• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
This is specifically regarding the "Man Gives Birth in Finland" thread, though is a pattern that I've seen time and time again in this site's short life-span.

A thread with a totally accurate title, a clear-and-concise OP with all of the specific details about the story, and a link to the article, was uprooted because a large portion of posters seemingly could not handle that the thread title referred to the man as a man, and not as a "transman."

To me, this seems like a pretty cut-and-dry example of Transphobia, transmen ARE men, and while that thread did eventually get locked. The lock message made it apparent that the moderators saw the problem with the thread as not being the blatant transphobia, but just the fact that members were bickering. We need to call a spade a spade, and actively be denouncing these toxic viewpoints, and not reducing these problems as merely "bickering".

I've seen numerous examples of this, posters getting warned over their language for telling other posters posting openly-bigoted content to "fuck off", threads closed due to the fact that things got heated, rather than looking at why things got heated. Users openly promoting rape, and only getting short-term bans.

Before this thread immediately gets locked with a "please discuss this with moderation in private" response, I should state that I've repeatedly talked to multiple moderators and admins in private about my concerns over this stuff, and it's largely fallen on deaf ears.

I don't get this place, sometimes. The entire idea was to create a new site for the community with a more diverse moderation team, but the moderation system seems to put so many restraints on these moderators, that they can't properly moderate on a macro level as to what kind of community we'd like to see ResetEra become, and are forced to hone-in on the micro level, where more concern is placed on the fact that hostile language was used, than the fact that hostile language was used as a response to a bigoted post.

To me, it feels like an example of shitty "respectability politics." It's the same kind of empty rhetoric that people indulge in when they talk about how we shouldn't punch the Nazis, though not to the same degree. It feels like the site bends to be overly inclusive towards the toxic members in it's community, and not to the marginalized members that we should be working to welcome and include in more meaningful ways.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think this will probably be locked as it seems moderation concerns are to be brought up to admins directly through PMs.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a clickbaity title. Something can be factually correct but also misleading. Context isn't inherently bad.

Just my thoughts on that thread. Didn't read any of the bickering.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
The sooner realize Era is just a streamlined installment of the last gaming enthusiast forum with the same nerds who don't bathe and make their same shitty takes on off topic, the better

Oct 25, 2017
My big issue with the thread is that a user who obliquely and (seemingly intentionally) misgendered the subject of the thread.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
I think telling people to fuck off is really bad form. (and i admit im guilty of doing it myself) if someone is being racist ar a twat then report and forget. I know it feels nice to verbally assault someone over the net because its stress relieving but its important to keep things respectable. like I said if they are trash report and the moderation will pick it up.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got banned for "victim blaming" for maintaining that the reason a person was getting "bullied" was because of their abject bigotry.

So yeah I kinda feel you on that OP.

Oct 27, 2017
People like patrol being allowed to shit up threads about police shootings and protests amazes me to this day
Moderation here has problems

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Thread Locked.

As always, you can discuss issues with moderation in private with staff. In particular, if you have issues you need brought up, you are more than welcome to contact me. If I can't help you, I'll get the issue in front of people who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.