Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
It's also insane that the market leader can determine whether or not you're allowed to take a pay out through lobbying.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Sony has no reason to take the deal. The remedies offered to the regulators already cover COD access on PlayStation.

Because days before the FTC decision there was a massive PR campaign going on in favour of the deal. Then the FTC sued.

The same week the CMA released their provisional findings, Kotick was on TV upset saying that regulators dont understand the market and that the UK was going to become Death Valley. The day after that the CMA released the findings.

So, it's kind of a pattern.
Pretty sure there were lulu tweets before EU soft approved too, no?

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
I was about to say this is kind of funny. Also here comes the Lulu tweets. I am guessing the CMA meeting didn't go very well with the behavioral remedies.
I'm a bit behind on the lore but why does Lulu always go so hard with her tweets?I know she's a Activision employee and wants this to go through but as a high level employee aren't those tweets counter intuitive?Not saying she's wrong to post them,just kinda curious.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It's also insane that the market leader can determine whether or not you're allowed to take a pay out through lobbying.
I mean honestly market leaders have always affected markets through lobbying. Hell MS has done it extensively themselves throughout the years.

I'm a bit behind on the lore but why does Lulu always go so hard with her tweets?I know she's a Activision employee and wants this to go through but as a high level employee aren't those tweets counter intuitive?Not saying she's wrong to post them,just kinda curious.
Just look through her twitter. She is amazingly outspoken for a major exec and posts memes pretty often as well. Clearly she is very invested in the deal going through and clearly has the permission of ABK leadership to post this stuff so they must assume it isn't hurting them.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
What kind of rampage are we talking about?

They're still a business and are gonna operate on business sense. I don't see them over paying out the ass for timed exclusives, or buying up studios that don't fit what they're looking for.

There gonna have to do something after promising abk to there userbase an to feed the gamepass beast, I have s feeling well see a unprecedented partnership between abk an ms if cma blocks this deal. But yea they weren't planning in stopping anyway per Satya an Phil

Gotta love how LuLu gets some people so upset for some reason😄

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Basically, MS good cop, ABK bad cop. See Kotick's Death Valley comment too e.g.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. How was Xbox responsible for those games not getting ports? Sony had a crossplay tax that affected all games and they specifically paid for SFV exclusivity. I don't know if they had a contract for FF14 or Paragon.
At the point of the listed games Xbox was blocking cross play fully asx eg the reason why they didn't got FF14.
www.destructoid.com

Square explains why there's no Final Fantasy XIV for Xbox

Unable to share servers cross-platform Microsoft’s policies for Xbox Live are the reason there isn’t an Xbox 360 or Xbox...

What Sony didn't wanted is to lose their revenue due to crossplay as multiplayer games started to be heavy on micro transactions while being the main Plattform of the games. The mentioned crossplay compensation is afaik only for the case when the gamer is using the PlayStation less than 80% or alike.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The question that regulators should be asking now is, "Just how far are you willing to go to block this deal?" Appreciate the honesty, but I'd be taking everything he said with a big ass grain of salt and a dash of side eye at this point.

Agreed, I don't think it would be possible for them not to suspect a lot of these arguments aren't coming from a sincere place. Hopefully due diligence takes precedence, whichever way that ends up falling.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has no reason to take the deal. The remedies offered to the regulators already cover COD access on PlayStation.
Pretty much, Sony hold all the cards here wrt to CoD on PS. They're happy with the status quo where they already have the advantage, and their dominant market position means that MS aren't going to pull CoD off PS so why the hell should they play ball and agree to worse terms? Even if the deal ends up going through, Sony have played this how they should IMO, minus any potential bridge burning with AB.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
Pretty much, Sony hold all the cards here wrt to CoD on PS. They're happy with the status quo where they already have the advantage, and their dominant market position means that MS aren't going to pull CoD off PS so why the hell should they play ball and agree to worse terms? Even if the deal ends up going through, Sony have played this how they should IMO, minus any potential bridge burning with AB.
It's gonna be interesting to see if this gets blocked how the relationship between ABK and Sony evolves.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Pretty sure there were lulu tweets before EU soft approved too, no?
Even the full page ad is just an extension of the conference they had in the EU where Brad Smith had 'Sony's contract' ready to sign. It apparently worked for the EU, so Microsoft must feel like it's a good possibility it will work here. Whether or not they succeed, we'll see.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Poorly timed imo.

It really brings Sony's argument home that Microsoft would rather negotiate through media.

It's not mentioning Sony at all here though... Microsoft trying to garner support has nothing to do with negotiating with Sony, pretty sure Sony was referring to Xbox heads taking press questions to talk about offers to Sony or back pocket agreement Brad Smith, this isn't that.

Last edited:

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
Honestly, I'm kind of worried that if this doesn't go through, punished MS will go on a rampage.

Interesting times we are living in.

Tell me exactly what do you think they're gonna do at this point?

Try to buy another big publisher? EA and Take-Two are the ones that are relevant enough and would face similar issues that Activision is getting due FIFA and GTA.

Try to get some japanese publisher in order to "make Sony lose"? No Japanese publisher is big enough to make the move they want and most of them already have a lot of deals with Sony, so even if they acquire, those deals would be problematic.

Try to get more big AAA day one on gamepass? Not only this could've be made a long time ago and didn't, but most pubs don't see that as worth it. MS itself started with acquisition because it was cheaper than making deals for big games.

The only viable thing they will be able to do is setup up for a new generation, but giving another gen advantage for Sony expand their ecosystem and their user libraries grow is not a smart thing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If Jim said that it makes me wonder if that's all it comes down to. Is sony concerned about what this merger could mean for their position.

It's as simple as this - Sony wants to be able to continue to make deals with an independent Activision, not to be making deals by the grace of their biggest competitor. They've made no secret of that with regs, their pitch to them is that an independent Activision, or independent 'CoD' more specifically, is important to competition.

Last edited:

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
There gonna have to do something after promising abk to there userbase an to feed the gamepass beast, I have s feeling well see a unprecedented partnership between abk an ms if cma blocks this deal. But yea they weren't planning in stopping anyway per Satya an Phil
I can see an unprecedented partnership form if the deal falls through for sure. And yeah, they are gonna continue to buy studios no matter what happens. I just don't see them buying up random studios to spite Sony.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
Sony saying that Microsoft just wants to negotiate through the media falls flat considering Microsoft has signed contracts with Nintendo and Nvidia. The only party that seems to not want to negotiate is Sony.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Even the full page ad is just an extension of the conference they had in the EU where Brad Smith had 'Sony's contract' ready to sign. It apparently worked for the EU, so Microsoft must feel like it's a good possibility it will work here. Whether or not they succeed, we'll see.

I think the EU's decision will probably be in spite of PR activities, not because of them. For MS I think these things are just about signalling to investors that no stone is left unturned… unless they know something we don't about the vulnerability of these processes to political pressure that might be effected through the media.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Tell me exactly what do you think they're gonna do at this point?

Try to buy another big publisher? EA and Take-Two are the ones that are relevant enough and would face similar issues that Activision is getting due FIFA and GTA.

Try to get some japanese publisher in order to "make Sony lose"? No Japanese publisher is big enough to make the move they want and most of them already have a lot of deals with Sony, so even if they acquire, those deals would be problematic.

Try to get more big AAA day one on gamepass? Not only this could've be made a long time ago and didn't, but most pubs don't see that as worth it. MS itself started with acquisition because it was cheaper than making deals for big games.

The only viable thing they will be able to do is setup up for a new generation, but giving another gen advantage for Sony expand their ecosystem and their user libraries grow is not a smart thing.

Oh there's plenty they can do, so many studios out there that they could an probably will acquire, yes they would most definitely increase there money hat bag, if abk wants to be petty things can really get ugly if they go scorch earth an essentially just hand ms marketing rights to cod. An yes Japanese acquisitions wouldn't hurt. Abk isn't this end of the road play, plenty of moves to be made with 66 billion on the table, in fact I'm sure phil an satya have already been gameplanning if this deal fails

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Poorly timed imo.

It really brings Sony's argument home that Microsoft would rather negotiate through media.

what-meme.gif

Last edited:

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Xbox had a requirement that all multiplayer games had to be able to turn off crossplay with any other platforms? Is that still a requirement?
No, they changed that policy and started to push publically for crossplay later (most likely due to their deteriorating market position) hence why there's talk of FFXIV coming to Xbox every so often.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
As opposed to with Sony, who refuses to negotiate?
I am not sure what they are going to negotiate. Sony probably wants a permanent deal and not a 10 year deal. Also going by what was just released today they claim the 10 year offer is very open ended in certain parts when it comes to parity. I doubt MS is going to change their offer very much at this point.

Oh there's plenty they can do, so many studios out there that they could an probably will acquire, yes they would most definitely increase there money hat bag, if abk wants to be petty things can really get ugly if they go scorch earth an essentially just hand ms marketing rights to cod. An yes Japanese acquisitions wouldn't hurt. Abk isn't this end of the road play, plenty of moves to be made with 66 billion on the table, in fact I'm sure phil an satya have already been gameplanning if this deal fails
Even if Sony loses the marketing it still means that they achieve what they probably really want. MS doesn't get COD on Gamepass day 1. Also Sony will still be able to bid for the marketing rights and MS will have to spend on an initiative that doesn't give them Gamepass value.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm confused. How was Xbox responsible for those games not getting ports? Sony had a crossplay tax that affected all games and they specifically paid for SFV exclusivity. I don't know if they had a contract for FF14 or Paragon.
I don't know what happened with Paragon... FF14 wasn't on Xbox, because cross play has to be optional on Xbox and SE didn't want to provide Xbox exclusive servers for the MMO. Yoshi also hated that Xbox FF14 players would've needed to pay for two subscription (monthly MMO fee and Gold). There was no direct blockade for crossplay. SE and Xbox couldn't agree on details.

It's something that needed to be cleared up, and that's obviously the case now. The way MS tried to make a good press out of it was rather childish while they were the blockade for cross-play and the reason why my listed games were published for the PlayStation and not Xbox. However, as we can see, MS had great success calling Sony the bogeyman.
Multiple developers said Sony is at fault for no cross play between consoles. No crossplay for Fortnite on PS4 lead to a massive shitstorm. Sure MS and Nintendo take advantage of the good PR, but MS wasn't alone in this push. Developers and gamers were part of it.

www.theverge.com

Sony is blocking Fortnite cross-play between PS4 and Nintendo Switch players

You can cross-play with Xbox One, PC, Mac, and mobile players, though

I also don't know why it matters that these platforms holders had cross play games before the issues, which happened at different times. FF11 was crossplay between 360, PS and PC. Yet FF14 for example had issues with Xbox and other games had issues with Sony in regards to cross play. Opinion and leadership can change. That's also why these contracts for CoD are so important, because they'll ensure Nintendo and Nvidia get CoD even if Nadella or Spencer leave one day after the acquisition is granted.

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
If Sony's stance is blocking the merger outright, what's there to negotiate? 🤔

Sure, but that ad isn't directed at Sony but the CMA.

It's not mentioning Sony at all here though...

I know. That wasn't my point. Microsoft is currently negotiating with the CMA. What's the point of that ad other than putting pressure on your negotiating partner?
I'm sure the CMA is now more likely to agree on this point with Sony.

That's why it's poorly timed imo.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I am not sure what they are going to negotiate. Sony probably wants a permanent deal and not a 10 year deal. Also going by what was just released today they claim the 10 year offer is very open ended in certain parts when it comes to parity. I doubt MS is going to change their offer very much at this point.
Sony is the one complaining that Microsoft won't negotiate with them.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I think the EU's decision will probably be in spite of PR activities, not because of them. For MS I think these things are just about signalling to investors that no stone is left unturned… unless they know something we don't about the vulnerability of these processes to political pressure that might be effected through the media.
Oh I agree. It was just a counterpoint to those who were equating a full page ad and Lulu tweets to 'it's over, deal is dead'. Point we were making is that Microsoft did a similar thing in the EU and if reports are to be believed, it seems that the EU is leaning to approving the deal.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I know. That wasn't my point. Microsoft is currently negotiating with the CMA. What's the point of that ad other than putting pressure on your negotiating partner?
I'm sure the CMA is now more likely to agree on this point with Sony.

That's why it's poorly timed imo.

Though this may lightly irk them, I think they're probably too professional to let it interfere with their judgment. I'm sure it's not the first time they've seen parties making representations that might be considered a bit naive or as talking past them, so it's probably pretty easy to ignore. In the PF they sort of allude to the squabbling between Sony and MS over deal negotiations, for example, and basically made clear they don't give a f. Similarly about stuff like this, I think they'll easily brush it off as antics not worth much attention.

Oh I agree. It was just a counterpoint to those who were equating a full page ad and Lulu tweets to 'it's over, deal is dead'. Point we were making is that Microsoft did a similar thing in the EU and if reports are to be believed, it seems that the EU is leaning to approving the deal.

Yeah. I think Lulu is just in battle mode and won't deviate from that until this thing is approved.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021

First, you're really expecting they'll spend $69b in such stuff? Come back to reality. They're spending that amount on Activision because it will give such returns. Second, as I said, none of these moves will move the needle for what they need right now, which is the expansion of Gamepass and a franchise that would generate a lot of revenue to keep them afloat. Feel everyone really underestimates what this deal failing means.