• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Whoa, Gorguts is from Montreal. Completely forgot about that.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, MA says they are from Montreal, but Wikipedia says they're originally from a neighboring city. Maybe that's why Despised Icon got the nod.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting about them. I wouldn't have heard about them otherwise!

You're welcome! I'm loving the album and very happy with it. You can really hear the Touhou Doujin Circle roots in the guitarwork and it makes me so nostalgic.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with her or her other band MergingMoon, but the vocalist U is one of my favorites, she's wonderful. I do wish she'd use her full range because she's incredible, but I can see her not wanting to have a competing sound between MM and DW. In MergingMoon, she uses low gutturals, high screams, harsh growls (like in Devil Within), banshee wails, sweeping cleans, and soft singing all throughout songs. There's a lot of brutality and beauty and I'd highly recommend picking up their album Kamikakushi, as well as their latest single from last year Gravity of Spadille. You can find them around (iTunes), but not on spotify. Their only spotify presence is during the 2 year period when U left and they got some guy to replace her and kinda blunted their style a bit. The guy left and U rejoined in 2015, so the eN eP isn't as good as what came before and after it IMO.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
:(

Michiel Eikenaar, Vocalist of Nihill, Dead at 42

Michiel Eikenaar—vocalist of Dutch black metal bands Nihill and Dodecahedron—has died, label Seasons of Mist announced today and Eikenaar's bandmate Vincent Koreman confirms to Pitchfork. The cause of death was cancer, Koreman tells Pitchfork. He was 42. "Death comes for all of us," Koreman wrote in a statement. "It comes for the strongest, the brightest and the most loved, and Michiel was all of those things and much more."

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
"In Montreal, we have Cryptopsy and Cataclysm and Despised Icon and all sorts of bands that have really shone internationally."

Nothing says "excellence" quite like Despised Icon and what Cryptopsy and Kataklysm turned into...
Yeah those examples are really awful lol.

Concert and scene-wise we're pretty awesome though.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
What shows/concerts do you have coming up soon? Any big festival planned? I've been so busy I cannot make the time to go lately
Currently only Metallica in August and Destroyer 666 in October

I will switch my job in next two months and this means I had to cancel plans for Metaldays festival this year (but lineup is pretty weak this year and I was interested only in Demons&Wizards).

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
New Gloryhammer single is great.

Also I see that Iced Earth finally have Framing Armageddon and The Glorious Burden up on Spotify.

I'm going to be honest I miss Ripper Owens on Iced Earth vocals. Glorious Burden was my introduction to Iced Earth and between him and Barlow, I never warmed up to Stu Block. I know Iced Earth has a lot of problematic oo-rah elements but Burnt Offereings/ Dark Saga are some of my favorite albums.

This summer I have

• Avatar / Devin Townsend Acoustic
  • Slayer / Amon Amarth
  • Ozzy / Megadeth I hope the makeup show still has Megadeth or an equivalent opener
  • Iron Maiden
  • Slipnkot / Gojira
  • Demons & Wizards / Tyr

I'm super pumped to see Demons & Wizards since I doubt I'll ever see Iced Earth OR Blind Guardian live given their touring schedules/locations. Having seen Iron Maiden twice live already I'm less excited for them. Especially since it seems like Bruce's vocals don't hold up live (despite the rest of the band sounding record perfect).

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be honest I miss Ripper Owens on Iced Earth vocals. Glorious Burden was my introduction to Iced Earth and between him and Barlow, I never warmed up to Stu Block. I know Iced Earth has a lot of problematic oo-rah elements but Burnt Offereings/ Dark Saga are some of my favorite albums.

This summer I have

• Avatar / Devin Townsend Acoustic
  • Slayer / Amon Amarth
  • Ozzy / Megadeth I hope the makeup show still has Megadeth or an equivalent opener
  • Iron Maiden
  • Slipnkot / Gojira
  • Demons & Wizards / Tyr

I'm super pumped to see Demons & Wizards since I doubt I'll ever see Iced Earth OR Blind Guardian live given their touring schedules/locations. Having seen Iron Maiden twice live already I'm less excited for them. Especially since it seems like Bruce's vocals don't hold up live (despite the rest of the band sounding record perfect).
so jealous you get to see Avatar. Dudes are great live

Shane

Oct 25, 2017

I was sad when Ripper was kicked out too. Still think Gettysburg is the best thing they've done.

Also, enjoy Dance with the Dead at that Avatar/DT show.

My concert list also now includes Striker/Holy Grail.

Oct 28, 2017
I actually own an Iced Earth t-shirt, but can't remember for the life of me how I got it.

They're an odd band though. Their entire catalog spans between "hey, that's pretty good!", and "gah, this is so corny"

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Brian Evans, guitarist for Eternal Suffering, passed yesterday. Salute to the origins of ignorance.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Went to Hell's Heroes II over the weekend, mainly for Visigoth. God they killed it, such a fun band, and such lovable dorks. Met everyone during their soundcheck and talked to a few during the day as well. Cauldron also killed it. Didn't stay for Power Trip cause I'm old and they started their set at 11:45. Great time tho.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I can't not think about Dark Fate of Atlantis when I see the Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC name. They should have just went all out and named it Dark Fate of Atlantis after the rad as fuck Rhapsody masterpiece.

Looking out for a Dark Mantis quest.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
New Full of Hell track. Paulo from Copremesis, Encenathrakh, Gath Šmânê, etc. does guest vocals.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
That period of time in like 2005/2006-ish where Despised Icon were on basically every death metal tour in the U.S. was pretty bad. Think a few of those were with Cryptopsy, so...makes sense, I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Both Book of Suffering EPs kick major ass and Despised Icon is one of the only great deathcore bands fight me
animosity was also a great deathcore band and I personally enjoyed their work more than DI (though I liked DI too). I wish I got to see both bands more than twice before they broke up :O

I'm actually curious what they'd sound like today if they were still together especially since they were only 21 years old when they released their last album...

navene koperweis ended up going to animals as leaders, the faceless, and now entheos (fleshwrought with jonny davy was fantastic too)
chase fraser went to decrepit birth and continuum
evan brewer and his work with chris letchford, tosin abasi, and his solo albums

a small reunion would be cool :P

Last edited:

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I can't believe how much I've come around to liking Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs (Orphaned Land)
I didn't care for it at all when it came out but now I can't stop listening to it everyday for a few months now

I still think Mabool and ORwarriOR are absolute masterpieces in their own league but this album is fucking great.
'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' is my jam.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't believe how much I've come around to liking Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs (Orphaned Land)
I didn't care for it at all when it came out but now I can't stop listening to it everyday for a few months now

I still think Mabool and ORwarriOR are absolute masterpieces in their own league but this album is fucking great.
'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' is my jam.

It's really awesome. Ended up my number 2 last year. I might like it a tiny bit more than Mabool and ORwarriOR. Mabool sounds kinda bad nowadays. The production and mixing just isn't great. ORwarriOR just feels fucking long. It's great, but so much to get through.

Also I really love All is One a ton.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I cannot stop listening to the new Inferi album (actually a rerecording of an old album with their current lineup):

If you're a tech-death or melodeath fan then you gotta listen to this! Great bass tone too!

Fans of Japanese Melodic Death Metal should check out Devil Within. Female fronted melodeath with a lineup of members from my favorite groups.

Yo this album is totally sick. Love the bass tone. Thanks for the heads up!

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
How have I been missing out on Enforcer for so long? I bought From Beyond on Monday and have been jamming it everyday this week!

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stop listening to the new Inferi album (actually a rerecording of an old album with their current lineup):

If you're a tech-death or melodeath fan then you gotta listen to this! Great bass tone too!

Yo this album is totally sick. Love the bass tone. Thanks for the heads up!

Yay! Glad more people gave it a listen.
Also the new/old Inferi album is great. It's a lot to unpack, much like the previous one, but it's incredibly brutal and creative.

I imagine you've already listened to Shadow of Intent? If not, "Reclaimer" is one of my favorite albums of all time, I think.
Also, I think Allegaeon's newest album should be up tomorrow.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Yay! Glad more people gave it a listen.
Also the new/old Inferi album is great. It's a lot to unpack, much like the previous one, but it's incredibly brutal and creative.

I imagine you've already listened to Shadow of Intent? If not, "Reclaimer" is one of my favorite albums of all time, I think.
Also, I think Allegaeon's newest album should be up tomorrow.

Not familiar with Shadow of Intent but I'm listening to them right now and I'm liking what I'm hearing!
I'm definitely psyched for that new Allegaeon. We truly are living in the golden of era of "technical melodeath" lol

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the day:

Dawn of Demise - Hate Takes Its Form

I don't care that almost every single danish metal album from 2000 to 2010 has the same sound, production-wise. They all sound absolutely brutal.