• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
How have I never heard of these guys before? I just listened to some stuff from their 2013 album, it's incredible. Reminds me of Lykathea Aflame (also from the Czech Republic so maybe there's something to be said for the eastern influence there...)

Cult of Fire fucking rules. So does Death Karma, same members. https://deathkarma.bandcamp.com/album/the-history-of-death-burial-rituals-part-i

Recently discovered Sijjin. Some destructive powerful 90s inspired death metal shit going on here.

a1200024864_10.jpg

Sijjin - Angel of the Eastern Gate

Last edited:

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, any of you losers listen to the Cult of Luna leak yet?

My fucking God, it is so good.

It's a grower, too. At first listen I was like.. Yeah, it's OK I guess. Then I went, alright that's pretty interesting. And now this will probably end up being AOTY for me.

Can't wait for the artbook vinyl, argh

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

new BaN is always worth checking out. Time to worship their claustrophobic classic, along with a complementary rec. I'd put Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy... right alongside these two.

BaN are just fucking insanely good. Ultima Thule, Memoria Vetusta trilogy, 777 Trilogy, and the TWWTG are all masterpieces. It's amazing to me how much he is able to shift the sound of BaN across their albums but still keep a consitent thread that makes most everything easily recognizable as BaN.

Also, I was browsing some new releases and saw Katatonia's Night is the New Day is getting a 10th anniversary addition. Which is cool I guess but god damn, realizing that album is 10 years old makes me feel old as hell.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Also, I was browsing some new releases and saw Katatonia's Night is the New Day is getting a 10th anniversary addition. Which is cool I guess but god damn, realizing that album is 10 years old makes me feel old as hell.
Katatonia is one of those bands I never got around to despite being aware of their popularity with other people in my circle. Where should I start?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Katatonia is one of those bands I never got around to despite being aware of their popularity with other people in my circle. Where should I start?
Viva Emptiness is by far the most varied in songwriting and my favorite. One of my favorite albums of all time.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down is more raw and dark and usually the fan favorite.
The Fall of Hearts is becoming a top tier for me. It's their newest and more proggy in a way.
The Great Cold Distance is goth rock and precise in its songwriting. Shorter songs with some great riffs and lyrics that get in your head.

Really nowhere bad to start imo. But maybe those descriptions will give you a start.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

My two cents is: Sounds of Decay for the perfect tease length (it's a three song ep) and the glorious Akerfeldt growls, when those where a thing (think Crimson growls). If you like that, Brave Murder Day for the full length (but imo it's worse).

Disclaimer: I'm not really a fan of them lol

Edit: oh and Tonight's Decision is kinda the transition phase before the Viva style and has Dan Swano on drums. It's nice too.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Viva Emptiness is by far the most varied in songwriting and my favorite. One of my favorite albums of all time.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down is more raw and dark and usually the fan favorite.
The Fall of Hearts is becoming a top tier for me. It's their newest and more proggy in a way.
The Great Cold Distance is goth rock and precise in its songwriting. Shorter songs with some great riffs and lyrics that get in your head.

Really nowhere bad to start imo. But maybe those descriptions will give you a start.

This is a good guide that I would agree with. I maybe wouldn't start with The Fall of Hearts but that's just because it's lower tier for me on a list of their albums but it's still pretty damn good. They are a consistently good band that has a somewhat varied discorogaphy so even among fans, a good place of entry is going to be disputed. The Great Cold Distance was the first album I listened too and I was a fan instantly after that. Brave Murder Day is also a place to start if you want the more death/doom style of their early stuff that has Akerfeldt on vocals too but know that it is pretty different from most of their stuff.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good guide that I would agree with. I maybe wouldn't start with The Fall of Hearts but that's just because it's lower tier for me on a list of their albums but it's still pretty damn good. They are a consistently good band that has a somewhat varied discorogaphy so even among fans, a good place of entry is going to be disputed. The Great Cold Distance was the first album I listened too and I was a fan instantly after that. Brave Murder Day is also a place to start if you want the more death/doom style of their early stuff that has Akerfeldt on vocals too but know that it is pretty different from most of their stuff.

Fall of Hearts blows me away every time. It's really becoming a second favorite but hard to beat the nostalgia I have for some of their other records.

I do love Brave Murder Day but it's such a different sound that I doubt that's why that posters friend circle enjoys them. So yeah listen to it if you want some doom/death metal but that's not a good intro to what most like Katatonia for.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
New Ghost. Definitely not metal but frankly given the insane amount of thought they've put into their mythos at this point I don't care.

Also "Seven Inches of Satanic Panic" is hilarious.

Love what they've been doing :) Sometimes wish Tobias would bring Repugnant back just for funsies, but dude probably doesn't have time anymore.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I wish Ghost had made their debut and then disappeared into the ether. Everything after the debut has been more horrible than the one before.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I like all the Blaze songs that made it onto Bruce sets over the years so I can't say I agree. Sign of the Cross has been one of my favorite Maiden tunes since Rock in Rio.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Bruce isn't on the best Maiden album.
The songs sound way better with Di'Anno.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Depends on the price and which billing they get. If it's to play 30 min as an opener for a $60 ticket, probably not

Funny thing, I've never been to any metal shows before. I get really nervous about public gatherings and all, but I'm trying my damnest to work through it. Almost saw Dethklok once, but that didn't pan out.

Also, hello MetalEra. A pleasure.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
it's kinda funny, sometime in the early 00's I was reading some metal magazine at a Media Play, and they had an interview with Di'Anno. I specifically remember a bit where they ask him what he thinks about Bruce on his songs and he said something to the effect of "he sounds like a fucking fairy" lmao. Inclined to agree, but I disagree that either of the first two are the best Maiden LP. The self-titled is brilliant from top to bottom and it has Phantom of the Opera, but 1a and 1b for me are Powerslave and Somewhere in Time without a doubt.

side note, I don't think Nicko could ever do Clive's songs justice either.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
For me it is their debut at number 1, might be my favorite metal album ever, then Killers and followed by Seventh Son. Though I'm the heathen who likes Bruce's solo work better than his Maiden work not including Seventh Son.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the X-Factor, but find Virtual XI to be super boring.

Also: Dethklok is great. I think I could listen to Dethalbum II infinity times.

Also also: I've never listened to Opeth before; I recently picked up Sorceress and Pale Communion and was blown away. Also picked up Katatonia's Fall of Hearts and loved it so I guess I am in kind of the mood for proggy and melancholy metal? Any other recommendations? I also have Pallbearer's Heartless and I like it but not as much as the others.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
The Bruce-era albums (up to a point) are obviously great, Killers was always my favorite though.

I always end getting places way too early. Even when I try to show up late, I'll get to a show 30 minutes before the opener because I'm a psycho. The amount of awful bands I've had to suffer through is one of the reasons I barely bother going any more. So I get being particular about a lineup.

Shitty headliners are the best though. Home before midnight.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Also also: I've never listened to Opeth before; I recently picked up Sorceress and Pale Communion and was blown away. Also picked up Katatonia's Fall of Hearts and loved it so I guess I am in kind of the mood for proggy and melancholy metal? Any other recommendations? I also have Pallbearer's Heartless and I like it but not as much as the others.

Off the top of my head maybe Riverside "Wasteland," Sermon "Birth of the Marvelous," Soen "Lotus," or The Contortionist "Clairvoyant."

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Ghost, I actually really dug Meliora after Infestissumam was kind of a letdown. It had some great tracks, but I found most of it forgettable.

Nothing they've done tops Opus Eponymous, though. I'd kill for another album in that style.

Also, the best Maiden album is Powerslave. I thought we established this already. I do have a soft spot for Killers, though.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
1. Somewhere in Time
2. Powerslave
3. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
4. Piece Of Mind
5. Number Of The Beast
6. Killers

That's my personal Maiden order and the ones I listen to regularly.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
Been on a real doom/occult kick after making a few Google Play stations based on Uncle Acid and Lucifer. Stumbled upon Beastmaker and am loving their stuff. I hear some Pentagram influences, some Black Sabbath, and even some Venom in there. This song is a great opener for their album:

To those of you that have been into doom metal/rock for a while, what's some good shit you can recommend? I feel like I know most of the big ones, but creating these stations has made me discover a lot of stuff.