• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of LRG's Monkey Island™ Anthology?

• I love it!

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • I hate it!

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

Votes: 168 66.7%

• Total voters

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
As many of you may know, October marks the 30th anniversary of the release of The Secret of Monkey Island™, the beloved adventure game created and designed by Ron Gilbert; written and programmed by Gilbert, Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer; and published by LucasArts (then, still known as Lucasfilm Games).

Spanning five games (and two remakes), the Monkey Island™ series has captured the imagination of dairy farmers for generations, only to be forgotten by Disney (who acquired Lucasfilm in 2012, alongside LucasArts and all of their IP) and locked away in a vault somewhere (next to all remaining DVDs of Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars).

Given that the latest release, Monkey Island™ 2 Special Edition, saw the light of day over ten years ago, in July of 2010, no one was expecting the franchise to make a return - that is, until Limited Run Games announced, during their E3 2019 digital event, that they'd be releasing "definitive Collector's Editions of classic Star Wars games and more" (unfortunately, their blog post with the full lineup has been removed from their website and does not have an archive in the Wayback Machine).

Only a hint of Monkey Island™ was heard, but fans were excited nonetheless. Then came the somewhat underwhelming (and, in most cases, extremely expensive) SW releases, filled with the same items that have become standard in most LRG collector's editions: a metal coin, an enamel pin, a reversible poster, a booklet, a "certificate of authenticity" and three art cards, all packed in a weirdly sized box (not the traditional PC "big box") with very dull artwork. The saving grace, if you could call them that, were the retro cartridges/discs and their action-figure-inspired packaging - which had to be purchased separately, for the most part.

February saw the release of the first Monkey Island™ by LRG: the original The Secret of Monkey Island™ for… Sega CD? Two editions were available: Classic, with a disc in retro Sega CD packaging; and Premium, with, you guessed it, a metal coin, an enamel pin of questionable design, a reversible poster of the same size as the SW ones (18" x 24"), a game manual, a "certificate of authenticity" and three art cards. The game disc came in a regular CD jewel case, and the only extra was an undeniably cool "Ask me about Loom" button. All packed in the same weirdly sized box - but at least it had Steve Purcell's beautiful cover art on the front.

LRG hosted their not-E3 2020 livestream in July, and confirmed that the Monkey Island™ series would be getting a "franchise-spanning anthology box" on PC, to be released in October. Speculation ran rampant among fans, with some wondering if a remaster of Curse could potentially be on the way, or maybe if the Tales episodes had been recovered and updated to run on a more modern version of their engine. None of those things materialized, of course, but that's not LRG's fault.

What is their fault is revealing this lackluster box as the anthology:
8ogK3Br.jpeg

Let me break down its contents:

1. A "certificate of authenticity" signed by only one of the three main people behind the series;
  2. A "Big Whoop Amusement Park" ticket, from The Curse of Monkey Island™, where the park is actually called the Carnival of the Damned [Edit: I've been reminded that this is the name of the carnival at the end of MI2 (spoilers). However, none of the rides mentioned in the ticket exist in-game, which threw me off, as Curse does have some named rides (although still different from those listed). I'm mad that I forgot about this detail and even madder that Curse doesn't get an exclusive item, while Escape does] ;
  3. An 8" x 10" print (that they have the audacity to call a poster) of the "Ultimate Insult", from Escape from Monkey Island™, which incorrectly labels "bronze" as "badass" and interprets the line where the fur meets the monkey's face as a smiley face (original recipe here);
  4. A "disk 22" floppy disk, from The Secret of Monkey Island™, with no indication of its contents;
  5. A USB stick with the games, featuring the logo of Lucasfilm Ltd. (the film and television production company, not the game company) - the same stick that had already been shipped with some of LRG's SW releases, albeit in a different color;
  6. A shadow box that should last no more than 10 minutes;
  7. A "very thick" book with behind the scenes interviews, game analyses, art, production documents and more;
  8. A slipcover box with five undisclosed items (booklets?);
  9. An enamel pin set with seven pins, each with a Guybrush face from a different game (plus the remakes) - three of Guybrush facing sideways; three of Guybrush facing the camera; and one of the Guybrush from Tales in his earliest 3D rendition - I assume someone at LRG saw this image on Pinterest and went with whatever was on it;
  10. The pièce de résistance: a 6" statuette of Guybrush based on his Monkey Island™ 2 Special Edition design, holding an item only available (not simply referenced) in the first game.

If it hasn't become clear from the description, I take issue with their choice of items for several reasons, the most egregious being that the selection appears to have been made by someone who only knows Monkey Island™ from some quick Google searches, and the fact that this so-called anthology doesn't even contain items from all games in the series.

Now, it wouldn't be so bad if it cost, like, 60 or 70 bucks. But this thing costs $160! ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY US DOLLARS. That's $10 more than LRG's recent Streets of Rage 4 Limited Edition, which came with a brand new game ($25 on its own, at time of release), in an actual disc or cartridge (PS4 or Switch), a game case (with reversible cover), a second Genesis case (with different art), the soundtrack in a CD (with separate jewel case), an artbook, a replica metal Genesis cartridge, a roasted chicken rubber toy, a real-sized poster and a 7" statue featuring not only one, but two characters, plus the same contents as their $60 "Classic Edition" (a custom Genesis clam shell case and a SteelBook) - all in a premium box with amazing art.

Compare that to three pieces of paper, a wooden (?) box, the same USB stick you may already own, a floppy disk (most likely only for show), a bunch of ugly pins, a book, a slipcover, and an even smaller statue, available in a bland, black box*. Yeah.

Just out of the top of my head, I came up with 10 items that not only really share something with Monkey Island™, but also have much more fan appeal than the random mass produced LRG crap, while still being cheap and realistic to make, both in quality and scope:

1. A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle, from The Secret of Monkey Island™ (c'mon, that's a given);
  2. A Guybrush Threepwood voodoo doll, from Monkey Island™ 2: LeChuck's Revenge;
  3. A talking Murray, the demonic skull, toy (or at least a paper weight), from The Curse of Monkey Island™;
  4. An empty case symbolizing the nonexistence of Escape from Monkey Island™;
  5. A flask containing the tears of former Telltale Games employees, from Tales of Monkey Island™;
  6. A poster with brand new art by Steve Purcell, just like Telltale commissioned for Tales;
  7. Games in independent physical media, each with its own big box replica packaging with proper artworks;
  8. An "Ask me about Grim Fandango" button, since the Loom one has already been made available;
  9. Cloth maps (or at least prints/postcards) of all major islands in the series;
  10. Dial-A-Pirate and Mix 'N' Mojo DRM wheels.

And that's limiting the selection to only 10 items. You could still include a decent statue of Guybrush, Elaine and LeChuck, a three-headed monkey plushie, an unopenable tiny treasure chest containing Big Whoop™, the imaginary disk for Monkey Island™ 3a… The possibilities are endless!

Just daydreaming about the anthology box we are never going to get makes me even sadder. So, let me finish this write-up with Guybrush's eternal words of wisdom:
guybrush-and-elane-never-pay-more-than-20-bucks.jpg

*Josh Fairhurst, co-founder of Limited Run Games, has mentioned that they were supposed to visit the Skywalker Ranch archives, where the only art that still physically exists is located, but COVID got in their way.

Which begs the question: why not postpone this release until they can do right by the fans, then? I know it's the anniversary of the original game, but it's not like the CE is getting done any time soon. As is always the case with their releases, they'll be accepting pre-orders for an item that may not release for two to four months (and, sometimes, for as long as six months). I'm not a fan of this Kickstarter business model, where you pay for an idea of a project, based on 3D renders and pure FOMO.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I was really hoping for a Ask me about Grim Fandango button as I have the Loom one.

What is REALLY shocking to me is that... HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT HAVE A RUBBER CHICKEN WITH A PULLEY IN THE MIDDLE?!?!!

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
There's more info to come but can't say what's been shown so far makes me want to run out and buy it. I've no interest in statues etc really anyways. But if the book (or books?) that come with it are substantial that might be enough.

Deleted member 3203

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada
agreed. the design is uninspired. yet another worthless statue no one needs (and of a Guybrush design no one cares for). who wantsa. shadow box?

and most importantly, why wouldn't they make replica big boxes of the original two games. that's the whole appeal of limited run, is it not? tapping in to how it was back in the day?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They had bigger plans for it that were scuppered by the pandemic.

I wish they'd waited.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
It disgusts me that the statue is based on the remake design. Also, why is "poster" the laziest possible item from the laziest possible game.

Really the only things of value to me here are the shadow box, the book (if it's good), and disk 22.

Everything else is poorly handled or just... bland, which bums me out because the first 3 Monkey Island games are honestly fundamental to my being.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While this box is really bland based on everything that would have been possible, i'm far too biased toward monkey island to not get it, unfortunately.
Still, what a missed opportunity.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i really appreciate that OP added TM after ever instance of Monkey Island

D8QAPwvXUAA4an7.jpg

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's wishful thinking, but I keep hoping Tim Schafer will use the financial means Double Fine has now to get Ron and Dave back, license the IP from Disney, and make one last Monkey Island™ game.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Are all games included or what?

Yeah, I was wondering this too, but LRG's posts can be confusing at times (such as not always including the price for standard editions).

I guess the games are on the USB? I kind of figured they'd all have discs. And is it all five games plus the two remakes, or just the original versions of the five games?

Last edited:
OP
OP
EeK9X

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Are all games included or what?
Yeah, this may be a dumb question, but LRG's posts can be confusing at times (such as not always including the price for standard editions).

I guess the games are on the USB? I kind of figured they'd all have discs. And is it all five games plus the two remakes, or just the original versions of the five games.

The collection includes all five games in a single USB flash drive.

They don't make it clear if the first two are being released as the Special Editions, but I'd assume so. At least those contain the original games in their code and people should be able to patch them so they become talkies.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most lackluster releases they've put out considering it's price. This thing shouldn't be more than $100 when you looks at its contents. $160 is a fucking joke. LRG's LucasArts collection is looking more a like a lame cash grab every new release they do.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I just want a remaster of Curse using exactly the same assets but in a higher resolution. Why is this such an apparently big ask?

skaertus

Aug 16, 2020
This is a pretty lame attempt to capitalize on some neglected IP. I never felt the need of collecting memorabilia. I could definitely find something better to spend $160. If at least this money would be used to fund a new Monkey Island game...

I wish there was a new Monkey Island game. But Disney is probably not going to allow it, as the franchise resembles Pirates of the Caribbean too much. If Disney has to kill one pirates franchise, it will be Monkey Island and not the series of billion-dollar blockbusters.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that Ultimate Insult poster stuck out at me when I first saw this pic as pretty awful (unless there's some twist to it, like Glow in the Dark or Dunk in Water or something), but the fact that they were in such a hurry with it they wrote "Badass" instead of "Bronze" when the other two things say "Silver" and "Gold" is... really discouraging.

I guess it truly is the Ultimate Insult.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
I booted up CMI last week. Ahhh what a fucking great game. I know a lot of people think the series went to shit after the first two, but I loved the first 3 and CMI was my favorite. Staple of my childhood this series

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty lame attempt to capitalize on some neglected IP. I never felt the need of collecting memorabilia. I could definitely find something better to spend $160. If at least this money would be used to fund a new Monkey Island game...

I wish there was a new Monkey Island game. But Disney is probably not going to allow it, as the franchise resembles Pirates of the Caribbean too much. If Disney has to kill one pirates franchise, it will be Monkey Island and not the series of billion-dollar blockbusters.
I'm not sure if the PotC comparison is true inside Disney, but it doesn't make sense to me, as they don't compete with each other. PotC is definitely more popular in films, but Monkey Island is the biggest one in games. They can definitely co-exist.

Oct 25, 2017
I booted up CMI last week. Ahhh what a fucking great game. I know a lot of people think the series went to shit after the first two, but I loved the first 3 and CMI was my favorite. Staple of my childhood this series
I haven't played it since I was a kid, but Curse was one of my favorites in the series back then. Even had a soft spot for Escape, which was the first one I played on PS2.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't think I've ever heard anyone shit talk curse.

Well I can only say for someone like myself who grew up with the games on Amiga 500 that it was not the perfect sequel I was looking for. The story and the Guybrush American voice acting really turned me off. That's not to disparage his voice acting, it was very good but in the first two games the voice in my head was classic British. It was a great game but I have always been disappointed with it because of my own expectations.

I would never shit talk it though. It is a very well designed game and visually it holds up very well.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks, I already have physical copies of all the games, even if they are not the best format.
I have the Monkey Island Madness CD-ROM that came with the LucasArts Archives Vol. III which contains 1 and 2:
3953-the-lucasarts-archives-vol-iii-dos-front-cover.jpg

Curse of Monkey Island jewel case, Escape From Monkey Island big box edition and Tales of Monkey Island DVD.
It would be nice to have everything in one collection, but not for that price and what's the point anyway of physical on PC. I have everything on GOG, and when I replay the first two I use the ultimate talkie edition anyway, which requires a patch.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
it's crazy that a recent french-language Monkey Island book could get fresh art from Steve Purcell, but Limited Run couldn't be bothered.
That's badass. I hadn't seen that before. It feels like maybe LRG only had the license to get this out by the end of the year and an extra two months wouldn't have made a difference to them. I was hoping this series would get the Jak and Daxter treatment. They clearly put in a ton of effort and those CEs came out great. I don't even think I'll pick this up anymore. The more I look at it and think about what could have been the more I am let down.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I just want a remaster of Curse using exactly the same assets but in a higher resolution. Why is this such an apparently big ask?
Because the high res assets almost certainly don't exist. Things weren't made in 4k back then - hell I believe the original capped out at 480p and looked incredible for the time- and even stuff that was made at higher res isn't preserved. You're basically asking for a full remake, and I don't think the first two MI remakes justified doing the third.

The main easy way to do it would be AI upscaling which looks pretty good but companies don't seem to like that route.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
One would think with Disney buying Lucasarts a crossover between Pirates of the Cariban and Monkey Island should be a fun idea for a game. Speaking of synergy and so on. But I guess this makes too much sense and maybe money for the suits at Disney...

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I was very ready to buy this but now I'm not sure. Such a huge part of my childhood, I just wish it was done justice...hope they reconsider and push this back

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
A USB stick with the games, featuring the logo of Lucasfilm Ltd. (the film and television production company, not the game company) - the same stick that had already been shipped with some of LRG's SW releases, albeit in a different color;
also re: this complaint and a few others, the owner of LRG has addressed the issues in a thread. basically they have contractual obligations to Disney, they don't have access to high res assets and they can't use the LucasArts logo

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
This thread comes at a funny time. Just today had a pretty bad customer experience with LRG over changing my address for their C&C box set, led to me going to visit my old address to retrieve my package after a few failed exchanges with their customer service. Not compelled to buy anything from them again, and as a fan of Monkey Island, this box ain't exactly making me reconsider.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I mean it's a collectors edition, what were you expecting? I've played all the games and yeah, there are some minor complaints there, but egregious? It's a rerelease for super fans already, just don't buy it.

Deleted member 3203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada
That's badass. I hadn't seen that before. It feels like maybe LRG only had the license to get this out by the end of the year and an extra two months wouldn't have made a difference to them. I was hoping this series would get the Jak and Daxter treatment. They clearly put in a ton of effort and those CEs came out great. I don't even think I'll pick this up anymore. The more I look at it and think about what could have been the more I am let down.

sorry, should have linked to said cover to begin with: https://scummbar.com/index.php?newssniffer=readcomment&news=900

and i hear you. this set stinks. it takes a lot for this fan not to buy something with MI in the title, but here it is.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
also re: this complaint and a few others, the owner of LRG has addressed the issues in a thread. basically they have contractual obligations to Disney, they don't have access to high res assets and they can't use the LucasArts logo

From that thread, it also seems they are willing to reiterate a bit on the stuff Disney will let them, so there's a chance some minor improvements could still happen, even if the biggest issues will probably remain.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks, I already have physical copies of all the games, even if they are not the best format.
I have the Monkey Island Madness CD-ROM that came with the LucasArts Archives Vol. III which contains 1 and 2:
3953-the-lucasarts-archives-vol-iii-dos-front-cover.jpg

Curse of Monkey Island jewel case, Escape From Monkey Island big box edition and Tales of Monkey Island DVD.
It would be nice to have everything in one collection, but not for that price and what's the point anyway of physical on PC. I have everything on GOG, and when I replay the first two I use the ultimate talkie edition anyway, which requires a patch.

I loved this thing so much.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they decided to use one of the remaster designs for the statuette lmao

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the biggest insult in this LRG release is that the five games are on a USB Stick.

Like, that's per definition a physical release, I get that, but LRG is supposed to be about discs, carts, etc. This is just five cracked installs on a custom-case USB dongle, that's basically digital lmao. Have a box set with a nice DVD box for each games and then we'll talk.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The fan-made mock-up was certainly far more in-line with what I would have wanted, but even then I'm not sure I would have actually bought it.
I'm just not really a physical collector, and wouldn't have statues on display.

The best part about it was finding out that you can buy those (probably unlicensed) Murray pins, and they glow in the dark.
It got me thinking that a shadow box project might be something fun to do by myself too.

I do hope that they are able to make archival-quality scans of the original artwork for the first two games though - even if it doesn't make it into this collection.
Again: I'm not sure that it's something I would personally buy, but it would be great if they could offer official prints or big-box PC replicas. That artwork deserves to be preserved.

Well I can only say for someone like myself who grew up with the games on Amiga 500 that it was not the perfect sequel I was looking for. The story and the Guybrush American voice acting really turned me off. That's not to disparage his voice acting, it was very good but in the first two games the voice in my head was classic British. It was a great game but I have always been disappointed with it because of my own expectations.

I would never shit talk it though. It is a very well designed game and visually it holds up very well.
What I hate the most is that I now associate Dominic Armato's voice with the character after playing Curse, and the Special Editions.
I can't go back and play the originals without having that voice in my head, and it's just not how I imagined the character to be.

I don't hate Curse, but I don't really care for it either.
I like the art style, as compressed as it is, but never really cared for it much as a game - and was very disappointed in it as a sequel to the first two when I first played it back in '97.
I bought the game again when they re-released it a couple of years ago, and never did get around to finishing it this time.

I have everything on GOG, and when I replay the first two I use the ultimate talkie edition anyway, which requires a patch.
Including this in the collection might have been a nice gesture, if they could have made it happen; but not as the only way to play the original.

What is REALLY shocking to me is that... HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT HAVE A RUBBER CHICKEN WITH A PULLEY IN THE MIDDLE?!?!!
Honestly, while it makes sense as a novelty, it's junk that I'd get a laugh out of once but would never actually want to own.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's a collectors edition, what were you expecting? I've played all the games and yeah, there are some minor complaints there, but egregious? It's a rerelease for super fans already, just don't buy it.
Complaints are more than valid. This is not a release for super fans, that's the problem really. It's not for anyone. You can see that not even the authors of this CE are happy with it, and are going back to redo it.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
From that thread, it also seems they are willing to reiterate a bit on the stuff Disney will let them, so there's a chance some minor improvements could still happen, even if the biggest issues will probably remain.

Good to see they are at least going to try and improve the overall package. Even if they expand on some of the details it would be helpful to know if the package is going to be worth it. Like how many pages is the book? If it's a thick book (100+ pages) I'm in no question. But I have a feeling their definition of "thick" is not likely close to mine. The ultimate insult poster has got to go. It's one of the weaker elements of the package.