• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Hell, let me go live on one of the most peaceful countries on the "Top Countries" list.

I'll take somewhere like Portugal, Iceland, Canada, Singapore, New Zealand or Japan anyday over staying here in the US.

Last edited:

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Such nonsense that the US is that low. It's absurd that it's within the ranks of many of these other countries, which are objectively unsafe.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Next year we'll take that second place from you, New Zealand.

...er, I mean, peacefully exchange views regarding a friendly, courteous switch in positions.

Best regards,
Portugal

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Such nonsense that the US is that low. It's absurd that it's within the ranks of many of these other countries, which are objectively unsafe.

It's not the 'most safe countries'-list, it's the 'most peaceful countries'

So it's not only about security or crimes. It's also about for instance the availability of weapons, if the country owns nukes, if it is active in foreign conflicts, etc. The US scores bad on a lot of these points.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of amazed Canada is above Japan. Whenever I go to Japan I can feel the peacefulness. The fact that you could leave your bag out in public and not have it stolen. Whereas Canada is a place where we do have very visible drug issues and homelessness, and your shit will probably get stolen if you just leave it somewhere.

And I wouldn't have thought Korea is that far below either of us (though still on the better side of things).

I guess the lesson is that I can't "feel" these things very well at all. Stats tell the real truth.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

With all of the shootings & crime that happens on a daily basis here (including school shootings & mass shootings)? Not to mention racism?

It deserves to be ranked very low.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Another big reason the US is so low is its gigantic prison complex. The US contains about 22% of the world's prison popation, as well as having the highest rate of imprisoned people in the world. Higher than literal police state dictatorships.

Or at least that's how it was last year when I read the report. But I doubt anything has changed in a year.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm kind of amazed Canada is above Japan. Whenever I go to Japan I can feel the peacefulness. The fact that you could leave your bag out in public and not have it stolen. Whereas Canada is a place where we do have very visible drug issues and homelessness, and your shit will probably get stolen if you just leave it somewhere.

And I wouldn't have thought Korea is that far below either of us (though still on the better side of things).

I guess the lesson is that I can't "feel" these things very well at all. Stats tell the real truth.

Looking at the detailed stats, Japan loses points for "Nuclear and heavy weapons" and "Neighbouring countries relations" compared to Canada.