• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
ELI5, what made Anthrax the black sheep of the big 4? Among the Living is one of the finest Thrash albums. And if you ask me, when it comes to the modern stuff, they're definitely the best out of the big 4.

Cali thrash got more reverence than the East Coast. Anthrax is definitely the most fun to see live nowadays. I've appreciated their material but compared to other great East Coast thrash acts, they are lower on my totem pole.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Hello metal ERA.

I was at a Slipknot show last night with Behemoth as opening act. Behemoth really delivered the goods, one of the best opening acts i have seen.

Slipknot was awesome as well, first time in almost 7 years and man does the new drummer deliver, Jay Weinberg really shook and rumbled the venue. IMO it was the new songs that were the best ones of the night for me too, I really like the new album. There were like 2-3 moshpits goin on as well during pretty much the whole set of Slipknot, I was in the stand for this one tho close to the stage.

Great way to start of a new concert year i gotta say. 🤘

Also a colleague of mine has recently dropped a single for an upcoming album. Give it a listen if you want.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I listened to Slipknot live recordings and I never not notice Corey's mask, as if it's pressing against his nose or something. Also the new album is growing on me a lot.

I wish I could go to concerts but my health does not allow it anymore. Thinking of getting a good audio setup for home at least.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
  • What draws you into metal?
    Same stuff that draws me into any other genre, the lyrics, melodies, and so on. Maybe less so on the more extreme genres. Then it's more the aggression that's fun.
  • Favorite genre(s)
    Thrash, Industrial, Melodic Death, Heavy Metal
  • Favorite band(s)
    Metallica, Slayer, Rammstein, At the Gates, In Flames, Slipknot, Gojira, Tool, Ghost, Amon Amarth
  • First album(s) (what got you into the music?)
    I don't remember but I listened to 10.000 days a lot when it came out and it was the first metal album I listened to really heavy I think.
  • New favorite album(s) (recent discoveries, new or old) Ride the Lightning, always and forever. War with Reality with At the Gates is another favorite. A recent favorite new album is We are not your Kind with Slipknot. Mutter with Rammstein is another classic.
  • Favorite instrument and why? Drums I think. Blast beats and the rumbling when the drummer are using both base drums .. what is that called in English?
  • What don't you like about this music? People who are overly serious about black metal for example .. it's just silliness
  • Do you play an instrument? No

TheLastCandle

Oct 25, 2017
Harrisburg, PA, USA
I never got around to this. Maybe because I damn near never post.
  • What draws you into metal? - The imagery, the power, the glory, the majesty. Pretty much everything.
  • Favorite genre(s) - Heavy, Power, Folk, Prog, Melodic Death and Black
  • Favorite band(s) - Manowar, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Dio, Rainbow, Moonsorrow, Megadeth, Edguy, Delain, Running Wild, Enslaved, Amorphis
  • First album(s) (what got you into the music?) - I think the first "Metal" album I bought was Load by Metallica when it first came out. The first good one I bought was Hidden Treasures, which is a compilation album of B sides and promo singles from Megadeth.
  • New favorite album(s) (recent discoveries, new or old) - From Hell with Love - Beast in Black, Apocalypse and Chill - Delain
  • Favorite instrument and why? - Depends entirely on the band. I play air guitar, air bass, and air drums with the best of 'em.
  • What don't you like about this music? - When fans of the genre are too embarrassed to embrace the things that make Metal so awesome. Swords and dragons and barbarians and oily bare chests kick ass.
  • Do you play an instrument? - Guitar for almost 20 years.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I never got around to this. Maybe because I damn near never post.
  • What draws you into metal? - The imagery, the power, the glory, the majesty. Pretty much everything.
  • Favorite genre(s) - Heavy, Power, Folk, Prog, Melodic Death and Black
  • Favorite band(s) - Manowar, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Dio, Rainbow, Moonsorrow, Megadeth, Edguy, Delain, Running Wild, Enslaved, Amorphis
  • First album(s) (what got you into the music?) - I think the first "Metal" album I bought was Load by Metallica when it first came out. The first good one I bought was Hidden Treasures, which is a compilation album of B sides and promo singles from Megadeth.
  • New favorite album(s) (recent discoveries, new or old) - From Hell with Love - Beast in Black, Apocalypse and Chill - Delain
  • Favorite instrument and why? - Depends entirely on the band. I play air guitar, air bass, and air drums with the best of 'em.
  • What don't you like about this music? - When fans of the genre are too embarrassed to embrace the things that make Metal so awesome. Swords and dragons and barbarians and oily bare chests kick ass.
  • Do you play an instrument? - Guitar for almost 20 years.

You need to post more, this forum needs more power metal posts.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Hey I haver never done this as well, here goes.

• What draws you into metal? - The sound, the attitude, the craftsmanship.
  • Favorite genre(s) - I would say Thrash, Death, Industrial and Power
  • Favorite band(s) - I don't really have favourites but the ones I keep coming back to. Sepultura, Soulfly, Ektomorf, Anthrax, Amon Amarth, Rhapsody, Soilwork, Gojira, Dimmu Borgir, HammerFall, Body Count.
  • First album(s) (what got you into the music?) - It must have been Roots by Sepultura that really got me into the genre. From that point on I explored everything I could find, old and new.
  • New favorite album(s) (recent discoveries, new or old) - Ghost as a whole, Shylmagoghnar , the new Slipknot surprisingly.
  • Favorite instrument and why? - I love good bass and drums.
  • What don't you like about this music? - "Stubborn" or diehard metal fans who will never touch different genres or when people look down on you because you like a nu-metal song or something. Also I don't need to have black long hair to be a metal fan...
  • Do you play an instrument? - Played drums as a teenager (I was bad) and now I am learning bass! (It's hard)

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Huh, this is a thing, apparently.
  • What draws you into metal? - It's pretty cathartic to listen to, the instrumentals, and melodies.
  • Favorite genre(s) - Thrash and Heavy, but I'm new to this whole thing.
  • Favorite band(s) - So far: Anthrax, Metallica, Annihilator, Judas Priest
  • First album(s) (what got you into the music?) - The first album I actually listened to fully was Death Magnetic. Yeah, sue me. Before, I was just one of those guys that didn't really care about albums and artists, I just jumped to whatever song I liked.
  • New favorite album(s) (recent discoveries, new or old) - Anthrax in general, Alice in Hell, and We Are Not Your Kind.
  • Favorite instrument and why? - Guitar, and bass.
  • What don't you like about this music? - Armchair experts, and people that think that they're edgy, or badass for listening to metal. And while I don't listen to her, the same crowd seems to really hate Billie Eilish for some reason.
  • Do you play an instrument? - Played (Keyword: Played) piano for 9 years.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Best news this week probably. The metal festival returns to my city after some years of slumber.

www.metaltown.se

Metaltown 2020

Hårdrocksfestivalen Metaltown är tillbaka på Bananpiren i Göteborg den 5 augusti!

Confirmed lineup

F3vEaqD.jpg

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

full stream of the upcoming split between Warmoon Lord and new Finnish black metal entity Vultyrium. Honestly, this is one of the best black metal splits I've heard in a long time. Absolutely furious and triumphant stuff from both sides. Extremely old school and executed to perfection.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Hey MetalERA, finally thought i'd make myself part of the family
  • What draws you into metal? Vocals, heavy chug chug riffs and blast beats
  • Favorite genre(s) Metalcore, DeathMetal
  • Favorite band(s) BMTH, Architects, Emmure, Suicide Silence, Whitechapel
  • First album(s) (what got you into the music?) First real heavy album would be the cleansing by Suicide Silence
  • New favorite album(s) (recent discoveries, new or old) Polaris - The Death of Me is fantastic
  • Favorite instrument and why? I don't really have a favourite, they're all great in their own way
  • What don't you like about this music? The stigma around listening to metal
  • Do you play an instrument? Yeah, guitar. I've been in a few hardcore bands in the past
I don't mean to self promote myself but i've just started a more metal/music based instagram since my close friends irl like house/hip hop etc so i don't really get to talk about metal too much and i'm a big record collector. I'll follow back anyone that's interested.

Looking forward to Code Orange's album coming out

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
www.nocleansinging.com

PSYCHOTIC WALTZ: "THE GOD-SHAPED VOID" - NO CLEAN SINGING

(Seattle-based NCS contributor Gonzo brings us this review of the the fifth studio album by U.S. progressive metal pioneers Psychotic Waltz, and their first music in 23 years, released on February 14th by InsideOutMusic.) Maybe it’s just me, but I love it when a criminally underrated band...

Speaking of old bands, Psychotic Waltz put out their first new material in 23 years and it ain't bad. Feels like this has been happening a lot lately, but maybe it's just always been happening, I dunno.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
  • What draws you into metal? I don't know, I just started listening and never looked back. I was very young.
  • Favorite genre(s) Slamming Brutal Death Metal, Black Metal, Doom Metal,
  • Favorite band(s) Conan, Mgla, Kraanium, Hexis, Devourment, Chaos Moon, Analepsy
  • First album(s) (what got you into the music?) When I was very young Guns and Roses, then Darkthrone, Bathory, King Diamond
  • New favorite album(s) (recent discoveries, new or old) Abyssal - A Beacon in the Husk , Decoherence - Ekpyrosis, Deracinated- Adoration of Decaying Carrion
  • Favorite instrument and why? All are fantastic, I play guitar though so maybe that.
  • What don't you like about this music? Nothing.
  • Do you play an instrument? I play guitar, mostly played Hardcore, Grindcore, Black Metal, and Doom. My 11 year old is a budding drummer who has listened to extreme music from the crib. I am breeding a monster. (He is into Minor Threat and old school NYHC at the moment!)

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Recommendations for Prog Thrash? I've got some Vektor, Dream Theatre, Voivod, and Coroner, but what else is there?

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Recommendations for Prog Thrash? I've got some Vektor, Dream Theatre, Voivod, and Coroner, but what else is there?

Sending you a list in a moment.

For Full Lengths, give these a chance, I'll send more to you if you like the selections, including more obscure demo, comps. Prog/Tech thrash is my language

Deathrow - Deception Ignored
Vendetta - Brain Damage
Mekong Delta - The Music of Eric Zann
Anacrusis - Manic Impressions
Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum
Sieges Even - Lifecycle
Believer - Santity Obscure
Watchtower - Control and Resistance
Heathen - Vitcmims of Deception
Hexen - Being and Nothingness
Sacrosanct - Recesses for the Depraved
Gargoyle - Furebumi
Jester's March - Beyond
Threshold - Within the Expanse
Antidote - The Truth
Aspid - Extravasation
End Zone - First Bequest
Asmodeus - Prosincová noc blíže neurčeného roku
Pathos - Katharsis
Mind- Ashes - The Views Obscured
Hexenhaus - The Edge of Eternity
Realm - Endless War
Acrimony - In Unknown Direction
Megace - Human Errors
Target - Master Project Genesis
Equinox - The Way to Go
Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy
Entropy - Ashen Existence
Depressive Age - FIrst Depression
Scenery - Philosophy of Ages
Satyrasis - Of the Dead
Exmortus - Slave to The Sword
Section Brain - Hospital of Death
Decision D - Moratoria
Obliveon - Nemesis
Disciples of Power - Powertrap
Genetic Error - In Search of Power
Curor - Insane Harmony
Ascraeus - Dare To Live
Astharoth - Gloomy Experiments

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the new Trivium song. They've been on an upward swing since the last album, which is one of their best works.

Also, new Orbit Culture today~! I eagerly await the album.

Orbit Culture
Rebirth
Melodic Death Metal

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

full stream of the upcoming split between Warmoon Lord and new Finnish black metal entity Vultyrium. Honestly, this is one of the best black metal splits I've heard in a long time. Absolutely furious and triumphant stuff from both sides. Extremely old school and executed to perfection.

This is great. Warmoon Lord's album was killer and this material is no different. Never heard Vultyrium before but definitely like what I'm hearing there as well. Right up my alley.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
A new song from Igorr, and it has Corpsegrinder on vox:

Igorr - Parpaing

And semi-related, the Poppy "metal"-album is pretty entertaining if you're hankering for some Marilyn Manson/Rammstein/Babymetal, and who isn't.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
This is great. Warmoon Lord's album was killer and this material is no different. Never heard Vultyrium before but definitely like what I'm hearing there as well. Right up my alley.

for sure. Warmoon Lord's riffs are really fantastic. I appreciate that they seem to be experimenting with some Emperor-like sounds as well. Really nice scene going on in Finland right now.

Album of the year came early:

sickkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Oof. Got a lot of recommendations. This'll take a while...

Anyway, listening to Carnival Diablos right now. I must say, Shallow Grave is my new favourite AC/DC song.

In all seriousness, I'm liking the variety I'm hearing here.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
New Havok song. It is awful, Davids sounds good at least, but the song goes nowhere, much like their discography past their debut.

For a more exciting album coming this year, the maniacs from Brazil, Evil Corpse, are releasing their debut album. Following them a few years, this one will be great

Last edited:

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
How's Lamb of God?

I've heard a lot about them, but have never heard a single song or album from them. Are they worth my time?

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
If you get into them, just make sure you don't go on stage at their shows. The singer might manslaughter you.
I get the distinct impression that there's a joke here I'm not getting.

In all seriousness, are they any good? I've got one hard "no", and one "a couple of their albums are good".

coma

Oct 28, 2017

In all seriousness, are they any good? I've got one hard "no", and one "a couple of their albums are good".
The singer is a shit head, threw a kid off stage, the kid died.

If you're just getting into metal, they're maybe fine. I liked New American Gospel when I was younger. You probably have already way outgrown them though.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

They are part of that metal starter kit the kids listen to, start with Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch, Slipknot, and then move into stuff like Gojira, Lamb of God, ect.. then you really lose them when they find metal/deathcore

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
The singer is a shit head, threw a kid off stage, the kid died.

If you're just getting into metal, they're maybe fine. I liked New American Gospel when I was younger. You probably have already way outgrown them though.
Jesus Christ.

They are part of that metal starter kit the kids listen to, start with Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch, Slipknot, and then move into stuff like Gojira, Lamb of God, ect.. then you really lose them when they find metal/deathcore
Well, I listen to stuff from Voivod, Annihilator, and Slipknot. Then again, the Slipknot songs I listen to are mainly from WANYK, since the stuff from Iowa makes me cringe.