• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck. This one hits hard.

Sean was one of my favorite drummers. His work with Death, Cynic and Portal was amazing.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Ugghhhh Sean Reinert was my absolute favorite drummer in metal. Two of my favorite drummers (Peart & Reinert) now gone :(

His monster fills, groove, speed and precision was unrivaled.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Human was a really early death metal album for me and did a lot to get me into the genre. I later became a huge fan of Cynic, too. Just an incredibly talented drummer. RIP.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Just a friendly reminder that this is Megadeth's best album

No way, it's probably their 3rd at best. I actually heard it before Peace Sells and thought that it actually came out before that album due to how much of a drop in quality there was overall between the two (so much fucking filler), although the last track on So far is actually what got me hooked on the band, and it's still one of my favorites.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
No way, it's probably their 3rd at best. I actually heard it before Peace Sells and thought that it actually came out before that album due to how much of a drop in quality there was overall between the two (so much fucking filler), although the last track on So far is actually what got me hooked on the band, and it's still one of my favorites.

I'll fight you.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Between Sean and Kobe....what the hell is going on?

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Martin Mendez (Opeth bassist) new band White Stones new single:

Why do all the members of Opeth go on to found new bands that sound like Opeth?

coma

Oct 28, 2017
That feeling when you see The Locust is opening for Napalm Death on their U.S. tour, but then realize your city gets Aborted instead. Yuck.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
God damn it, literally last night reminiscing about how much I loved their s/t album so went to find out what they've been doing the past 10 years and read that Apzu was going to release this year, their first album since 2011. I jinxed it :(

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Figured there would be a Metal community on Era, nice. Gonna use the OP template to somewhat introduce myself to this side of the forum
  • What draws you into metal?

I like the aggressive sound. Although I typically listen to most genres, Metal and Hard Rock are my most listened to.

• Favorite genre(s)

I typically listen to Progressive Metal and Thrash, just began to explore Viking Metal. I grew up with Grunge era stuff like Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, I also listen to the typical stuff Metallica, Megadeth, Disturbed and whatever else they play on the radio, but I am expanding my palate into material that isn't mainstream.

• Favorite band(s)

Dream Theater, Symphony X, Rhapsody (Rhapsody of Fire), Blind Guardian, and as of recently a band called Týr

• First album(s) (what got you into the music?)

Not so much albums but rather specific songs but I guess the most notable CD I remember was Metallica's Black Album and Octavarium from Dream Theater.

• New favorite album(s) (recent discoveries, new or old)

I've just discovered Týr and been checking out Valkyrja and Hel on Spotify.

• Favorite instrument and why?

I like the guitar because I find John Petrucci's technique unreal. I want to one day be able to play one of his solos at a decent level.

• What don't you like about this music?

I don't care much for Death Metal or super hard stuff that goes deep into the Devil imagery or super harsh scream vocals. I typically avoid bands like Cradle of Filth or Fear Factory.

• Do you play an instrument?

I am a total beginner with the guitar. I own a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and would like to eventually pick up a JP Majesty or a Gibson SG, once I feel I'm good enough to move on from my beginner instrument. At least I'm playing on something that isn't a $60 Walmart throwaway.

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
May have posted this before, but anyways. Still feel Ignivomous is a bit overlooked.

actually yeah, I feel they don't get nearly as much props as other bands that were getting more attention around the same time like Dead Congregation or Funebrarum. Death Transmutation is absolutely monstrous. Basically their whole catalog gets regular listens over here. Third LP coming by the way, although you probably know this.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
actually yeah, I feel they don't get nearly as much props as other bands that were getting more attention around the same time like Dead Congregation or Funebrarum. Death Transmutation is absolutely monstrous. Basically their whole catalog gets regular listens over here. Third LP coming by the way, although you probably know this.

Yep, looking forward to new material!

Killer live show too.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here is something from, I suppose, a while ago, folks might enjoy. Invocation here, in some ways is kinda like pre-Portal Portal. If that floats your boat. There are stories to be told about Morbid de Sade, better left untold, heh.

Stargazer are pretty good too, if you enjoy that Atheist-like kinda stuff.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
MDF 2008 was Aussie heaven. Fuck...I'm Dead and Blood Duster killed it live. Also one of the best sets I've ever seen: The Day Everything Became Nothing. So absurdly heavy.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
More bands that I enjoy from Australia that I haven't seen mentioned

Convulsing
Lurid Panacea
Rawhead
Ploughshare

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I think Incinerated is probably my favorite coming out of there currently.

I wish more people overall knew about Warsore, but they seem to at least get their dues in the grind scene finally. I hardly ever hear anyone (outside of Australia) talk about The Kill though, which is always baffling to me.