• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! Any of you in the LA area interested in seeing Mr. Bungle tonight? I've got one extra ticket.

Scott Ian and Dave Lombardo will be there, and the set list is going to be old thrash metal Bungle wrote before their studio albums. PM me if you're interested, will give the ticket at cost.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Hey! Any of you in the LA area interested in seeing Mr. Bungle tonight? I've got one extra ticket.

Scott Ian and Dave Lombardo will be there, and the set list is going to be old thrash metal Bungle wrote before their studio albums. PM me if you're interested, will give the ticket at cost.

I'm going to the SF show on the 8th

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Please let us know how it is. I've been debating whether I want to bother using StubHub for the NYC show.

Hopefully they end up playing their other material at some point.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Recently started getting into Metallica. A friend of mine recommended Death Magnetic, and Hardwired... To Self Destruct.

Both of these albums are a fucking blast to listen to. Never been one to really think about albums, or musical artists until now.

I really gotta get into Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and Justice For All.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
IMO their first three albums are pillars of metal and if you're new to them you should start from the beginning AKA Kill 'Em All. But Ride the Lightning is my personal favorite. I could listen to Fight Fire with Fire forever, basically.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
If you loved Hardwired, listen to Load, as Hardwired was a melding of that style writing and more thrash aesthetic. You can always pm me so I can dump a years worth of music recommendations too.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Ride and Master are their only essential albums. Rest have some great songs. Until they turn into a joke.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The-Black-Dahlia-Murder-Verminous.jpg
That cover art looks really awesome. Gives me a Dark Souls kind of vibe.

Too bad the band sucks

Truth.

Also I never thought I'd see Bitanator recommend Load...

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like Mr. Bungle did a bunch of covers at their first reunion show. S.O.D., Siege, Circle Jerks, The Exploited, etc.

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
California Deathfest tickets now available, nobody told me. Was able to get a ticket for the Pestilence and Onslaught day.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought the magic of Blackwater Park was gone...but I guess not. Now I remember why this still continues to be my favorite album of all time. Haven't heard it in such a while, though.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Recently started getting into Metallica. A friend of mine recommended Death Magnetic, and Hardwired... To Self Destruct.

Both of these albums are a fucking blast to listen to. Never been one to really think about albums, or musical artists until now.

I really gotta get into Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and Justice For All.

Ah Metallica. I shit on them a lot (and make me be clear, they are overrated), but they're still a great band. Their first four albums are all still classic albums in my eyes.

I used to think Kill 'Em all was a tad bit overrated, but now I don't think so. I used to find it kind of amateurish, but not anymore. I do think Lars is the weak link on the album though, even moreoso than later albums.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The new LoG track is great but damn I miss Chris Adlers drumming.

Nothing against the new one

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Heaven Shall Burn started a new sub-genre, environmetal (warning, video contains graphic scenes)

Also, Minenwerfer's latest album is fantastic

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
If you loved Hardwired, listen to Load, as Hardwired was a melding of that style writing and more thrash aesthetic. You can always pm me so I can dump a years worth of music recommendations too.
Thanks, I'll take you up on that offer right now.

If it's any help, my 5 favourite songs were Atlas Rise, Hardwired, Day That Never Comes, All Nightmare Long, and End of The Line.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly never got that into Sepultura, but I'm listening to the new one and I'm honestly really digging it.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I don't recognize the band after Chaos AD, they've been absolute shit since then. Always give them a chance but it just does not hit right.

Oct 27, 2017
got my early bird 3-day ticket to migration fest 2020 for $125
most stoked to see false, krallice, falls of rauros, yellow eyes, yautja on the same bill
there are a handful of others I'm really geeked about too, but those bands alone are worth the price for me.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Peaked with Beneath The Remains. Should have broken up after Arise.
This. Chaos AD is actually pretty shit. Don't think I'll even bother with the new one unless everyone assures me it's "totally a return to form" or w/e (and even then it usually isn't, but I might at least give it a chance... otherwise, waste of time).

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
This. Chaos AD is actually pretty shit. Don't think I'll even bother with the new one unless everyone assures me it's "totally a return to form" or w/e (and even then it usually isn't, but I might at least give it a chance... otherwise, waste of time).
I mean, if you think Chaos A.D. is shit, and presumably most/all stuff after that as well, there's no real reason to expect to like the new one. They're not going to go 100% old school thrash again. The first three songs on the new one contain quite some thrash, but it's never going to be full on old school again with Sepultura.

However, the new one is great. I've never stopped loving Sepultura, and if you enjoy the post-Arise stuff, then both the new one, Quadra, and the previous one, Machine Messiah, are well worth checking out.

Peaked with Beneath The Remains. Should have broken up after Arise.
This is a shit take. Been a long time since I read online metal discussion, but I guess I'm reminded why. The old-school-or-break-up attitude is so intensely boring and devoid of imagination.
I don't recognize the band after Chaos AD, they've been absolute shit since then.
Slightly less shit. But pretty horrible take as well.

Anyway, the new one has plenty of old and new school elements, lots of riffage, good solos, crazy performancy by Eloy (drummer) and probably Derrick's most varied and mature vocal performance ever. Really good stuff.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you think Chaos A.D. is shit, and presumably most/all stuff after that as well, there's no real reason to expect to like the new one. They're not going to go 100% old school thrash again. The first three songs on the new one contain quite some thrash, but it's never going to be full on old school again with Sepultura.

However, the new one is great. I've never stopped loving Sepultura, and if you enjoy the post-Arise stuff, then both the new one, Quadra, and the previous one, Machine Messiah, are well worth checking out.

This is a shit take. Been a long time since I read online metal discussion, but I guess I'm reminded why. The old-school-or-break-up attitude is so intensely boring and devoid of imagination.

Slightly less shit. But pretty horrible take as well.

Anyway, the new one has plenty of old and new school elements, lots of riffage, good solos, crazy performancy by Eloy (drummer) and probably Derrick's most varied and mature vocal performance ever. Really good stuff.
You did not even quote me fully, for one. The band is not that interesting anymore to me, their last album released had some interesting material and I posted some impressions on it, but it just did not stick with me. We've had a spirited discussion on here a while back on their post Arise material, and I still think people are nuts for not liking Chaos AD, but respect their opinions outright.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
You did not even quote me fully, for one. The band is not that interesting anymore to me, their last album released had some interesting material and I posted some impressions on it, but it just did not stick with me. We've had a spirited discussion on here a while back on their post Arise material, and I still think people are nuts for not liking Chaos AD, but respect their opinions outright.
Sure. Your take wasn't as bad as the guy who said they should've broken up when he stopped liking them. But it's still odd that you call them shit when you apparently even like some of their previous album. And sure, I agree, people are nuts for not liking Chaos A.D. They're also nuts for not liking Roots. People are even nuts for not liking Against. So that would be the majority of metal lovers around the globe. Oh well.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Your take wasn't as bad as the guy who said they should've broken up when he stopped liking them. But it's still odd that you call them shit when you apparently even like some of their previous album. And sure, I agree, people are nuts for not liking Chaos A.D. They're also nuts for not liking Roots. People are even nuts for not liking Against. So that would be the majority of metal lovers around the globe. Oh well.

I can still like the ideas presented in an album while not fully buying into it, execution wise, it has been shit. Machine Messiah was one of their last attempts that I was initially interested in musically and I'm currently two listens into Quadra left wondering why I'm wasting my time. I'll never not give them a chance, because they are a band I listen to every day, so I am always holding out hope they can give me something close to Propaganda at least

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I can still like the ideas presented in an album while not fully buying into it, execution wise, it has been shit. Machine Messiah was one of their last attempts that I was initially interested in musically and I'm currently two listens into Quadra left wondering why I'm wasting my time.
I would stop, hahah. It obviously isn't for you then. What are you either missing or expecting?

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I would stop, hahah. It obviously isn't for you then. What are you either missing or expecting?

I'm missing that distinctive attitude the band had, Max was able to bring out a different level there. As a live act, this new album will kill, personally, but I love Power Trip live too and hate their albums.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I'm missing that distinctive attitude the band had, Max was able to bring out a different level there. As a live act, this new album will kill, personally, but I love Power Trip live too and hate their albums.
Hm alright, fair enough. To me, what left with Max was a lot of the catchiness. Simple riffs that hook you and make you bop your head. His post-Sepultura work almost entirely consists of that kind of stuff. Without Max, Sepultura are a bit dryer, is how I would describe it. But when it's good, it's still really good to me.

Ah yeah, Power Trip. Heard one song of them and it bored me to death, but I can indeed imagine it's quite fun to experience live.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
lol, you're taking it a little too serious. But also, there's no reason for them to exist as "Sepultura" at this point after the style and lineup changes. You can enjoy the music, but it's not the same band. If they were confident in what they were producing in 2020 it should stand on its own.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
lol, you're taking it a little too serious. But also, there's no reason for them to exist as "Sepultura" at this point after the style and lineup changes. You can enjoy the music, but it's not the same band. If they were confident in what they were producing in 2020 it should stand on its own.
I mean, bands evolve. Would you want Napalm Death to change their name now? There was no reason for Sepultura to change their name after Max left, and Derrick's twice as long in the band as Max ever was, so why would they need to change their name? It's an odd sentiment to me. 99% of all bands have line-up changes and don't change their name. I'm pretty sure Andreas is quite confident in his material and in no way feels he has to change the band's name, because that would be an absurd thought to him. Sepultura were never a stable band stylistically either. So, eh

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Never understood why people

a) get so mad at others not liking their favourite music, and
b) think it's cool to insult others for it
c) and of course generalize, attribute motives of narrow-mindedness, elitism, etc.

Saying "this band is shit" is more offensive to y'all than saying "your taste is shit". Despite the first statement applying to a band and the other being a personal attack. Can't wrap my mind around this. And of course it's the mean elitists who are the "toxic" ones. Pfft.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Never understood why people

a) get so mad at others not liking their favourite music, and
b) think it's cool to insult others for it
c) and of course generalize, attribute motives of narrow-mindedness, elitism, etc.

Saying "this band is shit" is more offensive to y'all than saying "your taste is shit". Despite the first statement applying to a band and the other being a personal attack. Can't wrap my mind around this. And of course it's the mean elitists who are the "toxic" ones. Pfft.
When somebody says a band should break up after they don't like the music anymore, it's perfectly fine to call that a shit take. And if they weren't serious, as they said, then who cares anymore? So, yeah, my comment was about someone saying a band should break up. But hey, you didn't quote me, so who knows who you're talking about.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Would you want Napalm Death to change their name now?
Yes, they haven't been interesting in decades.

The number of bands, regardless of genre, that have continued to produce quality music 20-30+ years into their careers, is incredibly small. The number of bands who have evolved their style and maintained that original level of quality is also incredibly small. There's nothing wrong with starting a new project instead of trying to use your past to generate interest.

More bands should be like Repulsion. Less bands should be like Terrorizer.