• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
The lineup for that is always fucking crazy. I wish I could go in my lifetime, but alas I'm not even on the right continent.
That's a shame. Friday was dreadful because of the intense rain, otherwise best festival I've been to in a long time. Most chill campsite and organisation I've experienced. People treated like adults. Most money I've spent on arena beers despite the policy of allowing people to bring their own alcohol into the arena.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. Friday was dreadful because of the intense rain, otherwise best festival I've been to in a long time. Most chill campsite and organisation I've experienced. People treated like adults. Most money I've spent on arena beers despite the policy of allowing people to bring their own alcohol into the arena.
Yeah ATG is amazing. I went in 2017, did the VIP package and stood on stage in the pissing down rain as Converge played an incredible set in front of me. Bliss.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Its funny because I see black metal as an increasingly popular genre, so many bands using it as a base ingredient for their sound.
For sure. I think it's possible for people to take elements of it and make something interesting. In the same way that there seems to be increasingly more bands influenced by Mortician, but I'm not going to listen to Mortician.

Do you mean the mid-80s to late-80s or the early 90s (i.e., first wave or second wave)?
When someone refers to "black metal," I think it's generally pretty clear what they're talking about. The idea of retroactively assigning influential bands to being some first wave of the genre has always been a bit silly to me.

Oct 27, 2017
so cynic is re-releasing traced in air which is basically removing tymon kruidenier's vocals... ... and supposedly new malone bass riffs

but I think I'm going to pass on this one....

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah ATG is amazing. I went in 2017, did the VIP package and stood on stage in the pissing down rain as Converge played an incredible set in front of me. Bliss.

yeh buying a ticket for 2020. It's left a great impression on me.

Also it was a lot of fun helping people to bang their heads to Meshuggah lol. So many people confused by the rhythms.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The idea of retroactively assigning influential bands to being some first wave of the genre has always been a bit silly to me.
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's nowhere near as silly as your idea that black metal strictly belongs to a specific time/place...

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
discussion of "waves" is an interesting exercise. I think it's totally fine to look for links to a scene that weren't necessarily part of the most recognizable movement.

I think it makes more sense to say you just don't like black metal, period, rather than try to imply that it's inherently gimmicky. It's certainly no more gimmicky than goregrind or slam lol.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I have no problem with bands that have a "gimmick." Basically all bands have some form of image they're projecting, to varying degrees. Though I do find it cringey when bands take it too seriously, regardless of genre.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
black metal is image heavy, campy, and not so self aware a lot of the time, sure. I still can't use that as an objective knock on it. At the end of the day, if an album is great it will completely transcend all that superficial stuff.

Doomshine

Oct 30, 2017
I think you'll find that a lot of bands with a "dark" image and lyrics don't actually take themselves that seriously.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Ignivomous (AUS) - Death Transmutation

their third LP was announced recently by NWN, so I'm recommending this beast. Easily one of the best bands to follow the path of Incantation.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Last edited:

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
No other comments on the Twlight Force album from the power metal fans? It's damn incredible.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
No other comments on the Twlight Force album from the power metal fans? It's damn incredible.
I haven't listened to it yet. I was a bit turned off by their last album, and labeled it "Disney metal." They put on a good show when I saw them at ProgPower a couple years ago, so maybe I should give the new album a shot.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
The few songs I've heard I really don't like. I find the new singer a bit bland, and instrumentally it just isn't doing anything for me. Which is a shame because i love power metal and have been spinning the new Avantasia and Beast in Black albums pretty regularly all year.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Southern Lord mentioned they had copies of Xasthur's Nocturnal Poisoning back in stock so I picked up a copy. Haven't been buying a ton of records lately but when I do, it's always black metal lol. Pretty proud of my collection at this point. Nothing too obscure I don't think but I do have a lot of my favorites.

I hadn't listened to Nocturnal Poisoning in a while but man it it still good as hell. Pretty much the first 5 Xasthur records are all amazing. Basically everything up through Subliminal Genocide.

that title track is so good

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
The few songs I've heard I really don't like. I find the new singer a bit bland, and instrumentally it just isn't doing anything for me. Which is a shame because i love power metal and have been spinning the new Avantasia and Beast in Black albums pretty regularly all year.

Interesting. I think Conti sounds awesome on vocals, and it's certainly their best produced album by a mile, such a big sound.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Southern Lord mentioned they had copies of Xasthur's Nocturnal Poisoning back in stock so I picked up a copy. Haven't been buying a ton of records lately but when I do, it's always black metal lol. Pretty proud of my collection at this point. Nothing too obscure I don't think but I do have a lot of my favorites.

I hadn't listened to Nocturnal Poisoning in a while but man it it still good as hell. Pretty much the first 5 Xasthur records are all amazing. Basically everything up through Subliminal Genocide.

that title track is so good

nize. I saw that a couple other early albums were reissued recently by this new label called Oracular Visions, so definitely a good time to scoop some Xasthur.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day:

Van Canto - Kings of Metal

I just can't get enough of the ridiculousness of this song. I sometimes catch myself muttering: "neme neme neme nemeWAAAAAAAR", to myself.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Song of the Day:

Van Canto - Kings of Metal

I just can't get enough of the ridiculousness of this song. I sometimes catch myself muttering: "neme neme neme nemeWAAAAAAAR", to myself.

Yeah, Van Canto makes very fun covers. Their original stuff aren't really anything memorable but i really like their covers.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

so I got my interface in and I just started messing around with Reaper. I have no idea what I'm doing so far but I think I came up with a decent mix at the very least. This is a cover of a Departure Chandelier song and it is appropriately blown out.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

so I got my interface in and I just started messing around with Reaper. I have no idea what I'm doing so far but I think I came up with a decent mix at the very least. This is a cover of a Departure Chandelier song and it is appropriately blown out.

Very nice. Sounds awesome. What do you use for drums? I've messed around a very small amount with home recording but it was basically hydrogen for the drum machine and audacity for recording everything.

New Alcest is great:

I dig it. Wasn't too into Kodama but I like the darker vibe here. Darker for Alcest anyway.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice. Sounds awesome. What do you use for drums? I've messed around a very small amount with home recording but it was basically hydrogen for the drum machine and audacity for recording everything.
cheers. Yeah I'm running 4 SM57 knockoffs to my interface basically. Kick and snare in the center of the stereo image, and two overheads hard panned. Like I said I'm using Reaper as my DAW which in combination with the interface completely changes everything for me. I was using Audacity for years, too and I never learned how to multi track for drum mixes until recently. You should seriously download Reaper. It's fully functional during its trial period of 60 days and a personal license is like 60 bucks. The ability to use compression plugins alone is amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
one of the longest running jokes in the tech death genre
if it exists he should at least pull an into the moat and release it even if he isn't going to support it

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
i recommend this band from my home city in germany, been following them since their first EP long ago. they got 2 albums out now. Lunar Shadows

they have got pretty popular in metal scene here in germany last year since they got big features in all the major local metal mags.

really nice guitaring harmonies

Decent! But not really mindblowing so far. Just competent heavy metal (which is still better than 100% of -core stuff lol), but I wish they were a bit more... catchy or memorable.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018

Didn't realize it was out until yesterday so I just bought it, will have more time to listen over the weekend but the production already sounds better than Heroes of Mighty Magic and Conti sounds great on the title track.

Majestica's epic Above the Sky is still my #1 power metal album of the year for now.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Who has heard of this? It's from 1997 and it's a ride! Today you would call it early djent if you want or just jazzy experimental metal. I listened to this bastard a few times without fully getting it but it finally clicked when I blasted it through my earphones on a bike trip though nature.

If you don't have the patience just listen to the solo at 9:50 :)