• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Great Album. Waiting for the Vinyl release. Strong contender for Black Metal album of the year.

Imperium Dekadenz also released a new album last friday. Awesome band, awesome records. I never heard anything bad from them.

Damn, I like this Imperium Dekadenz quite a bit. Never listened to them before but will go through their back catalog.

Still need to listen to the new Mgla too.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Atlantean Kodex are releasing their new album "The Course Of Empire" next friday. Their label started to send out the copies yesterday and therefore they are streaming the full album on youtube.

If you never heard of Atlantean Kodex, their guitar player described their music perfectly: "Imagine Quorthon raping Uriah Heep while ,Into Glory Ride' is blasting from an old tapedeck" Really great, awesome and epic music. Probably my album of the year.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
new Profanatica

it's good

new 1349

it's pretty good, like it the least of the new ones they've put out. probably didn't need to be 6 minutes long

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Wow this new track from 1349 is good!

Really like new Mgla

Too bad that I couldn't get a ticket for their concert, because somebody booked the gig really late and only the smallest venue was still available :(

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Really like the new 1349 stuff, they are getting better again.
I used to listen to an older album of MGLA quite often on youtube, but I personally will not support them any further.

At the moment i really like the mixture of black and trash metal such as panzer squad:

and Bunker 66

and Tresspasser, which are more standard black metal:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Sad news. Hartmuth Schindler aka "Black Goat", owner of Barbarian Wrath and Nazgul Eyrie, has passed away, after being pulled from life support after 2 years (!!) in a coma:

I only ever met him and his wife once IRL, but we spoke online often in the early days of Metal Archives and these two's passion for metal, especially underground metal, was unparalleled. While this was, sadly, a long time coming in a sense, I just can't imagine how awful the last two years must have been for his wife. My sincerest condolences to Cheryl and I hope she at least gets some closure.

😢

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Sad news. Hartmuth Schindler aka "Black Goat", owner of Barbarian Wrath and Nazgul Eyrie, has passed away, after being pulled from life support after 2 years (!!) in a coma:

I only ever met him and his wife once IRL, but we spoke online often in the early days of Metal Archives and these two's passion for metal, especially underground metal, was unparalleled. While this was, sadly, a long time coming in a sense, I just can't imagine how awful the last two years must have been for his wife. My sincerest condolences to Cheryl and I hope she at least gets some closure.

😢

Hart was a class act, loved discussing music with him and I was heartbroken when I heard the news of his illness and eventual life support. It has been hell on Cheryl. If you are a metal fan, thrash especially, Cheryl ran Witches Brew label, she is a wonderful person and I've sent my deepest condolences out to her. The two of them did so much for underground metal.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

😢
terrible news. Nazgul's Eyrie and Barbarian Wrath were legendary operations of the underground. I was on their YouTube channel just last week listening to Tearstained tracks on my way to work. They were one of the first distros I went to for black metal and they opened my eyes to the old school ways. RIP.

Oct 25, 2017
FIRST SINGLE FROM BLIND GUARDIAN'S TWILIGHT ORCHESTRA IS HERE!

I have NO clue who this uploader is. There have been rumblings for a while that the single would release today, but this channel certainly doesn't seem official. Get it while it's hot.

Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra – "Point of No Return"

I'll refrain from sharing my thoughts until I've given it several more listens, because it's certainly different than what I was expecting.

Last edited:

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
HEY! Stop what you're doing and listen to new fucking NNNNNIIIIILLLLLLLEEEEE!

Oct 27, 2017
new despised icon :o :o :o (not sure if I'm a fan - the breakdown sucks for sure)

there's a new kayo dot album out today too even if it isn't exactly metal !!

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
New Nile tracklisting.

01. Long Shadows Of Dread
02. The Oxford Handbook Of Savage Genocidal Warfare
03. Vile Nilotic Rites
04. Seven Horns Of War
05. That Which Is Forbidden
06. Snake Pit Mating Frenzy
07. Revel In Their Suffering
08. Thus Sayeth The Parasites Of The Mind
09. Where Is The Wrathful Skies
10. The Imperishable Stars Are Sickened
11. We Are Cursed

Can I please laugh my ass off at the second title?

Also, the song that's out is super fucking generic and forgettable, much like their last two albums, sadly.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day:

I'm ready to hand over the reins of friday's "Song of the Day". I don't know if anyone is next in line for it, but have at it.

I'll play myself out with this little ditty:

Raunchy - Watch Out

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
FIRST SINGLE FROM BLIND GUARDIAN'S TWILIGHT ORCHESTRA IS HERE!

I have NO clue who this uploader is. There have been rumblings for a while that the single would release today, but this channel certainly doesn't seem official. Get it while it's hot.

Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra – "Point of No Return"

I'll refrain from sharing my thoughts until I've given it several more listens, because it's certainly different than what I was expecting.

2 minutes in and... yeah this is modern BG all right :\ Still no guitars even [edit: there are no guitars at all, it's just some boring Walt Disney symphonic interlude that lasts 6:30 minutes... pass]

I miss 90's Blind Guardian so much

Last edited:

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
Don't sleep on the new MGLA or Atlantean Kodex people. Both are excellent albums.

The Blind Guardian track leaves me indifferent. I love BG but miss the "metal" in this track.
BG was the first metal band I saw live, in october of 1996.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man how good is that new Shadow of Intent?! Haven't given it many replays so far but every track on that new album is an absolute banger.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it awesome when you randomly remember a band you used to love and haven't listened to in years? Alamaailman Vasarat used to be the shit to my ears. Then, IIRC, they added vocals to their later stuff and I didn't enjoy them as much (much like Apocalyptica).

If you like the sound of a polka/metal/jazz mix then check 'em out.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
The Blind Guardian track leaves me indifferent. I love BG but miss the "metal" in this track.
BG was the first metal band I saw live, in october of 1996.
I do not think that we will see a lot of 'metal' in their release...

As we are talking about implementation of symphonic orchestra / choir into the metal music, I think nobody can beat Skalmold and Iceland Symphonic Orchestra I also like Satyricon with Norwegian Opera Chorus. Both can be found on Youtube...

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

normally not excited about full fledged remakes of old classics, but this is pretty cool. This uploader definitely messed up somewhere, though.

Oct 25, 2017
2 minutes in and... yeah this is modern BG all right :\ Still no guitars even [edit: there are no guitars at all, it's just some boring Walt Disney symphonic interlude that lasts 6:30 minutes... pass]

I miss 90's Blind Guardian so much

To be fair, the band's already stated that this particular album is a special case and was an experiment they'd been wanting to do for about 20 years now (all orchestral BG).

It's a one-off experiment, so the next album will actually have guitars and be a metal album. Though I will relent that the odds of them ever going back to the heavier 90's BG sound is unlikely.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
The new Serpent Column album was released this morning. I am loving it as much as the first release

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Arnaut Pavle (FIN)

Mystískaos has at long last released the debut full-length (top) of this amazing Finnish black metal project. As the label puts it, punk-tinged and inspired by the likes of Darkthrone and Craft. Really killer stuff. They are also handling the LP version of the demo (bottom) which was all we had for years before the band faded away into obscurity until now.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017

Arnaut Pavle (FIN)

Mystískaos has at long last released the debut full-length (top) of this amazing Finnish black metal project. As the label puts it, punk-tinged and inspired by the likes of Darkthrone and Craft. Really killer stuff. They are also handling the LP version of the demo (bottom) which was all we had for years before the band faded away into obscurity until now.

That demo is a beast. I picked both of them up

New Narrenwind track released as well a few days ago. I am loving the sound of it already and I am digging it more than the feel of the album they released late last year.

"Eons ago, before the oceans drank Atlantis, the Race of mighty Giants used to dwell here, on the territory of what is known now as Poland. One day, centuries later, a mighty son of these Giants decided to set up his Kingdom on this land. Listen to his tale... It is only I, his chronicler, that can tell thee his saga. I do believe his tale is within all of you. It is a manifestation of your energy. It is what all of you are seeking. For what we are all seeking is not a meaning for life. What we are seeking is the rapture that will tear us apart. Let this myth grant you this feeling. Let the story of "Ja, Dago" take you there. "

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
That demo is a beast. I picked both of them up
yeah definitely. No frills badassery.

by the way I picked up that Serpent Column as kind of a blind buy and holy shit that LP is dope. Honestly, for the most part I felt like I was listening to a really aggressive post-hardcore record that would magically transform into Calculating Infinity from time to time haha. Not what I expected at all but I absolutely love it.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
My thoughts on some newish singles:
Mayhem - Sounds pretty good
Profanatica - Got it preordered, #fuckthebloodofthelamb
Esoteric - Got it preordered, sounds amazing
Hideous Divinity - Sounds awesome
Nile - disappointed...
Blind Guardian - boring lol

Also if any of you are up for some rustic black metal insanity then give UNGFELL a shot because I just bought this album on bandcamp and it kicks major ass!

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
yeah definitely. No frills badassery.

by the way I picked up that Serpent Column as kind of a blind buy and holy shit that LP is dope. Honestly, for the most part I felt like I was listening to a really aggressive post-hardcore record that would magically transform into Calculating Infinity from time to time haha. Not what I expected at all but I absolutely love it.
The first album is just as good, check it as well. Glad they got added to the Mystískaos lineup for more exposure.