• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
First bands announced for Maryland Deathfest 2020:

62525721_2319913404713817_6677603220954546176_n.jpg

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It'll be the first time Flesh Parade do MDF with their original singer, so that'll be rad to finally see.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
First bands announced for Maryland Deathfest 2020:

Already have my room booked and ticket for next year. I am happy with just seeing the bands announced already and cannot wait to see who else is announced. I am especially stoked to see Butcher ABC, Galvanizer, Cadaveric Incubator, and Vircolac though

Oct 27, 2017
I was just listening to some tunes and got back into an album I fell in love with nearly 20 years ago. I don't think it gets enough (or any) appreciation so I figured I'd make a drop in here for anyone that's looking for some new stuff to listen to:

Asgaard played a sort of operatic (male vocals) gothic metal which is usually well outside of my wheelhouse, but everything about this album came together perfectly for me. This is my favorite track off their 2001 album, Ex Oriente Lux, but every track on it is worth a listen in my opinion.

The instrumentation is good, but I think the appeal for me is mostly the vocal work on this particular album. I'm a sucker for any band that employs good or simply just unique vocal styling.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
So news just hit that David from Vektor is a spousal abuser. Sigh. My first actual milkshake duck.

Have you spoken with the other band members before or seen them play live by chance? Vektor is a case study in toxic band relationships, it hurts me in multiple ways because they have been my favorite thrash band for over 13+ years, and it hurts me as a child of an abusive relationship, and now I see my Brother acting the same way.

Two things can be true: 1) David is a genius songwriter and brilliant performer, and 2) He is a mentally and emotionally abusive alcoholic who has major issues he needs to work with.

It is best that the band had dissolved, I feel so horrible for his wife, and I also feel sad for him, because I know the help he needs and will probably won't get as alcohol really destroys everyone around you.

I'm not much into band drama and shit so those are my thoughts on it, it is truly abhorrent what was done for years.

Oct 25, 2017
Have you spoken with the other band members before or seen them play live by chance? Vektor is a case study in toxic band relationships, it hurts me in multiple ways because they have been my favorite thrash band for over 13+ years, and it hurts me as a child of an abusive relationship, and now I see my Brother acting the same way.

Two things can be true: 1) David is a genius songwriter and brilliant performer, and 2) He is a mentally and emotionally abusive alcoholic who has major issues he needs to work with.

It is best that the band had dissolved, I feel so horrible for his wife, and I also feel sad for him, because I know the help he needs and will probably won't get as alcohol really destroys everyone around you.

I'm not much into band drama and shit so those are my thoughts on it, it is truly abhorrent what was done for years.
I only met them briefly when they played here in Sweden. Actually didn't speak to Dave or his wife much, but I did hang out with their other guitarist and drummer for a while. But yeah, they were probably in my top 5 bands of all time, especially with Terminal Redux. I had no idea about any of this so it certainly puts the band breaking up in hella perspective. I just don't see myself enjoying listening to the music in the same way now that I know this (which is pretty damn inconsequential compared to what she's dealing with, needless to say). We've seen this in many types of media with abusers being outed of course, but this one hits the closest to home for me because these are people I genuinely look up to (talking about the entire band including his wife since she did a lot of work for them as well).

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That new Shadow of Intent is incredible. Love it!

And the new track from Spiritbox is fan-fucking-tastic as well. Loving the melodic parts especially.

Last edited:

blahness

Oct 25, 2017

I was at Vektor's last show and even before they announced that they were breaking up, I noticed that night that all of the other members of the band basically didnt want anything to do with Dave after the show. Kinda of shut him out, so the breakup didn't completely surprise me and really this current situation stemming from that doesn't either. Fuck Dave. I love the music Vektor produced and that last show is still one of my favorite show experiences ever, but fuck Dave forever for this shit.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I was at Vektor's last show and even before they announced that they were breaking up, I noticed that night that all of the other members of the band basically didnt want anything to do with Dave after the show. Kinda of shut him out, so the breakup didn't completely surprise me and really this current situation stemming from that doesn't either. Fuck Dave. I love the music Vektor produced and that last show is still one of my favorite show experiences ever, but fuck Dave forever for this shit.

I asked the question to the previous poster because that tension was real for fans who saw them play, and after shows. Erik is a good man, I wish him nothing but the best in his career.

Oct 25, 2017
I asked the question to the previous poster because that tension was real for fans who saw them play, and after shows. Erik is a good man, I wish him nothing but the best in his career.
Honestly I couldn't tell, but this was about a month before the release of Terminal Redux. There certainly was a split clique within the band outwardly but that's nothing unusual in bands on the road and doesn't necessarily signify anything destructive really. Sitting around in a car/bus with the same people for most hours of the day may or may not make you want to hang out with someone else once you're at the venue. I would know :P

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I couldn't tell, but this was about a month before the release of Terminal Redux. There certainly was a split clique within the band outwardly but that's nothing unusual in bands on the road and doesn't necessarily signify anything destructive really. Sitting around in a car/bus with the same people for most hours of the day may or may not make you want to hang out with someone else once you're at the venue. I would know :P

A band for you that I am super high on the past couple years. Really talented bunch of thrashers from Detroit

Euphoria Ω

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
Just checking in about Vektor. That guy just shat on his own legacy by being a complete dickhead. I feel sorry for his wife and the other guys. I don't know how I feel about listening to them anymore. Terminal Redux had permanent residence in my cars player. It got taken out tonight.

So disappointing.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Hey guys, I hope it's alright to drop in like this with a question out of the blue, but one of my big loves is Black Metal and I'll admit I've either turned a blind eye or willfully ignored a lot of the shittier stuff from bands because the music triggers something in me that other music doesn't.

So, it'll sound pathetic but I've always wanted a Jean vest with a bunch of band patches on it and I've lot a considerable bit of weight so, I'm going to treat myself! The only ones I've found though come with a selection of big ass patches on the back and while I like this music from all the bands, I wanted to double/triple check with people who ain't blinkered to some of the worse stuff!

The last thing I'd wanna do is walk around and have people assume I'm either a nazi or down with Nazis! (Obviously I know Varg was in MayheM so that's straight out..)

pSgx6Ml_d.jpg

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I hope it's alright to drop in like this with a question out of the blue, but one of my big loves is Black Metal and I'll admit I've either turned a blind eye or willfully ignored a lot of the shittier stuff from bands because the music triggers something in me that other music doesn't.

So, it'll sound pathetic but I've always wanted a Jean vest with a bunch of band patches on it and I've lot a considerable bit of weight so, I'm going to treat myself! The only ones I've found though come with a selection of big ass patches on the back and while I like this music from all the bands, I wanted to double/triple check with people who ain't blinkered to some of the worse stuff!

The last thing I'd wanna do is walk around and have people assume I'm either a nazi or down with Nazis! (Obviously I know Varg was in MayheM so that's straight out..)

pSgx6Ml_d.jpg
If it were me I'd definitely go with Transilvanian Hunger or Bathory.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Varg wrote some of the lyrics to Transilvanian Hunger and it had "Norwegian Aryan Black Metal" written on it.

Though I doubt anyone would give you shit for it.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra

pSgx6Ml_d.jpg

Those are all great and you can't go wrong. Also someone will find a problem with most of those bands if they want to. All clear IMO though. I wear Darkthrone and Watain stuff a good bit. My wife cuts up my old shirts and makes hoodies for me. As such I have a rad Conan / Watain hoodie.

Also congrats on the health goals! I lift things and listen to metal so it all goes hand in hand at this point! Great work!

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Those are all great and you can't go wrong. Also someone will find a problem with most of those bands if they want to. All clear IMO though. I wear Darkthrone and Watain stuff a good bit. My wife cuts up my old shirts and makes hoodies for me. As such I have a rad Conan / Watain hoodie.

Also congrats on the health goals! I lift things and listen to metal so it all goes hand in hand at this point! Great work!

Thank you for that! I don't actually do much in the way of exercise to be honest, but I moved out of home and in with the future wife and I do all the cooking, food budget, meal planning etc. And I eat way way better than I ever used too, plus keeping a house clean is surprisingly active!! 😂

Yeah, I am pretty much decided in the Transylvanian Hunger right now, I've got a load of other badges and stuff to throw on it when I get it!

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

pSgx6Ml_d.jpg
Welcome!

If you are worried about bands with less than savory lyrics and association, steer clear of Satanic Warmaster. They have some NS songs and imagery. They've also done splits with striaght up Nazi bands and Werewolf's label has put out albums by NS/Nazi bands like Goatmoon and Hammer. Everything else on the list seems clean of any Nazi stuff.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

pSgx6Ml_d.jpg
What Valkyr said. You're fine with the rest (even Mayhem, really; no one associates them with Varg, if anything, Varg is associated with being the murderer of the Mayhem guy after all...) but definitely avoid Satanic Warmaster if you're staying clear of NS associations.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Welcome!

If you are worried about bands with less than savory lyrics and association, steer clear of Satanic Warmaster. They have some NS songs and imagery. They've also done splits with striaght up Nazi bands and Werewolf's label has put out albums by NS/Nazi bands like Goatmoon and Hammer. Everything else on the list seems clean of any Nazi stuff.
What Valkyr said. You're fine with the rest (even Mayhem, really; no one associates them with Varg, if anything, Varg is associated with being the murderer of the Mayhem guy after all...) but definitely avoid Satanic Warmaster if you're staying clear of NS associations.

Thank you for the answer! Honestly was a little worried coming into the thread since my knowledge of metal isn't as massive as it was when I was religiously devouring magazines! Now it's just whatever gets mentioned on ToiletOvHell and ThatsNotMetal that appeals to me!

Thanks for the shout on Satanic Warmaster, they were actually the only band there I had never even heard of, so I won't even bother to listen to em.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
This news about Dave sucks. Hopefully he can bounce back like Bruce Dickenson who had tongue cancer. But.. who knows. I hope it's not too far along.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
That new Shadow of Intent is incredible. Love it!

New Shadow of Intent is such a wonderful gem. I can't wait for their next album. Reclaimer has to be one of my favorite albums of all time.
I'm not sure if I've shared it here before, but Orbit Culture is a band that will forever have my heart and my ears as they're such masters of escalation. Their last full-length album, Rasen, is one of the most intense and beautiful albums I've heard. I'm not sure if I'd put Reclaimer over it, but they're neck and neck for me despite different sounds. The follow-up EP, Redfog, is just as good and I'm ever excited for anything new they put out.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
New Visceral Disgorge, it's ok

New Sacred Reich, it's bad. Maybe if they bothered to write riffs it'd sound good