• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I've been lucky and had the chance to book a lot of foreign bands over the years. Pretty consistently Australians are by far some of the nicest people I have ever met, lol. It's not even close. I'd love to go there sometime, but that flight sounds horrendous.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Shelob isn't real tho. But for real, big nope on those spiders over there lmao.

also Tasmanian Infernos??? I thought Cali wildfires were bad.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
just came here to post that myself

although that one track is not really representative of the album, and the album could still be overall be less metal, I absolutely loved their songs like "Unfurl" as bonus tracks on other albums, so maybe they are making an album based on that sort of style they did with bonus tracks. i'd be totally okay with a whole album like that in the "Unfurl" style or Massive Attack aesthetic, but now I read this

I think it will be a metal album, and this could just be one of those tracks in an album they change the pace with, which they've have done with pretty much all albums post 1990s.

here it says (http://bravewords.com/news/katatonia-to-release-city-burials-album-in-april-lacquer-single-streaming)

"City Burials is an album that sees the band reclaim part of their heavy metal roots, via several moments of exuberant, old school classicism, deftly woven into these new songs' kaleidoscopic fabric.

City Burials will be released on CD, deluxe mediabook CD with bonus tracks, black and coloured vinyl LPs with bonus track and digitally (digital pre-orders receive "Lacquer" as an instant download)."

their lyrics and jonas' voice is still great as usual

the track i am referencing:

www.youtube.com

Katatonia -Unfurl

Katatonia est un groupe de metal alternatif suédois formé en 1991. D'abord ancré dans le Metal extrême ils ont fait évoluer leur musique vers un metal plus p...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
the last couple of days I've listened to this nechochwen/panopticon split close to a dozen times.

the mingling waters is such a beautiful song

Oct 27, 2017
I was under the assumption that this is out tomorrow. So the LP version came out two months ago, but the digital version tomorrow?
I was actually really confused by it because it hasn't been made available yet on panopticon's bandcamp
same with the split with aerial ruin

but then aerial ruin split is available in full via the bindrune recordings bandcamp

I think bindrune might've just messed up for both releases.

Oct 27, 2017
the rest of migration fest was announced
84147418_1005032103207583_4546626059986010112_o.jpg

🤗

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'm shocked. Been listening to metal for about 14 years now or so, not exclusively but it does make up for most of my music preferences. After the last year or so of not really looking up new stuff or just being absolutely bored to look everything up beyond the bands I know and trust, I signed up for spotify for the 3 month trial period cause why the hell not. Besides dozens of new bands or bands of the last 5 years that I fell in love with(and greatly sparked my interest in the genre again) I also found this bizzare new trend that I dunno what to do with. Do I like and accept the future or do I stay a snooty true metal fan and cast em into the fires of hell? Prime example is the browning. Between the brutal vocals and an absolute barrage of drum beats, there is a heavy influence by electronic music that just feels so....blah. Like it sounds good I guess if I need something for the background, but Electronic Metal just isn't metal for me. How and why was this allowed to happen?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Metal is always experimenting mixing stuff and is always generating new styles. You can't expect to like them all. Even if the latest trends are the things you really don't like.

I'm like that with the rise of the core thingies that i utterly hate, but it doesn't stop me finding new good bands in the styles i like.

And then, there's nothing wrong in keeping to your tried and true classics.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Metal is always experimenting mixing stuff and is always generating new styles. You can't expect to like them all. Even if the latest trends are the things you really don't like.

I'm like that with the rise of the core thingies that i utterly hate, but it doesn't stop me finding new good bands in the styles i like.

And then, there's nothing wrong in keeping to your tried and true classics.
Oh definitely. I found stuff like Warkings, Haunt, Brothers of Metal, Nothing Left, Red Death, and the list just goes on and on. I have been missing out on a lot and I'm just listening to music all morning making up for the lost time.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
all those bands you listed that have been formed within the last 3-4 years sound really bad, and one of them is metalcore. i think you fell into a really bad hole of band recommendations from spotify.

there's a lot of other good bands formed in recent years, like Idle Hands, which is heavy metal infused with a punk and goth mix. they're not strictly one of those genres, but it's an interesting sound, their aesthetic also has this 80s flair to it, but all around, it's something that sounds different, which is good enough for me to grab my attention.

I think this passage from one of the reviews on MA sum them up nicely:

"Gothic aesthetics mixed with post punk vocals and heavy metal guitar work, combine to create one of 2019's most accessible records in the heavy rock genre. Idle Hands are taking a romanticized 80s new wave blueprint and writing heavy metal and gothic rock around it. The most obvious example of this would be the song Jackie."

There's also more bands that are good like Nervosa, thrash metal, Rivers of Nihil, etc formed in recent years too.

Last edited:

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked. Been listening to metal for about 14 years now or so, not exclusively but it does make up for most of my music preferences. After the last year or so of not really looking up new stuff or just being absolutely bored to look everything up beyond the bands I know and trust, I signed up for spotify for the 3 month trial period cause why the hell not. Besides dozens of new bands or bands of the last 5 years that I fell in love with(and greatly sparked my interest in the genre again) I also found this bizzare new trend that I dunno what to do with. Do I like and accept the future or do I stay a snooty true metal fan and cast em into the fires of hell? Prime example is the browning. Between the brutal vocals and an absolute barrage of drum beats, there is a heavy influence by electronic music that just feels so....blah. Like it sounds good I guess if I need something for the background, but Electronic Metal just isn't metal for me. How and why was this allowed to happen?

I've debated posting some stuff here in the metal thread that has been shared in the Synthwave thread... plenty of "heavy" stuff.

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Gothic aesthetics mixed with post punk vocals and heavy metal guitar work, combine to create one of 2019's most accessible records in the heavy rock genre. Idle Hands are taking a romanticized 80s new wave blueprint and writing heavy metal and gothic rock around it. The most obvious example of this would be the song Jackie."

I never knew I needed this but after listening to them holy fuck I am hooked.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
all those bands you listed that have been formed within the last 3-4 years sound really bad, and one of them is metalcore. i think you fell into a really bad hole of band recommendations from spotify.

there's a lot of other good bands formed in recent years, like Idle Hands, which is heavy metal infused with a punk and goth mix. they're not strictly one of those genres, but it's an interesting sound, their aesthetic also has this 80s flair to it, but all around, it's something that sounds different, which is good enough for me to grab my attention.

There's also more bands that are good like Nervosa, thrash metal, Rivers of Nihil, etc formed in recent years too.

I never said I have good tastes lol, just don't like the mixture of electronic in my Metal. I mean Haunt at the very least aren't mediocre. The bands you listed are definitely up my alley, had a listen and they were definitely a cut above what I did.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Just checked them out and I'm digging last year's album.

Reminds me a bit of Sentenced in aesthetics and sound with that gothic 80s metal/rock vibe.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Testament playing on my birthday, never have anything good happen on that date, only shitty movies release at the end of May.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
I never said I have good tastes lol, just don't like the mixture of electronic in my Metal. I mean Haunt at the very least aren't mediocre. The bands you listed are definitely up my alley, had a listen and they were definitely a cut above what I did.
personally i have found that spotify recommendations for metal is very very bad for me, like those discover playlists, weekly curated, and their global playlists they update frequently. i would recommend going to a page of a band you like, and clicking "fans also like" page and browsing from there, it's much better IMO.

I never knew I needed this but after listening to them holy fuck I am hooked.
Just checked them out and I'm digging last year's album.

Reminds me a bit of Sentenced in aesthetics and sound with that gothic 80s metal/rock vibe.

yep really fell in love with their style after listening to the album in its entirety. in fact they are signed to a german label (Eisenwald), and that label i actually am registered to receive mail (snail mail) in my briefkasten, so last year i got some mail from them about new merch, bands, etc, and one of the flyers was an Idle Hands one with artwork that captured my attention. I looked them up and really liked their style, one of the new bands in recent years that I really like.

i think they have also been lately opening up for King Diamond a lot

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
personally i have found that spotify recommendations for metal is very very bad for me, like those discover playlists, weekly curated, and their global playlists they update frequently. i would recommend going to a page of a band you like, and clicking "fans also like" page and browsing from there, it's much better IMO.
Most of my choices were from the fans also listen and new release pages, so yeah its gonna take a while to find some good stuff. Those playlists you mentioned took like one minute for me to close em and never go back. These kinda services are excellent as a reliable quality way to listen to music and they have have some serious deep cuts when it comes to obscure NWOBHM and Black Metal albums, but using them to discover new music for metal is absolutely shit because of how small a corner it is and how out of sync it is with the majority of its consumer bases wants and needs. It's just far more convenient as a tool even if I know that I have to start trudging through metalstorm and metal hammer monthly.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Went and saw Plini last night, and dude is so awesome. Loved how restrained he is.

Also, slight ot question, I've noticed that headless guitars are making a surgence in popularity, especially amongst prog rockers. Does anyone know why specifically?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Went and saw Plini last night, and dude is so awesome. Loved how restrained he is.

Also, slight ot question, I've noticed that headless guitars are making a surgence in popularity, especially amongst prog rockers. Does anyone know why specifically?
Makes the guitar shorter and lighter (no head plus the body has to end where the new tuning peg placement is), reducing strain. Because it doesn't use a nut that means open and fretted notes sound the same, too.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
The-Black-Dahlia-Murder-Verminous.jpg

Tracklist
1. Verminous
2. Godlessly
3. Removal of the Oaken Stake
4. Child of Night
5. Sunless Empire
6. The Leather Apron's Scorn
7. How Very Dead
8. The Wereworm's Feast
9. A Womb In Dark Chrysalis (Interlude)
10. Dawn of Rats

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Open meaning no fingers on fret board correct?

What advantages does that give Prog rockers?
Correct.

And I dunno. Maybe more clean sound? I haven't noticed a trend and I follow prog rock/metal. Plini is one of the only ones off the top of my head that I can remember seeing with that kind of guitar. Who else uses them?

Oct 27, 2017
tymon kruidenier from cynic/exivious/our oceans
paul masvidal from cynic (but he's been using them since his contribution on "death - human" in the early 90s)
chris letchford from scale the summit
per nilsson

mostly strandberg and kiesel but there are a couple old school steinbergers around

tymon sold the guitar he used on traced in air and I would have been all over it if it didn't start at $2k..

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Richard Henshall (Haken) uses them too. Might be partially wanting a cleaner sound and weight preferences but it's likely that Strandberg is going after that niche heavily. Looks like they're the ones most are using.

Probably a good market for a guitar maker to go into. Going to be nerdy people that will pay for better sound. A lot of bedroom prog/djent doing well enough, too.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Correct.

And I dunno. Maybe more clean sound? I haven't noticed a trend and I follow prog rock/metal. Plini is one of the only ones off the top of my head that I can remember seeing with that kind of guitar. Who else uses them?
Both guitarists from Animals as leaders.

Also saw a band last night called Arch Echo who also had one.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
although it's been out for a few weeks now, no one has posted the music video for My Dying Bride's new single from their upcoming album. really looking forward to it, i like that they have brought back growling like they did in the 90s albums back (real death-doom). i love how their incorporate the growls into the scenes in the music video.
We discussed it several pages ago :) I really like the song.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
The Drummer from Swallow the Sun and singer from Ghost Brigade did a thing. The thing sounds really good. Album coming out in April.