• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Yes, they haven't been interesting in decades.

The number of bands, regardless of genre, that have continued to produce quality music 20-30+ years into their careers, is incredibly small. The number of bands who have evolved their style and maintained that original level of quality is also incredibly small. There's nothing wrong with starting a new project instead of trying to use your past to generate interest.

More bands should be like Repulsion. Less bands should be like Terrorizer.
But what has a name change have to do with quality? Quality is subjective, so your argument is moot.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, you're discussing music on the Internet. It's all subjective and pointless.

If you're keeping the name, you're inviting comparisons to past material. Nothing Sepultura is releasing in 2020 is anywhere near Beneath The Remains. Nothing Napalm Death is releasing in 2020 is anywhere near From Enslavement To Obliteration. Nothing Terrorizer is releasing in 2020 is anywhere near World Downfall. More often than not these things end with Robb Flynn trying to rap, so again, more bands should be like Repulsion. Know when to stop. Play the shit people actually want to hear.

Those are all obviously subjective statements that you're allowed to disagree with. It makes no difference to me if you get enjoyment out of their newer material beyond me realizing we have vastly different tastes in music. Which isn't the end of the world.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Hm alright, fair enough. To me, what left with Max was a lot of the catchiness. Simple riffs that hook you and make you bop your head. His post-Sepultura work almost entirely consists of that kind of stuff. Without Max, Sepultura are a bit dryer, is how I would describe it. But when it's good, it's still really good to me.

Andreas is still a great songwriter, just an ingredient missing. And I am not of the assumption that all will be well if Max comes back, as I have not liked Cavalera Conspiracy and what they have produced that much.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Also, even in cases where the band doesn't turn into a bit of a joke, it does them a disservice. Dio-era Sabbath is amazing and gets slept on way more than it should. If the material is strong enough, you shouldn't have to trade on a name.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Don't like Barney Napalm. I actually kind of dug Utilitarian but i've seen Napalm a few times in the past several years and I really don't think they can pull it off live

Drums triggered to shit but he plays like sloppy garbage. Sloppy can work if you have a more raw sound but they don't, clean avant garde/metallic/killing joke/swans blah blah blah it sucks. I'd rather hear them play their modern shit instead of ruin the old songs but they can't play any of it well

post Cavalera Sep is a joke, them pivoting their setlists to cash in on the thrash trend to try and get cred is hilarious

I actually enjoyed the last Cavalera Conspiracy because it's fun to hear those guys play something even vaguely resembling the old stuff but that's about it

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

My favorite.

All anecdotal, but I definitely have seen a lot of people dismiss it over the years. Probably less so now/after they reunited with him.

I can see complaints coming from the shift in style, but I've always been under the assumption Heaven & Hell was universally praised. The Dio/Sabbath album Dehumanizer tends to get forgotten, and it has some great stuff on it.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Don't like Barney Napalm. I actually kind of dug Utilitarian but i've seen Napalm a few times in the past several years and I really don't think they can pull it off live

Drums triggered to shit but he plays like sloppy garbage. Sloppy can work if you have a more raw sound but they don't, clean avant garde/metallic/killing joke/swans blah blah blah it sucks. I'd rather hear them play their modern shit instead of ruin the old songs but they can't play any of it well
Straight garbage every time I've seen them.

I can see complaints coming from the shift in style, but I've always been under the assumption Heaven & Hell was universally praised. The Dio/Sabbath album Dehumanizer tends to get forgotten, and it has some great stuff on it.
You frequent better places than I do.

RickPresk

May 15, 2018
Blimey, it's all kicked off on here overnight! I listened to the new Sepultura album and thought it was OK and like a few on here I've not liked anything by them since Arise, it's certainly not worth getting angry about though!

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been to all three Mr. Bungle LA shows and I can't recommend the experience highly enough.

Even though the set list for Bungle never changed, I saw Hirax, Ho99o9, Cattle Decapitation, Neil Hamburger, Cunts, and The Melvins. It felt like a Bungle residency.

If you don't have tickets and second hand tickets aren't unreasonable, do it. All the openers are stoked to be there too. Cattle Decap had a shirt for $10 that was their band name written in Mr. Bungle font and it has to be one of my favorite shirts ever. Drummer was running the merch stand and was just glowing to be there, as was everyone else. Hardly anyone in the crowd was from LA. Met a dude from Australia, two dudes from Chicago, a couple from Denver who met a couple who flew in from Italy for the show, two dudes from Austria, and a couple from Japan waiting behind me to get into the show tonight.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

I posted this dude on the last page, but seriously this man is just incredible. I can't believe it's not Bruce from his first couple Maiden records. I was actually thinking to myself the last time I listened to Seventh Son, I wish the album didn't sound so clean. Not an exaggeration to say this may as well be a pre-production demo.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
That new Ihsahn tune was amazing... Until the solo kicked in. Still, the Telemark ep is shaping up to be very interesting, after the disappointing last lp.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Lol what are you even talking about?
Their modern music sounds nothing like the old material. Sometime in the early 2010s they decided to start touring the US again with trendy bands like Havok playing old songs acting like they were still with it. Meanwhile they continue to release whatever unrelated garbage they've done for the past 20 years

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Their modern music sounds nothing like the old material. Sometime in the early 2010s they decided to start touring the US again with trendy bands like Havok playing old songs acting like they were still with it. Meanwhile they continue to release whatever unrelated garbage they've done for the past 20 years
This is nonsense. Their setlists have never had a 'pivot' to old school. They have been changing it up throughout the past 20 years though, sure. No pivot to old school.

Oct 27, 2017
again stuck listening to krallice live vids. mainly the 2020 set (with the new songs) and I'm stuck on this new section

I think my favorite songs are mick barr on main vocals instead of backup

Last edited:

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
Ah yes, Sylosis is back from a hiatus with a new album and it's ggreat (as usual).

www.youtube.com

SYLOSIS - I Sever (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO)

SYLOSIS return with new track 'I Sever'. Order the new album Cycle of Suffering - out Feb 7th: https://nblast.de/CycleOfSuffering | SUBSCRIBE to Nuclear Blas...

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
You mean after the best album of his career and nearly the AOTY that year?

You mean "Amr"? Yeah I guess we have totally different interests on what we can get out of Ihsahn's music. :) His worst solo album by far imho.

Arktis though it was something else, I love that shit, even if I shouldn't.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Saw At The Gates this Friday with my brother-in-law and his bass-player. With support of small time outfit Soreption.
Way way better than expected - and I expected a lot!
Heres a vid I found of the show, sound of the recording doesnt do them justice sadly. IRL the mixing in the venue was really good and leveled greatly.

and here's the kings:

All in all a fantastic evening of "The Gothenburg Sound"

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

When Metallica were the lovechild of Raven, Diamond Head, Vardis and all the nwobhm giants of the early 80s. This demo is essential, my favorite thing they released.

Last edited:

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017

I posted this dude on the last page, but seriously this man is just incredible. I can't believe it's not Bruce from his first couple Maiden records. I was actually thinking to myself the last time I listened to Seventh Son, I wish the album didn't sound so clean. Not an exaggeration to say this may as well be a pre-production demo.

Wow, if someone told me this was just Bruce I'd 100% believe it. Incredible.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure this is the unreleased Kill The Client album that got held up with legal issues from the bassist

Just released as a new band Triage

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stop listening to Beast in Black these days. They're going to be touring in the US this fall. Cannot wait.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stop listening to Beast in Black these days. They're going to be touring in the US this fall. Cannot wait.
I'll be seeing them at ProgPower (which I believe will be their first US performance). I see that they're doing the rest of the tour as support for Hammerfall. I'd be tempted to go see them again if they were playing locally. The closest they're coming is Tampa, which is about 90 minutes from here, and also on a Tuesday.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, Beast in Black are good times. That Bruce Dickinson soundalike showed up on my youtube feed as well, crazy impressive.

Tasty thrash...

coma

Oct 28, 2017
So I've been to all three Mr. Bungle LA shows and I can't recommend the experience highly enough.

Even though the set list for Bungle never changed, I saw Hirax, Ho99o9, Cattle Decapitation, Neil Hamburger, Cunts, and The Melvins. It felt like a Bungle residency.

If you don't have tickets and second hand tickets aren't unreasonable, do it. All the openers are stoked to be there too. Cattle Decap had a shirt for $10 that was their band name written in Mr. Bungle font and it has to be one of my favorite shirts ever. Drummer was running the merch stand and was just glowing to be there, as was everyone else. Hardly anyone in the crowd was from LA. Met a dude from Australia, two dudes from Chicago, a couple from Denver who met a couple who flew in from Italy for the show, two dudes from Austria, and a couple from Japan waiting behind me to get into the show tonight.
Caved in and went to this tonight. Was a fun show. Set list seemed more or less the same from the West Coast, but Harley came out and did the Cro-Mags cover with them. Hopefully they end up doing a more proper Bungle reunion at some point, but was entertaining for what it was.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe he's gotten better, but Chino always sounded awful when I've seen them live. Like he was about to die on stage.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been listening to the new Envy and Yuri Gagarin records. New Envy is probably one of their best albums ever. My view on Yuri Gagarin is that I need to listen to more Space Rock if it all sounds this good. Also, the album art is so fucking rad.

My favorite tracks from these two albums:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been listening to the new Envy and Yuri Gagarin records. New Envy is probably one of their best albums ever. My view on Yuri Gagarin is that I need to listen to more Space Rock if it all sounds this good. Also, the album art is so fucking rad.

My favorite tracks from these two albums:

The new Envy is indeed great. Never heard of them before the buzz for this album but I checked it out and love it.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
This is some bullshit:

https://metalinjection.net/shocking-revelations/sean-reinert-organ-donation

tl;dr Sean Reinert was gonna be an organ donor, but can't, because he was a gay man
Rather let someone die than let a dead gay person save them. American laws make no sense. The needless demonization of lgbtq people in the year 2020 is fucking nuts.

The new Envy is indeed great. Never heard of them before the buzz for this album but I checked it out and love it.
Although I haven't listened to their entire discography, the 3 album stretch from All The Footprints.... to Insomniac Daze is mind-blowing.

Last edited: