• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Something's really weird with the PC version. I'm playing with a Dualshock 4, and aside from the weird button mapping (part of which apparently can't be changed, so the phone is stuck on R2 instead of the Option button, and instead of O/X it uses Square/X for confirm/cancel) it seems to be working fine. Then I pull up the phone menu in-game and the menu just goes nuts. What gives?

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this today as my last game for the year. Overall I liked it enough to recommend = 8 out of 10. The themes, story and body horror for their emotional impact were the best parts. The puzzle platforming was fine but I felt that the various gimmicks could have been expanded upon for trickier puzzles. The janky physics were irritating when they got in the way (like fueling the train by hurling bricks of fuel in) or when you're just trying to grab or climb a box. The voice acting and main song were awful though. There's a slider in the options to turn the voices down but you still hear a bit of it.

I thought the inversion of the typical big boss fight was really cool even if it took me too long to figure out what I was supposed to do.

One last thing, there's 271 donuts to collect, some of which are hidden and tricky to get. There's no checklist or indication on the chapter select screen for which ones, and in what area, you're missing. I noticed this right off the bat from other games I've played that do this and made a list keeping track of how many I had when I entered a new level. This made it easy to follow a guide to collect the 11 I missed. The donuts unlock more texts that provide backstory and context the more you collect so it's worth seeking them out.

Okami handled collectibles my favorite way. A menu shows all the collectible beads. When you highlight one it tells you where it was found and they're listed sequentially. This allows the player to easily determine where the vicinity of a missing bead will be without having to use a guide or blindly search everywhere.
straybeads.jpg

Oct 28, 2017

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just finished the game! I liked it, a nice limbo/inside type of game!

As for the story, i wish the trigger warning at the beginning didn't spoiled the whole thing! It's a bit too cliché too, but these kind of stories definitely needs to happen more, and with a bigger budget! It's nice to see these subject in a good light coming from japan!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game! I liked it, a nice limbo/inside type of game!

As for the story, i wish the trigger warning at the beginning didn't spoiled the whole thing! It's a bit too cliché too, but these kind of stories definitely needs to happen more, and with a bigger budget! It's nice to see these subject in a good light coming from japan!

I mean, it opens by showing you that they're a lesbian couple. So the message of accepting everyone for who they are, etc. is assumed to be related to that.

Unless you're saying they added a content/trigger warning for transphobia, which would be a "spoiler" but a reasonable thing to have. I think word of mouth about the fact that it's about a trans woman has gotten more people to play it, anyway. Personally, as someone averse to spoilers it still might have bothered me to know it in advance, but I also saw it coming decently before others seemed to and I think the execution would be powerful even if you knew it was happening for sure, so...

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I mean, it opens by showing you that they're a lesbian couple. So the message of accepting everyone for who they are, etc. is assumed to be related to that.

Unless you're saying they added a content/trigger warning for transphobia, which would be a "spoiler" but a reasonable thing to have. I think word of mouth about the fact that it's about a trans woman has gotten more people to play it, anyway. Personally, as someone averse to spoilers it still might have bothered me to know it in advance, but I also saw it coming decently before others seemed to and I think the execution would be powerful even if you knew it was happening for sure, so...

yeah you saw it coming pretty early on with the texts and so on, and the triggers warning makes you thing it goes deeper imo!
plus there the clear message telling you that suicide is involved

Anyway I also loved all the imagery and metaphors in the environnments and so on, this was really well done!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I started The Missing a few days ago and just finished it. I thought I was doing way better on the donuts. I needed like 100 more so the ending came quicker than I anticipated. But what an amazing game by Swery. I got hooked on him last gen when a buddy (thanks Bane) brought Deadly Premonition to my attention. Even as a straight white male who will never fully understand what LGBTQ people go through, this game spoke to me more than any game ever. At least none come to mind.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I started this game like a year ago on the Nintendo Switch. I got to the section in the diner and completed the puzzle for moving the body to go outside. Then I came across a game crashing bug every time I tried to go back inside to do the next quest. I deleted and reinstalled the game hoping it would solve the problem, but nope. So I got rid of the save data and then never got the urge to play it again until last week.

I'm so glad I beat this game. It plays pretty poorly and doesn't look amazing, but god I loved the story and themes. I played Deadly Premonition and loved it, and The Missing is just more of that but with more a relatable narrative and themes.

Does anyone know how well this game has done sales wise?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I started this game like a year ago on the Nintendo Switch. I got to the section in the diner and completed the puzzle for moving the body to go outside. Then I came across a game crashing bug every time I tried to go back inside to do the next quest. I deleted and reinstalled the game hoping it would solve the problem, but nope. So I got rid of the save data and then never got the urge to play it again until last week.

I had this bug as well, you didn't need to delete the save as there is a Chapter Select on the main menu. :(
I'm glad you got back to beating it though, what a fantastic game.

Coincidentally enough I got my partner to start it yesterday and he likes it already.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had this bug as well, you didn't need to delete the save as there is a Chapter Select on the main menu. :(
I'm glad you got back to beating it though, what a fantastic game.

Coincidentally enough I got my partner to start it yesterday and he likes it already.

I wish I had known that. Right before the diner I had accidentally caused JJ to fall endlessly upwards into the sky (I was doing the monkey puzzles and I stupidly went a bit too far while upside down). So I thought somehow me breaking the game that way caused some kind of memory leak or something and it was crashing because of that.

I want to share this game with others but I don't think they'll take to it like I did sadly

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Just finished (100%) this today. I knew the overall story beats before diving in but I'm still really impressed that SWERY & Co. decided to tackle such a heavy subject and pull it off as well as they did. I played through it over three different play sessions due to some of the donuts and Sleepys being pretty hidden away. I thought it was a competent platformer with flashes of inspiration from Playdead titles (Limbo & Inside) in terms of presentation and level/trap layout. Tying the progression of the story to the donut collectible was a smart choice imo. Loved the texting interface.

Personal gripes would be the animation length when you'd harm and heal yourself, especially receiving and healing head damage (gravity flip). It just took longer than I felt it should. The super speed "cheat" you unlock for NG+ ought to have been the default speed of movement for JJ I think. I great appreciate the "self-harm" cheats for the NG+ run as well. Made finding the final FK texts a relative breeze.

After finally finishing out my playthrough of The Witcher 3 recently, I needed a game with a much lighter footprint before I tackle the next long title in my backlog, and this totally fit the bill. Easily an 8/10 for me.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, has it really been a year since this released? Crazy.

Has it even gone on sale? I'm interested, but not at 30.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, has it really been a year since this released? Crazy.

Has it even gone on sale? I'm interested, but not at 30.
Unfortunately you missed a sale literally last week (that ended 3 days ago) for the game's 1-year anniversary and for a LGBT sale where it was $10.50 cheaper (cheapest it's been on sale so far on PC).

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, still going back to get all FK conversations later.

Wow, just wow.
Don't really remember the last time I was moved like this with fiction. Ending just kept going.

While none of the symbolism is particularly subtle, I'm glad to look back at the stages and puzzles and see the pieces falling into places on how it relates to the characters. Really amazing experience.