsing a music site I've been a member of for more than a decade now and saw a review for this little known band called Brutus. Out of curiosity, I listened to one of the tracks and now I can't stop listening to these guys and gal. The fact that the vocalist is also the drummer and performs both live, is kinda blowing my god-damn mind. Now, I'm gonna have to put Devy on the backburner for a few days/weeks.

Welcome to the party. Both Burst and Nest are incredible albums and Stefanie is an absolute beast live.

I've posted about the band in this thread multiple times and been ignored but as we've established, the thread was a mistake and is nothing but thrash >:(

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the party. Both Burst and Nest are incredible albums and Stefanie is an absolute beast live.

I've posted about the band in this thread multiple times and been ignored but as we've established, the thread was a mistake and is nothing but thrash >:(
Since I wrote that post, I bought both the albums on Bandcamp and ordered 3 T-shirts. Lol. I'm in love.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah. New single from Enforcer rocks. edit: Just an update to official video.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Man...gilead media getting me hyped. I'm not going to preorder anything until I hear a track but they announced yesterday

Yellow Eyes - Rare Field Ceiling
False - Portent
Fall of Rauros - Patterns in Mythology

With vinyl preorders available as of midnight

and in non-gilead media news dysrhythmia is done tracking their new album. some of the in studio teasers are exciting/solid

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day:

Here comes a song from Hatesphere's first album, that is a cover of another danish band called Disneyland After Dark (D-A-D, after The Mouse's lawyers caught a whiff), which started out playing cow-punk and transitioned into Hard Rock.

Hatesphere - Ill Will

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Yellow Eyes - Rare Field Ceiling

lol what a Yellow Eyes title

hyped. I've been listening to their last album quite a bit recently and it's a pretty big step up from previous stuff. I wonder if they'll raise the bar again.

Edit: it has a "Mick Barr guitar improvisation at the end of Side A." haven't listened to anything Mick Barr's done in years.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
every Yellow Eyes title is so perfect to me. The Solid Chime of Matching Bone with Harder Strenth, phew. I agree that ITR is their best LP but I rank Stillicide and The Desert Mourns very highly. Heat from Other Days is probably my favorite song of theirs. IMO their whole discography is a USBM blessing. Gilead is still planning on putting out the EP compilation this year, a year late.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC I thought those YE eps were basically 50/50. Each had an incredible track and a somewhat forgettable one, but it's a been a while.

I agree there's something special about them. They might be the only currently active USBM band I'm really into at the moment. Can't wait to hear what's next.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
it's Will's way of playing guitar and his understanding of chords, the way I see it. He's actually a composer by trade, I found out in a recent interview. I just think he's found a way to work out genuinely fresh melodic ideas in a way that isn't forced or falling into the explicitly avant-garde territory which is why they appeal to me so much as a "straight" black metal band.

Yellow Eyes and Arizmenda are my top two in USBM and it will probably remain that way for a long time.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
So this is pretty awesome:
Moon Tooth - Trust

It's pretty much Nickelback and Protest the Hero mixed together, which in my book spells a good time

And then there is Nekrasov, which for a Black metal-band sounds absolutely brutal. It kinda scratches the same itch as Anaal Nathrakh.
Nekrasov - Through Blind Acceptance the Nightmare Continues

And War Curse, because War Curse is a rollicking good time.
War Curse - Serpent

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Saften That War Curse track is great. Guess I'll be checking out their EP next. edit: EP not clicking with me. Ah well.

Last edited:

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to let everybody know I'm seeing Sunn O))).

On 4/20.

In a fucking cave.

No, an actual fucking cave. Underground. On 4/20. Sunn O))).

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Saw Zeal & Ardor, Baroness and Deafheaven last night. Great show. Good god, the vocalist from Deafheaven sure can scream.

T5JVxCB.jpg

sqhCRig.jpg

Vtu8Zb6.jpg

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Förgjord (FIN) - Ilmestykset

full album stream for the new Förgjord LP to be released in about two weeks. As always, raw, violent, and ultra catchy.

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Went back a few pages and didn't see this.

New Onslaught, I was ready to be disappointed but it was actually pretty good.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
That Onslaught sounds kinda like Slipknot, maybe it is the way the singer draws out some of his words. Makes it sound like Corey Taylor, or maybe it's vice versa considering the bands respective ages. Anyway, a very awesome song.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Scavenger of Human Sorrow and Spirit Crusher are some of my favorite songs to play on bass. Such a great album.