• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I'm gonna recommend another new album. Anyone else into Zeitgeister? Valborg is not my favourite project by them, but their new album Zentrum has surprised me for real good. Reminds me of The Fischer, Godflesh and some Cosmosophy era BAN even.

And the cover is amazing:

If no one here knows what Zeitgeister is, it's a collective of German people releasing music under several outfits, with members often collaborating in more than one or two or almost all of them:

I highly recommend Island, Ekpyrosis, Gruenewald (first two albums especially) and Woburn House (same, first two albums). The styles are varied, sometimes even inside the same "band". One of my absolute favourite albums by this collective:

This post comes full of meat, I hope it doesn't go unnoticed. It would be disheartening.

Oct 28, 2017
New releases this year from Deftones, Tool, Opeth, Baroness AND Pelican?!

Fuck me sideways.

Hell yes!

What's most interesting is the fact that the album is in both Swedish and English. I"m wondering if this will effect Mike's singing on the album. Maybe he will sound better in Swedish than English? Is it different to sing either language? Who knows?

Also, that cover art is really neat.

I'm just hopin' he places a few good growls and gutturals in there tbh, I don't care what language they're in.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I can't decide whether or not I like Energetic Disassemble or Control and Resistance more.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure what to say about this other than the cover speaks for itself I think. The music is actually pretty good too if you're into the 80s still.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stop listening to that Paladin album. Holy shit.

Not really sure what to say about this other than the cover speaks for itself I think. The music is actually pretty good too if you're into the 80s still.

Hell yeah. It's a great album. Production could've been a little better though.

New single from Kryptos shreds too.

Nov 1, 2017
Can I get some recs for my gym playlist to chase that maximum PR and pump? I want tracks that are very aggressive, rhythmic and energetic. For example, Jezebel by Acid Bath and Death's cover of Painkiller are probably the tracks that gets me the most hyped. Pls no metalcore

Edit: Grammar

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Control and Resistance for me

I just wish Energetic Disassembly had better production. Though it's hard to say even then. Both albums are just SO good.

Also, you're a Metal expert. Just HOW important and influential do you consider Watchtower as a band?

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish Energetic Disassembly had better production. Though it's hard to say even then. Both albums are just SO good.

Also, you're a Metal expert. Just HOW important and influential do you consider Watchtower as a band?

*Thrash/NWOBHM expert lol

Watchtower is without a doubt one of the most influential metal bands to come out of Texas, what they were able to produce influenced the countless prog thrash bands that were to follow. You can make an excellent case for Watchtower provided that extra jolt for the thrash scene during the mid-80s. You can name on one hand, including bands like Blind Illusion in there, for driving the technical/progressive movement in thrash which bands began implementing into their sound.

They directly inspired Voivod, Anacuris, Sieges Even, Deathrow as some examples.

Here is an excellent article on the subject

It was no coincidence that Voivod had toured the US with Swiss avant-gardists Celtic Frost a year earlier, and the opening band in Austin was Watchtower.

"They were one of the first thrash bands I'd seen playing prog rock," says Away, who grew up listening to VdGG and King Crimson.

It was an approach that Voivod themselves began to take onboard, inspired partly by their own developing musical skills.

"Between 1983 and 1988 we rehearsed every single night," Away says. "We were ready to add a little bit more of the prog rock thing into our music. When we toured in 1987, we noticed the metal audiences were a little puzzled by our style."

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
*Thrash/NWOBHM expert lol

Watchtower is without a doubt one of the most influential metal bands to come out of Texas, what they were able to produce influenced the countless prog thrash bands that were to follow. You can make an excellent case for Watchtower provided that extra jolt for the thrash scene during the mid-80s. You can name on one hand, including bands like Blind Illusion in there, for driving the technical/progressive movement in thrash which bands began implementing into their sound.

They directly inspired Voivod, Anacuris, Sieges Even, Deathrow as some examples.

Here is an excellent article on the subject

Thanks, this is a good article. Awesome to read about Tech Thrash.

Also, as a Tech Death fan, I can't ignore the influence they had on the likes of Atheist, Death, and Cynic (though obviously, they aren't solely responsible). Given how influential those bands are (to me as well), it's pretty special to know that Austin music (with help from the ever-so-humble and awesome San Antonio) is part of the musical framework Extreme Tech and Prog music.

Also, have you ever been to any of the cities in Texas?

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Maryland Deathfest XVIII
May 21-24, 2020

First bands will be announced soon. Who would you all want to see?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just hopin' he places a few good growls and gutturals in there tbh, I don't care what language they're in.

Part of me wants to say there's no way Mike's going back to growls.

But then again there was a time when their setlists excluded any growls so it seemed like he was definitely getting away from it for good, but now the setlists are back to practically all growls again. Their last live album had a ton of growling. So I wonder if he's warmed up to the idea again? I wouldn't hold my breath though.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not as immediately satisfying as some of their older work but it's growing on me. August can't come soon enough!

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland Deathfest XVIII
May 21-24, 2020

These are my requests for next year

Yacøpsæ
Gutalax
Meat Spreader
Convulsing
Taphos
Hyperdontia
Wolvennest
Malokarpatan
Necrophobic
Suppression
Galvanizer
Pissgrave
Uruk
Lantern
Cult of Fire
Intestine Baalism
Cadaveric Fumes
Svartidauði
Dakhma
Disgusted Geist
Unholy Grave
Jordablod
Inter Arma
Nucleus
Nocturnus AD
Balmog
Inferno
Antlers
Zealotry
Petrification
Butcher ABC

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Last I heard, Intestine Baalism aren't able to enter the US due to legal issues, which is a bummer. Heard they crushed it in the Netherlands.

Meat Spreader would be rad. Make up for the letdown of the times I've seen Dead Infection.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
Last I heard, Intestine Baalism aren't able to enter the US due to legal issues, which is a bummer. Heard they crushed it in the Netherlands.

Meat Spreader would be rad. Make up for the letdown of the times I've seen Dead Infection.

Ah man that sucks. I know that both the guitarist and vocalist for Hyperdontia were not able to come into the country either but had others to fill in for the shows they just did on the west coast.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
idk if this is allowed but my band put out an EP today. its kinda sludge metal/noise rock stuff. i'll remove it if this is against site rules.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
if I ever go to MDF I would just hope for a decent number of quality black metal bands.

That would be sick. This year (at least at the soundstage) there was a lot of grind which was nice but I was really missing some black metal. I also want more slam/ brutal death metal because that always gets the crowd going nuts. Devourment killed it.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Personally hope they stop booking black metal completely. Festival was at its best when it was primarily a death metal/grindcore show.

I'm sure it'll continue to include a bit of everything though.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
if there's one band I really, really want to see at MDF it would be Order from Chaos. It would be a reunion for one thing, and I think most people going would enjoy them too.

speaking of death metal/grindcore, picked up a few terrible albums yesterday.

VJg7kNO.jpg

Last edited:

RickPresk

May 15, 2018
if there's one band I really, really want to see at MDF it would be Order from Chaos. It would be a reunion for one thing, and I think most people going would enjoy them too.

speaking of death metal/grindcore, picked up a few terrible albums yesterday.

VJg7kNO.jpg
That Pungent Stench one brings back some memories, I'll have to dig that out and have a listen!

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Pungent Stench are criminally overlooked nowadays. Symphonies of Sickness is the best Carcass album. Good picks.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland Deathfest XVIII
May 21-24, 2020

Meat Spreader
Jig-Ai
7 H. Target
Feastem
Krypts (I don't know how they weren't booked like 6 years ago but they played the last California Deathfest if I'm not mistaken)

Would love to see General Surgery and Death Toll 80K back. Maybe get Lycanthrophy again if their singer is able to tour with them

I went every year from 2013 through 2017 but I skipped the last two. It's a good time to go and hang with friends but if they aren't booking awesome shit that I can't see otherwise I really don't see any point in spending the money to go. They had several bands I wanted to see this year (especially Frightmare, who dropped and who knows if that reunion's even gonna happen anymore) but they put pretty much all of them on Saturday. Had a real bad experience with overlaps in 2017, I heard it wasn't an issue this year but several of my friends echoed my thoughts that the appeal isn't even about the bands anymore

There's only so many bands they can bring in while sustaining their business model, I don't blame em or anything obviously

I wonder if a Regurgitate reunion would ever be in the cards

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if a Regurgitate reunion would ever be in the cards
Probably not. They've been asked about it a few times and it's always been a no, sadly.

They were supposed to play a show I was booking before MDF in 2011, but they ended up breaking up/cancelling both shows. Was a massive bummer.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. They've been asked about it a few times and it's always been a no, sadly.

They were supposed to play a show I was booking before MDF in 2011, but they ended up breaking up/cancelling both shows. Was a massive bummer.
Damn.

Sucks if they don't want to get back together but I do respect people going away and meaning it

Still hurts that In Disgust came back for what feels like a few months before vanishing and dropping MDF. Blah.