• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
How is Portugal number 3? All my relatives do is complain about how the gypsies are running amok..... I'm starting to think it's village gossip.

Also crime is pretty common as my grandma and several of her neighbors are victims of thievery and invasions.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
How is Portugal number 3? All my relatives do is complain about how the gypsies are running amok..... I'm starting to think it's village gossip.

Also crime is pretty common as my grandma and several of her neighbors are victims of thievery and invasions.

Don't a lot of people choose Portugal, despite the different language, as a really nice place to retire? Due to cost, and overall well being?

According to the data set for Portugal within the report, which was compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit(which also does the best cities, countries rankings), crime was rated very low in their scale.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
He didn't reduce it he said "some" and "infiltrated"which is the opposite of reductive and is accurate if not specific. you're doing the very thing you're accusing him of doing by generalizing it as wholly populist.

It started that way and is currently poisoned by internal and external influences and bad actors deliberately creating violence- which you yourself note — and I am in no way defending any of the police handling of the early or late protests. But he specifically called out the influences rather than the whole.

Then I absolutely do not think it's fair, intelligent, and productive to dismiss an entire protest movement for having some members of the alt-right aligning with it, while it is far more varied and complex than that.

The general French public has been in overwhelming favour of the Yellow Vest movement for months, because we all knew what it was mostly about: the middle-class getting economically and socially crushed by Macron's government, and legitimately voicing their grievances through peaceful protests. It was the police that escalated the violence for no legitimate reason whatsoever, through astonishing amount of uncalled for police brutality, which led to the participants of the protests to become more and more violent themselves as an answer to that undeserved police brutality, while the more peaceful ones became too afraid to participate anymore, the government having successfully suppressed their right to protest by making it outwardly dangerous and life-threatening to do so.

I was there, I saw those protests, I listened to those who took part of it. Were you? Have you? I'm amazed at people living 10k miles aways from France having such a firm sense of superiority trying to define a movement they barely truly know anything about in the first place. I don't know where y'all get your news from, but I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to: get better news sources.

Last edited:

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Don't a lot of people choose Portugal, despite the different language, as a really nice place to retire? Due to cost, and overall well being?

According to the data set for Portugal within the report, which was compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit(which also does the best cities, countries rankings), crime was rated very low in their scale.

That's good to know actually, I would like to retire there myself someday since it is where my family is from and the mountain regions have a great climate. It's just disconcerting to hear the old people with their biases spreading the rumors of "rampant crime." It might be just the occasional rumor(s) being blown up with some real cases of thievery as evidence.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
27?, my bet is that with this piece of shit of a president we have (fucking Sebastian Piñera), next year we'll be, at least, 50.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
El Salvador and Guatemala both safer according to this yet people escape there daily to come to the US despite the efforts of the current anti immigrant government. I can see the Trump administration can use this to deny asylum to people from countries higher on the list.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of us do get annoyed with each other in the UK but we are too British to complain, so we end up moaning about it to friends & familes & colleagues instead.

Or I am going to Write a Letter of Complaint 🤣

Nah though it's weird to see Britain on the Peaceful side given the whole Brexit Shite.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The categories US does terribly in are Incarceration, Nuclear and Heavy Weaponry, Weapons Exports, and External Conflicts Fought. The categories the US is middling in are Perception of Criminality, Homicide, Access to Weapons, Terrorism, and Deaths from External Conflicts. All the other categories are in the green.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume I'm insanely privileged being in New York that I guess I'm shielded by what the rest of the US but how the fuck is it so much less safe than DR where I've had to deal with being held up by a gun.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
This has little to do with how safe the country is but more how safe the country makes the rest of the world.

There's a reason the only two countries in the top 25 with any international influence are not allowed to have armies.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then I absolutely do not think it's fair, intelligent, and productive to dismiss an entire protest movement for having some members of the alt-right aligning with it, while it is far more varied and complex than that.

The general French public has been in overwhelming favour of the Yellow Vest movement for months, because we all knew what it was mostly about: the middle-class getting economically and socially crushed by Macron's government, and legitimately voicing their grievances through peaceful protests. It was the police that escalated the violence for no legitimate reason whatsoever, through astonishing amount of uncalled for police brutality, which led to the participants of the protests to become more and more violent themselves as an answer to that undeserved police brutality, while the more peaceful ones became too afraid to participate anymore, the government having successfully suppressed their right to protest by making it outwardly dangerous and life-threatening to do so.

I was there, I saw those protests, I listened to those who took part of it. Were you? Have you? I'm amazed at people living 10k miles aways from France having such a firm sense of superiority trying to define a movement they barely truly know anything about in the first place. I don't know where y'all get your news from, but I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to: get better news sources.

I didn't get the sense he was dismissing it but rather qualifying it. I can't speak for him but he chose qualifying terms. You chose broad terms.

You accused him of a specific rhetorical feint which he didn't commit and now instead of discussing it with him you're accusing me and him of dismissing the entire movement.

You're ignoring his concern and picking a fight. And your assertion that I don't know anything about it is also a sweeping generalization- as is your assumption about where I'm from or how I feel about labor rights and the ability for the public and private sector employees to strike or take other action.

I am not going to capitulate to that or the abuse of free protest by either the French government or outside agitators as if it's a minor detail I'm afraid — and your conclusions are wholly off base. Wrong actually. My family are miners from a few hundred miles from Paris. Striking and public, sometimes violent protests are how they gained what few concessions they did.

Last edited:

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I geussed Afghanistan and Syria as bottom two, but not quite in that order. Would have thought Afghanistan would have pulled slightly ahead thanks to US presence. Huh.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
13, expected Australia around that rank. We try not to start shit but still follow the USA/UK and buy their weapons.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
128th jesus. Wonder what religious groups think of that. Shame their "Christian" country is such a dangerous pos.

Shootings will keep this country in the dark. Alt right groups definitely will keep the number high as well.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France's rank was always in the 45-60th range, so it likely does not have much to do with Macron. France has nukes and is heavily militarized and is involved in many international conflicts, which makes it one of the less peaceful Western countries (it is still peaceful by global standards).
The methodology section is a complete mess, but if I read it correctly military spending is considered a net positive in the absence of armed conflict. It is allocated under "prevention allocated cost"

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm I lived in NZ for 9 years and really question it's #2 ranking, it may not have as many murders, deaths etc but there is much more domestic type incidents (fights, muggings etc). I feel much much safer in Australia despite being a bit lower on the list.

I also expected America to be much lower on the list but it could be because most of their violence always seem to make world headlines more often.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I wish we could see results of Island locations since I live on one as well (or seperately), interesting none the less.

sultrines

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
My country (Indonesia) at 41????

Either the writer is drunk af, or the world has really gone to shit

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
My country (Indonesia) at 41????

Either the writer is drunk af, or the world has really gone to shit
tenor.gif

On a more serious note, yeah we still got issues before claiming to be a peaceful county.
Aceh and Papua for starters and the list goes on for the undercurrents....

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

That's probably a very biased vision. It's pretty safe here. I've been mugged, sure, but nothing major and streets overall feel safe

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I didn't get the sense he was dismissing it but rather qualifying it. I can't speak for him but he chose qualifying terms. You chose broad terms.

You accused him of a specific rhetorical feint which he didn't commit and now instead of discussing it with him you're accusing me and him of dismissing the entire movement.

You're ignoring his concern and picking a fight. And your assertion that I don't know anything about it is also a sweeping generalization- as is your assumption about where I'm from or how I feel about labor rights and the ability for the public and private sector employees to strike or take other action.

I am not going to capitulate to that or the abuse of free protest by either the French government or outside agitators as if it's a minor detail I'm afraid — and your conclusions are wholly off base. Wrong actually. My family are miners from a few hundred miles from Paris. Striking and public, sometimes violent protests are how they gained what few concessions they did.

You keep coming back to me with points that I fail to see how they truly matter, nor how they add anything of value to the main debate at hand. I really try to understand your point, but upon re-reading that answer from that user, you trying to make the argument that their words were merely just qualifying ones, and that no dismissal happened, baffles me. It's like you're trying to tell me no subtext at all was at play here, which, like, never ever happens in any discussion, ever?

That person did try to paint the movement in a certain way, by talking about it in a certain way. Which, again, aren't wrong. But are wholly and dangerously incomplete. Thus making me jump in the conversation to add much needed nuance, context and layer that many would totally miss if they were to create their understanding of the Yellow Vest movement solely based on that user's post. Which would be misinformation, because of how absolutely incomplete (thus reductive by nature) it was, and how dismissiveness was therefore implied in the subtext. Whether it was intended or not is another debate you and I can have ad nauseam, but only that user could clarify that, and I don't quite understand why you keep coming at me with the "maybe that user didn't intend it!" as if that somehow was the utmost important thing to debate here? Words are words, I can only base my rebuttal from what was written here, and that's what I'm countering with my words, not an intent that I cannot grasp since they're not here to clarify it in the first place. You can make the point that I'm projecting people to have the worst intent with their words, and I'll then have you notice that I had to deal, for months, with countless of people, either in media (locally or internationally), or in government(s), trying to use those exact same statements that user made, in order to dismiss the entire movement altogether, times and times again, and that I will therefore default to that position every single time I see someone trying to, yet again, take that particular stance I can now recognize from miles away, and make those particular statements, with all the subtext they always imply. I'm not the one who should expect people to have pure intent here, not after what I've been through and seen. That user is, however, the one who maybe should make sure to clarify their intent while speaking about this issue in such incredibly reductive ways.

You then jumped in, playing semantics with me to make a point somewhat, instead of understanding my point of view of why I was doing what I was doing. In this case, I don't think intent should matter as much as the result, and the result is their portrayal of that particular movement, was dismissive by the very sheer nature of how they chose to qualify it. Let's not make the debate that purely qualifying words cannot be used in a statements that could end up looking dismissive by nature, because that would make no sense to me. However you are right in saying that it maybe wasn't their intent, and that I projected without knowing, but 1/ I fail to see how that detail should have such importance in the bigger picture that is this discussion, to the point of you deliberately emphasizing on it repeatedly like you did, and 2/ if that is the case, the user can answer to that, and tell me if I'm wrong, and I'll apologize. But again, their initial statement, looked dismissive to me, prone to spread misinformation by its sheer reductive nature, and this is why, as someone who was close to it, witnessed it several times, supported it like the majority of my fellow citizens, felt the need to rectify that reductive statement, because of how incredibly dangerous it can be in the first place.

Trying to paint it as a majorly alt-right movement, is probably what, ironically, led a lot of Alt-right parties in countries all over the world to adopt it in aesthetics ways while also failing to truly understand its true nature, because of the spread of misinformation about what the actual movement was about in the first place.

That movement did indeed have an alt-right component to it. That was however very much not the majority of it. And I do not think that social and political protests have to be pure from any alt-right participation, in order to be valid, to be taken seriously, and to be legitimate. I have seen however many leftists people (friends or otherwise) trying to dismiss the entire movement altogether, because of its alt-right component, as if the entirety of it was somewhat tainted because of the alt-right participation, which is something that I have been vocally denouncing, as, again, this leads to its mischaracterization, and legitimates dismissive stances about it, I find that incredibly dangerous. A populist movement does not have to justify political purity to have complete legitimacy. (This last paragraph is just me adding yet another layer to my explanations, and not a rebuttal to any specific thing you said, just in case).

I will however apologize for any unnecessary assumptions that was probably made in the process, it was indeed not fair to you in the first place.

Last edited:

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Kosovo is a more peaceful country than the United States. Let that sink in.

We really, really need to change.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of us do get annoyed with each other in the UK but we are too British to complain, so we end up moaning about it to friends & familes & colleagues instead.

Or I am going to Write a Letter of Complaint 🤣

Nah though it's weird to see Britain on the Peaceful side given the whole Brexit Shite.

You can also look at it as there are like 23ish European countries higher than in the table, which is a better barometer I think of where we stand.

Happy to see Ireland so high, the family would be pleased.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Australia doin' alright.

Africa generally a bit of a mess but had to smile at Botswana in there just quietly chilling at #30.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

Probably village gossip and anecdotal experiences (and the Portuguese love for 'chatear'), yes.

If I'm not mistaken crime rates in Portugal are amongst the lowest in Europe. You can also click on the map to see the various variables they rate on, and what rating they gave. I'm not saying your relatives don't have those problems of course. But generally, the country is safe from a lot of crime and conflict.

I've never felt unsafe in Portugal (I'm there for about a month a year, and I did extensive travels trough the country). Of all the countries I've been too, it's probably the one I feel most safe in. And I had gypsies camping on the field next to my place a couple of times. Only those homeless guys 'helping' you park and asking for money are a real nuissance, but I only encountered those in the Algarve.