• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day:

Population Reduction - Yuppie Assault Vehicle

"This Comp Kills Fascists" had so many awesome bands on them, this was one of them. Goody Grindness.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
The production on the new Opeth is better than they have had in a while. That as least feels like them. Also some doomy leads in there. I have hope.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Listened to the new Opeth Song.

It's... good, actually. Some of the most memorable stuff they've done in years, IMHO.

It's just that... it's the same for me with pretty much all their songs (except a couple) post-Watershed: they fail to ellicit an emotional reaction from me. They're not bad songs, but I get "nothing" from them. And, hell, they used to be one of my favorite bands! Their songs pretty much gave me goosebumps - most of them had at least a section, a moment that just slayed me and shook me deeply.

I haven't gotten any of that from their post-Watershed output, to be honest, and with every new release I realize the band I used to love doesn't exist anymore and the current incarnation of Opeth is not really for me. Which is fine, BTW - they still are a great band and they're making the music they WANT to make (something admirable) and they still have lots of fans who support them. So it's more on me* than on them**.

*: Funny because I love prog and yet "new" Opeth, who are very much PROG, somehow are not for me.

**: They're still a damn good live band.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Says tweet is unavailable.
Weird, they deleted the tweet. Anyway, it's this:

swBpSiG.png

Oct 27, 2017
Man.. I cant believe behold... the arctopus and dysrhythmia are only playing east coast dates together. Last time I saw dysrhythmia in Chicago was 2013? And b...ta the year after? They havent come back since.

I had to go to cleveland last year to see b...ta and the timing is poor for me to make these new dates.

Dysrhythmia - Terminal Threshhold will be out in October at least and a new arctopus album in 2020.

Dysrhythmia also shared this snippet of part of the cover art
66472161_10157210983383605_684324822968172544_o.jpg

Just a throw back to their 2nd to last album:

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Man.. I cant believe behold... the arctopus and dysrhythmia are only playing east coast dates together. Last time I saw dysrhythmia in Chicago was 2013? And b...ta the year after? They havent come back since.

I had to go to cleveland last year to see b...ta and the timing is poor for me to make these new dates.

Dysrhythmia - Terminal Threshhold will be out in October at least and a new arctopus album in 2020.

New Dysrhythmia and Behold...the Arctopus? HOLY SHIT.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
How come bands still release stuff on cassette? Is there a market for those?

I have a friend who collects cassettes and when he does releases of his solo project does it on cassette as well as CD. Not really sure why though, when I've asked he just says he thinks they are cool.

So I mean there are still small amounts of people interested I guess.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
New Opeth has me legit excited. It might just be their best album in their Heritage era.

It's the "cool factor" of vinyl but cheaper

I don't get it either but people are way into it. Whatever

I love speeding up cassettes so that they sound like chipmunks.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a handful of cassettes ._.
partly because some bands like haunter will only release a cassette as their "physical media" and I like to support the band (and I still get the digital version from the purchase on bandcamp).

I have no way to play it and I'd prefer it on vinyl tbh.

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
GvlSVam.png

all formats matter. Honestly cassettes are sick. It's the perfect demo format and it has its own sound. I once tried to rationalize all this but after a while I just decided not to overthink it. Most people buy hard copies because they're cool and because of ownership, certainly not because they're convenient today. Each format has its own appeal so I try not to think of arguing for one over the other. BTW I'm using a Nakamichi BX-300 for tapes. I wonder how many people here have heard one not played on a 90's ghetto blaster lol.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Good day for metal releases. Really digging Wear Your Wounds, Torche and False.

New Opeth has me legit excited. It might just be their best album in their Heritage era.

That seems pretty premature. It feels like a promising direction but I can think of at least 2-3 better tracks on each Heritage through Sorceress album.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
That seems pretty premature. It feels like a promising direction but I can think of at least 2-3 better tracks on each Heritage through Sorceress album.

We shall see. I found Sorceress to be pretty disappointing.

I agree there's no song like Faith in Others yet, what a jaw dropping song.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

The only song that I can name that I liked as much as the new track would be "Sorceress", which wasn't actually indicative of the album overall unfortunately. Even getting over the loss of the growls, none of the albums since Heritage have been repeatable for me. This track at least seems high energy, and almost sounds like one of the more metal focused Porcupine Tree songs...which I really dig. Way too early (just like with Sorceress) to think that the entire album is going to have songs of this quality disseminated throughout.

Still, as a huge fan of Morningrise through Ghost Reveries, I'd be remiss to act like I don't still hold a microscopic glimmer of hope for another solid Opeth release. Good thing Anciients exists though to scratch that old Opeth itch. They should have a new album out next year too.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love the outro to this song. In fact I like the guitars at the beginning quite a bit too, it reminds me of Forgotten Tomb (though they came afterwards I guess!)

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Yuzukingdom
"Jail"
Melodic Death Metal
Yuzukingdom is a project between a Jpop idol and Blood Stain Child. They create a pretty great melodic death sound circa BSC's first three albums (2002-2005ish). I love both albums they've released so far. I previously listened to Yuzuki's pop group Q'ulle and never thought I'd hear her screaming metal a few years later.

Blood Stain Child
"Del-Sol"
Melodic Death Metal / Trance / Electronic
Speaking of BSC, they recently put out a new album and its possibly the best thing they've put out in almost a decade. They have Sadew, the vocalist of the Mozaiq album back, and he's improved quite a bit. I grew up with this band so I'm pretty happy.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Rest of Goblin's tour dates announced:

"We will perform the live score of Dario Argento's legendary horror classic, "Deep Red" during a screening of the film. The second part of the show we will play an additional set of classic Goblin material as well as some cuts off their new releases."

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well didn't know that until know so not helping with the guilt. lol.

This isn't the first time Anselmo has demonstrated behavior that might be described as racist. In March of 1995, he gave a speech during a concert where he spoke about white pride. And Metal Sucks mentions a 2003 song from his band Superjoint (then called Superjoint Ritual), "Stealing a Page or Two From Armed and Radical Pagans," that contains the lyrics "no more of the coward Muhammad" and "taking no pity on the Jewish elitists."

Seth Putnam was a part of white supremacist band Vaginal Jesus which were part of the white supremacist Resistance Records:

He does backing vocals on 4 of The Great Southern Trendkill's songs.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Rest of Goblin's tour dates announced:

"We will perform the live score of Dario Argento's legendary horror classic, "Deep Red" during a screening of the film. The second part of the show we will play an additional set of classic Goblin material as well as some cuts off their new releases."

I went to see them perform Suspiria's score during the screening of the film a while ago, and eventhough it was a nice experience it was ridden with technical issues. The film skipped and stopped abruptly three times, and since Simonetti was handling it along with playing his intrument he didn't notice it. It was pretty awkward when he rewinded the film back to the start of the scene, with a cursor dangling on the screen. It's beyond me, why there wasn't another person handling the film, and why the film had such issues in the first place.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I went to see them perform Suspiria's score during the screening of the film a while ago, and eventhough it was a nice experience it was ridden with technical issues. The film skipped and stopped abruptly three times, and since Simonetti was handling it along with playing his intrument he didn't notice it. It was pretty awkward when he rewinded the film back to the start of the scene, with a cursor dangling on the screen. It's beyond me, why there wasn't another person handling the film, and why the film had such issues in the first place.
That sucks. I saw that tour last year and luckily there wasn't any technical issues here.