• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Who has heard of this? It's from 1997 and it's a ride! Today you would call it early djent if you want or just jazzy experimental metal. I listened to this bastard a few times without fully getting it but it finally clicked when I blasted it through my earphones on a bike trip though nature.

If you don't have the patience just listen to the solo at 9:50 :)

Well of course it's early djent, it's maybe basically him who invented it (on Messhuggah). That album is niceeee, it must be like 17 years I don't listen to it, maybe I will soon.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Who has heard of this? It's from 1997 and it's a ride! Today you would call it early djent if you want or just jazzy experimental metal. I listened to this bastard a few times without fully getting it but it finally clicked when I blasted it through my earphones on a bike trip though nature.

This is good shit. Reminds me of Devil Doll and The Pax Cecilia in parts (both bands I used to love)

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Kêres (FIN) - Ice, Vapor and Crooked Arrows

one of the most obscure musicians in the Finnish black metal underground has signed with Terratur to release a new LP for perhaps his most guarded project which is notorious for super limited and private releases. Very cool for him, but also good for people holding out for reissues of the Kêres back catalog.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota

This is fucking rad!

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

one of the most obscure musicians in the Finnish black metal underground has signed with Terratur to release a new LP for perhaps his most guarded project which is notorious for super limited and private releases. Very cool for him, but also good for people holding out for reissues of the Kêres back catalog.

Was not expecting this to be that loud right away and my headphones in damn near blew my ears haha.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Well of course it's early djent, it's maybe basically him who invented it (on Messhuggah). That album is niceeee, it must be like 17 years I don't listen to it, maybe I will soon.
Yeah, it's crazy how old this is. It sounds so fresh!

This is good shit. Reminds me of Devil Doll and The Pax Cecilia in parts (both bands I used to love)
That Pax Cecilia album with the owls is on my list now! I gave it a short listen and it intrigued me!

This is fucking rad!
It is! :D If you like this, give Meshuggah (the band this guy is in) a spin :) Chaosphere is a good place to start! It's a "bit" more brutal and chaotic but it's from around the same time and there's all kinds of similar and different stuff and ideas in there.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017

Ummmm....holy shit is that great. I looked up the CD on Amazon...and found wanting $80 for it. It's $.99 on Google Play.. $.99 for a 43 minute song.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I hate it when bands on Bandcamp make you buy the CD, LP, or cassette to get the digital tracks. I just want the digital tracks.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

Good stuff. Ice cold, noisy black metal is always gonna get a thumbs up from me.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Decent! But not really mindblowing so far. Just competent heavy metal (which is still better than 100% of -core stuff lol), but I wish they were a bit more... catchy or memorable.
true, i don't find the lyrics so catchy but I do find some of the guitar work/harmonies quite catchy. my colleague and I love metal and we share an office together and sometimes we take turns to play our music aloud and recommend each other, and this was one he recommended to me along time ago.

btw headbanger era, what is some of your metal merch, like t-shirts? take some pics of what you got. I actually was going through some old stuff I got stored in suitcases, and found my old bathory shirt that I got back when I was a teenager (well not really "found", I knew I had it still, wasn't sure where and haven't worn it in a long time). i think i got like a total of ~30 metal shirts, excluding stuff like punk/goth shirts like xmal deutschland and skeletal family bootleg shirts lol

mahpjd6.jpg

YaL4KQm.jpg

I also found an old katatonia shirt too for Funerals To Come

cLGBLSr.jpg

dmmRBhl.jpg

also got some newer niche stuff like Fluisteraars:

3r6nEnq.jpg

btw the bathory shirt still fits!:

eJwSZ8u.jpg

Last edited:

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm the same as Morrigan. I've got so many of 'em I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe close to 40-50?

I started buying them regularly at shows because it's one of the best ways to support a band financially. Plus, I can wear mine to work (assuming they're not crazy offensive or something), so it works out pretty well for me.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I'm the same as Morrigan. I've got so many of 'em I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe close to 40-50?

I started buying them regularly at shows because it's one of the best ways to support a band financially. Plus, I can wear mine to work (assuming they're not crazy offensive or something), so it works out pretty well for me.
Same haha. Though I still just buy those I think look good to me. Got a few rare/unique tour shirts at least. I remember going to Wacken in 2005 and splurging on rare shirts that you couldn't find anywhere (it's probably fairly easy to find online nowadays though) like Mercyful Fate, Summoning, Ancient Rites, etc.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing beats a good metal longsleeve with different prints on front/back and both arms. I've wanted this Pissgrave one for months but it sells out almost immediately every time it gets restocked.

pissgrave-ls-blnk.jpg

Recently got this new one from Holy Mountain even though I already had a couple of Blood Incantation shirts. It was too cool not to:

STARSPAWN_2000x.png

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Longsleeve metal t shirt and black jeans is one of my favorite looks haha. I just picked up and Ulver - Bergtatt Longsleeve and a Lurker of Chalice Longsleeve. Also have Leviathan, Emperor, Blood Incantation, and Wolves in the Throne Room Longsleeve that I wear a lot.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing beats a good metal longsleeve with different prints on front/back and both arms. I've wanted this Pissgrave one for months but it sells out almost immediately every time it gets restocked.

pissgrave-ls-blnk.jpg

Recently got this new one from Holy Mountain even though I already had a couple of Blood Incantation shirts. It was too cool not to:

STARSPAWN_2000x.png

I'm the complete opposite, I love long-sleeved but HATE when the have shit printed on the sleeves, it drives me nuts, just so tacky to me

Doomshine

Oct 30, 2017
I'm the complete opposite, I love long-sleeved but HATE when the have shit printed on the sleeves, it drives me nuts, just so tacky to me
I usually don't mind the sleeves, but I feel like so many decent looking shirts get ruined by some pointless shit like lyrics or something printed on the back.

I also don't see that many long-sleeved shirts these days, a lot of bands just have hoodies.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I think it really depends with the back lyrics. Some bands have really lame lyrics printed on the back. I had a couple shirts with lyrics on the back but I don't know where they went.

I'm too fat to fit into all my old metal band shirts. I just need to lose about 10 pounds.

This is where I am with some of my shirts. Trying to lose 10 to 20 pounds to fit into my older clothing. I can wear a couple I got recently, but also I can only really wear the tame ones out in my area as I live in a smaller area of VA that has a large old religious community.

I have a couple shirts I wear consistently though, a Rotten Sound shirt I got back a few years ago at a show, a Bolt Thrower shirt, and a Full of Hell shirt. I have a Coffin Dust shirt I wear sometimes but it is a little too gory to wear out frequently. I would post pictures but I'm at work.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Excited to see Demons and Wizards this week! I also didn't realize Lizzy Borden and Tyr are opening for them, so thats a plus!

And man, Schaffer looks a lot different than when I saw him and Iced Earth a few years back.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017

i remember this. Incredible bit of music.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm seeing D&W on Thursday night and am very excited for it.

Also, I don't care as much for band shirts with blank backs because it means I'm not showing anything off to the people behind me at concerts.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be seeing Demons & Wizards on their last stop of the tour at ProgPower. Never thought I'd see them live, so that was a really nice surprise announcement last year.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see Demons and Wizards this week! I also didn't realize Lizzy Borden and Tyr are opening for them, so thats a plus!

And man, Schaffer looks a lot different than when I saw him and Iced Earth a few years back.

Hell Yeah! Seeing them next week too. I never thought I'd see Iced Earth or Blind Guardian live, and especially not Demons & Wizards.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Feel a bit nervous posting this, but over the last like year and a half I put together a metal project of some kind. I honestly don't really expect anyone here to like it for about a thousand reasons, but it was fun to make. Except mastering. Fuck mastering that shit is annoying.

If this isn't allowed, I'll take it down. otherwise the video isn't monetized and the album is free if anyone wants it.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Feel a bit nervous posting this, but over the last like year and a half I put together a metal project of some kind. I honestly don't really expect anyone here to like it for about a thousand reasons, but it was fun to make. Except mastering. Fuck mastering that shit is annoying.

If this isn't allowed, I'll take it down. otherwise the video isn't monetized and the album is free if anyone wants it.

Not bad! I gave it a listen a bit ago. Certainly has an underground vibe to it. I think it could be mixed better, but I'm not sure if that's part of the painful mastering process! The track I liked most was Kill the Light. Nice riffs and a good speed to it.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Not bad! I gave it a listen a bit ago. Certainly has an underground vibe to it. I think it could be mixed better, but I'm not sure if that's part of the painful mastering process! The track I liked most was Kill the Light. Nice riffs and a good speed to it.
I don't have proper studio monitors, which is why the mix is a bit rough despite my best efforts to make it...not rough. It's one of the reasons I've decided to throw it out to the wild for free.

Appreciate the listen though :)

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

saw that you gave my track a listen the other day, cheers. If I may offer my two cents. First, it's always a feat to have completed a project of this length no matter what it is, so kudos. From your descriptions everything in this project sans vocals is plugin based? Interesting to say the least. It would be interesting to hear the "live" renditions of some of these tracks. May just be the genre but I kinda wished the drums were a little more straight ahead than that tom-heavy, percussive style. I would have also liked to hear some dual guitars/harmonies. The riffing actually kinda makes me think of djent rather than DM overall. I think you should keep this thing open. It a perfectly fine base to refine your riffs and work on from an engineering perspective. From a musical standpoint, you'll find your style. Keep it going.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
saw that you gave my track a listen the other day, cheers. If I may offer my two cents. First, it's always a feat to have completed a project of this length no matter what it is, so kudos. From your descriptions everything in this project sans vocals is plugin based? Interesting to say the least. It would be interesting to hear the "live" renditions of some of these tracks. May just be the genre but I kinda wished the drums were a little more straight ahead than that tom-heavy, percussive style. I would have also liked to hear some dual guitars/harmonies. The riffing actually kinda makes me think of djent rather than DM overall. I think you should keep this thing open. It a perfectly fine base to refine your riffs and work on from an engineering perspective. From a musical standpoint, you'll find your style. Keep it going.
Yup! I cannot play the guitar nor the drums. Or bass. Thankfully there's now a program for that :P Maybe someday I'll learn, but there are only so many hours in the day. But I feel like I have to be upfront about it because "computers are killing music" or something, and I want to at least be honest with where this project came from and why it exists.

As to keeping it open, if you mean keep working on it, that I think I'm done with. This bastard's taken 600 or so hours of my life, and I'm kind of exhausted with it. The goal was to make something "not terrible" and to learn how to do a bunch of the basics, like mix screams into a song, or record myself, or put together a virtual drum room, etc. From that point of view, I've landed where I want to, and unless I invest in some better audio equipment, I'm not sure I can really FIX the mixing issues that still exist.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Yup! I cannot play the guitar nor the drums. Or bass. Thankfully there's now a program for that :P Maybe someday I'll learn, but there are only so many hours in the day. But I feel like I have to be upfront about it because "computers are killing music" or something, and I want to at least be honest with where this project came from and why it exists.

As to keeping it open, if you mean keep working on it, that I think I'm done with. This bastard's taken 600 or so hours of my life, and I'm kind of exhausted with it. The goal was to make something "not terrible" and to learn how to do a bunch of the basics, like mix screams into a song, or record myself, or put together a virtual drum room, etc. From that point of view, I've landed where I want to, and unless I invest in some better audio equipment, I'm not sure I can really FIX the mixing issues that still exist.

What program are you using by the way?

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Really digging this song. Anyone have some favorite songs of theirs by Insomnium that I should check out?

The Killjoy is incredible and my favorite song of theirs ever. I think it's before they started adding in clean vocals.

FL Studio for my DAW, Shreddage2 for the guitar VST. Comes with a pretty spiffy amp sim, though I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it.

Thank you! I'll look into it!

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017