• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ALSO AURAS IS ALIVE!

Not their strongest work imo but I'm still hyped for their new album. Just love their style.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for spam but this could very well be a contender for AOTY and I'm the biggest Periphery fanboy I know.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Never listened to them before but I'm really digging the new Allegaeon album. Good balance between technicality and songwriting.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
New Allegaeon is starting off incredibly. Very eager to hear the whole thing many times today.

Never listened to them before but I'm really digging the new Allegaeon album. Good balance between technicality and songwriting.

They're great, the previous album was wondrous. Check it out sometime as well!

coma

Oct 28, 2017
"New" Internal Rot out on Blastasfuk. Australian grindcore. Members of Agents of Abhorrence, Contaminated, Incinerated, Super Fun Happy Slide, etc. Recorded in 2011 by Colin from Dysrhythmia/Gorguts.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Yo Luminaire I'm addicted to this Shadow of Intent album, freaking amazing stuff!

Woo! I'm glad. I absolutely love it. It would've been my album of the year in 2017, but Serenity in Murder put out their third album so that kinda took the year for me.

Actually, if you like Devil Within, you'll probably like Serenity in Murder. U, the vocalist of Devil Within/Merging Moon is good friends with them. Unfortunately their singer quit, but I've been hoping U might join.

Additionally, you might like one of Devil Within's guitarists other bands, Thousand Eyes.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of which: That new Enterprise Earth album absolutely slays! Definitely recommended for fans of SoI.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a massive fan of early/mid 2000's melodeath like Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Mors Principium Est etc. so this definitely hits the spot! Your recommendation game is on point lol

That's what I grew up on! I'm a huge fan of those as well. Wages of Sin, Natural Born Chaos, and The Unborn are such incredible works.

Yeah really enjoy Shadow of Intent as well.

Speaking of which: That new Enterprise Earth album absolutely slays! Definitely recommended for fans of SoI.

It makes me happy to find more SoI fans. I'll certainly check out Enterprise Earth!

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL so I'm cleaning up my music collection and come across Johnny Booth - Connections (2012) and remember they sent me their CD for free (simply because I asked where to buy their album from):

NkNbGW2.jpg

So I go and check their discography and turns out they only just released a new album since then (March 22nd)!

Yup that's Johnny Booth alright. And yup that sounds great!

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's only since yesterday that I realised Shadow of Intent had a 2017 album lol.

(it's been pretty damn fantastic so far)

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
VN1X

I've giving After The Burial another listen (as I was slightly distracted previously.) It's pretty good, has a nice groove to it! "11/26" might be my favorite track so far due to the very cool solos/lead outro.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
VN1X

I've giving After The Burial another listen (as I was slightly distracted previously.) It's pretty good, has a nice groove to it! "11/26" might be my favorite track so far due to the very cool solos/lead outro.
Heh, it's easy to get distracted while listening to an AtB record, to be fair. :P

Really enjoy "In Flux" myself, if only for that intro.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for spam but this could very well be a contender for AOTY and I'm the biggest Periphery fanboy I know.

Yup. The new album straight-out rips. Better than the debut, imo. I absolutely love each and every track on it. Also, the new Numenorean album is a fucking beast. Anyone who likes Blackgaze will probably love it.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
What does everyone think about Dadabots (AI generated tech death)?

It's convincing and impressive. I kind of feel that it's not much more or less interesting than the average tech death band. Metal is a great candidate for AI generated music. Some genres more than others are already so banal and formulaic that it may as well be generated by an AI.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
What does everyone think about Dadabots (AI generated tech death)?

It's convincing and impressive. I kind of feel that it's not much more or less interesting than the average tech death band. Metal is a great candidate for AI generated music. Some genres more than others are already so banal and formulaic that it may as well be generated by an AI.

Didn't they also generate other music as well (I vaguely remember a NOFX album they generated). I don't know that I would ever listen to music generated by AI, as I really like people being associated with the music that was created (not just coding). But it is crazy how formulaic some music is that an AI can just produce quite similar sounds. Doesn't really change my love for Tech Death though, even if it is by the numbers.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Didn't they also generate other music as well (I vaguely remember a NOFX album they generated). I don't know that I would ever listen to music generated by AI, as I really like people being associated with the music that was created (not just coding). But it is crazy how formulaic some music is that an AI can just produce quite similar sounds. Doesn't really change my love for Tech Death though, even if it is by the numbers.

It's fascinating how tech death bands put in tons of work to sound machine accurate and 'random', yet the AI developers are working in the opposite direction to approximate the same results.

The AI is just barely listenable background noise at this point. I can imagine in a few years we'll have full albums that have depth and theme that mirrors actual human generated tech death material.

Oct 27, 2017
admittedly never heard of dadabots, but the first album that caught my eye on bandcamp was puzzlomaly which I thought, "that looks very similar to psyopus - ideas of reference".. which is exactly what it ended up being a parody of. "I..........." got me laughing pretty hard.

the next one I saw is about black metal. where's the tech death stuff?
I'm a fan of the genre even if I only really enjoy
gorguts, spawn of possession, severed savior, odious mortem, "solace" and "breathing is irrelevant" era ion dissonance, beneath the massacre, continuum, and necrophagist.

speaking of I just received my spawn of possession vinyls for incurso and noctambulant :>

Last edited:

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I'd like to see an AI write bass riffs as good as Colin Marston:

That said if you told me you got an AI to write some riff salad death metal like Hate Eternal or Origin and the results were indistinguishable from the real thing I'd believe you because those bands already suck.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, I'd like to ask for some recommendations--even though "metal" might not be the right word to describe it, so I hope this isn't a wrong place to ask.

I've recently gotten back into some old favourites like Glassjaw and Poison The Well's Versions and Tropic Rot. Does anything come to mind that includes a similar sense of groove and/or innovative instrument arrangements?

It doesn't have to be an exact comparison, but here's a couple of theirs to give the idea:

(Alternatively, one of my all-time favourite bands is Modern Life is War, and I'd love any recommendations for bands similar to them as well.)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Oh shit new Ice Ages... out of nowhere?

https://iceages.bandcamp.com/

Not metal, but metal-related, as it's a side-project by Richard Lederer (aka Protector) of Summoning. Love their old albums, so I'm checking this right now. Solid so far.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, I'd like to ask for some recommendations--even though "metal" might not be the right word to describe it, so I hope this isn't a wrong place to ask.

I've recently gotten back into some old favourites like Glassjaw and Poison The Well's Versions and Tropic Rot. Does anything come to mind that includes a similar sense of groove and/or innovative instrument arrangements?

It doesn't have to be an exact comparison, but here's a couple of theirs to give the idea:

(Alternatively, one of my all-time favourite bands is Modern Life is War, and I'd love any recommendations for bands similar to them as well.)

Hm, I think you might be looking for some southern/groove metal bands? I don't know too many myself so I'm not much help.

I'm assuming you've already heard Gojira, as they're what comes to my mind after checking the two tracks you posted.
I'm probably off the mark for what you're looking for but I think Rivers of Nihil has some pretty interesting grooves and instrumentation.

There's also Deafheaven who is pretty great. I don't know if you'll like them, but they have a very somber post-black metal sound. Not-so-much groove but more interesting/unique instrumentation and sound. Some rock/shoegaze tone in there as well.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Speaking of Rivers of Nihil their drummer is also in the excellent FLUB who have an album (or EP?) coming soon!

check the floss at 2:13

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
The drummer is pretty great. That was quite bizarre though, haha. I'm reminded of Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas for some reason. Must be the sunglasses.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017

If you like Glassjaw, try Letlive's sophomore album Fake History. Their last full length Blackest Beautiful is kinda uneven but still a lot of fun. Just ignore their debut which is complete doo doo. If you like Glassjaw's Coloring Book, you should try Deftones' Diamond Eyes and Koi no Yokan. Coloring Book takes a lot of influences from modern day Deftones (imo). If you like Post-hardcore and punk in general, you should try the new Brutus album called Nest, which is kinda like a punk album wearing the clothes of post-hardcore and shoes of post-rock. Their debut album is a bit more Punk-leaning but it's pretty stellar in its own right.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
another successful MetalSucks smear campaign, this time against Deströyer 666.

fuck MetalSucks.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
another successful MetalSucks smear campaign, this time against Deströyer 666.

fuck MetalSucks.

A) Nah, fuck that racist/misogynist piece of shit in the band.

B) How is it smearing to point out actual things someone has said and done?

C) Recent outcry doesn't seem to be From metalsucks. Latest article I could find from them was 2016. Tone deaf seems to be the originator of the newer rage against the tour.

And D) Seriously fuck em.

looks like this is their modus operandi right now, just digging through the past of bands and unearthing long forgotten stuff.

Also perfect response from the band on their FB page.

Last year is long forgotten?

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I know there are a handful of D666 fans here. Would like to hear more thoughts on this. In the meantime, new Yellow Eyes track "No Dust" made public today.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Ok, I will retract what I said in my previous post, because I thought that MS article caused the tour cancellation.

I really like D666 music (probably one of the best music for the gym), but I think that KK Warslut should think twice before he starts talking/doing stuff like that on the stage. I am more surprised that Season of Mist is still bands label after all he said and done on stage.

Last year is long forgotten?
I was not talking about the D666, but for several MS stories from previous years, especially about Nergal and Bolzer