• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Old man rant incoming

But like WTF why does no one know how to mix concerts anymore? If it's so loud you can't even hear the singer and it blows out people's ears what's the point. Turn the volume down so we can at least hear the musicians and not static.

/rant

It is indeed awful for the most part. I love going to shows and seeing bands live, but it's a complete crapshoot if the sound will be reasonable. Earplugs shouldn't be a requirement.

Trying to think of something recent that really comes to mind, but I'm just thinking of Wintersun just about a year ago. Sound was pretty awful, but if you knew the tracks it was enough to enjoy. They play the newer track "storm" or whatever it's called. i have no fucking clue what is going on, it was a complete mess. Less is more applies to sound mixing too.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
It is indeed awful for the most part. I love going to shows and seeing bands live, but it's a complete crapshoot if the sound will be reasonable. Earplugs shouldn't be a requirement.

Trying to think of something recent that really comes to mind, but I'm just thinking of Wintersun just about a year ago. Sound was pretty awful, but if you knew the tracks it was enough to enjoy. They play the newer track "storm" or whatever it's called. i have no fucking clue what is going on, it was a complete mess. Less is more applies to sound mixing too.
I've been to 4 concerts recently where it was unbearable.

I Saw Rivers of Nihil and the venue has the speaker setup for a place 100 times the size (no joke).
Saw Jeff Beck, JEFF BECK! of all people and the sound was so bad everytime he did a high note it literally hurt my ears because of how poorly mixed it was.
And then Amon Amarth and Tool this week same thing.
Like I don't get it. Do other people like having their hearing permantely damaged and I am just the outlier?

Shane

Oct 25, 2017

I Saw Rivers of Nihil and the venue has the speaker setup for a place 100 times the size (no joke).
Saw Jeff Beck, JEFF BECK! of all people and the sound was so bad everytime he did a high note it literally hurt my ears because of how poorly mixed it was.
Like I don't get it. Do other people like having their hearing permantely damaged and I am just the outlier?

I have no idea how someone sits behind the soundboard and decides "yeah, this sounds good!"

I'll always tell people I think the best show I've ever seen is Steve Vai.. and this must've been about 10 years ago now. It sounded immaculate.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how someone sits behind the soundboard and decides "yeah, this sounds good!"

I'll always tell people I think the best show I've ever seen is Steve Vai.. and this must've been about 10 years ago now. It sounded immaculate.
Yeah, part of me wonders if it's that old line of thinking of "Love it loud" or "if it's too loud your too old" macho thinking.

I've seen Tool Twice before it was great so not sure why this was different.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
The new Mayhem is a fun listen. I don't know how much staying power it will really have for me but it's cool to hear them play some old sounding shit

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017

Where did you see Amon Amarth recently? Hammerstein Ballroom a few weekends ago?

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
My favourite venue in Montreal is closing 😭

RIP Katacombes. So many good memories there. Saw unique shows for Pagan Altar like their 3h set, along with Manilla Road, Satan, Varathron, and so many others.

End of an era!

RIP, heard about this yesterday as well. I don't recall actually seeing any shows there, I pretty much stuck to Fouf's I never ventured to other venues.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
Good Friday of releases with Alcest, Ruinmagick, and Vastum. What else did I miss being released this week?

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
Good Friday of releases with Alcest, Ruinmagick, and Vastum. What else did I miss being released this week?

Not from last week but from this month, check new Verheerer - Monolith
But it's a grower, one of this month's/year highlights for me.

If you check/like it i have more "flying under the radar" recommendations.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
I want my Black Metal to be high quality tightly produced rich and so you can hear each and every instrument.
So I've never really liked Mayhem...

But damn, Daemon is just up my alley! Happy for them to be able to come out with an album such as this, instead of the earlier crust punk shit.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I want my Black Metal to be high quality tightly produced rich and so you can hear each and every instrument.
So I've never really liked Mayhem...

But damn, Daemon is just up my alley! Happy for them to be able to come out with an album such as this, instead of the earlier crust punk shit.
are you maybe thinking about Darkthrone?

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I always thought Savatage's Beyond the Doors of the Dark had a great halloween vibe

Also speaking of creepy stuff looks like a new Havohej full length is out! Seems Paul Ledney has been a busy man this year. I have fond memories of Kembatinan Premaster because i listened to it a bunch during my first semester at community college.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, after one of their best albums in a long long time Children of Bodom is losing their drummer, bassist, and keyboardist.

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce that 2019 will be the last for Children Of Bodom with this lineup.

"After almost 25 years with BODOM, thousands of shows and 10 albums, it is time for Henkka, Janne and Jaska to step back and change direction within their lives. All three will miss the fans and supporters in every city in every country the band ever played.

"The last show of this lineup will be on the 15th of December at Helsinki Ice Hall. Tickets still remain for some of the Finnish shows in December.

"Alexi and Daniel will have further announcements about their plans to keep creating new music in the future.

"Thanks again for everything."

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Bodom had as good a rhythm section as you could ask for for a melodeath band (always loved the punchy bass tone) and obviously Janne Warman's keyboards were as important to their sound as any guitar riff. Huge loss for the band but Hexed was a great album to go out on and I'm curious to see who joins the band going forward.
Gonna jam out to the underrated Blooddrunk in their honor! Love that keyboard sound!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
TIL Children of Bodom still exists

Although just barely, apparently

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I had a spirited debate this morning regarding the best Annihilator album. Which one do you choose as your favorite?

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Alice in Hell, no contest. Never, Neverland has a lot of melodic genius and Rampage couldn't have fit squarely on it without some adjustments, but it has always been a big what-if for me.