• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
There are lots of articles from NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Reuters and more about the deal. They include some new bits of info and specially third party opinions, that are always interesting for detabe.

The consensus in general is that:

- The FTC has an up hill battle to defend the case.
- MS has a serious timing problem.
- UK and Europe are the key now, specially UK.
- Now that the FTC has challenged the deal, UK and EU could do the same too.

More or less, what I mentioned yesterday: next 4-5 weeks are super relevant, in January we should have a clearer picture, the deal could be abandoned as soon as January or take a bit longer until April, if Microsoft can get approvals from the CMA and the EU and wants to challenge the FTC, they'll need more time and they'll have to renegotiate the merger agreement.

www.nytimes.com

Lina Khan, Aiming to Block Microsoft’s Activision Deal, Faces a Challenge

Ms. Khan, the chair of the Federal Trade Commission, has staked an ambitious trustbusting agenda on a case that may be difficult to win.

"It's undeniably a challenging lawsuit for the commission, because vertical challenges generally have an uphill battle," said Bill Baer, who led the Justice Department's antitrust division during the Obama administration and has represented Sony in private practice.

[...]

In meetings with the agency and commissioners on Wednesday, Microsoft offered to make enforceable, bound commitments to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation, a person with direct knowledge of the conversations said. But the commissioners did not seem interested in accepting a settlement, the person said.

Judges in some recent antitrust cases have cited settlement offers as a reason to allow mergers to proceed over regulators' objections. "Courts have been surprisingly solicitous about the kind of things that Microsoft has offered here," said Daniel Francis, an assistant professor of law at New York University and a former F.T.C. official.

www.wsj.com

Microsoft Faces Tougher Path to Closing Activision Deal

The software giant should give up on the deal, some analysts said, following the FTC’s suit to block the planned $75 billion acquisition.

CFRA Research Vice President John Freeman said he hopes executives at Microsoft "take the hint and give up the deal that, if completed, might end up a Pyrrhic victory of executive distraction and expensive regulatory concessions."

While Microsoft might have a strong chance of beating the FTC's challenge, the odds of the company also coming out on top in potential challenges from regulators in the U.K. and Europe are slim, Cowen analysts said. They said similar moves from authorities in the U.K.or Europe—and maybe both—are likely to follow that of the FTC.

"At a certain point, Microsoft may decide that the total litigation, distraction, and public relations costs are too high, and choose to walk away from the transaction," they said.

While the FTC's suit will likely extend the timeline for closing the deal, Clay Griffin, an analyst at MoffettNathanson, said "we're not so sure it's the death knell that one might assume." He said Microsoft can now fight the challenge in court, offer more concessions or walk away from the deal and pay the breakup fee of up to $3 billion.

"Microsoft, in our view, has expended enough PR and management time to be committed to giving it a go. We'll see," he said. Analysts at Benchmark said the market is pricing in a 38% chance of Microsoft closing the deal, though on a potentially delayed timeline.

If the deal were to collapse, it would be the first time regulators have blocked a deal in the videogame space, D.A. Davidson Vice President Franco Granda said.

"We believe the outcome of the ensuing legal battle could redefine the gaming landscape as we know it and dictate dynamics in emerging opportunities such as subscription and cloud gaming," he said.

In the aftermath of a scrapped deal, focus could shift back to Activision's workplace harassment allegations that came out in 2021, Mr. Granda said. He also noted that Activison's stock has been shielded this year from the downturn in the videogame market, in which lower engagement from waning pandemic trends has weighed on the sector.

Activision "would likely be the biggest loser in the case of the deal collapsing," Mr. Granda said.

www.wsj.com

FTC’s Move to Block Microsoft’s Deal for Activision Blizzard Came Despite Charm Offensive

The software giant had been working for nearly a year to calm regulators’ concerns about its acquisition of the videogame developer, but the agency’s lawsuit raises doubts about Microsoft’s pledge not to shut out rivals.

The FTC's move came after the company had avoided the brunt of the anti-tech backlash of recent years.

The suit represents a "somewhat meaningful setback" for Microsoft because of the company's longtime lobbying efforts, said Stifel Nicolaus analyst Brad Reback. "They've worked very hard to stay on the right side of government agencies."

It is too soon to tell whether the FTC can succeed in blocking the acquisition. The agency likely will have to go before a federal judge, a process that could take months to unfold, said Eric Talley, a professor at Columbia Law School.

The case could be difficult for the regulator to win because courts have traditionally not seen deals among companies that specialize in different phases of the same industry's production process—so-called vertical mergers—as competitive dangers, he said.

"It may require the commission to convince a judge to change the law somewhat," he said. "That makes it a difficult case for the FTC to win, though they presumably knew this going in."

www.bloomberg.com

Microsoft's Fight for Activision Is a Bet on the Future of Gaming

Cloud gaming is a nascent technology today but experts think it could eventually make consoles like the Xbox and PlayStation less relevant

"By now, regulators understand that big tech firms will seek to use their power in one market to capture downstream markets," said Vili Lehdonvirta, Oxford University professor of economic sociology and digital social research. "Microsoft doesn't quite dominate the public cloud market, but they have a big edge over cloud gaming rivals who don't own their own infrastructure and have to rent it from the cloud providers."

Sony has been a staunch opponent to Microsoft's deal, accusing the company of seeking to "lock in many consumers to Xbox" and leveraging its other products to "foreclose cloud gaming at a critical point of its evolution." Analysts question whether Sony's criticisms come from insecurity that the Japanese tech company lags behind Microsoft in diversifying away from console gaming. Sony typically releases its best first-party games onto PlayStation long before they appear anywhere else.

"If Sony is doubling down on its PlayStation business, that's potentially very problematic," said Joost Rietveld, an assistant professor of strategic management at the UCL School of management who has spoken to Microsoft and Sony representatives about the deal.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the latest update from Idas and yeah I don't think that this deal is happening. I think MS will pull out in January.

So, then what is their next move would be the big question. I guess this deal would have put them off buying a publisher anywhere close to activision's size.

Maybe go all in on third party deals? I'm doubtful as they would want to own the IP.

Maybe just do nothing? I dunno.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
There are lots of articles from NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Reuters and more about the deal. They include some new bits of info and specially third party opinions, that are always interesting for detabe.

The consensus in general is that:

- The FTC has an up hill battle to defend the case.
- MS has a serious timing problem.
- UK and Europe are the key now, specially UK.
- Now that the FTC has challenged the deal, UK and EU could do the same too.

More or less, what I mentioned yesterday: next 4-5 weeks are super relevant, in January we should have a clearer picture, the deal could be abandoned as soon as January or take a bit longer until April, if Microsoft can get approvals from the CMA and the EU and wants to challenge the FTC, they'll need more time and they'll have to renegotiate the merger agreement.
really interesting stuff. well done Idas , still hoping the deal goes through

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
And by doing that, they'd be degrading their own operating system! That's just so silly.

This one is really silly when Nvidia is like 80% of the dgpu market.

Right! It's hilariously bad.

The funniest thing is, they actually mention an ACTUAL essential input to the platform market, GPUs. But since MS isn't acquiring an essential input, they came up with a hare-brained hypothetical scheme to argue that MS will obtain GPU market power by proxy.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Guys, do you think arguing over semantics will do us any good? I think I'll just take the backseat now and wait until the (likely) two important decisions in January. My mind feels like a carousel following these past few pages. But perhaps that's just me.

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022
Perhaps spin off CoD and all involved team to EA/Take Two ?

Or abandon the deal and move on to Capcom (strong mobile presence) and other smaller pubs. Also secure more deals with third party pubs.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
That's not true. They don't have to launch on gamepass.

It costs them a lot more because you have to pay for every potential lost sale to make it make sense for the person you are asking to be exclusice to you. Figuring most titles go about 2:1 for Sony, some more, then you have to pay more for exclusives to your console than Sony does in return.

Then when you pay for just a timed exclusive, the Sony only fans get mad they have to wait for it. This happened drastically with Tomb Raider. This was to the point that Xbox basically decided that timed exclusives like this wasn't worth it to them any more because it more brand damaging to the people they needed to entice than it was profitable in getting them to switch over.

Edit: Basically, Sony has the market situated exactly where they want it to be to just print money. Microsoft is loss leading to try and get in contention. Microsoft spent most of their first two generations trying to just break the third party hold Sony had, while trying to hang on with exclusives that mostly now dying franchises Halo and Gears basically tentpoled.

Before MGS, DMC, FF, and so on were basically all Sony exclusives that Microsoft was just trying to break the stranglehold on, and eventually got them onto their console. But, Sony had them long enough to create a fervent loyal install base.

Microsoft is trying hard to evolve this market from one Sony has cornered to print money in to something that will disrupt the market and allow them to compete.

This is why if the Regulators say they aren't allowed to disrupt this market from its status quo to compete, it's probably just to the point of running it out for awhile as is and just refocusing efforts elsewhere if it's not feasible.

Microsoft can't win the game by Sony's rules. They have to change the formula. Sony already had cornered this market to where they want it so they will fight tooth and nail to not let the equation change.

That's what makes it so frustrating. Basically business as usual with Nintendo and Microsoft fighting for scraps in the third party market for those AAA games.

Regardless of whether or not you're for this deal, you should want better from the FTC.

Pretty much this. It seems those who defend the FTC's position didn't want this to go through in the first place that aren't really based on any facts.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Speculating is also fun of course.. I wonder if we are at the key moment of this industry where we say a few years from now: 'well, we could have had a competitive Nintendo and Microsoft alongside Sony'

Especially this deal going through would be huge for Nintendo

Still want it to go through so we can see unhinged threeway of coporations fighting at their best

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Starting to worrying a little now, I've bought a decent amount of shares around the 80 dollar mark, if it doesn't go through I could see the price tank for a while...

What can MS do alleviate any potential risks that the CMA ouright blocks the deal in the UK?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The interpretation matters to the case of 'FTC lied' and whatever implications that might have for their case or its credibility or whatever. Of course if their case was already weak, whatever side you fall on in that matter probably doesn't make a great difference. But if an attack on the FTC's case is going to center around the idea that this comment 'lied' about MS & the EC, I'd say the matter of interpretation will be critical. And it caused a kerfuffle yesterday for that reason.

(I don't think there will be that line of attack, or that it won't survive long, because as I said from the beginning I don't think the FTC was quite making the accusation that people thought they were, and I think they'll be happy to clarify that in court if it came up. And others very well versed in the case see that distinction too, and I'd say that distinction also lives in the reason why the EC is happy to comment on whether their decision was misled, but issued 'no comment' on whether in and of themselves specific arguments may have been misleading. [That doesn't imply the arguments were or weren't 'misleading' - but it does recognise a distinction between those two things])
Sometimes, I think some of us take weird points to argue when it does not make sense. It can only be due to bias from where I sit.

Everyone could see it was false, and geared to mislead. The EU has commented and still you argue? That up there is a lot of words, and I cannot fathom what for. What is the end game?

Vonterribad

Jul 17, 2022
Reading the latest update from @Idas and yeah I don't think that this deal is happening. I think MS will pull out in January.

So, then what is their next move would be the big question. I guess this deal would have put them off buying a publisher anywhere close to activision's size.

Maybe go all in on third party deals? I'm doubtful as they would want to own the IP.

If they are just going to get continuously blocked (even on smaller deals) for big tech reasons; I can't see them doing anything, because what is the point?

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Starting to worrying a little now, I've bought a decent amount of shares around the 80 dollar mark, if it doesn't go through I could see the price tank for a while...

What can MS do alleviate any potential risks that the CMA ouright blocks the deal in the UK?
I mean did you buy because you believe that price is fair for an Activision in a world without Microsoft being under them?

Because if you solely bought them on the premise of this deal and the stockprice it would be going to when the deal closes.. That is gambling imo

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
The EC is Microsoft's last hope, so I'm very curious to see what happens there. The EC also mentioned Cloud & subscription serviced (and Operstive systems lol) so really curious to see what type of concessions they give on subs & Cloud.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
The EC is Microsoft's last hope, so I'm very curious to see what happens there. The EC also mentioned Cloud & subscription serviced (and Operstive systems lol) so really curious to see what type of concessions they give on subs & Cloud.
I would give GeForce Now access to Call of Duty, and commit to not make any Game Pass exclusive (and I mean : not available at retail) for the foreseeable futur.

Oct 25, 2017
I think people should be quite wary of trying to infer what the CMA (or EU for that matter) may or may not now be focusing on (and their decisions from those schools of thought) vis-a-vis the deal. It is almost impossible for us, being abstracted from the process altogether, to know exactly which way the wind is blowing at those two regulators. The same happened when the FTC were said to be meeting with Brad Smith and then we had the news around Khan potentially softening her approach - and look where that led.

The fact is that the deal is in about as bad a place as it can be at this moment absent another primary jurisdiction (CMA, EU) blocking it - very very few deals make it back from this point to be approved with concessions. Most are prohibited entirely or abandoned. That's not to say it is impossible but I think people trying to rationalize how Microsoft can squeeze three way around this miss the broader context that regulators, seemingly, just do not like this deal at all - and once that happens your battle becomes pretty significant irrespective of all the sound arguments you might be able to throw back.
This sums it up perfectly.

The fact that it has got to the point where different scenarios have to occur for it to work says it all: "Well, if X happens, then Y could possibly happen. That will allow Z to occur if this specific thing didn't happen with Y, assuming Y happens at all."

Just think of it all more broadly. Think of the tone of all the reports we received since this whole thing started. Taking an article that makes things sound better and running with it is ignoring what is looming up above it all.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
If they are just going to get continuously blocked (even on smaller deals) for big tech reasons; I can't see them doing anything, because what is the point?
This is probably when big tech forms an alliance and threatens to pull out of countries where there are ideologically driven regulators who only see in black and white. That's something that we don't want because the combined power of big tech will absolutely cause governments to back down completely because at the end of the day it's not just gaming, regulators like Khan are targeting almost everything no matter how big or small it is. Sure they could wait it out until a more favorable administration shows up, but it's a worldwide trend and not just in the USA

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I do not think there is a world in which ATVI gets blocked and Xbox stops acquiring. Only in Playstation fan dreams.

They are going to be just as aggressive at talent acquisition as before. Although they will probably try to find more publishers with a mobile component.

Vonterribad

Jul 17, 2022
This is probably when big tech forms an alliance and threatens to pull out of countries where there are ideologically driven regulators who only see in black and white. That's something that we don't want because the combined power of big tech will absolutely cause governments to back down completely because at the end of the day it's not just gaming, regulators like Khan are targeting almost everything no matter how big or small it is. Sure they could wait it out until a more favorable administration shows up, but it's a worldwide trend and not just in the USA
Absolutely, and that is the problem because big tech is an issue, but regulators can't seem to navigate these waters.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
I think people should be quite wary of trying to infer what the CMA (or EU for that matter) may or may not now be focusing on (and their decisions from those schools of thought) vis-a-vis the deal. It is almost impossible for us, being abstracted from the process altogether, to know exactly which way the wind is blowing at those two regulators. The same happened when the FTC were said to be meeting with Brad Smith and then we had the news around Khan potentially softening her approach - and look where that led.

The fact is that the deal is in about as bad a place as it can be at this moment absent another primary jurisdiction (CMA, EU) blocking it - very very few deals make it back from this point to be approved with concessions. Most are prohibited entirely or abandoned. That's not to say it is impossible but I think people trying to rationalize how Microsoft can squeeze three way around this miss the broader context that regulators, seemingly, just do not like this deal at all - and once that happens your battle becomes pretty significant irrespective of all the sound arguments you might be able to throw back.

Yeah I agree. I think people take all reports as truth and then the opposite happens . It happened with the NY post and a couple of months ago with dealreporter when they said that the European Comission had no major concerns, and in the end, they had.

Right now, I only believe what Politico and Reuters say, they have proven to be the only ones to be right all the time.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I do not think there is a world in which ATVI gets blocked and Xbox stops acquiring. Only in Playstation fan dreams.

They are going to be just as aggressive at talent acquisition as before. Although they will probably try to find more publishers with a mobile component.
Ultimately it's about Game Pass content and a push into mobile. If this deal drops and some fans get all happy about it, no for sure MS will go for something smaller but probably more disruptive. They are part of the industry now, this won't change.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021

I agree, they will continue to invest in gaming, however I don't think they will be able to acquire any big publisher after this. Certainly not EA or Take Two and maybe not even Ubisoft. SEGA and others should be fine.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Reading the latest update from Idas and yeah I don't think that this deal is happening. I think MS will pull out in January.

Theres only one publisher close to Activision size and thats EA.

But yea I don't think this goes through. Always look at the glass half empty

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Ultimately it's about Game Pass content and a push into mobile. If this deal drops and some fans get all happy about it, no for sure MS will go for something smaller but probably more disruptive. They are part of the industry now, this won't change.
If Microsft takes the 4+1 publishers the FTC talks about to heart (lol) then you get into publishers that this board would REALLY flip over. At least for this board's sake, ATVI is probably the least offensive acquisition to gamer tastes. When you get past that 4±1 you get into some territory that will cause serious meltdowns. And it is coming. Xbox needs to feed the Game Pass beast.

They never want another 2022 and they are determined to not have one imo.

I agree, they will continue to invest in gaming, however I don't think they will be able to acquire any big publisher after this. Certainly not EA or Take Two and maybe not even Ubisoft. SEGA and others should be fine.

Seems we mostly agree.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I can personally see MS go after two publishers that are in Sony's radar, those being Square and CDPR (not AAA according to the FTC). If they acquire Square Enix for example, they might just pay whatever fee there is to cancel the exclusivity contracts. They wont pull games away from the PlayStation but will certainly limit them from getting timed exclusive deals which should help level the playing field a bit.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can personally see MS go after two publishers that are in Sony's radar, those being Square and CDPR. If they acquire Square Enix for example, they might just pay whatever fee there is to cancel the exclusivity contracts. They wont pull games away from the PlayStation but will certainly limit them from getting timed exclusive deals which should help level the playing field a bit.
I think Square and Capcom is the logical duo to go for if MS wants to "get back" at Sony for trying to derail the ActiBlizz deal. Gives them mobile and Game Pass content for sure and probably way easier to get hold of.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theres only one publisher close to Activision size and thats EA.

But yea I don't think this goes through. Always look at the glass half empty
I agree about EA, maybe they could try for take two? But I really don't think they will try for anyone after this. I think we will see a change of approach and they would rather not go through this again.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
If you take out ABK, EA, T2 and Ubisoft, logically you also need to remove SE and Bamco because they're both bigger than Ubi by revenue.

That leaves you SEGA, Capcom, Konami and WB of the big ones.

Embracer too, actually would be a good way to absolutely stuff GP with content.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I honestly think SEGA is the most likely. They have so much Xbox has publicly stated they lack and can help in areas they are trying to push into. They have kid friendly and JRPG. They have studios to help on PC games especially RTS. They have a long history with Xbox.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
The funny thing is ABK is the acquisition least likely to make people mad. The big game was going to stay multiplat. The Era crowd aren't that attached to COD or most ABK franchises. Many of the more casual fans are less brand loyal and happy to move for the content. If MS continues and aims lower, people will feel it - and they'll come up with new reasons why it's SO OBVIOUS why MS needs to be blocked. Eh. The circle of life.

Play Sony's game or get out of the market. Pay for exclusivity and lock up big games, push everyone else out of the market, and hope the industry doesn't collapse in the process :p

I mean, really, I think far more rides on the success of Game Pass than on the success of the MS/ABK deal. But if Game Pass growth indeed stagnates (hasn't yet) and they can't juice it with major enthusiasm from stuff like major acquisitions, then that does indeed change the calculus. And at that point, yea... Is it even worthwhile to try to take on Sony head on? Every single thing they do will be more expensive because they're not Sony and not Nintendo. Forget Apple and Google, you have zero chance there. Already lost on PC.

People expect Microsoft to spend more money forever (because they can afford it!) just to always be behind and fighting to stay relevant in the market. But why? Sure they've acquired a lot recently, and those investments will come in fairly soon. But I don't expect any of those to fundamentally alter the position of Xbox to Nintendo or PlayStation. It's possible that PS stumbles, makes major mistakes, and can't recover - but boy, PS has stumbled, made major mistakes, and recovered with no issue and limited consumer blowback time and time again (this is a skill, not discounting that).

We're only about 5 years out from when the conventional wisdom was Xbox was dying, leadership didn't believe in it, and shareholders wanted it killed or spun off. Not very long ago. And sure, they will want to protect their employees and see their investments pay off. But just remember that they bought Nokia and essentially killed it because it wasn't working just a couple years in. Satya Nadella came to power at MS and immediately killed a BUNCH of darling projects. There's nothing that guarantees survival in this business and video games is more mercurial than most. Maybe that's a point in favor of the approach of the FTC - small ripples could easily kill Sony, so we have to protect them from Microsoft. Or maybe that's the reason their arguments are so full of crap. Who knows.

But I firmly believe this industry is worse when there is a clear dominant platform holder leader. Xbox isn't going to die or anything if this gets blocked. Far from it. But it will have a negative impact, in brand perception and sentiment if nowhere else. And I don't know how hopeful I am that we will like where everything is headed with an even weaker Xbox. But now I'm just dooming.

We'll see ^^ [I can't say I remain optimistic anymore :(. But I do still think it will close - it's just now accompanied by a lot of outward frustration and negativity about how the process has gone down lol.]

Last edited:

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
If Microsft takes the 4+1 publishers the FTC talks about to heart (lol) then you get into publishers that this board would REALLY flip over. At least for this board's sake, ATVI is probably the least offensive acquisition to gamer tastes. When you get past that 4±1 you get into some territory that will cause serious meltdowns. And it is coming. Xbox needs to feed the Game Pass beast.

They never want another 2022 and they are determined to not have one imo.
But acquiring ATVI doesn't really mean that Microsoft would not have pursued any other publishers? In fact, no regulatory pushback may have encouraged them to continue to consolidate publishers at a rapid clip. They stated regardless of this outcome, they were going to continue to acquire companies.

Second thing is never having another 2022. Their development studios, like many across the board, were impacted by COVID. But as we move further away from the depths of the pandemic, development timelines should normalize. With 23 development studios, not to mention XGP, I don't know how it's possible to not have a steady downpour of quality exclusives.

I still think it will close
Same.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
But acquiring ATVI doesn't really mean that Microsoft would not have pursued any other publishers? In fact, no regulatory pushback may have encouraged them to continue to consolidate publishers at a rapid clip. They stated regardless of this outcome, they were going to continue to acquire companies.

Second thing is never having another 2022. Their development studios, like many across the board, were impacted by COVID. But as we move further away from the depths of the pandemic, development timelines should normalize. With 23 development studios, not to mention XGP, I don't know how it's possible to not have a steady downpour of quality exclusives.
You specifically need to prepare yourself for more acquisitions tbh.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
You specifically need to prepare yourself for more acquisitions tbh.
That's…the entirety of my post though?
I don't think the "people should want ATVI to go through, otherwise Microsoft will really make people mad with some buys," makes sense when Microsoft said they are going to acquire more developers regardless of this acquisition.

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't if AB goes thru, deals for EA or Take Two fail? Like that would lessen their argument of not trying to be anti competitive if they literally buy 1 more major publisher right?

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
At the moment I am leaning 55% this deal failing due to political grandstanding essentially.

The blizzard and activision unions will be busted, jobs will be lost and everyone will go back to "fuck kotick why can't anything be done about him"

Microsoft will be pissed, they won't be backing down or out of gaming and they won't be diminishing their strategies. I can see 3 viable strategies with various levels of nuclear energy in them (in all of them ms will pay the 3B kill fee)

1. Microsoft could buy a perpetual lease on the call of duty IP and the advantage perks swings back to Xbox. League tournaments and other competitive events will masthead Xbox aswell. They could even do a double fuck PlayStation and try to get an exclusive licence deal for all ABK content

2. Microsoft reinvests that money into publishers of a smaller scale that can sign deals and publish games for gamepass at a similar cadence. Embracer / Devolver / sega / capcom / square enix all top of list and all orders of magnitude smaller than ABK and all without a "critical IP" that would "endanger competition"

3. Microsoft pulls the petty card and burns money to bleed Sony dry at their own game. First right of refusal means Microsoft would need to essentially blind auction Sony to find where their pain points are for the IPs they value most but they'll find them and they will deal them

Gamepass growth is a key cornerstone, cloud gamepass is a key business growth corridor that marries 2 of their pillars and they will be damned if they let another government regulator tell them how to run their ecosystems whilst apple and google are left free to run more draconian and for closed markets with impunity imo

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't if AB goes thru, deals for EA or Take Two fail? Like that would lessen their argument of not trying to be anti competitive if they literally buy 1 more major publisher right?

EA and T2 are off the table for Microsoft regardless of what happens with ABK. Too much push back is being encountered where the same issues would not crop up as well with the other 2.

If the deal fails, then Microsoft will probably find someone else that will enable them to make a bigger push into mobile.