• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've really been enjoying the new Our Hollow, Our Home album.

They're a British metalcore band with some touches of deathcore and very catchy choruses that remind me of A Day To Remember's "Homesick" album. Very melodic but also very heavy. Fans of As I Lay Dying and Crystal Lake might find something to like.

Gave it a go but 'tis not for me. It's not bad by any means, however it's far too safe and similar to other bands and I feel like I've heard 'that' sound a million times before but with better mixing as well. Thanks for sharing though! Always on the prowl for new stuff.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The song is good but that mix... The fuzz on the drums at the beginning and at the end. Erk. Hurts my ears.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Not a bit fan of a lot of Tiamat's work (way too experimental across genres for me) but I do love their 90s albums like Clouds when they played some solid fucking death-doom.

I have been playing V:TMB again and it has a Tiamat track in it, which made me go back and listen to their 90s albums. =)

it is one of the catchiest metal tracks for me, along with classics from sabbath/maiden/entombed (wolverine blues) etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPS4HEc8KLQ

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Really digging the new Disentomb song. First time hearing them, and it's fucking wild. Wish the vocals were a hair louder though.

I've been working on a melodeath project for a bit now, and I'm almost done mixing it. I've a feeling most people here won't like it because it's pretty sophomoric, but it's been fun and I'm happy to see it coming together. Guitars are all sequenced with a VST called Shreddage 2 because I can't play guitar. I also can't drum so them's all samples. Taught myself how to scream though! So that bits me. Got a friend working on some album art for me.

Big listens lately have been the new Eluvatie album and the new Crystal Lake. God 2019 has been great so far.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
This new Rammstein album is hands down my favorite album since Mutter. So good. Great mix of different styles from song to song.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not a bit fan of a lot of Tiamat's work (way too experimental across genres for me) but I do love their 90s albums like Clouds when they played some solid fucking death-doom.

I have been playing V:TMB again and it has a Tiamat track in it, which made me go back and listen to their 90s albums. =)

it is one of the catchiest metal tracks for me, along with classics from sabbath/maiden/entombed (wolverine blues) etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPS4HEc8KLQ

Such a great band. Their early gothic metal period is great too.

One of my favourite tracks by them:

and

90's gothic/atmospheric metal* was so cool. Any recent band playing that style lately? Seems like that style died in the mid-90's...

* Not the Within Temptation-like "symphonic metal with female vocals and violins" wimpy shit. But stuff like 90's Moonspell and Tiamat.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hannes Grossmann:

"At the moment I feel like my brain is melting. That's what you get from working out new Blotted Science drum lines. Yes folks, you heard right, we are working on new material. How it's gonna sound? Heavy and complex!"

#blotted science

I can't wait to see what we get :)

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Grossman is so prolific right now. Eternity's End, Hate Eternal, Alkaloid, solo album, Blotted Science. The guy just doesn't stop!

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Hannes Grossmann:

"At the moment I feel like my brain is melting. That's what you get from working out new Blotted Science drum lines. Yes folks, you heard right, we are working on new material. How it's gonna sound? Heavy and complex!"

#blotted science

I can't wait to see what we get :)

Holy shit!!!

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
Such a great band. Their early gothic metal period is great too.

One of my favourite tracks by them:

and

90's gothic/atmospheric metal* was so cool. Any recent band playing that style lately? Seems like that style died in the mid-90's...

* Not the Within Temptation-like "symphonic metal with female vocals and violins" wimpy shit. But stuff like 90's Moonspell and Tiamat.

Yeah that whole gothic and death-doom genre of the 90s died out. Few months ago I complained about the same in the thread, today the genre seems to be replaced by "funeral doom" which I don't like and like you say, that poppy stuff like Within Temptation, which I can't stand either. The 90s sound of gothic and death-doom metal (to me these genres always had a bit overlap with each other like Paradise Lost's early albums and Katatonia's Dance of December Souls/Brave Murder Day) is completely gone.

I actually got to see Tiamat live for the first time this year, at the Dark Easter Metal Meeting in Germany, their set had their older tracks, e.g Whatever That Hurts and The Ar.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah that whole gothic and death-doom genre of the 90s died out. Few months ago I complained about the same in the thread, today the genre seems to be replaced by "funeral doom" which I don't like and like you say, that poppy stuff like Within Temptation, which I can't stand either. The 90s sound of gothic and death-doom metal (to me these genres always had a bit overlap with each other like Paradise Lost's early albums and Katatonia's Dance of December Souls/Brave Murder Day) is completely gone.

I actually got to see Tiamat live for the first time this year, at the Dark Easter Metal Meeting in Germany, their set had their older tracks, e.g Whatever That Hurts and The Ar.
Oh that's cool. I would love to see this version of Tiamat live for sure (really love The Astral Sleep as well), but I don't think they ever came to North America. Hmm or wait they might have come in the 90's (I recall my brother mentioning they were opening for a completely ill-fitting band, like Motörhead or something lol) but I was too young to go to concerts then...

As for gothic/doom stuff, they're not new, but have you heard Stillborn? Fantastic band, love their debut Necrospirituals:

They have a recent album in 2017 too.

But since this hybrid of gothic rock and metal has mostly died out, I've been listening to more goth rock itself. Not quite metal, but Star Industry is probably my favourite goth rock band right now.

Oct 27, 2017
more hannes grossmann

howling sycamore released a new track. I didn't realize they were releasing new content again but I'll give the new album a spin when it releases.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
New Opeth announced:

b2c09183-91e1-41d2-bl3k4x.jpeg

BIG NEWS! Opeth are pleased to present you with the title and tracklisting for their awaited 13th observation!
"In Cauda Venenum", is due out this fall on Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment.

Recorded last year at Stockholm's Park Studios, In Cauda Venenum will be released in two versions, in both Swedish and English languages. Various physical and digital formats will be available and additional details will be announced in the coming months.

In anticipation of the impending release, OPETH will be performing shows around the world through the end of the year. Dates are and ticketing info can be found here: www.opeth.com/tour-dates or on the "Dates, Tickets' tab on this Facebook page. Additional touring will be announced soon.

In Cauda Venenum Tracklisting:
1. Livet's Trädgård / Garden Of Earthly Delights (Intro)
2. Svekets Prins / Dignity
3. Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör / Heart In Hand
4. De Närmast Sörjande / Next Of Kin
5. Minnets Yta / Lovelorn Crime
6. Charlatan
7. Ingen Sanning Är Allas / Universal Truth
8. Banemannen / The Garroter
9. Kontinuerlig Drift / Continuum
10. Allting Tar Slut / All Things Will Pass

The artwork was once more created by the very delicate hands of Seempieces - The Art of Travis Smith

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
This song is so sick. The chorus is just disgusting.

Dragony is pretty hit or miss for me (the Kung Fury Hasselhoff cover is certainly a hit) but this one is one of a kind, a really unique atmosphere and sound.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
New Opeth announced:

b2c09183-91e1-41d2-bl3k4x.jpeg

Hell yes!

What's most interesting is the fact that the album is in both Swedish and English. I"m wondering if this will effect Mike's singing on the album. Maybe he will sound better in Swedish than English? Is it different to sing either language? Who knows?

Also, that cover art is really neat.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested to hear the differences in Swedish and English versions. Wonder which was done first.

Saboton did the same sort of thing before. Not sure which version of theirs was first either.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's cool. I would love to see this version of Tiamat live for sure (really love The Astral Sleep as well), but I don't think they ever came to North America. Hmm or wait they might have come in the 90's (I recall my brother mentioning they were opening for a completely ill-fitting band, like Motörhead or something lol) but I was too young to go to concerts then...

As for gothic/doom stuff, they're not new, but have you heard Stillborn? Fantastic band, love their debut Necrospirituals:

They have a recent album in 2017 too.

But since this hybrid of gothic rock and metal has mostly died out, I've been listening to more goth rock itself. Not quite metal, but Star Industry is probably my favourite goth rock band right now.

Yeah I know Stillborn but didn't know Star Industry, so I have been listening to them this week and I like them, thanks for the recommendation!

Oct 27, 2017
even though we're only mid-way-ish into the year I'd say it's an aoty contender for me (along with devy and raiju)
that bandcamp stream starts out on the 3rd song as an fyi, but my favorites are
2 - the fires of frustration
5 - imitatio dei
8 - standing on the work of slaves
9 - renegade ashes
10 - absolutist regeneration

Oct 27, 2017
New Russian Circles!

New album coming August.

So good.

The first time I saw Russian circles was robot most fest 2007 which was the year of that "satan" outrage in WI that was covered in a few news sources.

I think thats when Alex from depised Icon filled in for Ion Dissonance for gab 357 (right before Kevin) which was the best

Last edited:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously though, I've been listening to The Sword....ZZZzzz

I don't get it. Boring ass band.