• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I think having a decade list now is pretty shitty anyway. 2019 isn't even over yet, and I doubt many releases this year got much consideration since they're so new and you don't know the impact. Wait until publications and such have figured out 2019's music.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think having a decade list now is pretty shitty anyway. 2019 isn't even over yet, and I doubt many releases this year got much consideration since they're so new and you don't know the impact. Wait until publications and such have figured out 2019's music.
Yeah, like say Nespithe, that's an album that I believe didn't get the notoriety it has now until YEARS afterwards. I'm sure other albums are similar but they're escaping my mind, was Disembowelment's album one that slowly gained reception?

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
They're off by 5 years with that Rivers of Nihil album (it's 2018, not 2013). Also it's overwhelmingly full of saxophone.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
I actually like that metalsucks list. Sure my personal top 25 list would be different but as a collective consensus of x amount of people it is actually decent. This might be the first time of looking at any "best of" music list that I can say i have at least listened to most of these albums. ( I'm mainstream! Suck it, Pitchforks top 200 few weeks back.)

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
I always do a double take when I see what bands and industry people are listening to. They don't really seem to go that much out of the metal-mainstream. That is of course a pretty generalizing statement, but it is kinda what that list signify.
In regards to Ghost, it is just damn catchy music. Though I would say that Meliora (Redux) ranks highest in catchyness. "Square Hammer" could almost carry an entire album filled with duds.

Oct 27, 2017
the results don't really surprise me, but I was hoping to see one of my favs

spawn of possession - incurso
krallice - diotima or ygg huur
scale the summit - the collective
deathspell omega - the synarchy of molten bones
vektor - terminal redux
maybe a blut aus nord album

dysrhythmia would probably find its way on there

also a tiny bit surprised @ no devin townsend. deconstruction maybe?

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Holyfuck...totally blown away by this new Blood Incantation album. I loved every second of those 36 minutes. The Giza Power Plant is just...fucking incredible. This feels like it's my AOTY already.

This song/vid rules. I'll be addicted to this album for a long time.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Metalsucks polled 180 prominent metal musicians and industry insiders to determine The 25 Best Metal Albums of 2010 – 2019. They finally finished the list. It's pretty interesting:

#25: Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas, Mariner (2016)
#24: Triptykon, Eparistera Daimones (2010)
#23: Pig Destroyer, Book Burner (2012)
#22: Yob, Clearing the Path to Ascend (2014)
#21: The Black Dahlia Murder, Ritual (2011)
#20: Mastodon, Once More 'Round the Sun (2014)
#19: At the Gates, At War with Reality (2012)
#18: Meshuggah, Koloss (2012)
#17: Gorguts, Colored Sands (2012)
#16: Between the Buried and Me, The Parallax II: Future Sequence (2012)
#15: The Ocean, Pelagial (2013)
#14: Kvelertak, Kvelertak (2010)
#13: Judas Priest, Firepower (2018)
#12: Metallica, Hardwired… to Self-Destruct (2016)
#11: Converge, All We Love We Leave Behind (2012)
#10: The Dillinger Escape Plan, One of Us Is the Killer (2013)
#9: Rivers of Nihil, Where Owls Know My Name (2013)
#8: Deafheaven, Sunbather (2013)
#7: Baroness, Yellow & Green (2012)
#6: Power Trip, Nightmare Logic (2016)
#5: Ghost, Opus Eponymous (2010)
#4: Deftones, Diamond Eyes (2010)
#3: Behemoth, The Satanist (2014)
#2: Carcass, Surgical Steel (2013)
#1: Gojira, Magma (2016)

Of course any list is going to be incredibly subjective by nature, but other than the numbering, I'd have to say this is pretty solid. To my tastes anyway.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017

I really enjoy the album but it's a bit deflating to wait this long feeling like "okay, every song they've put out is awesome, can't wait to finally hear the full thing" and then it comes out and it's like "oh i've already heard half of it and those were the best songs"

Last edited:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Holyfuck...totally blown away by this new Blood Incantation album. I loved every second of those 36 minutes. The Giza Power Plant is just...fucking incredible. This feels like it's my AOTY already.

This song/vid rules. I'll be addicted to this album for a long time.

How did you listen to it? Really looking forward to it

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYS! Someone reminded me BOLT THROWER exist but I don't know what album to start with. Like, they're fucking rad, but what's your favorite album so I can listen and then buy it?

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYS! Someone reminded me BOLT THROWER exist but I don't know what album to start with. Like, they're fucking rad, but what's your favorite album so I can listen and then buy it?

also:
New Blattaria album out today

and also just picked this massive release which was unleashed last week

Last edited:

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Ditto. I still maintain that Embers at the 2 minute mark is the heaviest, crunchiest, delectable riff that exists.

That said, you really can't go wrong with any Bolt Thrower album. Even Mercenary and Honour - Valour - Pride are decent. I'd actually recommend just starting at Realm of Chaos and working your forward.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Ditto. I still maintain that Embers at the 2 minute mark is the heaviest, crunchiest, delectable riff that exists.

That said, you really can't go wrong with any Bolt Thrower album. Even Mercenary and Honour - Valour - Pride are decent. I'd actually recommend just starting at Realm of Chaos and working your forward.

Yeah, they are brilliant.

Conkersbadfurday

Give them all a listen

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I REALLY like mercenary

By the way, Spotify now has the first albums from From Ashes Rise, one of the best crust-punk/dbeat bands ever (from the same school as his hero it's gone, tragedy, deathreat...). These records are seriously perfect, not one single less than amazing song. And great great great lyrics too, btw.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I love them all really, but I might echo The IVth Crusade, if only for This Time It's War. That riff... you know the one...

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Realm of Chaos is my favorite. Love that it's a little faster and a little messier than their later stuff. They are all great though.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
So far I've listened to the first 1/4 of The IVth Crusade and really dig it. Meant to continue but had to go run errands. Plan on finishing it tonight! Will probably go to my local record store and have 'em order me a copy if some still exist.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Saw the Misfits last night, but missed Brodequin and Despise You/Dropdead. The joys of living in NYC.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Does it sometime just spring into your mind that Holy Wars, Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls are part of the same album and your mind is consequently blown?

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Who has the best quality t-shirts of any band? For me, it is what Amon Amarth sells on Victorious Merch. Anyone else have any good recommendations?

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Old man rant incoming

But like WTF why does no one know how to mix concerts anymore? If it's so loud you can't even hear the singer and it blows out people's ears what's the point. Turn the volume down so we can at least hear the musicians and not static.

/rant

Korranator

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Metalsucks polled 180 prominent metal musicians and industry insiders to determine The 25 Best Metal Albums of 2010 – 2019. They finally finished the list. It's pretty interesting:

#25: Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas, Mariner (2016)
#24: Triptykon, Eparistera Daimones (2010)
#23: Pig Destroyer, Book Burner (2012)
#22: Yob, Clearing the Path to Ascend (2014)
#21: The Black Dahlia Murder, Ritual (2011)
#20: Mastodon, Once More 'Round the Sun (2014)
#19: At the Gates, At War with Reality (2012)
#18: Meshuggah, Koloss (2012)
#17: Gorguts, Colored Sands (2012)
#16: Between the Buried and Me, The Parallax II: Future Sequence (2012)
#15: The Ocean, Pelagial (2013)
#14: Kvelertak, Kvelertak (2010)
#13: Judas Priest, Firepower (2018)
#12: Metallica, Hardwired… to Self-Destruct (2016)
#11: Converge, All We Love We Leave Behind (2012)
#10: The Dillinger Escape Plan, One of Us Is the Killer (2013)
#9: Rivers of Nihil, Where Owls Know My Name (2013)
#8: Deafheaven, Sunbather (2013)
#7: Baroness, Yellow & Green (2012)
#6: Power Trip, Nightmare Logic (2016)
#5: Ghost, Opus Eponymous (2010)
#4: Deftones, Diamond Eyes (2010)
#3: Behemoth, The Satanist (2014)
#2: Carcass, Surgical Steel (2013)
#1: Gojira, Magma (2016)
That entire list is overrated.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
Old man rant incoming

But like WTF why does no one know how to mix concerts anymore? If it's so loud you can't even hear the singer and it blows out people's ears what's the point. Turn the volume down so we can at least hear the musicians and not static.

/rant

every damn arena show i go to is like this. waste of money when mixing sucks. at tool show this week some of the mixing was straight garbage tier.