• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to let everybody know I'm seeing Sunn O))).

On 4/20.

In a fucking cave.

No, an actual fucking cave. Underground. On 4/20. Sunn O))).

Careful man, that cave might be in danger of collapsing

The new Inter Arma LP comes out Friday and is Stereogum's album of the week (their last LP was their #1 metal record of 2016)

https://www.stereogum.com/2039006/inter-arma-sulphur-english-review/franchises/album-of-the-week/

One of my most anticipated albums this year. They played a few songs off of it when I saw them in early Feb and they were really good.

Tomorrow I see Sinmara/Suffering Hour which should be great

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Technical death metal isn't really my thing but fuck Pavor put out some pretty good shit.

Landfermann who did vocals for Bethlehem's Dictius te Necare is actually on bass here and is quite a maniac.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Song of The Day

Deus Vult - In the Rain

One of the gems of the Ohio thrash scene that has yet to be gifted a proper remaster of their material, Deus Vult was a highly energetic power/thrash band that compares very favorably with the likes of Powermad and produce proper power/thrash. This song is from their 1990 EP Soul Assault. Enjoy!

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
The new Pelican gets better and better the more I listen to it. Listen to it loud!

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
What shows/concerts do you have coming up soon? Any big festival planned? I've been so busy I cannot make the time to go lately

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What shows/concerts do you have coming up soon? Any big festival planned? I've been so busy I cannot make the time to go lately
Haven't been to one in months actually. I think my last show was.... Dance with the Dead in October? Synthwave, not even metal, lol.

But I got this coming up this year:

Trapped Under Ice (Metalian, Cauchemar) in like 10 days
Slough Feg in early June
Ozzy in mid-June (postponed to next year, Ozzy got injured apparently)
Iron Maiden in August
Demons & Wizards in September

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been to one in months actually. I think my last show was.... Dance with the Dead in October? Synthwave, not even metal, lol.

But I got this coming up this year:

Trapped Under Ice (Metalian, Cauchemar) in like 10 days
Slough Feg in early June
Ozzy in mid-June (postponed to next year, Ozzy got injured apparently)
Iron Maiden in August
Demons & Wizards in September

Think I have Maiden in September? Forgot about it actually. Need to make time to hit up the Oakland Metro in a couple weeks

Shane

Oct 25, 2017

Metal -
Kalmah end of April
Headining to Ottawa in May for Slayer (actually don't really care about this, more about seeing friends)
Gloryhammer/Aether Realm (this will be awesome
Iron Maiden
Demons and Wizards
Enforcer/Warbringer (this will rock too)

Not metal..
FM-84
Outland Toronto

That's it for now

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking into some bands that are playing at Brutal Assault this year and are currently listening to Zuriaake / 葬尸湖, a Chinese atmospheric Black Metal band. They're sounding really nice, some folksy influences from Summoning (just turned Chinese), some from Québécois Black Metal à la Forteresse and lots from depressive Black Metal in general (but thankfully not the kind that grates on me).

I especially like their 20-minute epic on their most recent album:

And speaking of Summoning, they seem to be one of the better ways of seeing a Summoning song played live:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
gonna see Cirrhus and Bone Awl later this month in Oakland, though I'm trying to work out their LA show instead since I want to see Oldowan Gash, a killer new USBM entity.

Yellow Eyes, Dispirit, and The Ruins of Fucking Beverast in Austin hopefully. If not, Oakland date without Yellow Eyes.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
It's looking pretty light for me this year, unfortunately. Central Florida seems to be really hit or miss with tours. Some years, there will be tons where I'm going to shows every month (sometimes multiple shows a week), and then other years are like this one.

Flotsam & Jetsam in May - I haven't really followed them for many years, but used to really dig them when I was in high school 25 years ago.
Baroness in August
ProgPower in September - Lots of bands, including quite a few first US shows
Amorphis in October

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
It's looking pretty light for me this year, unfortunately. Central Florida seems to be really hit or miss with tours. Some years, there will be tons where I'm going to shows every month (sometimes multiple shows a week), and then other years are like this one.

Flotsam & Jetsam in May - I haven't really followed them for many years, but used to really dig them when I was in high school 25 years ago.

Really professional on stage, stand next to their guitarist, he is so amazing live.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Not much coming to Winnipeg, other than Maiden in August. Saw Hypocrisy & Fleshgod Apocalypse last Sunday, which was pretty good.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
New Gloryhammer single is great.

Also I see that Iced Earth finally have Framing Armageddon and The Glorious Burden up on Spotify.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
A friend of mine just recommended this Black Metal album to me, and while it's not completely to my taste, I find the more atmospheric and twisted parts very appealing, like the song that begins around 5:50.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Fans of Japanese Melodic Death Metal should check out Devil Within. Female fronted melodeath with a lineup of members from my favorite groups.

Vocal: U (MergingMoon)
Guitar: KENSUKE (UNDEAD CORPORATION)
Guitar: KOUTA (THOUSAND EYES)
Bass: YOJI (AFTERZERO,HELLHOUND,MASTERMIND)
Drums: YU-TO (UNDEAD CORPORATION)

I'm very excited for the album coming out soon. Preview below~

This got delivered today and holy shit it's unrelenting! Melodic yet brutal as fuck!

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I've been living under a rock for some time musically speaking since my son was born 15 months ago and I just discovered Jinjer and their 18 million fucking views video for the song Pisces. And, fuck, that song actually deserves those views, it's like musical perfection. Then I listened to some other of their stuff and it felt a bit all over the place, so I'm not sure if the band is really that good or if they just had a super inspired moment. What's the metal era consensus on jinjer?

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
This got delivered today and holy shit it's unrelenting! Melodic yet brutal as fuck!

Ah! That's good to hear! I'm excited. I just saw its up on spotify so I can listen to it while waiting for my copy. Yay~

I've been living under a rock for some time musically speaking since my son was born 15 months ago and I just discovered Jinjer and their 18 million fucking views video for the song Pisces. And, fuck, that song actually deserves those views, it's like musical perfection. Then I listened to some other of their stuff and it felt a bit all over the place, so I'm not sure if the band is really that good or if they just had a super inspired moment. What's the metal era consensus on jinjer?

I'm not really Jinjer's target audience I guess, but their previous album was pretty good. "I Speak Astronomy" is a standout track and I really love that song. They're a bit all over the place. They're more progressive/technical I suppose, so if you get behind them just doing weird things and less core-friendly stuff, they're a bit easier to wrap your head around.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Pisces is amazingly good.

Everything else is really pretty boring as hell.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I think its a cool idea to start giving out titles (sure, let's go with that) to more cities for their contributions to Metal. I'd love to see more cities recognized for their contributions to the genre.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Not my cup of tea, but they are pretty good live.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
"In Montreal, we have Cryptopsy and Cataclysm and Despised Icon and all sorts of bands that have really shone internationally."

Nothing says "excellence" quite like Despised Icon and what Cryptopsy and Kataklysm turned into...

But they made None So Vile, so all of their blunders don't matter at the end of the day.

Oct 27, 2017
Shouting out Despised Icon over Gorguts? Shame.

A quick perusal over the Metal-Archives listings for Montreal, Obliveon is the only other band that really jumps out to me as being exceptional after Cryptopsy, Gorguts, and Kataklysm.